• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

MexTrek: May 27-30, 2010, Galeana, Mexico

Hey Richard,

Since the group I am riding with is crossing Weds morning is it going to be a problem to get the T-shirts from you in Galeana or should we try to get them from you when you get back? I don't want you to have to carry anything you don't have to.

Thanks

I'm handing t-shirts out in McAllen on Wednesday night to any riders who are there. The rest of the shirts are going to Galeana with my group and will passed out there.

Which brings up an important point for everyone - you've got to make it to Galeana (or McAllen on Wednesday) to get your shirt. I generally don't mail shirts to those who sign up but end up not attending. The shirts of those who don't show up are mostly donated to the local businesses and police there in Galeana.

Speaking of the police in Galeana, if you've got a newish, cool moto t-shirt you are willing to part with, you might bring it with you and donate it to the local police. They've been very friendly and tolerant of us in past years and a donation would probably be well received.

:tab And that might easily be related to what I was talking about where credit card companies monitor purchases and block suspicious ones. For someone that has never been out of the country, I could see theirs not working. For someone that has been out of the country, I could see theirs working fine. The best thing to do is call YOUR specific company and make sure ahead of time so you are not sitting there with a useless card when you need it most ;-)

Yep. Of course I called the bank and let them know I was traveling to Mexico. Same bank and same circumstances involved with previous travels to Mexico, Costa Rica, and Nicaragua. Chase, by the way.

Another random question.

Laundry: Are there facilities at the hotel to do wash? I packing as if I'm going to be doing any wash but if I play in the mud one day, it might be nice to clean my stuff. :flip:

I haven't seen any laundry facilities at the hotel that we can use.

I'd bet that for a few pesos you could get the hotel staff to do some laundry for you. I'm planning on trying that next week.

Another random question.

Laundry: Are there facilities at the hotel to do wash? I packing as if I'm going to be doing any wash but if I play in the mud one day, it might be nice to clean my stuff. :flip:
Just do one of the water routes... and bam, you can even select drip dry or air dry, your choice.
Mextrek2009229.jpg

So Scott, are you taking the 4runner down there?

Nope. Not this time. Doing some offroad recon for DFW to Palo Duro Canyon. One leg of a Central Overland Route. Next is PDC to Big Bend. BB to Copper Canyon. CC to Galeana. Galeana to the Texas Hill Country. THC to DFW.:trust:

I'm ready for Galeana, did 84 hrs. at work in 5 days, everything a daze...........this is 1969 right??

Doing a test ride today to see how the weight of the bike feels on the dirt and street as well as hitting some rough dirt to see how well the luggage stays on and how well I can handle the bike.

2010-MexTrek001.jpg

Will also be testing my GPS. :lol2:

2010-MexTrek002.jpg

I got Exchange rate for Pesos as .08206000 from Chase, are they trying to screw me? :argh:

Bike rode fine. I definitely feel the extra weight and the occasional bag hitting me in the bottom when I'm going over drop off's. All the bags stayed put with no weight shifting.

I think if I just ride in my comfort zone it is going to be an excellent trip. :chug:

I got Exchange rate for Pesos as .08206000 from Chase, are they trying to screw me? :argh:

US banks give the worst exchange rates. There are few exchange houses on the US side just before the border crossing in Mc Allen that last year were giving about 12 to 13 pesos to the US dollar.

Today's posted bank rate is .076 which yields this: 100 US dollars will give you 1,315 pesos, 1 buck gets you just over 13 pesos

Your Chase Bank rate of .082: 100 US dollars will give you 1,219 pesos

1 buck gets you just over 12 pesos

Shop around!

We are in Galeana!

Milton and I arrived in Galeana at 9:30 this evening. We rolled out of Austin at 7 a.m. and the only safety issue we had all day was Milton almost hitting a burro that was standing in the middle of the road around a blind curve at night.

Absolutely no issues in Reynosa or the ride over.

We crossed at the new Anzalduas Bridge that John Thompson posted about. It is the way to go. No traffic in, and you get to bypass downtown Reynosa and its traffic. You can do all your paperwork there (tourist and vehicle). Get your money exchanged before crossing over as there are no businesses on either side of this crossing.

Last edited:
We are in Galeana!

Milton and I arrived in Galeana at 9:30 this evening. We rolled out of Austin at 7 a.m. and the only safety issue we had all day was Milton almost hitting a burro that was standing in the middle of the road around a blind curve at night.

Absolutely no issues in Reynosa or the ride over.

We crossed at the new Anzalduas Bridge that John Thompson posted about. It is the way to go. No traffic in, and you get to bypass downtown Reynosa and its traffic. You can do all your paperwork there (tourist and vehicle). Get your money exchanged before crossing over as there are no businesses on either side of this crossing.

Great! :clap:
For anybody trying the new Anzalduas bridge, according to this wepage, its only open from 6AM to 10PM. Anzalduas
Tjrockit, Solorider and I will be crossing there Wednesday morning.
John

Today's posted bank rate is .076 which yields this: 100 US dollars will give you 1,315 pesos, 1 buck gets you just over 13 pesos

Your Chase Bank rate of .082: 100 US dollars will give you 1,219 pesos

1 buck gets you just over 12 pesos

Shop around!
Hummmmmmmmmm. Looks like we got the Chase rate. Aw well.

Galeana awaits you

We are in Galeana!

The first two hours south of Reynosa were insufferably hot. More and more mind numbing straight slab revealed at the crest of each hill. When will this end?

Finally the mountains, but the skies are white hot. And hazy. With what? Smoke? Is it burning season in Mexico again?

Loving the twistys between Linares and Galeana. Ears popping, the air cools at last as we leave the blistering coastal plane behind. The Santa Rosa canyon is just as stupendous as ever. The air clears. Cliffs loom above at jagged angles. Traffic light. This is fantastic! I´m working the curves as best I can but Rich behind is much faster than I. The day slowly ends, and now its night. Around a curve a burro nonchalantly ambles across the road dead ahead. Oh heck. This is gonna mess up our trip. Well, at least I judge my speed to be non-lethal. Rear wheel locked up I point to the left as the burro ambles right, clearing his rear by 12 inches. Hee hee, I giggle. Now that was a pucker moment.

Rich takes the lead the rest of the way into Galeana. He´s looking good on the Husky. I struggle to keep up. Don´t leave me Rich!

Great! :clap:
For anybody trying the new Anzalduas bridge, according to this wepage, its only open from 6AM to 10PM. Anzalduas
Tjrockit, Solorider and I will be crossing there Wednesday morning.
John
We found the bridge easy. Easy considering I was headed for the Hidalgo bridge and missed the turn. I worried there would be no Money Exchange. Its a slick new bridge. Navigation is a non-issue. CIITEV building is large, modern and brand spanking new. This is the new Mexico, bilingual signs. No wait lines. We´ve come a long way from the sweaty Aduana building across from the train station in Nuevo Laredo, where the wait could be hours. Once tourist cards were obtained the road seems to back-track slightly into Reynosa but basically you´ve bypassed 90% of it. Pemex stations available on your way to Monterrey Hwy 40. Even a Casa de Cambio, but look sharp. Its on the left near the 1st Pemex station on the left. I didn´t see another one.

We B here

Hope I'm not teasing you guys toooo much. :trust:

Rich patiently waits in the hot sun for me to organize my stuff. Motel 6 back lot, McAllen.
875885243_iZs2F-M.jpg

Life goes on in Mexico. One of the plazas in Montemorelos.
875885518_Roujz-L.jpg

Lunch time
875885743_4AwwB-L.jpg

Local natives
875885985_9tDkG-L.jpg

Hotel Jardin, Galeana
875896644_G6ean-L.jpg

Galeana plaza
875886800_oMoWX-L.jpg

Galeana awaits your arrival!
875896729_8kFss-L.jpg

:eat:Plan on being in McAllen around 4pm Wednesday. Laving Motel around 6 for paper work, speak very little Spanish but could help those who speak none. Hope there is still some going in Thursday morning that knows how to get to Galena??

Re: We B here

Hi Milton.......
Watch out for the burros, I feel like it won't be a problem but would you secure a room for me? Either hotel will be fine.
I'll be arriving Wednesday afternoon and leaving Sunday.
Thanks in advance.
Don Gil

Don
Maybe I missed out on all the post are most leaving Wednesday morning?
We road down in smae pack 2008. That is if you are the same Don that keep me from being the oldest rider.
Ronnie (HP2)

Back