• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

MexTrek 2008 - the good, the bad, & the ugly

I am having a little truble loading pics. :giveup:

Attachments

• DSC00529.JPG
    DSC00529.JPG
    166.6 KB · Views: 224
  • DSC00555.JPG
    DSC00555.JPG
    147.4 KB · Views: 233
This one was my favorite.

Attachments

• DSC00528.JPG
    DSC00528.JPG
    170.8 KB · Views: 259
This old guy was born on this spot and lived here for 70yrs. As soon as we stopped he came over and gave us permission to pee off his mountain. His name was Elio. A good man.

Attachments

• DSC00607.JPG
    DSC00607.JPG
    180.5 KB · Views: 248
A very good man to ride behind in the mountains of Mexico. Pancho (Frank Cummings). He knows the road, the language and the history of Mexico. Also he is a MotoDiscovery tour guide. My friend Pancho.

Attachments

• DSC00512.JPG
    DSC00512.JPG
    156.6 KB · Views: 237
I'll be back!

Attachments

• DSC00559.JPG
    DSC00559.JPG
    152.8 KB · Views: 228
  • DSC00516.JPG
    DSC00516.JPG
    172 KB · Views: 229
A lot of people made this trip possible for me. Just a few, Richard, Milton and of course my friend Pancho. I cannot thank you enough.

Re: A day of exploration

Rich,
Next time go thru La Encontada and Siberia.
PinkLloyd? Where are the pics of La Encontada??

Richard,
I think Meelton is right. That looks like concrete.

Pink:rofl:

Yeah, yeah, I got your concrete right here. :evil:

I'm draggin your sorry butt down that road next year, too. :trust:

Mumble, mumble...

Continuing on...

A short distance after returning to the dry river bed, the road veered right up another canyon. This new canyon also had a river bed the road followed, except in this case the river had water in it.

IMG_0953.jpg

IMG_0955.jpg

Actually, riding in the water was somewhat easier than in the dry areas. For whatever reason, the rocks in the water seemed more compact and stable. Anyway, I led us deeper into the canyon, following the creek the entire way.

IMG_0959.jpg

IMG_0960.jpg

After riding back into the canyon I figured I should call a team meeting so we could discuss the situation we were in. This road was quite a bit tougher than we were expecting, and, frankly, tougher than we were looking to ride that day. Fatigue was increasing quickly from yesterday's route and then the rocks of terror earlier in the day on this route and the time had come - either commit fully to this route or retreat and have a fun, easy day of riding.

The group quickly reached a consensus - let's ride this road another day. So, we made a u-turn and fought our way back out.

Along the way we encountered a couple of guys and 4 donkeys. Not sure where they were going but I got a picture of them anyway.

IMG_0961.jpg

Once we got back to pavement, it was a straightforward but fun ride back to Galeana.

Except I got the 2nd flat of the day before we reached pavement.

No sooner had we exited the river of death than my rear tire went flat again. What the ****? Dave and I checked the tire again and this time I spotted the problem. I had the shank of a small nail embedded in the tire. I could just barely see the end of the shank buried in the tire. A set of needle nose pliers extracted the shank, finally eliminating the source of my 2 flats. I installed a patched tube and off we went. For a little while. Then my tire went flat again. The patch was leaking. I borrowed some slime from Bill, reinflated the tire, and was able to make it all the way back to Galeana without getting a 4th flat. Sweet.

Back at ride HQ, the party was in full swing. Mike wanted a hug from the waitress and she made him wear the party hat before she would give him one.
IMG_0962_edited.jpg

Jerry and Milton were in a deep discussion of DSLRs, f-stops, and aperture priority for night shooting...
IMG_0963_edited.jpg

I managed to get their attention just long enough to get a great little picture with my Canon point and shoot.
IMG_0964.jpg

The shoe shine man came around and for just 10 pesos (about 90 cents) did a fantastic job shining our riding boots.
IMG_0967_edited.jpg

A little while later the owner of the Hotel Magdelana sought me out so we could discuss a little business. He was very pleased to have us in his town and was very eager to have us back next year. In addition to the hotel he also owns a restaurant and he has a banquet room easily large enough to support several hundred people. So, I'm pleased to announce that next year the Hotel Magdelana will be our ride HQ and we will have a catered banquet (with bar) on the final day of next year's rally.

After several hours of visiting, I got one final shot for the night and off to bed I went. Sadly, I'm headed home tomorrow.
IMG_0965.jpg

Rayónes was established as a municipality in 1852 and named after the Rayón brothers who were local heroes during the Mexican revolution. It is home to about 430 people.
404939586_n26W9-L.jpg

The road leading to Rayónes from Montemorelos is spectacular. I spent most of my time concentrating on riding rather than looking. Someday soon I will visit again and focus on the latter.
404824636_NUTeD-L.jpg

404824651_Vq5sd-L.jpg

404824669_B9ZHj-L.jpg

404824723_cqu6W-L.jpg

The town itself is simple and beautiful. Like most all Mexican towns it is built around a central square.
404939647_MrVGB-L.jpg

Three old caballeros pass the afternoon in plaza Benito Juarez
404939662_9MXSf-L.jpg

The streets are paved with stones set in cement. Given the smoothness of the rocks and the grade of the streets, I imagine they would be treacherous on motorcycles when wet.
404939627_kujHh-L.jpg

Police Headquarters
404939641_BVgYG-L.jpg

Municipal Auditorium
404939612_HwXGo-L.jpg

404939681_hQ9vT-L.jpg

Hay nos vemos Rayónes! Hasta Luego.
404824765_H7aFy-L.jpg

Great shots, Jerry. The best treatment I've seen of Rayones.
There are lots of nooks and crannies in Rayones.
Everyone should remember it sits next to a river, and the scene down by the river is very tranquil too.

Adventure riding 101

For Friday, my Day 3 in Mexico, we had more exploration in mind. A bit of unfinished business, if you will. That being to find a way across the mountains from Aramberi to the great Hwy 85 running north and south from Monterrey to Ciudad Victoria (and onto Tampico) on the eastside of the Sierra Madre Orientales. I've always heard conflicting reports about such a passage, mostly that it doesn't exist, but occasionally I'll find a map or something that suggests a way. So, my plan was to go to Aramberi and head east as far as the road went, and just ask the locals there for any information. Two of my riding companions from the day before were game, so we were three. Chuck, Joe and I.

60 miles south of Galeana via Hwy 2 is the paved cutoff to Aramberi.
Another 8 miles, Aramberi itself, where we topped off our gas for the great unknown. It was great having Chuck along as his fuel capacity is 5.5 gallons, making him our de facto "tanker". Good 'ole Chuck.

Topping off in Aramberi. (Chuck insisted he didn't need to top off.)
407094130_6YnNy-L.jpg

Heading east out of Aramberi, some pavement, for a little while
407094273_3aTnc-L.jpg

We asked directions of local truck drivers, with dubious results. One actually didn't know anything about the area! One was making his rounds selling vegetables. The first driver I asked stated there was no outlet. No way thru the mountains. I was ready to accept that. Then we came to a river.
"Well, heck," I said, "let's just go back to Aramberi, I know another route." We stopped there long enough to shed our cold weather gear, and here come two Mexican motorcyclists flying down the road from the mountains we faced, crossing the river without missing a beat, making us feel silly for hesitating. I flagged one down.
"Yes, there is a way, you come out in Mainero".
I had no idea where Mainero was but was assured it was in the state of Tamalipas and it connected to 85. Another driver, another answer: yes. Now we had 2 yes's to one "no". Simple decision: proceed with original plan.

Crossing the Milpillas River at Lampacitos
407094349_JLhQw-L.jpg

A few miles past Lampasitos, looking towards Rodeo (?)
407094463_F7ztt-L.jpg

The community of Rodeo (pronounced like the Rodeo Drive in L.A.)
407094695_jbadc-L.jpg

Shortly the road deteriorated to a two track across cow pastures.
Then single track across pastures.
Then cow trails.

There were lots of closed gates
407094801_fatd8-L.jpg

I call this a cow trail
407095026_kGfFZ-L.jpg

Stay tuned. More to come.

Continuing on...

A short distance after returning to the dry river bed, the road veered right up another canyon. This new canyon also had a river bed the road followed, except in this case the river had water in it.

IMG_0953.jpg

IMG_0955.jpg

Actually, riding in the water was somewhat easier than in the dry areas. For whatever reason, the rocks in the water seemed more compact and stable. Anyway, I led us deeper into the canyon, following the creek the entire way.

IMG_0959.jpg

IMG_0960.jpg

After riding back into the canyon I figured I should call a team meeting so we could discuss the situation we were in. This road was quite a bit tougher than we were expecting, and, frankly, tougher than we were looking to ride that day. Fatigue was increasing quickly from yesterday's route and then the rocks of terror earlier in the day on this route and the time had come - either commit fully to this route or retreat and have a fun, easy day of riding.

The group quickly reached a consensus - let's ride this road another day. So, we made a u-turn and fought our way back out.

Along the way we encountered a couple of guys and 4 donkeys. Not sure where they were going but I got a picture of them anyway.

IMG_0961.jpg

Once we got back to pavement, it was a straightforward but fun ride back to Galeana.

Except I got the 2nd flat of the day before we reached pavement.

No sooner had we exited the river of death than my rear tire went flat again. What the ****? Dave and I checked the tire again and this time I spotted the problem. I had the shank of a small nail embedded in the tire. I could just barely see the end of the shank buried in the tire. A set of needle nose pliers extracted the shank, finally eliminating the source of my 2 flats. I installed a patched tube and off we went. For a little while. Then my tire went flat again. The patch was leaking. I borrowed some slime from Bill, reinflated the tire, and was able to make it all the way back to Galeana without getting a 4th flat. Sweet.

Back at ride HQ, the party was in full swing. Mike wanted a hug from the waitress and she made him wear the party hat before she would give him one.
IMG_0962_edited.jpg

Jerry and Milton were in a deep discussion of DSLRs, f-stops, and aperture priority for night shooting...
IMG_0963_edited.jpg

I managed to get their attention just long enough to get a great little picture with my Canon point and shoot.
IMG_0964.jpg

The shoe shine man came around and for just 10 pesos (about 90 cents) did a fantastic job shining our riding boots.
IMG_0967_edited.jpg

A little while later the owner of the Hotel Magdelana sought me out so we could discuss a little business. He was very pleased to have us in his town and was very eager to have us back next year. In addition to the hotel he also owns a restaurant and he has a banquet room easily large enough to support several hundred people. So, I'm pleased to announce that next year the Hotel Magdelana will be our ride HQ and we will have a catered banquet (with bar) on the final day of next year's rally.

After several hours of visiting, I got one final shot for the night and off to bed I went. Sadly, I'm headed home tomorrow.
IMG_0965.jpg

Oh no, that wasn't the final shot of the night. Where's the one with Ben, Brad, Pancho and me? I thought that was good.

I need to contact Ronnie the HP2 rider. What does he go by on this site? I forgot to ask him about the Valve cover/injector covers protectors he had on the HP2. I need a set. BAD.

Hey Jerry,

Deetto what Meelton said. Great pics and justice to so ofter overlooked Rayones, and I suspect that Meelton knows alot about those "nooks and crannies in Rayones". What say you "Papasito".

Honestly, you guys, I am not wasting my time and carrying capacity with a camera in future. Your pics are just awesome. I have already told everybody they are my pictures. I don't say that I took them, just that they are mine. Besides I notice Meeton that you place a little copyright doohickey on yours. Being just a dumb immigrant I don't want any legal problems.

Pink:giveup:

Adventure Riding 101 (cont.)

Soon, there were no more gates or fences to close, and our cow trail gave way to a gnarly scramble, uphill. Finally we crested a pass of some sort. By this time we realized that if one of our bikes were to break down out here, the only way we were getting it out was in pieces, on horseback.

And now we had the formidable task of descending the other side of the pass on an equally gnarly wash. No one took pictures up there, as far as I know. We were all too busy trying not to worry.
Well, at least we were over the pass, I reasoned. It was all down hill from here........
Right?
Well, nooooot exactly.

More gentle territory, the far side of our little pass
407095111_2Ubg7-L.jpg

All downhill from here
407095202_is3uG-L.jpg

Kool road
407095362_3EqjG-L.jpg

Our first person on the road. Jose Cerda
407095478_6kRZq-L.jpg

A few miles later, the community of Alamos. This is Jose's father. Note the solar panel in the background.
407095528_yHovg-L.jpg

Chuck & Joe in Alamos
407095602_gduTW-L.jpg

Feeling pretty good now. The fields were ablaze with yellow flowers.
We were amongst communities again, even saw a pickup truck.
All good signs.

407095748_Znmg6-L.jpg

So we stopped for lunch
407095860_qpZSW-L.jpg

Gearing up on the bridge after lunch Joe says, "San Antonio River."

His GPS put us on the San Antonio River. Hummmmm. I looked at my map.
Nothing? Nothing.
No wait, San Antonio River, and there's Alamos.
We were no where near where I thought we'd be, exiting the mountains, headed towards Hwy 85 and the long slab back to Galeana.

We were headed north... Not a problem.
407095997_U6qiK-L.jpg

San Manuel. This lady set me straight.
She knew every community and every crossroad and explained it so I could understand.

407096119_44JYB-L.jpg

And he wisely let the woman do all the talking.
407096070_HFRkR-XL.jpg

"Down the road 1.5 miles you come to a "Y". Right leads you to Mainero. Don't go left, that takes you to Camarones."
Camarones? ........

"Chuck, do you think that's the same Camarones we know?"

It was 5:30 and getting late.
Such a decision, one way led to Mainero and slab, accomplishing our goal, but a long way from home. The other more dubious was a "short cut" home but one part of the connection was unknown.
As in, NOMM. Not on my map.

Joe began to squirm, but he was with us.

The lady assured us we would get thru. "No se queda," she repeated. (You won't stay.)

We left our steadily improving road for a tight class III thru the woods and a fold in the hills, then a pass, and finally......

Puerto Camarones
Me: "This is the right road, allright."
Joe: "The right road to where?"

407096194_jg5PF-L.jpg

Headed north towards Cuevas and Inturbide.
407096311_qSKvw-M.jpg

We still had two river crossings at Cuevas, one fairly substantial. We had come a long way from hesitating at that comparitively "little" stream this morning. We made it to asphalt by dark.
Then Galeana.

A perfect day.

But to answer the question, is there a way thru the mountains from Aramberi to Hwy 85?
The answer, I'm afraid, is the same as it was when we started: maybe.

But I have more ideas.

It ain't over.
407096380_jgksr-M.jpg

Besides I notice Meeton that you place a little copyright doohickey on yours.
Pink:giveup:

Lloyd, its a long story but that little doohickey was actually a mistake, and I was too lazy to re-do it. Sorry. Didn't mean to intimidate.

PS. Chuck or Joe. Does anyone have the GPS tracks of our ride??? I can't quite figure out where Rodeo is or how we got to Alamos. I've scoured Google Earth and nothing seems to fit my notes.

Update on Jim:

He is doing ok. I checked in on him every couple of hours last night while I was working. He is having much more pain than he had prior to entering the hospital. The chest tube was placed right in the midst of his broken ribs so there is no comfortable position for him. The good news is he is out of ICU and in a regular room. The bad news is...he is out of ICU and in a regular room so there is no rest for the weary. As you may know, the hospital is no place to get a good nights rest. The nurses wake you up to give you a sleeping pill then 5 minutes later they wake you up to ask if the sleeping pill is working. Hopefully the docs can get around to fixing that collar bone next week.

Delores

Back