• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Uncle's Around the Bend 2009 attendance list

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. 100 miles on a tank will get you back to a gas station with out too much problems. In addition the gas station in the center of the park is at most 40 miles from the farthest locations in the park.

Got a tire question! what type of off road riding will I be able to do with the stock metzler tourance tire that comes on the 2009 R1200GSA. or should I go ahead and get a more agressive dirt tire now instead of waiting till I wear them out.

Got a tire question! what type of off road riding will I be able to do with the stock metzler tourance tire that comes on the 2009 R1200GSA. or should I go ahead and get a more agressive dirt tire now instead of waiting till I wear them out.

If it's dry the Tourance will be okay on 90% of the dirt roads. The 10% or so of sand and/or pea gravel will be a handful, but it would be a handful on the big GS anyway.

If you want to make change prior to heading out, certainly a more agressive tire will improve things when you are on the dirt. It's not necessary, but can be a good thing.

I like to run a knobby front tire and a ds rear tire on my Strom. I've got a TKC80 on the front and a Tourance on the back and find it to be a very good combination. The knobby front provides additional traction in the dirt but performs fine for me on pavement.

Richard, I'll see about changing out the front tire to start with.This weekend I was up at Cycleland ,Nacogdoches (deep sand) and the front end was a plow!! Thanks for the help Lary

I have stayed at the R.V. park in Study Butte several times. I think its called the Big Bend RV park or Study Butte RV park, it is on the internet. I agree with Skup a 100 mile tank will do you just fine. I went ahead and purchased a 1 gallon can and bunjied it to my wrack on top of my duffle bag which ended making a good back rest. I will have it again, more than likey, just in case but doubt I will need it.

Oh by the way Richard just my brother the other Richard is in too. So we will be arrivng two deep.

Hey did someone say something abut a bar-b-q 1 night?

I have stayed at the R.V. park in Study Butte several times. I think its called the Big Bend RV park or Study Butte RV park, it is on the internet. I agree with Skup a 100 mile tank will do you just fine. I went ahead and purchased a 1 gallon can and bunjied it to my wrack on top of my duffle bag which ended making a good back rest. I will have it again, more than likey, just in case but doubt I will need it.

Oh by the way Richard just my brother the other Richard is in too. So we will be arrivng two deep.

Hey did someone say something abut a bar-b-q 1 night?

BBQ? I had the most amazing BBQ at the Kiva bar in Terligua. Interesting place since it is mostly underground.

Attachments

• Cave bar entrance.JPG
    Cave bar entrance.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 202
I had the quail sasuage one night and the chicken the other at th KIVA. It was open mic night and a group from Memphis were on vacation and they could all play and sing. Got to listen to some Eagles and Dwight Yokum music. Had a great time. If if new how to dump a pic I could share some but dont know how...? I say we all have meet up there one night too, They have that great patio out back that ought to work, I think. I dont know about the service for dinner. We might be to big of a group...? Is there a Fiesta planned anywhere?

This will be my first trip to big bend. My dad's flying in from VA to join us for the ride and we'll be on an xr400 and a green KLR. Looking forward to following some of you around Big Bend.

Any route maps? or suggested rides? or should I just look for somebody to join up with at Kathy's Kosmic Kowgirl Kafe. I think we're going to arrive Wed evening and staying in Terlingua.

Any route maps? or suggested rides? or should I just look for somebody to join up with at Kathy's Kosmic Kowgirl Kafe. I think we're going to arrive Wed evening and staying in Terlingua.

I'll try to put some routes together and post them up so folks can download them before leaving for Big Bend.

I'll try to put some routes together and post them up so folks can download them before leaving for Big Bend.

Richard, Will you be including some easy route (like moon valley and hen egg) for the newer riders and some harder routes (like river road and ????) for those with more skills?

Richard, Will you be including some easy route (like moon valley and hen egg) for the newer riders and some harder routes (like river road and ????) for those with more skills?

Yes. I'll rate the routes so riders have an idea of the level of difficulty of each route.

Yes. I'll rate the routes so riders have an idea of the level of difficulty of each route.

Any routes available for people with one good foot? My new seat should be here Friday and it is killing me keeping my foot elevated and crutching around the house.

I did start my 690 yesterday, just to make sure it still started.
I guess I should hook them up to a battery tender.

Check out the National Geographic map page. I picked up this map in Big Bend but you can get it off their page. It shows the off road routes and clasifies them by dificulty (paved road, improved road, high clearance road, and four wheel drive road). It is also GPS compatible.

http://www.natgeomaps.com/ti_225

Hi all! Jim Green, Klaus, Jim Knight and I are coming! Are there any motels we can stay at?

Thanks

Are there any motels we can stay at?

Try:

- The El Dorado in Terlingua
- Chisos Mining Company/ Easter Egg Valley in Study Butte
- Big Bend Motor Lodge in Study Butte
- Longhorn Motel on Hwy 118 north of Study Butte

John,

I will be going as well--are there maps for this? Were you able to get rooms?
I will try to call you tomorrow

rgds,

Charlie

There is also the Strawbale Guest House in the Ghostown. Call Nick at 432-371-2896. Also there is a room available to rent in the Perry Mansion at the Ghostown. I'll post the contact info. later.

Put me down for a maybe...plus a few non-riders that just want to play at Big Bend...

Any idea how many street riders are going? I don't think the Sporty would do the dirt very well...

McLoud

I've heard of a couple that are going. Plenty of good paved roads in the area too.

Put me down for a maybe...plus a few non-riders that just want to play at Big Bend...

Any idea how many street riders are going? I don't think the Sporty would do the dirt very well...

McLoud

I've added you to the list.

I don't really have any clue as to how many street riders will be attending. There will be some, but since we aren't tracking attendees by bikes I don't know how many.

McLoud

At least one street rider from Austin. :rider:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back