• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

I guess I'll go first

haha, traffic really is a problem here in Keene. well the construction trucks are pretty annoying lately...

Re: New Rider

This is me. Last bike I had was the Ducati ST2 in Sept. 2005 when it was stolen during hurricane Rita. Lots of really bad stuff has happened since then. I'm alive, but will probably never ride again. Maybe they'll find a way to fix me. Who knows. Would be nice.

My primary interest in coming back here (couldn't remember my old password and the email has since changed) is that my girlfriend (for the past 2.5 years) is taking a rider safety course this weekend. She doesn't have a bike yet, or any gear either for that matter (is borrowing my old gear for the course). Figured that the classifieds here would be a good place to find her a bike. She likes cruisers, and I've talked her out of a Harley. A Honda Shadow VLX, or Kawasaki Vulcan EN500 would be a good bike for her I think. Or something along those lines.

Maybe if I'm lucky she can strap me onto the back and I can be on a bike again, even if its from the back.

Rubber side down, all.
--
Spider

Spider... I remember that name. I am pretty sure we met a few times, perhaps at one of the Montgomery Bike Nights at King's Cafe?

So were you in a bad accident on a bike?

Spider... I remember that name. I am pretty sure we met a few times, perhaps at one of the Montgomery Bike Nights at King's Cafe?

So were you in a bad accident on a bike?

We met there at King's few times, on Thursdays I think it was. Did some rides too, with a Buell that was constantly falling apart.

No, ironic as it is, no traffic accident crippled me. Just my own DNA. I turned 30 and my immune system started trying to fuse my joints together. Its called ankylosing spondylitis. Coupled with psoriatic arthritis. Here's a pic that should explain why I can't ride anymore:
Rhand0609.jpg
All the fingers are fused like that, but the thumb still moves. It hurts to use it to do anything. I take morphine 4x + a day. Have been on that level of pain meds for 3 years now. It doesn't help keep my head clear, so even if it didn't hurt, staying focused well enough to avoid accidents isn't a chance worth taking. Only way I know I've taken my meds is that it doesn't hurt as bad. My girlfriend drives me everywhere, or family if she's at work. She's wanted a bike since she learned to drive, and I'm encouraging it. Especially since it means I will get to ride on the back. Won't be the same as piloting myself, but I can't wait to be back on 2 wheels again, even if its from the back seat. :rider:

People would think I'm depressed or something, knowing only just that of my situation, but there are so many other good things in my life right now that I've never had before, that I'm actually pretty happy. Happier, in fact, than I've ever been with my life.

Once she gets a bike, we'll be sure to do some rides with you guys again. She (Merette aka Firefly) can't wait to get out on the open road with just 2 wheels. She drives her minivan like its a bike half the time, only a bit slower. And lives for road trips.

Shiny side up.
--
Spider

People would think I'm depressed or something, knowing only just that of my situation, but there are so many other good things in my life right now that I've never had before, that I'm actually pretty happy. Happier, in fact, than I've ever been with my life.

Life is strange that way... I'm glad you are able to keep such a positive perspective :thumb:

I second what Scott said, Spider. Here's to you getting back on (the back of) a bike.

By the way, creepy avatar. Distinctive, though.

I'll second what RedPill said. Hope to get the chance to meet you and your girlfriend at one of the Thursday Night Bike Nights.

Back