• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2010 Pie Run Schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gilk51

Reaction score
First Name
Charles ("Chuck")
Last Name
Gibke
OK, I have gulped and made the 2010 schedule final. Send all your complaints to Tourmeister! :nana:

Jan 30 - The Koffee Kup, Hico
Feb 27 - Waverly House Restaurant, New Waverly (new)
Mar 27 - Lucy's On the Square, Celina
Apr 24 - Sam's Restaurant, Fairfield
May 29 - Love Creek Orchards Patio Cafe, Medina
June 26 - MidPoint Cafe, Adrian (Amarillo area - new)
July 31 - Chisholm Restaurant, Godley (new)
Aug 28 - City Cafe, Elgin (new)
Sep 25 - Texan Cafe (Debbie's Pies), Hutto
Oct 30 - The Shed, Edom
Nov 20 - Tony's Family Restaurant, Sealy
Dec 18 - Moosehead Cafe, Crockett (day trip)

Yes, that's 4 new places, but it addresses several recommendations that have been on the back-burner.

---

I am also looking at the end-of-year as a hybrid RTE to Crockett and optional overnight in Bryan-College Station. The main meal of the day would be lunchtime and then maybe have a lighter meal close to the hotel, followed by slide shows and gabbing (assuming we can put some shows together) at the hotel. We have about 10.5 months to make a decision on that... :ponder:

It's all for the pie! :eat:

Last edited:
Just my little opinion on the End of the Year, but I'd be good either way. I have been to a couple of the overnight'ers, but can understand 100% of the complications that it creates. I would have been at this year's EotY run, but family plans surfaced and couldn't make it. But it wasn't because it was a normal style pie run, it was just because plans didn't pan out.

And I do like the Amarillo stop. It will give me a reason to get up there and visit Forrest. And maybe that could be an overnight one with camping in Palo Duro (for those that want to)?

I am good either way for end of year as well.

We had a house full of guests or I would have been in Crockett.

I am fairly new to the P. Runs so my opinion may not be too representative... but an overnight stay although not necessarily be a deal killer may not be too exciting for me.

With either schedule, I will try to make it to as many runs as I can; for those too far from Houston and close to the DFW area, I would probably stay overnight.

Chuck, thanks for the efforts put into this. I hope to see you often.

Camilo

Since Adrian is being consider, I would should point out that there is Motel(s) in the area. A couple Mom and Pops and few national chains in Vega, as well asa MnP in Adrian. While in the Route 66 area, ridiers could make a side trip west to the ghosttown of Glenrio and a five mile ride on the dirt portion of 66 to Endee in NM.
Understandably, many think that this part of Texas is flat and barren which it is, but that is part of the beauty of the Panhandle. Since many pie eaters will be coming from the South and East, I can suggest a few roads and routes that can dip riders into the canyons and ride along the Llano Estacado to make one think otherwise. I would think that a few riders would probably choose to make the trip an overnighter since it is a days ride for many. Believe it or not there is plenty of great roads up here that is worth the fuel to see.
Hopefully I can make the first PR in Hico, just have to see how the weather plays out. The cold I can handle its all the ice and snow that shuts me down.

Last edited:
Since I haven't made a December pie run yet, I may not be the best one to comment on this, but I prefer a day trip. There is so much going on at the end of the year that it's just difficult from both time and money perspectives to do an overnighter then. Tom (Hairsmith) might call me a wimp, but December weather can be challenging for longer rides too. I like the idea of an overnighter, but the timing is just bad.

What I would really like to see is an overnighter a little earlier in the year. I realize that December makes a nice convenient year-end wrap party. I would like to do something like that, but December is just tough. I already cited time and money, but weather is also an issue in December. It doesn't fit the year-end thing nearly as well as December does, but for me, an overnight get together in September or October would work a lot better. Better weather and fewer conflicts with holiday and family stuff. Just an idea...

I know I've only been on 1 Pie Run but I wonder if you couldn't go deeper east Texas rather than Fairfield. Nacogdoches or Henderson make good spots or perhaps get over closer to Louisiana (Toledo Bend area) and encourage some Louisiana folks to join in? Just my $0.02 worth.

I like the extended visiting opportunities for an overnight end-of-year run, but time constraints would probably lead me to lean toward a day trip. Do we know where the majority of our population resides?

The schedule looks pretty good to me. Amarillo is probably one I'll let others enjoy. :wave:

The RTE Skunkworks is having discussions about some RTE's that may help fill in the gap on excuses to ride. Be looking for those if you are wanting to kill a Saturday here and there.

Like some of mentioned December is a bit cool for long rides. I know overnighters are a lot of extra work and the two Piemen have done a great job, but I too prefer the extra time to visit and talk and enjoy all the great slide shows. With that said, I also like the idea of a end of fiscal year pie run in Sept. :-)

Since I am very new to this and since I have never been on a pie run, I guess I can claim stupidity for my questions..........
Wouldn't it make more sense to split the State up by quarters and have a fair share of runs across the state? That would make it equal to everyone. Isnt this all about everyone enjoying this sport?

I probably won't make any that are more than 3 hours or so from Sugar Land, but that's because I'm a wimp. :giveup:

OK, I'll try to address a question or comment.

Just like several folks mentioned about not attending due to family and holiday plans, the main reason that we didn't do an overnight this year with slide shows and stuff was the same thing - folks' schedules and "life" in general. The end of this year was very busy for the people that have contributed to these in the past.

I am probably going to go with the second schedule (December in Crocket again) unless folks come up with some good arguments for the first one. I will decide by Sunday (1/3) so everyone can schedule vacation for each month next week. ;-)

Most (like 95%) of the participants live in the triangle of Houston, Austin, and DFW. We have gotten zero participation from anyone west of Abilene, even when we visited Ft. Davis. The reason that Amarillo (Adrain/Adrian) is being considered was because of the folks in Lubbock and Amarillo that came when we visited Slayton. (this doesn't include FJR-Bandit who rides in from New Mex sometimes for pie)

The second schedule will have 2 potential overnight trips - Medina in May (typically the "long" trip for most people) and Amarillo in September. I did overnights in Corpus and Slayton in 2009.

If you want to visit a part of Texas, you need to recommend a location. We have a running list of suggestions. I usually consider a new place when 2 or more folks enthusiastically recommend it (or they keep bugging me about it). I guess that Crockett is not deep enough into east Texas. Remember that the place needs to be big enough to handle our group (potentially 100+ when close to Houston or inside the "triangle") with adequate seating and parking. I have a long enough list to make the choices challenging and don't plan to do any scouting anytime soon.

One thing I do try to do is pick locations inside the triangle for July and August, typically the hottest months for Texas. Hopefully, this makes a reasonable ride for most folks.

Anyway, since I won't ever make everyone happy, I do try to spread out the locations so more folks can make it. Plus, this schedule is not the ONLY rides to go chase down some pie! You can do your own RTE (ride to eat) like Jack (JacknTexas) does on regular Sundays if you have a favorite place that isn't on the schedule.

:rider::eat::rider:

Last edited:
Chuck, I like number 2 even with the uncertaintyo f Adrain/Adrian/Amarillo.

We'd have made Crockett this year, but end-of-year obligations took us out.

Thanks for all you do here, Chuck.:clap:

...so when do we start a pot luck pie run at someone's house? :eat:

I'm new and have not been to a pie run yet nor have I met any of you guys yet . I do see several runs that I plan to make. Day runs are a go for me but overnight runs are a toss up although I was born in Amarillo so that may be one I really try to make. Palo Duro canyon is awesome.

...so when do we start a pot luck pie run at someone's house? :eat:

When we get the living room and dining room flooring in and the kitchen repainted we will volunteer our house for a stop.

I am probably going to go with the second schedule (December in Crocket again) unless folks come up with some good arguments for the first one. I will decide by Sunday (1/3) so everyone can schedule vacation for each month next week. ;-)

Thank you for all the work you do on this, Chuck. :clap:

Plus, this schedule is not the ONLY rides to go chase down some pie! You can do your own RTE (ride to eat) like Jack (JacknTexas) does on regular Sundays if you have a favorite place that isn't on the schedule.

Hear! Hear! :clap:

Pie Run rookie here, having been to the Nov Ponder run. Like a few others, EOY overnighters in Dec are problematic, but I'm not fussing. Thank you Chuck for doing this and I will go to those that I can make as you decide the schedule.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back