• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Iron Butt

Ken,

It is only 14 miles of cushion. Leaving toward Union City adds another 6 miles without adding any time but you would then need receipts at the start and again in Union City. The rest of the route looks pretty straightforward.

Good luck and ride safe.

FinalBags--Congrats! I'm thinking about doing the IB in the Spring. Definitely will take your advice on a 1 way thing. Maybe a loop vs backtracking.

How many of you guys put on auxiliary lighting like the IBA site recommends?

I've added a set of PIAA 520???? to my R1150GS simply due to the woefully inadequate stock lights. The difference in riding at night with the PIAA's vs without is literally night and day. I couldn't imagine what it would be like to ride at night without aux lighting, especially for the longer distances. That and trying to minimize the amount of dark on the front and tail ends makes the ride easier.

On the ST I had PIAA 1100x's and EC fork lights. On the Wing, I just replaced the standard bulbs with Silverstar Ultra's and have fog lights. The lights on the Wing are amazing... click "brights" and it's daylight. :sun:

Did you guys do anything for the rear, like the LED license plate holders?

Did you guys do anything for the rear, like the LED license plate holders?

I've got the Brake! LED that really lights the plate up. But honestly, I don't look backwards much while riding. :trust: It DOES however help the guys behind me when I hit the brakes for whatever reason.

FinalBags--Congrats! I'm thinking about doing the IB in the Spring. Definitely will take your advice on a 1 way thing. Maybe a loop vs backtracking.
I'm thinking Houston, NOLA, Dallas, Houston.
I think that is around a 1000 miles.
I may have it wrong.

I'm thinking Houston, NOLA, Dallas, Houston.
I think that is around a 1000 miles.
I may have it wrong.

I would pick a trip out west instead if it were my first.
Past weekend I rode I-10 to I-12 to I-55 to McComb Miss on the KTM and be warned there is a lot of road construction. On the way to McComb Baton Rouge rush hour traffic slowed my overall average to 59 mph. Took a slightly different route home, stopping in Orange and Beaumont for courthouse photos slowed my overall average to 56 mph.

Look at Hyper-Lites for rear brake lighting.

A loop is a bad idea... you have to stop a each turn for a receipt :doh: Straight out and back would be the best. And as Dave said, after all the Hurricane Ike stuff, and previous hurricane damages... head west (plus the 75mph limit in your favor) :trust:

Out and back sucked for me.
The perfect deal would be a straight shot toward California. Ride till you get the 1000 miles then take 2 days to come home. Might even be able to get a Bun-Burner in there.Having done the out & back deal, I would recommend a 3 day trip to get it done.
That is the opinion of this old man.

Out and back sucked for me.
The perfect deal would be a straight shot toward California. Ride till you get the 1000 miles then take 2 days to come home. Might even be able to get a Bun-Burner in there.Having done the out & back deal, I would recommend a 3 day trip to get it done.
That is the opinion of this old man.

Houston to Cocoa Beach, FL is almost exactly 1,000 miles (with a small overage buffer).

First congratulations on the successful SS1000 guys. I did my first Saddlesore on secondary highways from the panhandle to Fredricksburg on a loop route. It was very scenic and actually fun. How about looking at this route for your next SS 1000 ride:
SS10004finalbags.jpg

Yes sir, thanks.
I left Justin at 2:30 A.M.
Arrived in Van Horn at 11: A.M.
Fought a 35 MPH crosswind all the way home.
Got back to Justin at 8:30 P.M. 1027 miles/18 Hrs.
It was not fun. I would suggest anyone thinking about an Iron Butt to do point A to point B. That round trip stuff is a little tiresome and boring.
I am wore out.
I surrender.
Calf-rope.
Uncle.

It will take the startch out of ya :giveup: Congrats..... now you get to wait forever to get your cert.

Yes sir, thanks.
I left Justin at 2:30 A.M.
Arrived in Van Horn at 11: A.M.
Fought a 35 MPH crosswind all the way home.
Got back to Justin at 8:30 P.M. 1027 miles/18 Hrs.
It was not fun. I would suggest anyone thinking about an Iron Butt to do point A to point B. That round trip stuff is a little tiresome and boring.
I am wore out.
I surrender.
Calf-rope.
Uncle.

Congrats on your finish! Kathy and I did ours last year. We did 1123 miles in 22 hours before stopping for about 3.5 hours then back on the bikes again. We rode all the way to El Paso before turning around then we stopped in Sonora. The reason it took us so long for that distance was we were doing another ride for TMRA and had to get a checkpoint at Gualupe Peak & the Aerial Tramway in El Paso. We were trying for a BB1500, but made a bad route choice coming out of San Antonio on US281. Nice ride, but going through all of small towns slows you down. Then we hit bad thunderstrom which stopped us for about 1 and half hours. We missed the 1500 by about 1 hour.
We will try again soon, I have been talking to her about doing a RAT(Ride Around Texas). I think she may be more interested in doing that then a BB1500 Gold. Although she thinks it kind of neat when people ask her about the Iron Butt license plate frame on her 1100 VStar. Not bad for a little Grandmother & Great-grandmother.
Marty

Back