• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2008 June Pie Run Report: Hico, TX 6/28 Koffe Kup

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Wagner
Re: Pie Run VI: Koffee Kup, Hico TX, 6/28 11:00 AM

Wel made it back home in one piece, pie was good and the company was fantastic. The mix and styles of bike was amazing, as well as the people that came. I had a blast Chuck, Susan and Soozy thanks for a great ride down.

I got there early and soon after Soozy rolled in
200806280001.jpg

200806280003.jpg

Chuck and Susan rolling in on time
200806280006.jpg

The elusive Chuck caught on film
200806280008.jpg

I rode back with JHB and we moved at a pretty good pace, legal speed limit +++. Nice and quick return home, I tell you keeping up with the FJR was challenging for Strom but not to challenging. I have decide I need an FJR to put in the garage for long runs, eh maybe not only one at a time per wifey.

What a day (except for the heat)

The day started out a little rough for me. Couldn't find the Camelbak backpack; somebody's been organizing around the house. The time spent finding it proved worthwhile later in the day. I almost turned back 15 minutes into the ride; I just felt like I wasn't clicking with the bike and wondered if it was a day to turn around and not push my luck. I was so looking forward to the Pie Run, though, I pushed on at an easy pace and the early morning jitters finally went away. I was looking forward to a good solo ride, yet meeting up with all the great folks of TWTEX.

Chuck's route was great. 203 just west of Glen Rose was a great road, as was FM 927. In the rockiest places along the road, there were some really cool pink flowers--each bloom about 3/4" across. Have no idea what they are, but here's a pic:

200806hico04.png

I'd hoped to catch Chuck's group along the way, but found out later they were way ahead of me. Just outside of Fairy :wary: I stopped at this cool overlook by the cemetery.

200806hico02.png

As I was packing up, a group of 4-5 sport bikes passed by led by a nice looking yellow Duc ST4. I caught up to them at 281 and they were doing construction at the bridge just south of Hico. Yousers, it was hot waiting for them to open up the northbound. Unfortunately the Duc forgot to put its sidestand down and fell asleep. :sleep: I guess technically it didn't happen since there were no pics.

Arriving right at 11, I snapped this pic from across the street as I gassed up.

200806hico03.png

Burger was good, pie was good. Had the privilege of sitting with Chris (Stinky?) and Christie.

The ride back was H-O-T. If it weren't for my Camelbak, I think I would have been turned into jerky by the time I got back to Plano.

200806hico01.png

Great day despite the heat. Awesome to see all the rides in one place. Just a tad over 300 mi for the day.

Last edited:
Thanks for taking us wimps along for part of the ride, Trakker! Nice pics.

I had planned to meet up with you at E's, but just could not get it going in time. Instead, I rode over to the Celebrate Freedom venue in Frisco with about 200 other bikers, 2 sport bikes, and 1 dual-sport. Next time!

By the way, I think the flowers are roses -- they just look that way because they partly evaporated... :sun:

Now let's hear it from the other 95 of you.

This was my first pie run. Good ride, good pie. Talked with lots of folks and saw lots of bikes. See link to some pictures.

http://wideglide.blogspot.com/

Bigman :clap:

Last edited:
Re: Pie Run VI: Koffee Kup, Hico TX, 6/28 11:00 AM

I rode back with JHB and we moved at a pretty good pace, legal speed limit +++. Nice and quick return home, I tell you keeping up with the FJR was challenging for Strom but not to challenging. I have decide I need an FJR to put in the garage for long runs, eh maybe not only one at a time per wifey.

I was trying to outrun the heat:trust:

I was not into riding around sight seeing at 99 degrees so the more direct route the better. I was glad to see that 2431 (I think) was in good condition all the way to bluffdate. Be carefull the FJR power is intoxicating, if you drive one you may force yourself to buy one.

I want to complement Chuck for communicating with the resteraunt so well. That was a comletely smooth and fast event, I was able to sit down, order and eat in about 30 minutes, Ponder could learn a few things from the Koffee Cup.

Great day, a little hot though.

Also not sure what the guy's name is from Whichita Falls that I met today but judging from the radar now I hope he missed the storms that just went through it.

Had a great time. Thanks to FWRex for leading a great ride, even though someone decided to wander a bit. :lol2:

Can't wait to see the pics that everyone took. The cameras were everywhere! Looked like a Japanese group tour through New York City. :lol2:

Last edited:
Good times... Good times...

After eating some pie I came out to find a new addition to the Sprint.

I guess I get the bonehead award. Right before we left, I swear Mark said Kelly was going to roll down to Cranfill's Gap then to Hico to get in extra riding time. So when I saw him turn off behind me, I didn't think anything of it. I misread the sign at somewhere north of the speed limit and thought he had turned onto 56, when in fact it was I that had missed the turn to remain on 51. Didn't realize my mistake until I was another few miles down the road. When I got back to 205 no one was around and I got a bit lost and ended up almost in Stephenville. Hitting the turtle was the highlight of the day.

The plan for me was to blitz down 51 to 205 then wait on the group so I could fall back in the ranks and cruise along the rest of the way. My little wrong turn blew that plan, and I became the guy that broke the first rule of group rides. "Don't pass the guy with the map unless you are 100% sure of where you are going."

On the bright side.....I now know my bike's range at those speeds....and it's not far. Thanks to Mark(igo-wfo) for coming to my rescue with the big yellow fuel barge. Thanks to STScott for stopping by to heckle me. And thanks to everyone that took care of Kim while I was missing. I owe you folks big time. I did get within 15 miles of the Koffee Kup though. Made for a pretty crappy day on my end. Although, getting grub at Coyote Loco was fun.

Looks like its time to get a GPS or start carrying a map so this doesn't happen again. Something as simple as having a decent little map stashed under the seat would have allowed me to get back on track and catch up to the group.

Almost forgot, it was nice to meet STILLSMOKEN as he stopped by in the cage to chat with us right after Mark showed up with the gas. It should also be noted that a handful of motorcycles stopped to check on me as did a nice lady in a Ford Ranger that gave me a bottle of water.

Last edited:
WHEW!! back home at about 4:15 after stopping in The Gap for a DP & for a burger in Crawford.The hair driers were out this afternoon!...Surprised to see more people than I expected show up at the Exxon near Speeglville for my County Road Tour d Pie.GREAT! bigman BIG A Rick M &...sorry I can't name you others.Hope everyone enjoyed the ride.
Tons o bikes(& people) at the Kup.Lots of ya'll seemed to be from the Houston area...Well just people from all over.Anyone keep track of the farthest distance travelled from home? Got to talk with some guys I met from the Hammonds V Strom Meet earlier this year too.I didn't get as many pics as I wanted but here are a couple.
BIG THANX TO CHUCK,you seem to be good a getting things sorted.
Rod
TieDyePieGuy Mr2mch

Attachments

• PIE...BIKES...PEOPLE...HICO 6-28-08 001.jpg
    PIE...BIKES...PEOPLE...HICO 6-28-08 001.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 269
  • PIE...BIKES...PEOPLE...HICO 6-28-08 003.jpg
    PIE...BIKES...PEOPLE...HICO 6-28-08 003.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 272
So....tell us....when you passed Kelly was the scenery all pinpoints like in Star Wars when ships go to "hyper speed" ?

That might explain why you missed the sign. :rider:

And yes....I had to stop by and heckle....riding by letting John know he was "number one" in my book was just not satisfying enough!!!:lol2:

So....tell us....when you passed Kelly was the scenery all pinpoints like in Star Wars when ships go to "hyper speed" ?

That might explain why you missed the sign. :rider:

And yes....I had to stop by and heckle....riding by letting John know he was "number one" in my book was just not satisfying enough!!!:lol2:

I expect nothing less from a donut disposal.:lol2: Sorry I missed all the fun in Hico. Putting a map in the bike right now.

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!!!

The Schwartz is strong in this one. :lol2:

If you got that joke, then your Schwartz is as big as mine.

After they disappeared ahead of us, I overheard Mini-Pacman talking to his father...

Mini-Pacman: What happened? Where are they?
Pacman: I do'nt know sir. They must have hyper jets on that thing.
Mini-Pacman: And what do we have on this thing? A Cuisinart?

:rofl:

Shades of last year!!!! :eek2:

Rode to Jacksboro this morning to meet my son,jetfz'r from Graham.
Really enjoyed the ride down FM4. Had a twenty minute detour at Santo to stay on track. (bridge out) The detour took us east to US281 and then south to almost the Interstate and west back to town.
At Lipan we turned south on 1189 to 1188 with a little jog east on 377 to catch 2481 south nearly to Hico. 220 finished the leg in and we arrived about 11:08a.

Lunch was great and I think they had every employee on duty. Service was excellent and food delivery was lightning fast. (speaking of lightning)

When we parted company with the other TWTEXn's we headed up to Stephenville to catch 108 north. At I20 we swapped bikes and then rode to Gordon, Strawn, Caddo and then up the west side of Possum Kingdom Lake and into Graham. We got there about 3:20p
Boy could I use an FZ6. That bike is a hoot on the twistys.:rider:

Plopped down on my son's couch and the next thing I know is BOOM!
Thunder and lightning coming fast. I checked Accuweather and saw a massive storm front headed ESE and closing fast.

My son suggested leaving the FJR at his house and taking his Jeep home.
Not so much. :mrgreen:

I lit out at a really brisk pace. I would guess there were 30 to 40 mph side gusts most of the way. Seems the faster you go, the less effect the gusts have. :lol2:

Roads were wet and mist blowing in Bryson, cleared by Jacksboro, total downpour in Bridgeport, clearing by Decatur and then I knew I was okay when I hit the wave of heat 10 miles west of Denton.
Wind gusts and blasts all the way.
Graham to Denton in 65 minutes.

Yes Brad. The FJR power is intoxicating.:sun:

Last edited:
We need pictures and a complete list of all who attended, Mr. Pie Man!!! :eat: :trust: :lol2:

I gave up on the list - it was like trying to organize an anthill. :giveup:

I *DID* force a lot of folks to make nametags. Now, if everyone will just mail me their nametag to show that they were there... :roll:

I was thinking I should have printed up the "final" list and checked people off but there were people there that didn't post on the Pie Run thread, got up this morning and just decided to drop in! :rider:

I am sure we had over a hundred peopl but don't have an accurate count and may never have... :shrug:

After they disappeared ahead of us, I overheard Mini-Pacman talking to his father...

Mini-Pacman: What happened? Where are they?
Pacman: I do'nt know sir. They must have hyper jets on that thing.
Mini-Pacman: And what do we have on this thing? A Cuisinart?

:rofl:

Surely Pac Man could have gone to Ludicrous speed to catch up!!! :lol2: :rider:

How close did you get to Stephenville?

(I'm late with the pictures - I got home and took a nap :yawn: )

From the map Mark showed me, I was within a few miles of Stephenville when I talked to them. I stopped at CR 178 and 205. This is after I had boneheaded down 56 to Hill City then turned around. Got to 205, waited a few minutes, back tracked 51 to the 51/56 split to see iif I saw anyone from the group. Then turned back to 205. I stopped at 205 and 2870 to try and call....waited a bit, then moved on down the road. I hit a turtle which really sucked so I stopped and caught my breath a bit and tried calling again. Still nobody to pick up so I rolled on some more to CR 178 and called....no answer. Then Kim called back as I was putting my helmet on. Got directions and cut back to 2481 to catch 67. Low fuel light came on before reaching 67 so I turned toward Glen Rose hoping to find a petroleum oasis......ended up plumb out of go juice at 220 and 67.

Back