• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

MexTrek 2008 - the good, the bad, & the ugly

I would recommend staying away from Imodium and other such meds on trips like this if at all possible. I know it is more than uncomfortable but if the revenge is due to a bacteria, you want to get it out as quickly as possible. One of the reasons the symptom keep returning may be because the Imodium never let the body completely expell the pathogen. Also always remember to complete the recommended dose of any antibiotic. By taking only 1-2 doses, you are allowing the pathogen to become a super-bug and it will be immune to the same antibiotic the next time. Cipro may be the exception. Fortunately for us travelers, the pathogens in these remote locations have not been exposed to antibiotics therefore making them very responsive to 1-2 doses. Unfortunately for those who will remain living in these remote areas....the pathogens we have left behind most likely will not respond to their available antibiotics. It is the whole whiteman vs. the indian thing all over again. But the best defense against any pathogen is good handwashing! Sing the ABC song whild washing your hands so that you know you have done a decent job removing most pathogens. But NO toe tapping at the urinals guys!:lol2:

OK...I will step down from my soapbox now..I agree with the above requests...enough about poo. Post more picks and show me what other great things I missed by taking off in a different direction.

Delores

The possibility of bad poo is all part of the adventure :lol2: :eek2: Since it could easily wipe out a trip... I was just wondering how best to avoid it if possible :wary:

I concur though that there have not been even remotely enough pics in this thread for an adventure of this proportion! :nana:

Also always remember to complete the recommended dose of any antibiotic. By taking only 1-2 doses, you are allowing the pathogen to become a super-bug and it will be immune to the same antibiotic the next time. Cipro may be the exception.

Delores

I went to my Doc here in Austin the next day and he prescribed more Cipro which I did take until it was gone. I did want to ask, why would Cipro be any different? Is it not required to finish out the prescription on it as well or did you mean that 1 -2 doses of Cipro is enough to kill the bug? Just curious.

Thanks

I went to my Doc here in Austin the next day and he prescribed more Cipro which I did take until it was gone. I did want to ask, why would Cipro be any different? Is it not required to finish out the prescription on it as well or did you mean that 1 -2 doses of Cipro is enough to kill the bug? Just curious.

Thanks

One to two doses is capable of killing some/all of the bacteria... but its way better to take the full prescription to make sure. Like Delores said, taking only part of the Rx could make it a super-bug. Not good.

Thanks

In cases of exposure to bacterial meningitis a one time Cipro dose is recommended. Cipro is a good broad spectrum super antibiotic.

I was attacked by Montezuma about 20 minutes after I got home. Very intense. It took until this past weekend to taper off to nothing. I was very careful what I ate and drank but I slipped up on Thursday and drank some coke poured over ice before thinking about it. Of course I can't be sure but that is the most likely cause. I will be more careful in the future. I can't imagine if it had hit during the trip back. The 5 second warning I was getting would not have been enough to even stop the bike.

Time to go home...

All too soon it was time to head back to Austin. Dave and I along with a bunch of other riders grabbed one last breakfast at the Plaza Restaurant.

Omlettes, beans, fruit, juice, etc... an excellent breakfast.
IMG_0970.jpg

All around the plaza riders were packing their bikes.
IMG_0971.jpg

If you recall, Milton had a new-to-him DRZ400. His KLX had given up the ghost, so on Monday he had flown to Dallas, bought the 400, and then rode it back to Austin. I asked him on Tuesday what he thought of the 400. He said he didn't like it on Monday and sort of liked it on Tuesday. After all the great riding he and Chuck and others had been doing for the past few days I think he will likely keep the DRZ. Time will tell.

It was clean when he loaded it in my trailer back on Tuesday. Now it's all dusty with Mexican dirt. As an adaptation to what someone else once wrote - Mexican dirt: fun to ride on and looks good on your bike
IMG_0972.jpg

About 10 a.m. we said our final goodbyes and rode away from Galeana.

Mexico wasn't through with me just yet, though. A few miles down the road, I got flat #4. Yep, yesterday's slimed and patched tube still wasn't fully holding air. I borrowed a tube from John Primo and with a bit of assistance from some other riders, we quickly swapped out the tube. The fourth time was the charm - the tube is still holding today.

Final thoughts

I thought the event went great. The riding was as excellent as I remembered, the weather fully cooperated, and the town of Galeana was very accommodating (and apparently eager for us to return).

Looking for a special adventure? I recommend this area to you. The riding is superb.

Galeana - the new Creel

Thanks for reading. Hope to see you at MexTrek 2009.

Last edited:
Excellent Richard! I hope to join y'all one of these years.

Mike

For Montezuma's Curse try this Rifaximin sold in U.S as Xifaxan.This is an antibiotic.What's notable about it is that,unlike bacteria -fighting drugs such a cipro,which enters the bloodstream and circulates throughout the body ,Xifanxan remains exculusively in the gut.I take a pill each day and watch what I eat and drink and never have a problem.RIFAXIMIN (Xifaxan 200MG)Ben P

For those of you looking for a great time. Galeana is wonderful. And don't forget how close it is to us Texans. Much closer than Colorado, N. California, and even Tennesee! And it is just as beautiful! AND...very quiet and peaceful if you are like me and can't communicate in Spanish :)

Delores

Thursday over breakfast, PharrSide and I decided to go wandering. I particularly wanted to visit the towns of Aramberri and General Zaragoza. Dale said that sounded good to him... so away we went.

First a stop at the Deposito for Aguas Frescas and Chicharones
404993710_sRTaB-L.jpg

The house next door: Dogs are commonly kept on rooftops in Mexico. This interprising fellow has discovered that he can expand his territory by using the cornice that encircles the building.
404824784_WuAf8-L.jpg

Patos
404824815_2bHW4-L.jpg

We pass the baseball field
404993757_Q7W6J-L.jpg

Riding South, the road climbs into the mountains and trees grow more dense. This road seems tailor made for my WeeStrom as it constantly curves back and forth and changes elevation.
405733984_RtpaZ-L.jpg

We pause for a cause between La Escondida and Aramberri
405733998_DsPRp-L.jpg

Big sister Maria steadies Antonio on the moto as Mama watches. Antonio isn't too sure about this strange looking gringo in the funny spaceman suit.
405734021_GeJnF-L.jpg

We've arrived in Zaragosa just as school is letting out. Smiling kiddos and backpacks are everywhere
405734038_K3iV5-L.jpg

409595116_RTsCx-L.jpg

Its lunchtime and we find Mike's group in the Restaurant Lopez: Jeff, Mike, Lloyd, John, Wayland, Don & Cotton
405734107_Jzi2f-L.jpg

Cotton had a small bag of candy, and for awhile was the most popular guy in town.
405734057_ouh4p-L.jpg

Two tacos and soda, 15 pesos = $1.20
406206313_BnzXw-L.jpg

405734098_Q2dDn-L.jpg

409595085_zUN3x-L.jpg

6390034_iPZeS

Leaving town Dale's XR needs a drink.
406206326_gUiAJ-L.jpg

Farmhouse on the return to Galeana
409518006_tqKg9-L.jpg

Roadside Vaca
406206339_MRYku-L.jpg

409517981_iJzBA-L.jpg

Cerro Potosi in the distance from South of Galeana. We'll ride there tomorrow.
406206349_rixrd-L.jpg

Great shots Jerry. You using a flash for any of that? If not, what is the F-stop range on your lens?

Dang it. I really dis-like it when ya'll go on these trips and then post pictures. It always puts me in a place to stop listening to my wife and go out and buy a dual sport. I don't think these pics are good for my marriage. Thats alright. Pay off one bike and buy another, not much longer now. Is three bikes for one person and one garage too many?

Heck no , everyone needs 3 bikes
Touring bike - Goldwing-Harley-Bmw
Semi- sport or sport touring bike -- FJR- ST1300 -- Vee Strom 1000
Dual Sport Bike -- KLR -GS - DR ect .
Tell your wife we all have 3
Dang it. I really dis-like it when ya'll go on these trips and then post pictures. It always puts me in a place to stop listening to my wife and go out and buy a dual sport. I don't think these pics are good for my marriage. Thats alright. Pay off one bike and buy another, not much longer now. Is three bikes for one person and one garage too many?

Hey Rick, what's up?

How are things with Mark? Can you forward his last email about the crash and tell me how to track him?

Kenny

I don't think so. I don't have a garage, but I have more than 3 bikes. And the post above is correct, everone needs a bike for touring, sport touring/sport, dual sport, and of course dirt only. :trust: :mrgreen:

Early morning departures from Galeana and those late dark arrivals in fog had my fingers frozen. I will be putting on some heated grips before my next trip south. Anybody have experience with this on their KLR? Which model works best? :rider:

I enjoyed your pictures Vinny, as I did everyone else's too. Y'all did a great job. I sure like that Potrero Chico area too. Can you pass through there on a paved road or is it just one-way getting in and out? Does the town have much to offer?

Hi,
I have been going to Potrero Chico for a few years due to it's rock climbing. It is world renowned, specially for Europeans and Canadians. This time I went w/ the bike and talked to some of the locals. One guy (the American manager at the place I stayed) has a 400cc bike. He wished he had the capital to start a motorcycle business. Lots of roads to explore. He recommended a GPS since there is so much of it :rider: .
Its also a great area for mountain biking, hiking, camping. The locals like tourist and are very nice.
To get there by pavement you just go on 1 or 85 south until you hit 53 and go NW. Its in the town of Hidalgo (there is a couple of those in Mexico)
If you look up "Potrero Chico" on the web you can get exact directions.
Hope that helps. Its a great area to stop halfway to Galeana.

Vinny

Early morning departures from Galeana and those late dark arrivals in fog had my fingers frozen. I will be putting on some heated grips before my next trip south. Anybody have experience with this on their KLR? Which model works best? :rider:

Symtec.
Different L & R elements compensate for throttle tube/handlebar properties. Plus they are relatively inexpensive. Wire them through a switched circuit - otherwise you will return to a "dead" motorcycle. I know this for a fact. :trust:

Great shots Jerry. You using a flash for any of that? If not, what is the F-stop range on your lens?

About half of the shots inside restaurants are with flash. Most of the "dessert" pics and the ones inside the Lopez are with. Most "entree" shots are without. No flash fill on any exterior shots. Nikon D40 with the kit lens - 18-55 f1:3.5

From the "Top of the World" summit of Cerro Potosi:

Cotton
406221445_2TyHo-L.jpg

Don
406221439_YLv8y-L.jpg

Jeff
410236258_EUtCF-L.jpg

Not Jeff
406221451_Y4z2E-L.jpg

Galeana Valley
406361907_xWwvq-L.jpg

Heck no , everyone needs 3 bikes
Touring bike - Goldwing-Harley-Bmw
Semi- sport or sport touring bike -- FJR- ST1300 -- Vee Strom 1000
Dual Sport Bike -- KLR -GS - DR ect .
Tell your wife we all have 3

Tell you wife the girl on the trip has 4 bikes and the guys must try to keep up!

Delores
Touring - BMW K1200GT
Dual Sport - KLR 650
Fancy Girly Bike - V-Star 650 Classic
For Sale Bike - Harley 883R

Back