• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Critique My Photo thread...

M38A1

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Several people have asked if we could have a "Critique My Photo" sub-forum. As such, we now have a dedicated sub-forum for folks to post their shot(s) and request honest feedback from others. Some may ask "isn't this the same as the photo assignment discussion thread"? Not exactly, as those are assignment specific and this will be used for critiques outside of the assignments.

Honest feedback must be done in a constructive manner, so please respect the person who has requested your input. This is NOT the place to flame someone or their shot, so if you don't like something, present in a nice way what doesn't work for you and your possible suggestions to improve it. I imagine a lot of technique type shots, framing, colors, heavy post, HDR and so forth will be posted asking others for input, tips or suggestions. If you have a special question about a shot posted you want addressed, then mention it. Otherwise, all areas are open for comment to include exposure, composition, DOF, colors, post-processing, effects, focus and so forth.

Please post the EXIF metadata with each shot as to speed the analysis side of the equation. For PC users, it's usually contained in the "Properties" section of a file with a right-click, "Properties", "Advanced". There are also several programs floating around that will display this info as well.

Also, please number the images #1, #2 etc. if more than one is presented. That way, critiques can be done to the appropriate image.

Please title the thread "Critique - [your title]" to avert any confusion. If it's in this Critique section, it will be critiqued, but please..... don't post other shots. These are SINGLE THREAD posts, ie: the person submitting for critique really does control the photo content unless others modify (with permission) the original.

Please accept that photos submitted in this sub-forum may be modified by others to present their ideas unless you specifically request no modifications be made.

All forum rules apply regarding the suitability of images presented.

As always, if you have questions, just ask!

Last edited:
Good idea Scott....but how about having the poster include the EXIF information with the photo instead of having them only provide when asked?

That way any exposure issues can be addressed quickly.

Just a thought.

Good idea Scott....but how about having the poster include the EXIF information with the photo instead of having them only provide when asked?

That way any exposure issues can be addressed quickly.

Just a thought.

Excellent idea! I'll incorporate that into the first post.

I'd think that posting in this thread should imply that editing is okay.

What is the best way to capture the EXIF info for display? I know I can see it in many programs, but so far in this thread we have a screen capture and what I think is a cut and paste. Just wondering how Tracker found a tool that let you cut and paste.

What is the best way to capture the EXIF info for display? I know I can see it in many programs, but so far in this thread we have a screen capture and what I think is a cut and paste. Just wondering how Tracker found a tool that let you cut and paste.

You would think that, but you never know...it's much better to know for sure. There are a couple of photo forums that I hang out in that make the members indicate whether editing their photos by other members is ok and it seems to keep problems from happening.

...maybe we should have poster indicate either in their sig line or in the post if editing their photos by members in this thread only is ok with them.

I'm sort of in the camp that if it's posted in this thread, it's fair game for critique which may or may not include someone elses tweaking or edit. Remember - we're not out to destroy anyones creation, but receiving constructive comment and seeing what others view as potential opens up one's own eyes.

I know I've been guilty of editing others shots in different threads, and now I see the error of my ways. :doh: So for that, I apologize.

Thoughts?

I'm sort of in the camp that if it's posted in this thread, it's fair game for critique which may or may not include someone elses tweaking or edit. Remember - we're not out to destroy anyones creation, but receiving constructive comment and seeing what others view as potential opens up one's own eyes.

I know I've been guilty of editing others shots in different threads, and now I see the error of my ways. :doh: So for that, I apologize.

Thoughts?

+1. I vote that the default would be editing allowed unless poster specifically indicates otherwise.

...and the straggler sticks bother me, too. Not worth the effort to virtually prune them, but maybe I'll start carrying pruning shears in my photo bag. :lol2:

This is a great idea. I have one thought though that will not get out of my head. Would it not be more efficient to have this in its own catagory "photo critiques" instead of one thread. Or start a new thread in the root "photography" forum holder with CC Request in the title.

When does one add a new photo, how many posts is sufficient before adding a new photo, or quitting the critique of the previously posted photo. As this gains momentum, will it not become a little chaotic to follow when there are 4, 5, 6 or more photos posted in quick succession?

Love the idea, love the critiques already posted, but as I said, just thinking out loud. I assure everyone I am not trying to fire hose this initiative.

This is a great idea. I have one thought though that will not get out of my head. Would it not be more efficient to have this in its own catagory "photo critiques" instead of one thread. Or start a new thread in the root "photography" forum holder with CC Request in the title.

When does one add a new photo, how many posts is sufficient before adding a new photo, or quitting the critique of the previously posted photo. As this gains momentum, will it not become a little chaotic to follow when there are 4, 5, 6 or more photos posted in quick succession?

Love the idea, love the critiques already posted, but as I said, just thinking out loud. I assure everyone I am not trying to fire hose this initiative.

'nuther great idea running up the chain at the moment. Stay tuned.

+1. one photo per thread in a sub-forum called Critiques with a stick about the how to's sounds good.

Back