• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Mexican food in Austin?

Reaction score
What restaurant serves the Best mexican in Austin? Anyone been to "Jaun in a Million", if so any good? Any suggestions appreciated! We'll be traveling thru on the 15th and lodging for the night! Thanks

Juan in a million is good. My favorite is either Dario's or Amaya's Taco Villiage. Best real interior Mexican food (non-Tex-Mex)? Fonda San Miguel. Matt's El Rancho gets high marks but I don't have any recent experience.

Edit: I forgot about Guero's and El Arroyo. :eat: Where are you staying?

Last edited:
We went to Matt's on Sunday, it is good if you like the old style, traditional Tex-Mex restaurants. My wife loves it because it reminds her of the type of Mexican food her mother made.

We stopped at a little place out on the south side of 183 a couple years ago , I dont know the name of it , it was a green red and white building out in front of a strip mall but it was down home south of the border real Mexican food no tekmex fair there . I ought to go look for it again if the traffic didn't suck so bad out there

No good, authentic interior-Mexican restaurants in Austin that hardly anybody knows about....

Move along, nothing to see here, move along, show's over....

I'm partial to some of the smaller taqueria's around. Arrandinas next to Round Rock high school is good. There are several La Tapatia locations around town and both I've tried were good food, lots of it and low prices. Also Jardin del Rey way north on 183 is good.

And I always enjoy Chuy's for Tex-Mex.

No good, authentic interior-Mexican restaurants in Austin that hardly anybody knows about....

Move along, nothing to see here, move along, show's over....

+1

Most Tex-Mex restaurants blend together...regular Mexican food can be quite bland.

La Fonda San Miguel in Austin has a lovely setting and colorful interior but the food is over-priced and the portions a bit paltry. The only thing that I might suggest is going to their Sunday brunch buffet at La Fonda, while $expensive$, provides a wide array of Mexican dishes from various regions in Mexico to sample.

RB

This is like asking what oil should I use.

I like Azul Tequila, there's a lot of places on South 1st Street, and any number of places in south Austin where you have to order in Spanish. Start trying them and pick your own favorite.

I really, really like Habanero's Mexican Cafe at 501 West Oltorf St (between 1st and Congress). It's a little hole in the wall place, in a converted house. The food is excellent and, not surprising considering they are named after a pepper, a bit spicy. The steak ranchero is my favorite, but I've always been a fan of spicy Mexican steak. Lunch is always busy (because the food is so good) so go early or be prepared to wait a bit.

As a mexican food fan I've eaten at many of the favorites listed in this thread (Curra, Guerros, Azul, Juan in a Million, Matt's, Chuys, Trudys, Serranos) and they are all good, but my top choice is Habaneros.

My 2nd favorite is Morelia Mexican Cafe in Round Rock & Elgin. Jerry Powell clued me to them at the Elgin store about a year ago and I really like the food, especially the fajitas. To my delight they recently opened the Round Rock store so now I can get a Morelia fix without always having to drive to Elgin.

This is like asking what oil should I use.

I like Azul Tequila, there's a lot of places on South 1st Street, and any number of places in south Austin where you have to order in Spanish. Start trying them and pick your own favorite.

That would be a pretty hard thing to do since they're only going to be in town for one night. :lol2:

I like Azul Tequila,

Arrrrrrgh. That's the one I was trying to keep from going public. Now you've ruined yet ANOTHER favorite Mexican restaurant for me. First it was Curra's, then Polvo's, now you've jinxed Azul Tequila....

Where else can you shop for bulk toilet paper, radio controlled helicopters and reptiles within 100 feet of fantastic mexican food???

Arrrrrrgh. That's the one I was trying to keep from going public. Now you've ruined yet ANOTHER favorite Mexican restaurant for me. First it was Curra's, then Polvo's, now you've jinxed Azul Tequila....

Where else can you shop for bulk toilet paper, radio controlled helicopters and reptiles within 100 feet of fantastic mexican food???

Last few times I've been there, it looked like they could use the business.

Back