• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

MexTrek: May 27-30, 2010, Galeana, Mexico

Galeana is at about 5000 ft elevation. Most of the mountains passes are 7000 ft or less. The highest point is Mt Potossi at 12300 ft, but a specific trip is required to get to the top (worth doing for the great views).

I've haven't had anyone that has attended MexTrek tell me they had to rejet or should have rejetted. I've personally ridden a KLR and a DRZ there without rejetting either bike and have had no issues.

Just clean the air filter.

Forget jetting.

Think clean air filter.

We were at and above 9,000 feet at Cloudcroft a little over a week ago and the KLR ran fine. And that's with an air filter that hadn't been cleaned since I bought it. I took it out to check it and it was black like a chimney.

Needless to say when I gave it the once-over the KLR sounded better than new.

If you're going to TDF and you're talking the Peruvian Highlands than you can talk jetting.

Hi Richard.....

All broken bones are mended.....Injured KLR back in shape...Registration in the mail.
Looking to see you guys in McAllen Thursday AM unless there is a group going down on Wed AM that would not mind an old man tagging along.

Don.......

Good to hear that you're better and riding.

From one old man to another - I am going to be in McAllen Tuesday night and would like to cross Wed AM. Want to get in to Galeana before HH. Some others going to cross in the afternoon, I'd rather leave earlier than later.

Galeana is at about 5000 ft elevation. Most of the mountains passes are 7000 ft or less. The highest point is Mt Potossi at 12300 ft, but a specific trip is required to get to the top (worth doing for the great views).

I've haven't had anyone that has attended MexTrek tell me they had to rejet or should have rejetted. I've personally ridden a KLR and a DRZ there without rejetting either bike and have had no issues.

My XR650L actually ran poorly at some of the highest elevations... but it was probably due to a dirty air filter and jetted for sea level. I also believe that the XR600 seat that I had on it was designed differently and didnt allow as much air into the airbox as the 650L specific seat.

My XR400 ran poorly for a bit until I realized that some open cell foam that I put where the snorkel was was actually causing it to run poorly as well. I removed that and it ran like a scalded ape. And because I took the seat and luggage off to do that fix, I now need a new set of dirt bagz...(forgot to latch it down).:doh:

Hi Scott.........

My KLR is pretty also, I no longer have the 950 KTM, it was a great road bike but when it was new I rode it to Silverton to a HU meeting and while there it embarrased me by locking up (hydralock), cleared that up but from then on it was like a woman that cheated on you, no matter how good, you just never trust her again.
I need to upgrade my avatar with my new KTM 530 EXC, it has aproblem also every time I grab the throttle the front wheel wants to come up. I'll give it the break in peroid and decide what to take to Mexico.At least I can pick this one up.
Looking farward to riding with you

Don............

Re: Just clean the air filter.

Clean air filter.............check.
Extra clean air filter.....check.
Valves adjusted..........check.
New tires...................check.
I'm ready.....let's roll!

Actually my #1 recommended bike prep tip for Mexico is a new battery.

Battery problems I have seen more than any other issue in Mexico and that includes flat tires.

Speaking of flat tires congrats on new tires which solves the #2 all-time issue I have seen in Mexico.

There is a caveat in that, excepting the MexTrek crowd, I would estimate that fully half the new riders in Mexico have never practiced fixing a flat on their own motorcycle. They might carry the gear, plugs, strings etc. but they don't know how to use it much less remove a wheel if necessary.

MexTrekkers, being a dual-sport crowd, has a higher percentage of experienced tire handlers but even in this crowd there are riders who have never dealt with their own tire problems and will be depending upon a riding buddy.

Whether it be the GS or the KLR I put a new battery in each bike each year for Mexico no matter what and I constantly practice tire repair for both bikes.

In fact I have a tire repair stand I'm willing to give to the first person who shows up in my driveway because I'd rather practice on the ground with spoons just like the real deal.

And congrats on the minty-fresh air cleaner.

Battery problems I have seen more than any other issue in Mexico and that includes flat tires.

Our Pakistani dual sport brother (Solorider) had a battery problem in October. Didn't you finally retro fit a battery into the KLR after exploring battery shops of several different towns???

Yep, battery died. I think it's the heat that kills the batteries combined with the vibes.
I still have the battery from Mextrek 2009 in the bike!

If anyone needs parts, there is a Honda shop in Lenaris. As you enter town you'll see the sign, can't miss it. And they take visa/mastercard! :lol2:

Our Pakistani dual sport brother (Solorider) had a battery problem in October. Didn't you finally retro fit a battery into the KLR after exploring battery shops of several different towns???

If anyone needs parts, there is a Honda shop in Lenaris Linares. As you enter town you'll see the sign, can't miss it. And they take visa/mastercard! :lol2:

And you made a new friend with the owner of Galeana's La Casona del General (the General's house) in the deal as well.

Sure did! We can barely communicate but I spent a lot of time with him. The friday I got sick I stopped by there and have gave made me a drink with lime to keep me from hurling!

I also learnt Galeana is almost famous for Spelunking, mountain climbing/cave diving, etc. so much so that people from other countries hold tournaments there. Hmmm, that might be better than trying to get across the Rio Grande at BigBend!

And you made a new friend with the owner of Galeana's La Casona del General (the General's house) in the deal as well.

MexTrekkers, being a dual-sport crowd, has a higher percentage of experienced tire handlers but even in this crowd there are riders who have never dealt with their own tire problems and will be depending upon a riding buddy.

I've never had to fix a flat in the field but I practice doing it at home with spoons so if I ever need to do it in the field, it won't be my first time. That said, I've helped 2 other riders with their flats since I had all the tools and air compressor with me. :mrgreen:

I've seen 4 spoons work better than 2, so I carry 4 with me.
The only issue I foresee sometimes is getting the bead to break. Last time I had to roll my truck over a 4x4 resting on the tire to break the bead!

I've never had to fix a flat in the field but I practice doing it at home with spoons so if I ever need to do it in the field, it won't be my first time. That said, I've helped 2 other riders with their flats since I had all the tools and air compressor with me. :mrgreen:

Speaking of flat tires congrats on new tires which solves the #2 all-time issue I have seen in Mexico.

There is a caveat in that, excepting the MexTrek crowd, I would estimate that fully half the new riders in Mexico have never practiced fixing a flat on their own motorcycle. They might carry the gear, plugs, strings etc. but they don't know how to use it much less remove a wheel if necessary.

Whether it be the GS or the KLR I put a new battery in each bike each year for Mexico no matter what and I constantly practice tire repair for both bikes.

In fact I have a tire repair stand I'm willing to give to the first person who shows up in my driveway because I'd rather practice on the ground with spoons just like the real deal.

And congrats on the minty-fresh air cleaner.

New battery...........check.
And I can fix just about anything that breaks on my bike. Been doin it for over 45 years. In November last year,up in Arkansas, I changed a rear tybe on the 525 in less than 30 minutes. Aint no record,but I wasn't in a hurry.

:tab Having a few hefty guys around helps with breaking the bead ;-) I am not one of those guys though :-P Several times I have had the rear time simply come off the bead when it went flat, so breaking the bead was a non issue. My only issue with tire repairs is that I am not real good at getting the tire back over the rim without pinching the tube :doh: I've tried all the tricks I've been told about, but I just seem to lack that special touch. I can do it, but I've also pinched quite a few :argh: I carry at least three levers, several tubes, patches, and a compressor. Richard had a nice cheap table cloth to lay out on the ground to work on. That was nice and I had never thought of it.

My trick about not pinching is just blow slight bit of air (by mouth) into the tube before packing it into the tire.

I don't think I'm going to try taking the bike for a ride without any air pressure to get the tire off the rim:eek2: I think it could also be the make of the tire that really sticks to the rim hopefully the cheap Kenda isn't one of those!
Next tire is going to be Dunlop 606 tho.

:tab Having a few hefty guys around helps with breaking the bead ;-) I am not one of those guys though :-P Several times I have had the rear time simply come off the bead when it went flat, so breaking the bead was a non issue. My only issue with tire repairs is that I am not real good at getting the tire back over the rim without pinching the tube :doh: I've tried all the tricks I've been told about, but I just seem to lack that special touch. I can do it, but I've also pinched quite a few :argh: I carry at least three levers, several tubes, patches, and a compressor. Richard had a nice cheap table cloth to lay out on the ground to work on. That was nice and I had never thought of it.

The best method I know of for breaking the bead out in the field is "my buddy's kickstand". After you pull the tire off your bike, position the tire on the ground beneath the kickstand of your buddy's bike, lever the bike up on the kickstand, and the pressure exerted by the kickstand will break the bead.

Last edited:
Just got my TVIP at the consulate today. The lady looked at me and said "this is a nice bike?" I replied that it was okay. Then she gave me a nasty look and said "you arent going alone, right?" I interpreted 'the look' as in "cause my boyfriend is gonna steal your bike, essay"

....well maybe it wasnt that bad, but it was funny.

The best method I know of for breaking the bead out in the field is "my buddy's kickstand". After you pull the tire off your bike, position the tire on the ground beneath the kickstand of your buddy's bike, lever the bike up on the kickstand, and the the pressure exerted by the kickstand will break the bead.

Yep, that is by far the easiest way to break them!

Just got my TVIP at the consulate today. The lady looked at me and said "this is a nice bike?" I replied that it was okay. Then she gave me a nasty look and said "you arent going alone, right?" I interpreted 'the look' as in "cause my boyfriend is gonna steal your bike, essay"

....well maybe it wasnt that bad, but it was funny.

Hah. At least you got your permit... I got kicked out last year because I walked through the security point with my pocket knife... they told me not to come back until the next day. I just got the TVIP at the border... You have to go there anyways to get your tourist visa...

Hey TerraXpeditions,

What sprocket ratio did you run on your XR650L when you went to Mexico?

I have a 45T rear and 14T and 15T front. I was planning on running the 15T on the ride to Galeana but was thinking about switching out to the 14T for all the day rides.

Thoughts?
ear.gif

Reynosa Getaway

I think this is the quickest fastest Get-ur-papers-and-Get-tha-puck-outathere route thru Reynosa,
if you are crossing at the McAllen (Hidalgo)-Reynosa bridge, that is.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

This route avoids fumbling thru confusing downtown Reynosa.

After crossing the bridge and passing the Mexican customs exactly where the bridge ends, you may not even realize this is Mexican customs, you may (or may not) be stopped for a very cursory "inspection", after this watch for the blue CIITEV (Car Permits) sign. The building is on the Rio Grande river, to the left of the bridge as you cross into Mexico. Or just remember to turn left at the plaza area (do not ride straight thru the plaza, turn left before it).

866600377_UUbNp-X3.jpg

I always get my Tourist "card" papers at the CIITEV building (also where you'll get your vehicle permit if you haven't already done so). It's huge, has lots of parking with security attendants, and just seems less confusing and intimidating than the Mexican customs right at the bridge.

This is the route after the CIITEV building.
866598962_vt48P-X3.jpg

The route will probably be signed for Matamoros at first.
I know this is confusing but soon you will given the choice of Monterrey or Matamoros, where you choose Monterrey.

After you clear all vestiges of Reynosa, Hwy 40 splits into Monterrey Cuota (toll) or Monterrey Libre (free). I recommend the cuota. Do your sight seeing and cultural exchange further inland.

I have not gone that way, but it does look less congested than following the signs toward Monterrey.

This is the new Anzalduas Bridge that opened in December. I want to try this early Wednesday morning. I believe the access road to HWY40 is complete, but if not a little zigzag as shown on the map might be necessary.

:rider:

:giveup:
Where do you get papers?

(You're gonna have to teach me how to do that with your maps.):clap:

Back