• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

TAR 2010, April 15 - 18, 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've not run the Shinko 705 or Kenda 761, but I have run both the Gripster (on a KLR) and the Tourance (on the Wee). I got about 4000-5000 miles out of the Gripster and 8000-9000 miles from the Tourance.

I have to replace my tires before the TAR so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I was planning on getting something like the Anakee/Tourance since I primarily ride on pavement, but wasn't sure if that would work well for TAR. Any recommendations? I have an BMW F650 classic so the tire choice is somewhat limited.

The f650 guru will be here for the tech day/fish fry on Sat. He is changing several tires for his F 650's. Tires are easy to source in Austin for the F. I own one also. Currently running Mefo Explorers but I no longer can reccommend them as ther have been problems with cracking around the knobs. The set up richard talked about would work well on the F.
Come on out Sat if you can score the tires.

Well, I'm in, for my second trip. Being as I'm a real procrastinator I'll be staying at the Roadway Inn. Well at least it's still in Junction !!!! LoL.

Had a little bike trouble last year so while you were enjoying the banquet I was on the side of the road in the middle of no where. My ride mate, just two of us wanted to see the "Alamo", made it in to town and got my van and trailer and somehow managed to find me again.
I learned two things on the little trip. First, don't put too much faith in your cell phone for rescue. :help: And second, when you drop your bike and let most of the fluid drain from your battery, you are going to have a short ride. :-(
Gosh, I just love those "learning opportunities". :-|

i'm leaning to camp and ride, or at least camp

anyone want to split a KOA site (if possible) and let me set up a tent?

:eat2:

I need to setup a tent or share a room. Have you already reserved a spot?

Jbay - I have a campsite reserved at the state park south of town and you're more than welcome to set up a tent. LMK.

Texican

no I have not reserved, but I sent a PM to Texican to share a site

I don't know how many can share a spot :shrug:

I have been on the Reserve America site for the last few minutes trying to get a site at the State Park too, the site is not responding now. Maybe in the morning. The Park website says maximum 2 vehicles per site.

Inks Lake says the same thing, but they were fine with 4 bikes. There was also separate parking if we needed more space. I think they want to avoid situations where vehicles would be tempted/forced to park off the paved surface. I'd just call down there to check.

JBay - PM responded to.

jthompson - You can get it done through Reserve America, but the Texas State Park system has a reservations office in Austin where you can call to make reservations. It's all they do. Google Texas State Park and you'll not have trouble finding the number. They'll want a credit card number to reserve the site for you, but I've never had them charge my credit card until I actually showed up to camp. You can cancel, reschedule, etc....they're pretty easy to work with.

Thanks,

Texican

JBay - PM responded to.

jthompson - You can get it done through Reserve America, but the Texas State Park system has a reservations office in Austin where you can call to make reservations. It's all they do. Google Texas State Park and you'll not have trouble finding the number. They'll want a credit card number to reserve the site for you, but I've never had them charge my credit card until I actually showed up to camp. You can cancel, reschedule, etc....they're pretty easy to work with.

Thanks,

Texican

Reserve America is the site that is not working. They seem to be having trouble with their links to TX State Parks system. I'll call the parks system at lunch time if Reserve America is not back up.
Thanks,
John

They must be reading this thread, someone bounced the server and now it works. :sun:

Reservations completed.

i just camped at S. Llano River SP last weekend. The park people there are great and it was a nice SP.

Almost ready for TAR and Mextrek, just installed the MOAB shock will install progressive springs tomorrow. Now I know why my rear tire stayed on the ground while on center stand!:rider: I knew something wasn't right :lol2:

Hill Country Recon

Went out to Garner SP Tuesday for an overnight and a patrol of the Texas HC:

824857692_74hNj-XL.jpg

Other than Kent Creek Road being closed-gated on both ends, it's looking nice out there...

Just did Threadgill Creek road yesterday (south of Mason) and the big fields of bluebonnets were a bust. Lots of flowers on the highways, but either these aren't up yet or they just didn't get the right stuff this year.

Re: Hill Country Recon

Other than Kent Creek Road being closed-gated on both ends, it's looking nice out there...

:doh: The landowners were asking the county to abandon Kent Creek Road. It sounds like it finally may have happened.

Just did Threadgill Creek road yesterday (south of Mason) and the big fields of bluebonnets were a bust. Lots of flowers on the highways, but either these aren't up yet or they just didn't get the right stuff this year.

Did you happen to try Lehmann Rd? It looks fun on the map.

I need a "job" like this so I can write of moto wandering. :clap:

This is my first group ride.. I sent my money in today and reserved a camp site at S. Llano River SP. I will be coming form NW Houston

Welcome!
I'm going from NW Houston as well, if you're riding we can ride together.

This is my first group ride.. I sent my money in today and reserved a camp site at S. Llano River SP. I will be coming form NW Houston

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back