• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

MexTrek: May 27-30, 2010, Galeana, Mexico

I am still meeting on thurs morn to ride with those who are there. Hopefully there are still a few!

Richard is planning on being at McAllen on Wednesday night for the ride down Thursday morning. At least that´s the plan. I guess I´ll be there if he can´t.

Ummm. At the moment there is a potential problem with Rich´s bike regarding clutch and or clutch cable. We´ll be looking into it tomorrow. We be in Santa Engracia tonight. Made the ride from Zaragoza to Snta Engracia, about 9 hrs. Rich´s comment, ¨I ain´t ever doing that route again.¨

Richard is planning on being at McAllen on Wednesday night for the ride down Thursday morning. At least that´s the plan. I guess I´ll be there if he can´t.

Ummm. At the moment there is a potential problem with Rich´s bike regarding clutch and or clutch cable. We´ll be looking into it tomorrow. We be in Santa Engracia tonight. Made the ride from Zaragoza to Snta Engracia, about 9 hrs. Rich´s comment, ¨I ain´t ever doing that route again.¨

Let me know if you guys need any parts brought down. We're leaving Austin Wednesday morning and will be driving straight through to Galeana.

Don
Maybe I missed out on all the post are most leaving Wednesday morning?

A number of riders are making the trek to Galeana on Wednesday, but the convoy is still on for Thursday morning for anyone who wants. Either Milton or I will be at the Motel 6 in McAllen on Wednesday evening and leading the group to Galeana on Thursday morning.

Let me know if you guys need any parts brought down. We're leaving Austin Wednesday morning and will be driving straight through to Galeana.
Thanks for the offer Scott. We´ll keep you in mind.

What are the evening temps looking like for Galeana. I was trying to decide on how heavy a jacket I needed for walking around in the evenings or if I needed one at all.

Thanks for the info on the bridge and all paperwork availability. It helped us with some of our decisions.

Can't wait to get there!! :dude:

The weather in Galeana was hot during the day (85 or higher) and pleasant in the early evening (70 or so). I hung out on the plaza Saturday evening for about an hour in shorts and t'shirt and was fine. By morning the temps fall to mid 60s. When we left yesterday morning from Galeana I wore a t'shirt and my mesh jacket. It was cool but not too cool that I really needed another layer. At most you might need a light jacket.

I think I have the bike fixed. The clutch is working again (cable issues sorted out). Hopefully it will continue to work (fingers crossed). Got the headlight to working again (loose ground wire). That dang road Milton took me on darn near beat me and the bike to death. Seventy miles of despair and anguish. Never again. Or, at least never again until the memory fades enough that I don´t remember just how ugly it was.

Headed out now for Tula and points south.

I got Exchange rate for Pesos as .08206000 from Chase, are they trying to screw me? :argh:

Not as much as trhe currency exchange kiosk in a mall here in Dallas - they give 11.4xxx pesos to the dollar, AND they get 2% commission.

our rate comes to 12.18 pesos/& if my math is right. Official published exchange is 13.something, but I don't know how that translates to a cambio rate. Trice should know.

Doing a test ride today to see how the weight of the bike feels on the dirt and street as well as hitting some rough dirt to see how well the luggage stays on and how well I can handle the bike.

2010-MexTrek001.jpg

:eek2: Tom aren't you staying in a Hotel for cryin out loud? Where's the kitchen sink? :lol2:

Not as much as trhe currency exchange kiosk in a mall here in Dallas - they give 11.4xxx pesos to the dollar, AND they get 2% commission.

our rate comes to 12.18 pesos/& if my math is right. Official published exchange is 13.something, but I don't know how that translates to a cambio rate. Trice should know.

Poor typing - Your quoted rate is 12.18 pesos/$, not &. And I reading down farther I see Trice is on it.

Milton/Richard - looks like you trailered the bikes to McAllen. Where did you park your trailer?

:eek2: Tom aren't you staying in a Hotel for cryin out loud? Where's the kitchen sink? :lol2:

:moon: :thpt: :shame:

In the event that someone breaks down in the middle of nowhere and it starts to rain and a fire fight breaks out between the drug cartels, I should have just the right amount of stuff to get me through the wilderness for a few days. :trust:

Re: Galeana awaits you

The first two hours south of Reynosa were insufferably hot. More and more mind numbing straight slab revealed at the crest of each hill. When will this end?

Finally the mountains, but the skies are white hot. And hazy. With what? Smoke? Is it burning season in Mexico again?

Loving the twistys between Linares and Galeana. Ears popping, the air cools at last as we leave the blistering coastal plane behind. The Santa Rosa canyon is just as stupendous as ever. The air clears. Cliffs loom above at jagged angles. Traffic light. This is fantastic! I´m working the curves as best I can but Rich behind is much faster than I. The day slowly ends, and now its night. Around a curve a burro nonchalantly ambles across the road dead ahead. Oh heck. This is gonna mess up our trip. Well, at least I judge my speed to be non-lethal. Rear wheel locked up I point to the left as the burro ambles right, clearing his rear by 12 inches. Hee hee, I giggle. Now that was a pucker moment.

Rich takes the lead the rest of the way into Galeana. He´s looking good on the Husky. I struggle to keep up. Don´t leave me Rich!

Hey Meeltone,
I'm headed down from San Angelo; might do a loop to Sierra Maderas del Carmen just below Big Bend-wish I had someone to ride that loop with but I make good time alone. Cross fingers for no flats and decent barrel gas.
Should be rolling in Thurs. evening.
Hasta jueves!
Jimmy

Richard (or anyone that knows the answer),

You mentioned that with registration that we have access to gps files, how can I obtain those. REI had a sale I couldnt pass up on a garmin 60csx for 199.00. I am frantically trying to figure the thing out.

I have a room Wednesday night at Motel 6 and hope to go across on Wednesday afternoon to get my tourist card with a group or at least one other person, rather not go by myself.

Then I'll be ready to head south at 8a on Thursday.

I have a room Wednesday night at Motel 6 and hope to go across on Wednesday afternoon to get my tourist card with a group or at least one other person, rather not go by myself.

Then I'll be ready to head south at 8a on Thursday.

If needed I should be at Motel 6 around 4pm and plan on leaving around 6pm to take care of paper work. Hope the group heads out early to beat the HEAT..but a am game for any time.:rider:
Ronnie (Blue/Gray BMW Hp2)

If needed I should be at Motel 6 around 4pm and plan on leaving around 6pm to take care of paper work. Hope the group heads out early to beat the HEAT..but a am game for any time.:rider:
Ronnie (Blue/Gray BMW Hp2)

I will also be at Motel 6 on Wednesday afternoon and looking for some knowledgable folks to help me with obtaining border crossing paperwork, money exchange, etc on Wednesday late afternoon or early evening so I can cross with the group on Thursday morning. Is there anyone left who will be crossing Thursday morning or has everyone decided to go to Galeana early to get an extra day or two of riding in? This will be my first time crossing the border with a motorcycle and I'm not too sure of the route to Galeana. I understand there is a new bridge crossing at Reynosa and that is now the way to go. I hope someone is at Motel 6 Thursday morning to lead us "noobies" through the maze and on to Galeana.

I'm really looking forward to this trip. I've read the MexTrek guide at least a dozen times and can't wait to hit the trails.

I still have a trailer space for a bike and rider (OK the rider can ride inside the van) from San Antonio to McAllen if anyone wants to hitch a ride vs slabbing it all the way to McAllen. I plan on leaving SA around 0800 Wednesday morning.

Bill Payne
(210) 521-1580
bpayne13@aol.com

Double checked the weight of my luggage tonight and was relieved that I am only carrying about 50 lbs of extra gear and stuff. :thumb:

Is there anyone left who will be crossing Thursday...[/email]

Bill,

Richard and/or I will be leading the group on Thursday morning from McAllen to Galeana.

I don't know who all will be there on Thursday morning but I'm expecting there to be several of us. But one or 20, we will be there.

Rich and I left early to do some exploring down south but we are planning on arriving back in McAllen on Wednesday afternoon.

See you there.

Back