• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

MexTrek, Oct 22-25, 2008

Bob,

Wow! Thank God you are okay. So glad you are okay. Sorry about the bike and how this throws a cog into your trip. I have been tracking your SPOT as well, and was wondering why you stopped. Glad to hear you have a rider with you.

Mike

Hey Bob,
Glad to read you are OK and was waiting for the pain meds. I guess you are talking about the all purpose, all types of pain killer in Mexico- Tequila!
Thank you for your comments about the right gear. I have had to recover from a few very minor dirt spills that caused great pain and 2-3 weeks of healing because of wrong gear. My only missing item now is riding pants. I have not found suitable armor at any of the shops yet for the lower body.
I have got Joe Rocket armor and combo kidney belt that I wear under a Mexican cotton/wool pullover. A new full face helmet to avoid those mouth injuries. What is the word on "good boots"?
Pink

Meds ok in Mexico - Bob or anyone respond please .

Hey Bob ,
We are keeping an eye on you ,hope you are doing ok . You mentioned meds and it made me think about prescription meds . I usually carry them in one of those Mon through Sun plastic containers . Do all prescriptions have to be in the original bottle and what about stuff like aleve-motrin or aspirin ?
Thanks Rick M

Here's the extended forecast for Galeana as of today:

Monday - clear, 82 high, 62 low
Tue - scattered clouds, 82/66
Wed - scattered clouds, 86/66
Thu - scattered clouds, 78/59
Fri - scattered clouds, 82/62
Sat - scattered clouds, 87/68

Sounds good to me.

Does anybody know if when loading up the GPS routes, is it better to open them up in Mapsource, recalculate the route and then load it on the GPS or just load it up without recalculation?

I noticed a few of them change slightly when recalculating but I'm not sure if that's just because the map-set is different. I'm using the Bicimaps on a Garmin 60CSx.

Thanks!

It calculates based on the active mapset for that region. If you don't have Bicimaps active when you calculate in Mapsource, the when you load them on the GPS it will calc with the active set.

Also, if your route preferences are different in Mapsource and the GPS unit, then the recalc might generate a slightly different route. In fact, that is one of my frustrations with Mapsource and the GPS units. They have different parameters/names between the two and you can't really make them the same on most units.

Anyway, the way I would do it is to have the Bicimaps active on in Mapsource, verify the routes are what you want, then transfer them to the GPS. Any recalc at that point won't really change the route.

Got it Rusty, but one other related question. Once on the GPS, when I call up a route and select "navigate" will it perform a recalculate at that time or just call up the data as it was last saved?

Generally, as last saved. I don't remember whether the 60 series has an option to control recalc or not. You probably want Auto Recalc off or at least in a Prompt setting. That way it won't try and recalc when you pull off the road for gas or food.

Anyone else tried to start one of the MexTrek routes on their GPS? I've got them all loaded up (and the Bici Maps as well) but when I try to start one, using the navigate option, the GPS comes up with a routing error. I can get it to show on the map but not navigate.

I'm thinking it's because the GPS is currenlty outside of the Bici map area. I can call up routes within the US just fine but once selecting one in Mexico I get the error. I'm guessing because there are two seperate map sets involved. Sound correct?

If I knew what to tell you I would - Rusty and Richard are the two best on these things -good luck and see ya in Mexico . Are you going to McAllen tomorrow ?
Rick M

I'd have to touch it at this point. Hopefully Richard_ can help.

Scott,

Sorry, I don't know why it's doing that. If Rusty doesn't know the answer, all hope is pretty much lost.

Anyone else tried to start one of the MexTrek routes on their GPS? I've got them all loaded up (and the Bici Maps as well) but when I try to start one, using the navigate option, the GPS comes up with a routing error. I can get it to show on the map but not navigate.

I'm thinking it's because the GPS is currenlty outside of the Bici map area. I can call up routes within the US just fine but once selecting one in Mexico I get the error. I'm guessing because there are two seperate map sets involved. Sound correct?

I have had a similar problem when downloading .gpx maps to use on my 2610. They display just fine in Mapsource - but then fail to route properly on the unit. I believe the older units do not like .gpx maps.

I simply opened the .gpx file in Mapsource, created a new route by retracing it, and saved it as a Garmin Database file. Everything works perfectly then.

See ya'll in Galeana! :rider:

Re: Tricepilot Crashes!!

I low sided in the mountains between Guadalajara and Puerto Vallarta.

Tengo dolor en mi tobillo, rodilla, y muneca izquierda

Bob

Anybody heard anything from Bob? Did he get the bike going? Is he feeling up to riding on??

Kenny

I just checked his Spot and he is moving. Looks like he ran down the Pacific coast to Playa Azul and then turned north. Maybe online for Galeana? Looks like we may see Bob there after all.

Kenny

I just checked his Spot and he is moving. Looks like he ran down the Pacific coast to Playa Azul and then turned north. Maybe online for Galeana? Looks like we may see Bob there after all.

Kenny

Yep, Oscar wrote me in the background. Bob is rolling again :thumb:

Cool. I checked his Spot this morning and saw he moved yesterday. Didn't check this afternoon.

Did anybody on Mextrek listed a shared spot page?

Hey Yall.

Made it to Galeana this afternoon and have taken over the town square. :-P There are about 50 of us here, having a great time. The weather is fantastic and the riding is even better than that.

We have had a few bike casualties, but no human casualties that I know of.

Later...

Give Bob a big Squeaky hug and the rest of you play it safe! :sun:

Ride safe, take lots of pics, and have a great time. I can't wait for all the reports. I sure wish I could have made it. One of these years...

Back