• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

In search for an International Boundary Marker...IN the US!

Reaction score
First Name
Robby
Last Name
Robertson
This is my first ever ride report, and I must admit, I had no idea how time consuming it is! It’s easier to plan and take a trip than post a RR! Oh well, here goes. :zen:

I was told about the only known International Boundary Marker within the Continental United States by a poster on another site (I know…I was shocked there were other sites, too! :eek2: ), and it so happens it is less than an hour from my casa. What a great excuse (not that I need one) to take a road trip! :rider: The wife has other plans (I SO love that woman...not because she wasn't going...just because!! :kiss: ), so its solo for the Grasshopper.

First things first…gotta feed the machine. So I head off to Louisiana to the nearest “cheap” gas, which is at a Loves Truck Stop in Greenwood, LA.

8cb96491.jpg

Can’t remember the last time I had a vehicle that I could fill up when bone dry at under $10.00!

94dc0b2e.jpg

Ok…tank’s full so off I go…back to the safe confines of Texas at 1:27 in the afternoon. :clap:

271a3a3f.jpg

Obviously I want to take the back roads as much as possible…

6cb1bcb7.jpg

Good thing, because the super slab was all backed up due to some idiot not playing nicey with others. :shame: If you look real close, you can just make out the end of the back up at the far end of the Interstate. If you look really, Really, REALLY close, you can't see a dang thing 'cause you're too dang close to the screen!!!:rolleyes:

7d48dd60.jpg

So, more back roads, heading back to Texas…

075e0a1a.jpg

I realize they aren’t Colorado or Wyoming roads, but they are really nice to ride.

87645d58.jpg

As you cross into Texas, you never really know what you’ll find in someone’s yard…:confused:

b7bc2945.jpg

The gratuitous (and mandatory) “man in the mirror” shot…

f88c45bd.jpg

And of course, the gratuitous (and also mandatory) “take a shot of yourself, without making it look like you are aware you are taking a shot of yourself” shot…me thinks I was peeking...8-)

6e331c70.jpg

The old haunted shack of Elysian Fields, TX…my understanding the owner was the Blair Witch, but she was evicted due to the mortgage crisis…

32073993.jpg

And now, the lovely town of Elysian Fields, TX…

Here we have the Bank…

da0d7645.jpg

Here is the lovely Post Office…

c97878e3.jpg

And, of course, the Car Wash…

348d16c4.jpg

Thirsty? Plenty of cool, clear drinking water is always available from the Elysian Fields Water Storage and Rust Experimentation Center…

56060d6a.jpg

Thank you for touring Elysian Fields, TX. Please return to your assigned seating as our trip will soon be continuing…Snacks are available in your nearest refrigerator :eat3: and please don’t forget to tip your bartenders and waitresses…

Last edited:
Re: In search for an International Boundary Marker...IN the US! Part 2

Just to the south of me is DeBerry, TX. All this time I thought it was named after some wild fruit that grew there…silly me… :doh:

fa256651.jpg

Ok..enough DeBerry history…back on the roads where I belong…

4d2fdca8.jpg

I just realized that most of my photos of roads are of straight roads. Trust me, there are plenty of curves in these roads…apparently I was too chicken ca-ca to take pics while at a 45 degree angle. :rofl:

f023a3ed.jpg

Finally, my destination approaches, right on the border of Louisiana and Texas…

29635afe.jpg

Mandatory signage shot coming up…

c2a88177.jpg

Here ‘tis. The only known International Boundary Marker within the Continental United States…Smelling salts will be available for those in need…:shock:

29dfa844.jpg

For those of you into reading markers…

beaa857c.jpg

Yet another marker…

2afc9920.jpg

Kinda made me wonder just how many of these might be around covered up with leaves and other deposits of time…

d74d4ba9.jpg

How remiss would I be if I didn’t get a shot of “The White Horse”…

ddb47d9c.jpg

Even more frightening…the old guy next to the old marker…(truth be told, it took me several shots to get the self-timer, angle, position, etc. somewhat right. If anyone was there, they had a right ole time laughing at my dumb self, running back and forth from the bike to the marker…esp. the time I ran over & stood there for over a minutes, posing, waiting for the dang camera to take the dang shot! Yeah I tell off on myself…I can laugh at myself…primarily because you aren’t here to laugh at instead!) :rofl:

56aeed84.jpg

That’s the end of the second period, with your score, TWT 7,359 and Grasshopper 3. The third period will begin momentarily, but you still have time to visit our concession stand, located just beyond your monitor, featuring nachos, hot dogs, cheese sticks, BBQ sammiches, :eat: and your favorite tasty beverage. :chug: dang…now I’m hungry…

Last edited:
Re: In search for an International Boundary Marker...IN the US! Part 3...the Finale'!

Ok…back on the road leaving history (and several strange looks from passer-bys) behind.

850d6a9a.jpg

Heading back home, it is now 3:02 in the afternoon.

22034fec.jpg

I have no idea why the urge to take these gratuitous shots is so strong!

76a7ce0a.jpg

The typical wildlife in East Texas…running into a deer is a bad thing…running into one of these things will really mess up your day, week, month, year…the owner of the cow can sue you for killing his heifer…not to mention his cow! ;-)

eb435587.jpg

Not sure if this was an old school house or community center or what. Next time I’m this way, I’ll take the time to explore closer.

a0365440.jpg

These fire lookout towers are scattered all over east Texas. If it hadn’t been locked down tighter than Ft. Knox, I’d have gotten some great shots of the lay of the land. Freakin’ insurance companies take the fun outta everything!

20c05edb.jpg

Another of the fire tower…

78954ebd.jpg

Only one more…I promise…

3b833523.jpg

Pine tree scat…these are everywhere…pine trees have no couth! They are almost as bad as Sweet Gum trees!

fdceb4c4.jpg

Typical East Texas scenery…

331b2dc3.jpg

Hmmm…I have an idea…nothing coming down the road…

60c23be8.jpg

This ingenious move was a tribute to another biker out in California...Thanks Peach!

558cae8b.jpg

More East Texas roads…They are beautiful anytime of the year…

f0d65093.jpg

Gawd I love Texas!

13c0eeff.jpg

I passed this old gas station…would love to see what vehicles used it in its prime…

ec8d7e42.jpg

My attempt at artsy-fartsy…

92359fea.jpg

Only in Texas…

5e2d0213.jpg

Almost home…

95e23d24.jpg

The Elysian Fields…home again…safely…Thank the Good Lord…never take a safe trip for granted! :clap:

8487a9d2.jpg

Until the next adventure…

c4ae5949.jpg

That was fun, Grasshopper. Thanks.
Is the marker on the road between Deadwood and Logansport? If that's it, you're right: It is a good road. So good I sailed right past the marker.

I've heard there's another marker further south. East of San Augustine, maybe?

You may ride a white horse but it ain't that white horse! I gather, however, that you'll be riding with Him.

Great report and most excellent pix! Thanks for posting.

You may ride a white horse but it ain't that white horse! I gather, however, that you'll be riding with Him.

Great report and most excellent pix! Thanks for posting.

Absolutely in no way am I insinuating I am on THAT white horse! I am on one of those other white horses that follow THE white horse...

"Then I saw Heaven opened, and there was a White Horse! Its rider is called Faithful and True...And the armies of Heaven, wearing fine linen, white and pure, were following Him on white horses!"

Thanks for the nice words! I really enjoyed that little day trip. See you here, there, or in the air! Shalom!

That was fun, Grasshopper. Thanks.
Is the marker on the road between Deadwood and Logansport? If that's it, you're right: It is a good road. So good I sailed right past the marker.

I've heard there's another marker further south. East of San Augustine, maybe?

That is exactly where that marker is. I don't know of another one, but then I didn't know of this one until someone told me about it...lol

San Augustine, huh....hmmmm...maybe another day trip is in order! :rider:

Re: In search for an International Boundary Marker...IN the US! Part 2

That’s the end of the second period, with your score, TWT 7,359 and Grasshopper 3. The third period will begin momentarily, but you still have time to visit our concession stand, located just beyond your monitor, featuring nachos, hot dogs, cheese sticks, BBQ sammiches, :eat: and your favorite tasty beverage. :chug:

Hey, mine's broken! All I have is a lukewarm half-drunk bottle of diet coke. :argh:

Cute story. It can be a chore to write up the report, but they're such a pleasure to have and read back over a few months (or more) from now to bring back the memories. ;-)

Thanks TXGrasshopper for sacrificing your time to do the ride report and showing your pics. That was enjoyable to see. Your report may not get as many views as the Darth Peach on Advrider but it's good for us who want to ride East Texas!
Neal

Thanks TXGrasshopper for sacrificing your time to do the ride report and showing your pics. That was enjoyable to see. Your report may not get as many views as the Darth Peach on Advrider but it's good for us who want to ride East Texas!
Neal

Thanks Neal! Glad you and everyone else that made the sacrifice to read it enjoyed it. :coffee:

I know it will never reach the heights that the Peach's report has...I'm not the creative photographer she is, :sun: nor am I the literary poet she is, :deal: nor am I nearly as nice to look at as she is! :thumb: But hey...we all have our crosses to bear...lol :zen: :lol2:

What?!?! No one's complaining about the size of the pictures being too large?

*sigh* I'm disappointed.:lol2:

Great RR. When I saw the first pic of the dash on the bike, I thought you were taking a trip in a car. I don't get to look over the dash of a 'Wing very often. :trust:

Thanks for the ride report and great photos. I am not too familiar with east Texas, but those look out towers make me start looking for a long weekend for a long ride.

Thanks for the ride report and great photos. I am not too familiar with east Texas, but those look out towers make me start looking for a long weekend for a long ride.

Glad you liked it.

Every time I see one of those fire towers I want to go up top, but either they are locked up tight, or they look so ratty I'm afraid my wife will collect on my life insurance and spend it without me...the audacity of her! :brainsnap There use to be one about 4-5 miles north of me here in Elysian Fields, on FM31, but someone bought the property and dismantled it before I got the chance to scale it. :miffed: There is another one on Hwy. 79, outside of Greenwood, LA, going west towards Bethany, LA, which is on the LA/TX border. I haven't researched it yet, but there may be a web site that attempts to list them, kind of like the hysterical markers, survey posts, etc. Me thinks I'll go & look for that site now...:ponder:

Glad you liked it.

Every time I see one of those fire towers I want to go up top, but either they are locked up tight, or they look so ratty I'm afraid my wife will collect on my life insurance and spend it without me...the audacity of her! :brainsnap There use to be one about 4-5 miles north of me here in Elysian Fields, on FM31, but someone bought the property and dismantled it before I got the chance to scale it. :miffed: There is another one on Hwy. 79, outside of Greenwood, LA, going west towards Bethany, LA, which is on the LA/TX border. I haven't researched it yet, but there may be a web site that attempts to list them, kind of like the hysterical markers, survey posts, etc. Me thinks I'll go & look for that site now...:ponder:

Nice report, I grew up in Kilgore, about 2 miles from my house was a fire tower ( in Rolling Meadows) that we used to climb all the time(very scary for a kid afraid of hights). The last time I was out there to climb it,it too had been incarcerated in a concentration camp,complete with electic fence,razor wire,guard dogs,mine field,and Insurrance lawyers with MP-40 laptop civilian assault devices!,:giveup: good luck finding one still axessable.

I just did a quick research on Fire Towers and found a national association for the cause, but nothing on a more local basis covering Texas.
Hmmmm....wondering if this might not be a good project for the masses in TWT...an unofficial pictorial log of all the fire look-out towers in the State that we can find, along with locations. Any ideas?

Back