• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

My Mexican non-adventure adventure.. or something like that...

Destin is about 5 hours from Lafayette....Ft. Walton is even closer. That's where I'd go if I were looking to take the wife to the beach...just sayin'. I miss the Florida beaches.

I spent my last night of the trip in Port Lavaca, Tx. I had a view of the bay from my room at the Motel 6.

By the way, let me just say that I actually enjoy Motel 6's. They are always clean, basic and cheap. What more do you need?

From Port Lavaca, I continued north until I hit Galveston. I didnt realize there was a toll on the south end of Galveston Island. I spent my last $2 cash crossing onto Galveston Island. But, it was better than being inland.
P7080169.jpg

I got a kick out of the colorful houses.... millions... ****, billions of dollars worth of real estate along the Gulf coast's hurricane strike zone. I don't get it... but I've never lived on the coast before.
P7080163.jpg

Apparently the United States... even Texas compared to Louisiana.... is more civilized than Mexico.
P7080174.jpg

There were at least 10 signs saying that it is illegal to line skip. Up to $500 fine. Great..... I didnt need the fine.... so I decided to wait in the back of the line. I was the 5th to last one on.... and the last person off the ferry. I wheelied off to show my disliking to American laws about ferry boat line skipping.

Of the dozen or so ferries I have used in Louisiana, there are NO signs displayed showing the whining-ness of A/C'd motor vehicles. Heck, I'd never even gotten a honk as I would idle up to the front of the line. I do the same at railroad crossings.
P7080177-1.jpg

P7080180-1.jpg

P7080183-1.jpg

P7080184-1.jpg

Shortly after I got off the ferry... I stopped at the Outrigger Cafe (I think) and had a big ole shrimp stuffed potato. Tater was good but the shrimp were bad....

The sign that sums up my trip.... :trust:
P7080190-1.jpg

Shortly after lunch, I made it to probably the most adventurous part of my trip. Texas Hwy 87. As some of you guys know, the hwy has been closed since 1990 after decades of being repeatedly washed away by the sea. It is now a nice long, empty stretch that particularly challenges the motorcyclists. It is also recomended to not travel the route without 4wd as deep sand, rough areas, and debris can make travel difficult. It is fun none the less. In the 20+ miles of track, I passed only 1 vehicle...

P7080197.jpg

P7080198.jpg

P7080200.jpg

P7080206-1.jpg

P7080208-1.jpg

P7080211-1.jpg

P7080214-1.jpg

I noticed this black area off to me left.... it was a small-ish area, non agricultural, and seemed isolated (no roads) My guess is that it was from a fire started from lightening. It caused a cool lookin desert-ish heat wave. This was mid afternoon in Texas....

The home stretch. It was a nice run heading home.... New-to-me roads. OK, so dang near all of these roads were new to me. I managed to find some twisty roads as I headed north through Texas's piney woods. A welcome relief to the straight roads of southern Texas. Finally gave my sidewalls a work out. Hwy 87 North from Newton to Hemphill is great. Fast easy curves and smooth road.
P7080240-1.jpg

P7080241-1.jpg

I got farther north as my shadow grew longer.
P7080257-1.jpg

Crossing the Toledo Bend reservoir. Finally back up to normal water levels. Looks great. The water was even clear-ish for a change.
P7080245-1.jpg

P7080250.jpg

Welcome home! Wait. I still have an hour! But no more pictures to prove it!

I guess thats all.:rider:

This ride report brings back memories of my first solo ride into Mexico from Texas. I got a little further in my ride but nonetheless there were many surprises along the way and I cut my trip short after I busted my coolant resevoir tank in the Chihuahua desert (115'F) near Matehuala in July.

Recently I remarked to a Mexican moto friend that I thought they (Mexicans) were fearless riders. Afterall, at the time he had just returned from a 12 hour motocross nightride by moonlight from Guadalajara to Tapalpa with about 40 other loco Mexicano motocross riders. His reply was simply: "We're not fearless, we just don't know any better."

In retrospect, I think that reply also applies to my first Mexico journey. I made a lot of planning mistakes so in a way I just did not "know any better" either.

Oftentimes when I relate stories of some of my solo Mexico journeys to Mexican moto riders, they are shocked that I ride solo. In retrospect I now think that they are probably right, I would suggest that you travel with at least one other rider.

Don't give up, it'll be better next time. I don't think I've ever met any moto rider from the states who went back for a second time and regretted it.

Ahhh, Scott. The lessons we must endure. Glad you didn't get stranded in Mexico (heaven forbid) or zapped by the Zetas. And of course ZZ did write that song about La Grange's infamous Chicken Ranch bothrel, which, btw, inspired the musical Best Little Whorehouse in Texas.

Great advice. Annnnnd, you got to see the Bolivar ferry!!!! My gal friend lives down that way and the Bolivar ferry is the object of many curses. Don't know how I would've handled the line up on a motorcycle. Well, I guess I'd have just motored up to the front and asked the guy at the front if I should go back, but, you didn't know and there are all those signs. Interesting question.

Hope to see ya at the MexTrek deal, or somewhere. Later, gator.

Ahhh, Scott. The lessons we must endure. Glad you didn't get stranded in Mexico (heaven forbid) or zapped by the Zetas. And of course ZZ did write that song about La Grange's infamous Chicken Ranch bothrel, which, btw, inspired the musical Best Little Whorehouse in Texas.

Great advice. Annnnnd, you got to see the Bolivar ferry!!!! My gal friend lives down that way and the Bolivar ferry is the object of many curses. Don't know how I would've handled the line up on a motorcycle. Well, I guess I'd have just motored up to the front and asked the guy at the front if I should go back, but, you didn't know and there are all those signs. Interesting question.

Hope to see ya at the MexTrek deal, or somewhere. Later, gator.

Howdy Milton,
Hows the Northwest corner of the country?:mrgreen:

322808829_KSN4D-M.jpg

Horseshoe Bay, north of Vancouver, where the BC ferry comes

322809061_UnAzL-M.jpg

324065028_ucAq4-M.jpg

Gibson's Landing Harbor

Thanks for sharing the pics of the defunked hiway from Port Arthur to High Island. Great road for people whom want to do the road less traveled. First got to do it in '83 I think? Or somewheres in that era. ;-) On my then XV920RH Yamaha. What a great trip. Thanks for the memories.

Back