• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bikes you've sold and HAVE NOT regretted...

84 goldwing SE.. one of the fuel injected models.The brain box would work sometimes other times just flash its little codes.

How 'bout a '80 Yamaha Exciter (Exploder) 250. Had a valve knock so loud you could hear it a 1/2mile away. Complete pile of %#*$!!:rofl: Couldn't afford to fix it and nobody in their right mind would buy it. When it was on it's last leg we'd get it going as fast as it would go and nail the back brake and see who could leave the longest skid mark.:haha: Finally blew the engine and sold it to Union Cycle Salvage for $25 bucks.

Re: 07 Tiger.

Towards the end of the year long painful relationship I fantasized about posting signs around the neighborhood "For sale, beautiful Triumph Tiger, [address]. Forgetful owner often leaves garage door open and keys in bike"

It got so bad that friends and family were sending me daily spam of other bikes I might be interested in. They started answering my phone calls with "what's wrong with it now". A recent text from a coworker asked a business question, and ended with "BTW have you gotten rid of that Tiger yet?".

Only regret? didn't dump it sooner.

Bought a '69 (I think) Norton Commando 850, thinking of a bobber project. The thing had already been fairly well modded over the years. Could never get used to the right side shift, I don't know how many times I almost wrecked from slamming a downshift going for the brake, or locking up the rear tire going for a downshift. At least I sold it for more than I bought it.

Wes...the Top Gun bike was a Kawasaki Ninja 900.

You know that, and I know that, but that didn't stop every bozo in Nacogdoches from making a top gun joke. One year I needed a last minute Halloween costume so we picked up some aviators and a bomber jacket at the goodwill so I could go as Maverick to a party. People couldn't stop laughing all night. I even had someone cut my hair in that same 80's cut with no side burns. :rofl:

See, I would have slammed them for being wrong. LOL Of course, I wanted a Ninja 900 pretty bad at one point...

I actually spit a little of my beer on monitor laughing at the image of you jettisoning your carb at freeway speeds.

This one got me too. I had one of those real loud unnatural laughs that made me glad nobody was around to hear it.:rofl:

As for bikes I sure didn't miss.... Mine was a 90 Suzuki VX800.

I had a couple sport bikes up to this point and (at 25) told myself I had grown up and didn't need another sport bike. So I bought this in the fall.

Come spring it was out the door and I got an 85 Ninja 900. I just didn't enjoy the VX at all. Now the Ninja on the other hand... I loved that bike!! Guess I had not grown past the sport bike thing. That was 12 years ago and I've pretty much accepted that I will need to own at least one bike that has a strong sporty-element to it. Not that I need a gixxer or CBR, but anthing less sporty than my ST1300 just wouldn't work.

Mic

'79 Bonneville 750. Whenever someone said, "Nice bike" which they often did, I knew instantly that they had never owned one of those finger smelling like gasoline, zener diode blowing, valve guide wearing, kick start only motorcycles. It sure did look good though.:mrgreen:

My '98 Honda Blackbird. Stupid fast and it got to the point I didn't like to ride it unless I was going stupid fast. I knew I was either going to get put in jail or kill myself doing 150.

picture.php
This bike is awesome! Seriously, that is a sweet looking bike.

I traded a Speed Triple for my FZ1 and have never looked back. I mean, sure, I look, but it doesn't mean anything. I can't help it, its instinctual, yes I look at those Speed Triples with lusty eyes, it doesn't mean I don't love you baby. No I don't want to get back together with Speed Triple, I'm happy with you. You make more sense, why would I want anything else just because of looks? Of course you're not ugly! I just meant Speed Triple is a nice looking bike, it doesn't mean you're not sexy to me. You've got more power than Speed Triple, handle better, way more reliable, faster, more comfortable yet sportier, we travel together. Look, I'm happy with you, ok? I'm sorry dear, I'll stop looking at other bikes...when we're together.

04 Yamaha Vstar 1100 Classic.

It was my first bike after a 30 year layoff. My buddies all convinced me I needed a cruiser so I bought the Yamaha. I immediately knew I had made a bad choice. I hated it but gave it a good 6 months. I kept trying to do things the bike just wasn't built for and scraping hard parts. Not only did it not fit the kind of riding I wanted to do it just didn't fit me. After 45 minutes my bottom would hurt and my legs would start to cramp.

I was in heaven from day one when I traded for the WeeStrom.

I now have the St1300 but actually miss the Wee.

My '98 Honda Blackbird. Stupid fast and it got to the point I didn't like to ride it unless I was going stupid fast. I knew I was either going to get put in jail or kill myself doing 150.

There you go. I understand that. My 2007 Aprilia Tuono was my biggest mistake. Not because the bike was bad. Nooooo... It was good. Too good. So good that it did not like travelling at mere double digits. So, though it was good, it was not good for me.

2000 V-Star 650.
The "smog" Emissions plumbing wouldn't let it run below 36 degrees F! Got a paltry 35 MPG. Top speed against the wind 70 mph! If you could sit on it for an hour you had tough buns (I discovered sheep wool seat covers)
I stripped the emissions off and it would start and idle when it was 20 out! Mileage jumped to 45 mpg and after I drilled out the mufflers it would do 75 mph against the wind. With the seat cover I could drain the tank (200 miles). You could not run any extra electrics, I drained the battery with 35 watt driving lights at highway speeds. It sure looked good. Sold it to a young man for his first bike. Got me a Voyager XII, bought it with 40,000 sold it with 98,000. Put brushes in the alternator and new seals in the water jacket inlets. Brakes and tires.

BMW GS1150 Adventure. Overweight, underpowerd, overcomplicated, too maintenance intensive.

1973 (?) Honda CB450 - the only new bike I ever owned. Vibrated so bad it kept breaking the luggage rack. Beautiful bike, but not so good to ride. Burned the double overhead cams and bid her bye-bye. Subsequently got hold of a Suzuki T-500 Titan, made me forget how to spell Honda :-)

I'd put my '69 Norton Commando in 1st place and my '06 DL1000 in 2nd place.

Favorite ever: 1999 SV650

Least fav: 1982 KD80M, the bike that started my addiction, even though I could never keep it running or air in the tires.

Way too sporty in the ergos department:
DCP_1294_800x529.jpg

I really wanted a Harley and this was a mistake:
LC1500Intruder.jpg

I had one of those LC1500 rattle traps....day after I got it one of the driving lights fell off. For the next 5 months constantly had to tighten loose nuts and bolts. Day I traded it in mirror fell off while it warmed up in the driveway.

A Bultaco Pursang 125. On those rare occasions when the temperature and humidity were just right, when the moon was in the correct phase, and when the stars aligned just so, it was really fast and fun. But more often than not it was just a poor-running, unreliable, maintenance-intensive, hole to throw money into.

I forgot to mention... In 1970 I bought a Honda Dream 305 from a friend... very low mileage... only about 500 miles on it... looked like a miniature CopCycle... and in fact I used to park it right next to a Harley Cop bike at my apartments. I doubt I put a thousand miles on that bike because it vibrated so bad and had starting problems. I was indeed glad when I sold it for next to nothing... but the guy that bought it was thrilled of course.

Suzuki rmz250...Evil ******* child of suzuki-kawasaki. Who builds a production bike with a 20 hour motor?

GasGas 300. Great bike, horrible luck.

'84 vf750f. Corbin musta went to the local proctologist for seat design that year.

Suzuki Intruder 1400. 1400vtwin with 4 gears?

1969 250 CZ motocross, very expensive from Checkoslovakia, poor quality. But the power and suspension tops for the era. See Bultaco above.

My 01 Honda Rebel. There was nothing wrong with it, I just outgrew it. I used to call it Papa Smurf, it was small, but a great teacher, and it was blue. I know I've got a few photos floating around the house. I used to ride the snot out of it, did a ride from CS to Huntsville one day for coffee, when I got home, even the hair on my arm was vibrating. It was a fun bike, but it needed a new home with new riders to teach, so I don't regret it, even though I do miss it from time to time.

Shouldn't there also be a thread titled, "Bikes you have NOT sold and HAVE regretted"? :-P

Back