• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

BMW R1150/1200 GS/A owners, EWS failure?

Reaction score
I've been reading a lot of somewhat disturbing posts on various forums regarding the EWS ring antennae system failling.

Why on EARTH BMW deemed it necessary to put an alarm or anti-theft system on these freakin' bikes fails me. It should be an option at least, not something they just blinding stick on the bike.

Have any of the TWT'rs with this bike had similar or the same failures?

Just wondering. :mrgreen:

Hmmmmm. I guess I'll go first.

What an "EWS ring antennae system" do?

I had one. And a final drive failre and a servo module failure. The hat trick as ir were. I see the FJR has had it's own series of ignition switch failures as well, although it doesn't use EWS.

It reads the chip in the key to insure an authorized key is being used. It could be problematic on say, a trip to Alaska.

Last edited:
Why on EARTH BMW deemed it necessary to put an alarm or anti-theft system on these freakin' bikes fails me. It should be an option at least, not something they just blinding stick on the bike.

Gotta love technology just for the sake of technology. Especially when it is poorly designed technology and causes the bike to leave you stranded somewhere (like Destruction Bay, in far northwest Canada). I know of two BMW riders that were hating life for a few days...

Hmmmmm. I guess I'll go first.

It's basically an unnecessary security system that is not optional, and if it messes up, which apparently it does, it leaves you stranded.

If I could find a way to defeat it entirely and just put a freakin switch I'd be way happier.

:doh:

I figured it was an "early warning system" to tell you when you had bandits on your tail.

That's the first thing I thought of too....

So does my '01 R1150GS have this gizmo? The key looks like a normal key with no chip or anything that can be seen.

Have any of the TWT'rs with this bike had similar or the same failures?

Just wondering. :mrgreen:

I'm sure BMW had good intentions for implementing an anti-theft system on their motorcycles, but there are many items that can be a single point of failure. The real problem is that a manufacturer better get these items right or else the word will get around. Every manufacturer has its ups and downs and BMW airheads are considered some of the most reliable bikes ever made. They were the first to implement ABS so we have to at least give them credit for being a little innovative in the two wheeled department.

How manufacturers handle a problem when there's a trend is absolutely critical to public perception. Honda appears to stake its entire reputation on reliability or at least moreso than others. BMW may not have the same public perception, but I wouldn't call their bikes total junk and I sure hope mine doesn't turn out to be one.

With that said, I have nearly 9000 miles on my 07 GSA in six months and the only problem so far has been a bad battery. I used BMW roadside assistance and had the bike back the same day and all of it was covered under warranty. So far I'm satisfied.

My concern isn't breaking down somewhere that roadside assistance can come and save me, it's quite the opposite really.

I wish there were a way to defeat it entirely, it's utterly unnecessary for me.

My concern isn't breaking down somewhere that roadside assistance can come and save me, it's quite the opposite really.

I wish there were a way to defeat it entirely, it's utterly unnecessary for me.

That wasn't my point. My point is there is no perfect motorcycle. It's just a matter of time before that one little thing will leave you stranded and stranded is stranded regardless of simplicity, complexity or just a flat tire. Defeating anti-theft devices is somewhat defeating its reason for existence so I'll agree that optional would be nice for those who see no need for it.

Forgot to add http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37613

Trust me, in 21 years of mostly used bikes, I understand that bikes break down.

However, most breakdowns I can predict, there are tell-tale signs of many types of failures.

Having it just *not* start after stopping for gas or a bathroom break, etc. would just be so amazingly frustrating. :|

Almost 17K trouble free miles on my 05 1200GS. Didn't even know what an EWS until I read this thread. When I start the bike it says EWS during the startup and then just starts no issue.

I have noticed a higher preponderance of threads on stuff going wrong with bikes (BMW, FJR1200, ST1300, etc..) compared to what is going right. Too busy riding to figure it out, but the reasons out there.:zen:

Noah

Almost 17K trouble free miles on my 05 1200GS. Didn't even know what an EWS until I read this thread. When I start the bike it says EWS during the startup and then just starts no issue.

I have noticed a higher preponderance of threads on stuff going wrong with bikes (BMW, FJR1200, ST1300, etc..) compared to what is going right. Too busy riding to figure it out, but the reasons out there.:zen:

Noah

Noah, check that link posted above, it has the VIN info for bikes that should have their EWS antennae replaced. :)

Noah

No offense, but any (yes ANY) bike that you spend $15-20k should be able to run for at least 50k miles with NOTHING going wrong at all. The fact that a "top of the line" bike can't seem to do that speaks volumes about the quality.

My EWS failed on my '07 RT when I had it. I had to rent a trailer to take it to the dealership to diagnose and fix. It was a **** to say the least.

I have noticed a higher preponderance of threads on stuff going wrong with bikes (BMW, FJR1200, ST1300, etc..) compared to what is going right.

This just in:

My brakes still work, clutch is fine, starts every time, wheels have not fallen off.

Move along... nothing to see here.

This just in:

My brakes still work, clutch is fine, starts every time, wheels have not fallen off.

Move along... nothing to see here.

Darn Japanese bikes... nothing breaks on them and they are 1/3 the cost. Of course they don't come with the Ewan McGregor seal of approval, but I can live without that.:lol2:

Not always.

http://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=26098

50 or more FJR1300 ignition failures noted and counting. No EWS sensor either.

Not mention having to have my defective pistons replaced on my Suzuki Bandit.

I agree, nothing is perfect. Heck, ed29, who lives right down the street from me was one of the ignition failures on his FJR. But the vast VAST majority of Japanese bikes don't seem to have any issues. Not to mention that any one of the major Japanese companies puts out 10 times the product of BMW. If Honda, Suzuki, or Kawi had the % of failures that BMW has, they would be out of business. Kind of like if Toyota had the % of failures as Ferrari they would be gone tomorrow.

I just figured Noah would appreciate a reference to things that were going right.

Anyone with a Euro-bike or American bike feel free to chime in with the things that ain't broke.

I just figured Noah would appreciate a reference to things that were going right.

Anyone with a Euro-bike or American bike feel free to chime in with the things that ain't broke.

I have an '83 Suzuki 50cc four wheeler that still starts on the first pull, and is also on it's first chain and sprockets. Oh wait, Japanese again.... sorry....:lol2:

I do appreciate your help.

My point while obscure was sarcastically different. I would bet if everyone stopped complaining, most motorcycle boards would be shells of their current existence. People complain because other people read their complaining, get on their bandwagon and further the complaining cause. It's fun and addictive. Yes it's factual about things that went wrong on their bikes, but most times it's not indicative of what will happen on my bike (if it was wouldn't I get a recall). I have checked bolts and straps and brakes based on others bad experiences and just wasted a lot of time I should have been riding.

The fact is that all mechanical stuff wears out and breaks over time and nothing is perfect. This is the same for bikes as it is cars or anything else mechanical and complicated. This is why maintenance schedules and warranties exist. To give consumers piece of mind that when stuff goes wrong the manufacture will step in and rectify the situation provided you followed the maintenance schedule.

I have had many bikes that broke and that didn't. The dealer and warranty coverage always meant the difference between satisfaction and disappointment. I am satisfied with my experiences with Honda and BMW , while not being satisfied with my Harley Davidson experience. I have had break downs on all three and that's where warranties and dealers made the difference.

Doesn't the plastic key keep the EWS from keeping the bike dead on the side of the road? Not that this is a solution, but when I go on long trips, I hide this key on the bike just in case of loosing the key or EWS failure.

And, I have an 07 R1200GS with 23,500 miles on it. I am about to go on a 6500 mile trip and do not think that I am going to have major issues.

But, like every day, life is an adventure, don't find your self at dead -1 day and realize that you spent more time on the couch or computer than enjoying life.

Doesn't the plastic key keep the EWS from keeping the bike dead on the side of the road? Not that this is a solution, but when I go on long trips, I hide this key on the bike just in case of loosing the key or EWS failure.

And, I have an 07 R1200GS with 23,500 miles on it. I am about to go on a 6500 mile trip and do not think that I am going to have major issues.

But, like every day, life is an adventure, don't find your self at dead -1 day and realize that you spent more time on the couch or computer than enjoying life.

Nope, the plastic key didn't help unfortunately.

Back