• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2009 Texas Adventure Ride registration now open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reservation made.....check's in the mail! (Bet you've heard that one before.)

I'm putting my registration in the mail tomorrow! Thanks again, Richard!

This will be my first real D/S ride. I am trying to figure out what I need to make sure I have on the bike. I will be riding a DL650 and hope to have skid plate and engine guards installed by then.

I plan on having;
expanded tool kit; tools that came with the bike with some additions.
Tire plug kit
compact tire pump
spare clutch and brake levers
camelback
GPS

I'm sure I'm missing something critical and want to make sure I'm not one of "those guys" that forgot something obvious and have to mooch.

Thanks,

Wombat -

I am NOT an expert by the remotest stretch of the imagination. That said, a CO2 canister or two to fill tires quickly is a nice luxury, and I have broken a clutch cable... thankfully it was just after getting home. What kind of tires are on the bike?

And just let me know if you'd like to borrow my Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVD... it is very good.

J

Getting the cast off tomorrow! I am soooo ready for a DS ride especially since I had to miss Uncles. Looking forward to seeing you all again. I'll get the registration out tomorrow Richard.

Dang GT, getting the cast off and running out 3 weeks later for a dualsport ride! :clap:

So, my check is "in the mail" finally as well. Now to see if there are any hotel rooms left.

I also used this as an excuse to armor up a bit...:trust: no fun wearing jeans on my last real ride .

Coolhand-
Thanks for the DVD offer, I think I will take you up on it. I will not be back to RR until the weekend though. I will PM you when I know more of my Saturday schedule. I am also going on the Hard 8 - Stephenville run on the 21st.
I have a Slime compact air pump and the wiring is all set up for it. I still have the OEM Trailwings on the bike. I know these are not the best anywhere, but I plan on taking things easy and not push my abilities too much. I also plan on staying on the easy routes. I think the weak points will be primarily my skill level.
Thanks,

This will be my first real D/S ride. I am trying to figure out what I need......

Thanks,

You already have the only two things you need:

(1) A Motorcycle

(2) A Great Attitude

Richard's dual sport adventure rides bring all types of riders, bikes, and experiences together for ONE great time. Just bring what you think you'll need, and take mental notes for the future after you get here. There will be too many people with all the right stuff in the unlikely event something goes poof (which, if it does, is usually a tire or a battery).

Share an open heart and a wide smile, because you'll have reason for both on a ride like this. Kick the logs at the campfire and enjoy the camraderie. Nobody cares what you ride or if its your first dual sport ride. You're part of the herd, and don't even have to act the part.

Dust kickers, rabble rousers, spittoon dingers is all we are. Back to the Wild Wild West, this event is. You're part of the posse just by signing up. Tip your hat to the ladies, and ride hard.

One of the best times of your life is just a few weeks away. Welcome.

Bob :sun:

489573440_vCPF7-XL.jpg

Trice are you all healed up? It was you that I met at the tech day awhile back who had recently had a bad crash in Mexico, correct?

I am REALLY getting excited about this trip. I haven't been on a big outing since I quit 4wheeling about 8 years ago. :rider: The way I figure, if everything is smooth sailing, ya don't have anything to tell the kids. Though hopefully the weather hold out :storm: if not....well I'll be cold and/or wet....It'll be a cool story though!:lol2:

Looking forward to meeting you guys. :chug:

Trice are you all healed up? It was you that I met at the tech day awhile back who had recently had a bad crash in Mexico, correct?

Tienes razón, amigo (you are correct). Since then, I've returned to Mexico on the Into the Blue tour, see the sig line. I'm fine, back to normal, whateer that is. Looking forward to the fire in Junction!

I am REALLY getting excited about this trip.

Looking forward to meeting you guys. :chug:

We'll warmly welcome you, amigo, and show you the Texas back country!

489669450_4tCYR-XL.jpg

Bob :sun:

The really funny part is that I grew up in Kerrville and use to run all over the back country when I was in high school. All paved, but I still remember the country. Lived in Arizona for a few years then southern Alabama. I've been living in the Austin area for the last 12 years. Looking forward to getting back into the Hills and out into the Plateau.

The tech day at my house? Bob was there and limping. What were you riding? and why can't I remember you? I'm so bad with names...

Hey Butcher, I was the guy on the faded red KLR, yes I know that doesn't narrow it down much :). I stuck around and oogled you guys doing the 'doo on the other KLR and the valves on the KLX. I did my oil and lent my tools out, and oogled your woodwork as well :)

Tienes razón, amigo (you are correct). Since then, I've returned to Mexico on the Into the Blue tour, see the sig line. I'm fine, back to normal, whateer that is. Looking forward to the fire in Junction!

Very nice, great RR :clap:

Speaking of Austin people and sorry for the SPAM (I wish I could edit my posts), but is there an Austin contingent convoying down on Thursday? I'm going to try and be out with enough time to make Junction in the daylight so I don't meet too many deer. Anybody else want to follow a slow (14T drive sprocket) KLR :trust: :lol2:

And Rusty I recently met a young guy who knows you and I can't really remember his name, maybe Jamey? He's either getting back into bikes or is fairly new to them. Friend of a friend thing, we were talking and TWT came up and he asked if I'd ever met a guy named WoodButcher... :)

OK they overbooked at La Vista :loco:

im at the Rodeway Inn (thank god for computer reservations)

but will cost about $200 for 3 nights, any one wants to split a double smoking let me know

Just reserved my room at the Sun Valley. Hope I don't break anything in the next two weeks.

OK they overbooked at La Vista :loco:

im at the Rodeway Inn (thank god for computer reservations)

but will cost about $200 for 3 nights, any one wants to split a double smoking let me know

$200 for three nights??? Criminy... Cancel and get one at Sun Valley?

So, how crazy would I be if I sold my KLR and bought a DR650 a week before the TAR? :) I took the KLR on MoPac today and confirmed a very noticeable surging at highway speeds... not to mention knocking under accel. I'm just not sure how far I trust the war horse. It's been good to me and it rides fine at communting (for me) speeds... But on long slab it surges and when I get on rougher class II it really wears me out.

Just trying to justify I suppose...

J

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back