• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Ride Hard, Take Unnecessary Chances, Safety Third - MexTrek 2009

Got Trail?
PA160387.png
This is classic.

"TricePilot in La Encontada. The mountain peak in the background is called El Viejo (like me) and it stands guard overlooking Zaragoza, many rocky switchbacks away."
Milton quote above.

When I told the two Mexican men that took me to the boarder that I was just and old man, they responded with," the mountains are 100's of years older and they stiil have wood standing tall".

this is the best thread ever!!! (the photos are great and make me feel like I was there, just at a nice, comfortable distance :eek2:)

these are great photos. my slideshow grows and grows. If you guys have not taken the time to watch Jarretts' videos, you must do so immediately. I would give a lot to be as young as some of you guys, with the time to develop the skills and the resources to do stuff like this. Enjoy it while you can.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It turns out my bike likes the "unknown"

TransalpLarge.jpg

See Shadman Peter working on the worlds first Mextrek hydrogen powered motorcycle, with pure H2O as the only exhaust!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYcUS...layer_embedded

I had a GREAT time in Mexico, I can not wait to find more beutiful places for us to have our bikes breakdown.

MichaelsbreakdownLarge.jpg

MichaelLarge.jpg

Speaking of beautiful places, here's the first of the 28 - Routa Del Muerto river crossings:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxZH3SeMOZs

I think it was Tricepilot who reccomended bringing soccer balls for the kids, here's a video of some kids at a school on the "Top of the World" trail getting two of the three I brought to Mexico.(next year I will bring more)-The teacher said they didn't yet have a real soccer ball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvdgKL93UsE

Just so we get up in time for the days rides(and bacon,coffee and eggs) here's Galeanas own dog sounding alarm clock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRYiwnlawwo

And once you get back after dark in the rain, you can have the guy with that Total Recall growth wash your bike for 20 pesos plus tip.

totalrecallguyLarge.jpg

This next photo just sums up how much fun we had in Mexico:
sombreroLarge.jpg

Man those are cool videos Jarrett! While watching I find myself scanning the trail looking for the best line...... Reliving the ride!! :rider:

Wowsers! I thought the Milpillas-Caballada loop was fun. Looks like I missed the big one....I'm ready to go back and visit the General, just need to find a partner. Thanks for all the great pics.

WOW !!!! Looks like MexTrex 09 was a great ride! - Except for Don whom I hope is recovering well. :sun:
Jarrett and Scott even found new Sangria VICTIMS. Here's to up, here's to down and here's to your mother or something like that. :rofl:
Great pics everyone and video Jarrett. :clap: Except for the Imodium AD, :giveup: I felt like I was there!
The comraderie of Richard's rides are matched by none - Milton you were right, wished I made it three in a row. :rider:

Thanks, to Albert for his help.

FYI for KLR's (or any petcocks )

KLR ran crappy-fuel ran out the carb vent-
this happened before on my Guatamala trip-rebuilt the carb- no problem for
5k miles - started again after leaving Rayones for Galeana

Upon returning home- found my problem source-

shredded the selector gasket, #43049, when turning the petcock-
the chunks of gasket will clog your petcock - jets & float valve and won't dissolve in carb cleaning fuel additives

my advise is to change this gasket often & put a filter after the petcock!

also: if you pull to hard on the fuel line - the inlet "L" tube in the carb, will snap ( they do not stock these Galeana?)

solution: take the vent fitting "L" tube and swap it for the broken part!

Always an adventure, Had lots of fun!!

MFF

Attachments

• petcockblowup.jpg
    petcockblowup.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 223
Arghhhh - so that's what they mean by taking along an extra petcock

I took this all the way to Galeana:

688153094_b9qRi-O.jpg

:drums:

:tab So I am curious about taking gifts for the locals. Some people are no doubt proud and may be offended by wealthier people giving them handouts. Has that ever been an issue for anyone down there? I have heard of people taking candy for the kids, and also coloring books with crayons or colored pencils (and sharpeners!). I know they are more bulky, but what about more serious things like clothing, school supplies, toys, bicycles, etc,...? I was thinking it would be neat if there were some way we could gather donations here and have them shipped or trucked down there for the rides. This way we could get people things that might not conveniently fit on a bike. It might even be worth having someone that rides in the areas talk with people to find out what they might really need so the help could be specific.

Excellent ride reports!! Shadman! You are too much!!

I can't wait for my next little ride in the country!!!!:rider:

Absolutely wonderful stories and pictures. The photo of the little girl with Trice's framed picture is something else, as are the amazing riding and scenery shots. Really great! I'll be informing the wife that I'm going on the next MexTrek... :clap: :clap:

Last edited:
Jarrett and Scott even found new Sangria VICTIMS. Here's to up, here's to down and here's to your mother or something like that. :rofl:

Man we forgot to do the toast like last year. The owner was ready to close so we only got two shots each, not sure those young bucks would have been able to keep up anyway :mrgreen:

So there were a few cases of Montezuma's revenge? I'd hate to get all the way down there and them miss the riding because of that! :doh: :uhoh:

Not sure, maybe that's why Primo had to ride home in the back of the truck :rofl:
DSCF0654.jpg
[/IMG]

Had a great time as usual, already can't wait until next year's ride. Here's a link to some of the pictures that I took.

:tab So I am curious about taking gifts for the locals. Some people are no doubt proud and may be offended by wealthier people giving them handouts. Has that ever been an issue for anyone down there? I have heard of people taking candy for the kids, and also coloring books with crayons or colored pencils (and sharpeners!). I know they are more bulky, but what about more serious things like clothing, school supplies, toys, bicycles, etc,...? I was thinking it would be neat if there were some way we could gather donations here and have them shipped or trucked down there for the rides. This way we could get people things that might not conveniently fit on a bike. It might even be worth having someone that rides in the areas talk with people to find out what they might really need so the help could be specific.

I visited with the telesecondaria teacher and students in La Joya where we left the little girls photo. I pass by there 2-3 times a year and want to take supplies that are usefull. Teacher said without hesitating that they could use markers. Students said they could use spiral tablets. We are developing the relationship with this community. La Joya is on the north side of Cerro Potosi.
The soccer ball gifting is another great idea.

I was thinking it would be neat if there were some way we could gather donations here and have them shipped or trucked down there for the rides. This way we could get people things that might not conveniently fit on a bike. It might even be worth having someone that rides in the areas talk with people to find out what they might really need so the help could be specific.

Great idea! I've only been on one of these rides, but I will say that I've never felt more welcomed to such a great place.:rider:

Absolutely wonderful stories and pictures. The photo of the little girl with Trice's framed picture is something else, as are the amazing riding and scenery shots. Really great! I'll be informing the wife that I'm going on the next MexTrek... :clap: :clap:

There are two photographers - that's Martin's framed photo, he took it a year ago and presented the gift, I took the photo of her holding it. I was lucky to capture her wonderful expression - her eyes and smile that I still can't get over.

Back