• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Mexican food in Austin?

Arrrrrrgh. That's the one I was trying to keep from going public. Now you've ruined yet ANOTHER favorite Mexican restaurant for me. First it was Curra's, then Polvo's, now you've jinxed Azul Tequila....

Where else can you shop for bulk toilet paper, radio controlled helicopters and reptiles within 100 feet of fantastic mexican food???

Last few times I've been there, it looked like they could use the business.

I work off Ben White and have been there quite a few times for lunch and there is NEVER a crowd. I'd say your secret is safe.

Last few times I've been there, it looked like they could use the business.

I work off Ben White and have been there quite a few times for lunch and there is NEVER a crowd. I'd say your secret is safe.

Let's keep it that way. :trust: Azul started to get crowded on Friday and Saturday evenings a few years ago but it has slowed down again. I'm not ready to lose it to the yuppies like I did Curra's and Polvo's.

Oh well, I imagine I'll always have Taqueria Arandas. Doh! :doh: Did I just say that out loud???

It's a little Mom&Pop place, but La Cocina in Round Rock, on McNeil 1 1/2 blocks west of I-35 has awesome Mexican (or Italian!) food. Really. Good. Stuff. :eat:

My turn:

There are no good mexican restaurants on South First. Go eat at Fonda, move along, nothing to good to eat here or elsewhere in South Austin....

Re: Fonda San Miguel

This will be the place for us!

Great place. I stole their recipe for pear margaritas. I recommend one (or five) along with some tacos al pastor in the courtyard by the bar.

Eating at Fonda feels just like Mexico except the numbers on the menu represent dollars instead of pesos. kaching!

Interesting data in this thread. I've always been fond of Chuy's as far as tex mex goes, but i live within walking distance of fonda san miguel and have never been there. From what i can see, FSM is pretty expensive, chuy's is moderately priced but be prepared for a bit of a wait. Make sure you ask for the green chipotle for your chips at chuy's, they won't bring it unless you ask for it.

Taqueria Arrandas has about 6 locations, is cheap but food quality varies wildly from location to location

Trudy's has the best drinks, mexican martinis, but you are limited to 2.

Z tejas is a great place too, I like the arborteum location

z-tejas serves pretty good chow, although it would be hard to call it Mexican. More like Southwest in my opinion. What's with having order chips and salsa separately?

Flores, Nuevo Leon and Cisco's are interesting places as well.

The wife and I are becoming fans of Torchy's Tacos on South First.

Flores, Nuevo Leon and Cisco's are interesting places as well.

The wife and I are becoming fans of Torchy's Tacos on South First.

Torchy's rocks! I just can't bring myself to order the "Dirty Sanchez" but the "Little Nookies" are fantastic....

We have been going to the Torchy's location on William Cannon quite often.
They are also opening up soon in DFW, I wonder if they will have the Dublin DP and Boylan's fountain drinks there as well.

Austin Business Journal - Torchy's Tacos heads to Big D
Wednesday, May 5, 2010 | Modified: Thursday, May 6, 2010

Growing Austin taco maker Torchy's Tacos is opening two more locations, including its first out-of-town spot in Dallas.

The local company currently operates five Austin area locations, including its newest spot at 4211 Spicewood Springs Road off Mopac. The company touts its use of Texas-only ingredients, save for green chillies harvested in Mexico.

The newest locations will be located at 5119 Burnett Road in Austin and at 5921 Forest Lane in Dallas, according to the company's website. Torchy's said the Dallas location should open June 22.

Co-owners Michael Rypka and Bob Gentry opened the first Torchy's in 2006.

Last edited:
Maria' Taco Xpress looked amazing on Diner's Drive-Ins and Dives, although I have never been there.

Linky below.

http://www.flavortownusa.com/marias-taco-xpress.aspx

Maria's migas taco are on the VERY short list of my last meals to be consumed immediately before the proverbial cigarette and blindfold. Whenever I am grumpy or down or otherwise impossible to get along with I hop on a motorcycle and swing by Maria's for a migas taco or two. It has never failed to pick me up and remind me it's good to be alive, healthy and living in South Austin.

Watching Maria's Migas tacos made on the griddle during a busy morning is a thing of beauty...more so before they re-built the shop but still wonderful and magical. The no-nonsense cashier takes your order and expects you to act like you know what you are doing. Friendly but direct. The cook stands behind the cashier with his back to you and bellied up to the wide griddle. He is wielding a big, commercial spatula in each hand. I always think of him as "Edward SpatulaHands". Lining the side of the griddle are stainless steel bowls of eggs, tortilla chips, grated cheese, peppers/onions and stacks of flour tortillas.

The cashier shouts your order and the cook, never looking back, immediately tilts eggs out of the bowl onto the hot griddle. Eggs sizzle and bubble and hiss while clouds of steam quickly envelope the griddle. SpatulaHands flicks tortilla chips on to the griddle to warm then - almost too fast to see - flicks some peppers and onions into the eggs.

A blur of spatulas and suddenly the eggs, tortilla chips and peppers/onions are mixed and a mound of shredded cheddar cheese has miraculously appeared DIRECTLY on the griddle. This, I believe, is the key to the Maria's migas. The cheese hits the griddle and begins to melt and caramelize and get all crispy and chewy and melty and remarkable.

Tortillas have somehow made their way to the griddle while you were contemplating the miracle of the cheese and, after another blur of spatulas, the egg mixture is soon resting on top of the magical cheese.

One last blur of spatulas and the migas are now on the warm tortillas. A helper - with no spatula hands - slaps the tacos into squares of foil then into plastic trays and slides them to you over the bar and while shouting your number.

The next step is up to you and this is a very, very important step dear eater: ladle the vinegary cilantro/pepper chimmicurri salsa on to the migas (this, I believe, is the second most important part of Maria's migas) then tote them to the deck overlooking South Lamar and bask in the knowledge that when you are alive and healthy and enjoying migas tacos in South Austin, America everything will be all right with the world...

Maria's migas taco are on the VERY short list of my last meals to be consumed immediately before the proverbial cigarette and blindfold. Whenever I am grumpy or down or otherwise impossible to get along with I hop on a motorcycle and swing by Maria's for a migas taco or two. It has never failed to pick me up and remind me it's good to be alive, healthy and living in South Austin.

Watching Maria's Migas tacos made on the griddle during a busy morning is a thing of beauty...more so before they re-built the shop but still wonderful and magical. The no-nonsense cashier takes your order and expects you to act like you know what you are doing. Friendly but direct. The cook stands behind the cashier with his back to you and bellied up to the wide griddle. He is wielding a big, commercial spatula in each hand. I always think of him as "Edward SpatulaHands". Lining the side of the griddle are stainless steel bowls of eggs, tortilla chips, grated cheese, peppers/onions and stacks of flour tortillas.

The cashier shouts your order and the cook, never looking back, immediately tilts eggs out of the bowl onto the hot griddle. Eggs sizzle and bubble and hiss while clouds of steam quickly envelope the griddle. SpatulaHands flicks tortilla chips on to the griddle to warm then - almost too fast to see - flicks some peppers and onions into the eggs.

A blur of spatulas and suddenly the eggs, tortilla chips and peppers/onions are mixed and a mound of shredded cheddar cheese has miraculously appeared DIRECTLY on the griddle. This, I believe, is the key to the Maria's migas. The cheese hits the griddle and begins to melt and caramelize and get all crispy and chewy and melty and remarkable.

Tortillas have somehow made their way to the griddle while you were contemplating the miracle of the cheese and, after another blur of spatulas, the egg mixture is soon resting on top of the magical cheese.

One last blur of spatulas and the migas are now on the warm tortillas. A helper - with no spatula hands - slaps the tacos into squares of foil then into plastic trays and slides them to you over the bar and while shouting your number.

The next step is up to you and this is a very, very important step dear eater: ladle the vinegary cilantro/pepper chimmicurri salsa on to the migas (this, I believe, is the second most important part of Maria's migas) then tote them to the deck overlooking South Lamar and bask in the knowledge that when you are alive and healthy and enjoying migas tacos in South Austin, America everything will be all right with the world...

Almost ate my TV during DDD and now I almost ate my computer reading your post.:eat::eat::eat::eat::eat::eat::eat::eat:

z-tejas serves pretty good chow, although it would be hard to call it Mexican. More like Southwest in my opinion. What's with having order chips and salsa separately?

Assuming your referring to Chuy's, they bring out a couple flavors of red salsa
with your chips, but the green stuff is the bomb, they won't bring that unless
you ask for it. The chips and salsa are free no matter which you choose.

I went to Juan in a Million for breakfast after seeing it on Man vs Food and it was real good. Pretty popular and had a line on a Sunday morning. Worth the trip.

What restaurant serves the Best mexican in Austin? Anyone been to "Jaun in a Million", if so any good? Any suggestions appreciated! We'll be traveling thru on the 15th and lodging for the night! Thanks

Back