• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

MexTrek: May 27-30, 2010, Galeana, Mexico

New tires installed.
Oil changed.
New battery getting installed today.
Brake fluid changed.
New spark plug installed.
2 extra spark plugs with cases acquired.
Extra cables and levers acquired.
Full 360 inspection.

Paul at Zabor's told me yesterday that my bike is in mint condition and ready to roll.

New weekend I'm going to load up the bike with everything on it and take it out for a test ride in the hill country and see how it feels and ensure I've balanced and secured everything.
Counting the days!! :rider:

:thumb::thumb:

This is the type of rider I would take with me to Mexico without hesitation.

This is also the type of adventurer who I would take with me back to Honduras or Argentina, or anywhere else for that matter.

Hats off to you for doing the correct pre-ride prep :clap:

:thumb::thumb:

This is the type of rider I would take with me to Mexico without hesitation.

This is also the type of adventurer who I would take with me back to Honduras or Argentina, or anywhere else for that matter.

Hats off to you for doing the correct pre-ride prep :clap:
Thanks!! :chug:

I want to be riding and not fixing the bike. I figure it's better to spend the extra money now then to be in a situation that ends up holding everyone else up because I was just trying to save a few dollars. Hopefully I won't need any of the extras but if I do, I've got them and some competent riders that can help me get it on right. 8-)

Every time I read another ride report and see pics like this, I can't wait to get on the road!!

411813146_ugmJP-L.jpg

411813190_vHHWe-L.jpg

411813246_sEayw-L.jpg

So, after studying Milton and Richards smugmug pages (thanks for keeping them public guys) we have decided to run down this route.

This way we get to run the best 35 mile stretch of the Portrero Redondo route and the total distance from the border is only 236 miles compared to 188 miles for this traditional run.

Nadeem (Solorider), Tom (Tjrockit), and I will be crossing Wednesday morning early, if anyone else wants to join us be at the Motel 6 early and ready.
:rider:

Excelente, John! Muchos cojones, I love it.

Be warned it will probably take what, 2 hours? to run Cola de Caballo to P. Redondo and then down to hwy at Allende. With no stops, that is. Hey, if you have time, hike down to the Chipitin falls from PR, (another 2 hours, RT, no MX boots).
Spend the night in Santiago and get to Galeana Thru AM. :trust:
Or, spend the night in Montemorelos.

The possibilities are endless.

New tires installed. Oil changed. New battery getting installed today. Brake fluid changed. New spark plug installed. 2 extra spark plugs with cases acquired. Extra cables and levers acquired. Full 360 inspection. Paul at Zabor's told me yesterday that my bike is in mint condition and ready to roll.
I washed my bike yesterday.:trust:

Milton ,is your hand guard still hanging? :eek2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
Hi Don :wave:

Yep, .........well no, not actually. But it's, uhh, attached with one bolt only. I noticed that last night.
Hummmmmmmm :ponder:

I might try to sneak my bike into Bill Kasson's this week,

I read through most of this thread again and had a general question.

What over the counter meds would you recommend taking along.

I think the obvious ones are Pepto Bismol, Advil/Tylenol, Benadryl.

I've heard rumors that there are good natural meds you can take that help with food digestion etc.

Any recommendations? - thanks!! :eat:

Forgive me if this info has already been posting.

FYI, I just returned home from the Mexican consulate in San Antonio and they DO NOT process vehicle permits, only the consulates in Dallas, Austin and Houston.

What is the turn around for getting one online?

Don't risk it.
I had my permit 4 days after I filled out the online form and paid for it, after they delivered the permit, I had to scan my passport, registration, signed letter of agreement and drivers license and email the images to them so they could match the webform and payment. If there is a problem with the documents, you're screwed.
This late, you're better off getting the permit at the border.

FYI, I just returned home from the Mexican consulate in San Antonio and they DO NOT process vehicle permits, only the consulates in Dallas, Austin and Houston.

Don't risk it.
I had my permit 4 days after I filled out the online form and paid for it, after they delivered the permit, I had to scan my passport, registration, signed letter of agreement and drivers license and email the images to them so they could match the webform and payment. If there is a problem with the documents, you're screwed.
This late, you're better off getting the permit at the border.

Or take a ride to Austin, but our Consulate used to only offer permits till 1PM!
Call?

I read through most of this thread again and had a general question.

What over the counter meds would you recommend taking along.

I think the obvious ones are Pepto Bismol, Advil/Tylenol, Benadryl.

I've heard rumors that there are good natural meds you can take that help with food digestion etc.

Any recommendations? - thanks!! :eat:

It's just like any other moto trip - what meds do you take on those? Take the same ones with you.

No need to pre-medicate with Pepto, although I've heard of that technique. Cipro is widely available in Mexico and certainly available in Galeana. Its sold at the farmacia right there on the corner across from the zocalo.

Benadryl is handy if you are subject to reactions from insect bites. Not a Mexico thing per se, just a travel anywhere tip.

All those meds you listed are available at the farmacia and virtually all common prescription medications including class III controlled are available via a short/inexpensive doctor visit in Galeana.

The most it's taken me to have it delivered to my door has been 3 days.

That said, to avoid a last-minute snafu, as JT suggested, just ride up to Austin and stop in the AM to get one at the consulate.

Then, have lunch at the Mellow Mushroom on Guadalupe and on the way home stop at Mellow Johnny's bike shop and say hi to Lance for me.

I have changed my mind about going to Mexico at this time. :headbang:

Looking forward to some great rides reports with lots of pics of what I missed.

Canceled hotel reservations

Bill:rider:

Hey Milton,
I met you out at Harry Miller's place a few years ago. I was on the XR650. I'm seriously thinking about doing this trip. Wonder if the 950 would be too big?
Me encanta Mexico!
jim

Jim,

A 950 (if you mean a KTM 950 Adventure) will be great for this trip. There is an abundance of class 2 roads in the area that a 950 would excel on.

Back