• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Not bad for the first solo trip.

Soozy

Reaction score
I made it out of town at 6am today (Sunday) for my first solo trip on the scooter. I intended to do the ride in 2 days, but I was having so much fun, I just kept going. 780 miles later, I arrived at Buena Vista, Colorado.

There were good adventures on the way, the scooter ran perfectly, and I am too tired to post anything else right now. So, until then know that I AM HOOKED! This is a great way to travel!

Thank you to Curtis again! I could not have gotten on the road without his help. He took hours out of a rare day off to put the new tires on the scoot.

Woot!!!!
:clap: :rider:

That is just too cool Soozy! You will have to give us a trip report when you can. :sun:

WOW!!!!! :tab:tabSoozy!!

Way to go, and go, and go................

:thumb: Curtis

Awlright! :thumb:

Does this mean you won't be at the M&G on Tuesday? :scratch:

I saw you early Saturday morning (~7:30 or so) heading west on 303 from Green Oaks (I was headed to Lowe's). I figured you were heading to the Blue Hangar for breakfast...

Enjoy the cool temperatures!

Have fun!

just sayin ...
204840179-M.jpg

Good for you. I put 545mi. on it one day and I was tired at the end of the day.

Have fun, be safe, take lots of pics, and post when you can.

Soozy! I was wondering if you decided to make this trip! So, are you camping on the side of the road like you thought you'd be? :thumb: I can't wait to hear all about it! Have fun and be safe...

:popcorn:

That's great to hear! Hope you enjoy the rest of your trip just as much.

OK here goes...Leaving early. Hannah (Komodore Obvious) outfitted me with an IPod Shuffle.
IMG_0004.jpg

I was thinking that it would be roasting through the panhandle so I planned on stopping when I felt like it. I stopped in some town between Wichita Falls and Amarillo for gas and breakfast and I ran into a couple of BMW riders I had passed earlier who were headed for Gillette, Wy, for the International BMWOA. They left before I thought to get pictures. But another tank of gas later, and there they pull up again. This time I snapped and here are my new friends Bruce and Randal with their old school Beemers.
IMG_0008.jpg

Turns out, this is Bruce of Boxers by Bruce whose shop is in Arlington across from my son Seth's shop. I received an invite to the big rally.
I was amazed at the weather on this day. It rained on me and was overcast from WF to Texline. Heat was not a problem, but I was so cold I was thinking about stopping. A Harley rider at a gas stop had told me the clouds would break up near the border. Well, he also wanted me to know that he makes his wife wear a helmet now. I was staring at his missing tooth as he spoke. It is OK folks, I was in first stage of hypothermia. Down the road the sun broke through and flooded me with warmth. Thank you Mr. Harley Guy!
IMG_0009.jpg

I made Raton and stopped at the overlook. Dorothy, we are not in Kansas anymore!
IMG_0011.jpg

Suddenly my next boyfriend on this ride arrived. Craig was headed the same way I was.
IMG_0013.jpg

He helped me out with a picture, and we took off. He had asked about the route to take and I told him take the Wallsenburg exit. He should have known I meant the 3rd Wallsenburg exit that says nothing about Wallsenburg. Men! I saw him exit early. That ended that relationship.:lol2:

The correct exit takes you onto 69 which runs through a very scenic valley. I was feeling very alive and loving on the scenery. Stopped to share some with you and discovered that the memory card was full. This one came with the camera, but the 2 gig one I had was packed deeper than I wanted to unpack. I REALLY regretted this when I caught up to the only other vehicle I saw on this stretch...a horse drawn carriage.
I arrived in Buena Vista while it was still light and tried to find Joe, my brother. I didn't have his number in my phone because that is no challenge. I rode around town a few times looking for his yellow bug, but I found the tiny Topaz Inn and was more interested in sleep. My odometer read 781 miles.
Coming up....River Betty. A hole in the river. My amazing brother.

It's about time you logged in again! I figured you just took off and did another 780 miles in the general direction of Alaska! :rider:

Now, if you mentioned that you were taking this trip last Friday night, I must have missed it. Seems like it was hush hush... :trust:

I woke myself up with my own snoring on this morning. Much like any morning. So I went walking so I could learn how to breathe at 9000 ft and so I could find breakfast. Joe's shop, Mountain Computer Wizards, was still closed. I was just crossing the main street when emergency vehicles zoomed toward me, so I did a quick retreat. Heard my name called and thought maybe I didn't retreat fast enough and was being called home. Turns out it was Joe sitting in River Betty at the intersection. "See ya at the shop, Joe!"

Where's Waldo?
IMG_0022.jpg

My brother is prettier than I am.
IMG_0015.jpg

He is very proud of his 1966 bug, River Betty. He recently purchased her for 200 dollars. She had not been started in 10 years, so he drained the gas and put in fresh, and put a new coil on. Drove her away.
IMG_0020.jpg

Notice the sticker on the dash. Anyone know what this is? Let's see who knows.
IMG_0019.jpg

OK...here are some local 'things'. A River Betty is an important invention used by river rats (those who love to raft or kayak on the Arkansas' wild white water). Notice the lady with a paddle sticker in the window. What is a River Betty you ask? It is a floating sealed gimbled contraption that in a flip of a raft will prevent the spilling or loss of your beer. I told you it was important.
IMG_0023.jpg

The other sticker...N.B.D. is for No Big Deal. It symbolizes the pace and attitude of life here.

Columbine. Beautiful flower, especially when in focus.
IMG_0024.jpg

This is a picture of Cambodia, aka Cambo. A local owns this land and lets the Rafting companies launch here. Many river guides live here during the season. We helped mix and pour cement to set the poles where a nice outdoor kitchen is being built. The river is behind those trees.

IMG_0026.jpg

As promised...the Arkansas.
IMG_0027.jpg

There is a calm spot perfect for launching.
IMG_0028.jpg

More on the way!

Great pics. So how are you liking the mountain roads and cool temps? Silly question..... you are loving it!

My guess at the maneuvering speed deal comes from aircraft.... It is the maximum speed at which full control can be applied. Can River Betty do 134? Downhill?? maybe?? ;-)

Great pics so far, Soozy. The Maneuvering Speed sticker is from a plane. Which plane, I don't know.

And River Betty can do 134 MPH in the same fashion as a TW200 can . . . straight down.

This third day contains a lot of fun! Joe actually does have to earn a living here so all of what I post for this day will be basically a day in the boring work life of Joe. Stick around, it is good.

There is a place on the Arkansas called Zoom Flume where rafters are liberated from their rafts with some frequency. It is a wild and remote place and makes for beautiful pictures. Josh set up a business photographing every
person who floats by everyday. (Like Kilboy) He used to send film with runners three miles out back and forth all day. Then digital had the runners carrying memory media out. Soon Joe helped him set up a wireless base so the media could be uploaded to the net through the day. Now they are cooking something faster up. This required a trip in for experimentation. River Betty is a great four-wheeler and got us miles in toward Zoom Flume. The last mile had to be hiked. Here are a few shots going in. So beautiful.
IMG_0034.jpg

IMG_0035.jpg

IMG_0036.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

IMG_0041.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

The cliffs beside the river are 200-300 feet high. I found a rocky overhang that made a pocket of shade and hung out there while Joe and Josh did their jobs.
Two feet above the river. My toes did get sunburned.
IMG_0048.jpg

There is a hole in the river right in front of me. This was a very fun place to hang out because for some reason the river guides were not avoiding this hole.

When the river has a drop of several feet, it creates a situation where the water is shooting down stream into the hole and making a backwards wave that flows hard upstream back into the same hole. Several things can happen.

1.You can pass right over it safely because your raft is aimed just perfectly.
IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0045.jpg

Backwards works too!
IMG_0046.jpg

2. You can take a sudden load of water into the back of the raft which shoves it under while popping up the front. This is called a highside and everyone must throw themselves at the high side to prevent a flip.
IMG_0051.jpg

IMG_0052.jpg

3. Frequently a rafter becomes a swimmer if they are on the low end. A fall into a hole can leave one pinned at the bottom. Usually you pop up and sweep down stream and get picked up. Or you get a guide going in to yank you out.
IMG_0047.jpg

4. You can get the raft stuck in the hole and basically surf in place. My camera has to recover between shots, so you can see how long this raft is in this hole. Count the people on the raft...6
IMG_0056.jpg

IMG_0057.jpg

Now there are 5. And no head popped up. The guide is watching 360 degrees and barking commands to get the boat out of the hole. His guy is under them.
The boat doesn't budge.
IMG_0058.jpg

IMG_0059.jpg

Next boat in the trip shows up making the same mistake of heading for the hole,
IMG_0060.jpg

but safely knocks them both loose and the swimmer pops up.
IMG_0061.jpg

OMG! I am so gorgeous!
IMG_0055.jpg

I thought it strange to see two people in wet suits walking along the river in such a remote spot.
IMG_0050.jpg

I had a lovely little visitor. Can anyone ID this bird? Zoom in. Bright yellow body with a red face and black and white on the wings. About the size of a sparrow.
IMG_0062.jpg

Here is some fun. Hold my beer and watch this.:trust:

IMG_0065.jpg

IMG_0066.jpg

IMG_0067.jpg

Joe did the trek in and out 4 or 5 times over the cliffs, you know, all in a days work. Josh's wife handed us a plate FULL of homemade chili relleno and a bag of jello shots when we got back to town. I was exhausted and slept under the stars that night. I snore so I fear no animal attacks.

Soozy, I am just blown away. I know you will have the trip of your life. Enjoy and bring back a jar of mountain air for me.:sun:

Back