• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Vacation to N.M., AZ., and Southern Utah

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vacation time arrived again, starting on Sunday May 9th.

This year's plan was to use our two weeks to see some of New Mexico, Eastern and Northern Arizona and Southern Utah. These were all new places for my wife Kathleen and I. Again we would be two up on the FJR.

Unlike last year when we shipped our bike to Portland to start our trip, this time the trip would start at home in Midlothian (South of Dallas).

For the first six nights we had reservations at hotels and a B&B. In other words, the weather better cooperate and we better not have any problems.
The reason for that was that we needed to make reservations approximately six months earlier if we wanted to stay on the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. After that we would find lodging as needed late in the afternoon (no problems there).

Goals for the trip were to connect as many squiggly lines on the map as possible on our way to Alamogordo, Silver City, Alpine, Jerome, South Rim, Mexican Hat, Bryce Canyon, Zion and Canyon De Chelly.

I'll try to make this report more picture heavy than word heavy, however there wasn't much to take pictures of on our way to the first nights stop in Artesia N.M.

Made it through West Texas and about to ride through Hobbs.

IMG_2200.jpg

Arteisa was kind of neat little town with a number of bronze scuptures around town paying homage to the past.

IMG_2219.jpg

IMG_2214.jpg

IMG_2205.jpg

And my favorite.

IMG_2210.jpg

We stayed at the Pecos Inn, Best Western. We spent most nights at Best Westerns along the way and found them to be nice, clean and decent value.

It was cool and pleasant most of the way but we hit about ten minutes of rain near Snyder TX. It was the most rain we would see on this trip. Nearer Artesia the winds picked up and the temp rose to 93.

By the way, I now understand why everyone says to trailer your bike to New Mexico. 486 straight miles.

Link to google maps.
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...3583176119480680152.0004875c36c79da2b4c90&z=7

Day two.

The goal for the day was to end up at a B&B near Silver City NM.

It was warm in the morning and the winds were already strong. The weather forecast called for winds out of the SW at 25 - 35 mph and gusts of 40 mph.

We headed West for Cloudcroft about 90 miles away on 82. What a nightmare that was. We hadn't ridden it that strong of substained winds before (only 38 years riding experience). Sometimes I had to hang off the side of the bike like it was a track day just to go straight. I swear if I had rearsets I might have drug a knee once or twice.

Finally we entered the Lincoln National Forest on the East side of Cloudcroft. Our first taste of twisty roads. We gained some protection from the wind and the cooler temps were nice too.

Do I look exhausted? I was, and it was only mid-morning.

IMG_2224.jpg

I didn't know how long it was going to take us to get to Silver City with the wind issues, so we didn't stop in Cloudcroft. The road was fun and the town looked like a nice place to spend some time. Mental note, try to come back sometime.

I believe Cloudcroft is at about 9000 ft. elevation.

We headed down the mountian for Alamogordo at the bottom. Very nice view with the White Sands visible in the distance.

We stopped at the New Mexico National Space Museum in Alamogordo and took in an IMAX movie on the repairs by the astronauts to the Hubble.

IMG_2230.jpg

IMG_2231.jpg

The IMAX just down the hill.

IMG_2232.jpg

Next stop, White Sands National Monument.

IMG_2240.jpg

Kathleen has a permanent pass to the national parks so we get into all the parks free. Whoo hoo!

IMG_2249.jpg

There was a road grater maintaining the roads the day we were there. It looked like a full time job.

IMG_2252.jpg

The dunes get pretty big.

IMG_2263.jpg

IMG_2255.jpg

A view from on top of the dune.

IMG_2264.jpg

Sand Angels?

IMG_2265.jpg

Its amazing what can grow out there.

IMG_2268.jpg

We took 70 West over San Agustin Pass on our way to Las Cruces. At Las Cruces we turned North on I-25. I hate the interstate but what are you going to do. Squiggly lines near Silver City were the 152, 35, 15 loop so thats where we were headed. The winds were beating us up pretty bad as we went northbound on I-25. We got off early at Hatch. Little did we know we stumbled across the Chile capitol of the world. They had both kinds too, Red and Green.

26 west out of Hatch and then 27 north. As 27 got closer to 152 it produced some great sweeping turns and nice views.

We turned west on 152. I LOVE this road!!! It was like a 20 - 30 minute roller coaster up, over, through and around a mountain in the Gila National Forest. Mostly 2nd and 3rd gear. Sorry, but I was having to much fun to take any pictures.

We turned north on 35 and 11 miles later we found our B&B. Pueblo on the Mimbres.

IMG_2278.jpg

Other than the wind it was a good day. 336 miles.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...d=113583176119480680152.0004875e29c53ca9913f3

Day three.

It was my first time to stay at a B&B. Our hostess Gabby was teriffic and our stay most plesant.

I had heard a lot about the 152, 35, 15 loop and yesterday on 152 was a highlight. We left on 35 towards 15. If we had turned right on 15 it would take us up to the Gila Hot Springs and Gila Cliff Dwellings National Monument where it dead ends. However we have many miles to go and not enough time so we turned left on 15 towards Silver City. 15 was a tight twisty road with no centerstripe going through the forest. Very scenic and ending down below in Silver City.

Passing by a lake on 35

IMG_2294.jpg

While getting gas in Silver City we met Ray and his two sons. They were on vacation from the Chicago area on their way to Yosmite. Every year they take a big trip. Ray was on a Ducati GT Classic and the boys on Buells. Its neat when a dad can do that with his kids.

Ray standing awfully close to Kathleen.

IMG_2301.jpg

We rode up 180 with them until we turned off on 78 near Mule Creek. We were both going to be riding the Devil's backbone (AZ 191). Them north to south and us south to north.

I wasn't expecting much from 78 as it enters Arizona but I was plesantly surprised. Very scenic with some fun twisties as it passes through the Apache Sitgreaves National Forest on its way down near Clifton.

Good pavement.

IMG_2309.jpg

Not the best picture but maybe a taste of the curves.

IMG_2310.jpg

View to the left.

IMG_2308.jpg

At 191 we turned north toward Clifton and Morenci (worlds largest open copper mine I'm told) to take on one of the best motorcycle roads in the U.S..

IMG_2316.jpg

IMG_2319.jpg

IMG_2320.jpg

IMG_2322.jpg

IMG_2323.jpg

191 is one heck of a road. As you climb out of Morenci you are on the edge of a mountain most of the time with zero room for error. Its hard to really have fun becuase you don't want to die over a little screw up. The more north you go its not so bad and a lot of fun.

Heres one of the safer corners leaving Morenci.

IMG_2328.jpg

Not to many pictures at this point, I was busy holding on.

As we headed towards Alpine it was starting to get higher and colder. I can't believe a we took out the liners out of our mesh gear near Morenci.

Gave a nice wave to Ray and his boys as we passed each other on 191

Took a break at Hannagan's Meadow for a bite to eat and put our liners back in.

IMG_2334.jpg

IMG_2332.jpg

Had a beautiful ride through Alpine on our way to Eagar where we turned west on 260.

Up until now things were going well. We were staying in Show Low approximately 50 miles away. The winds hadn't stopped but it hadn't been a problem until we turned west. Reports later had the gusts up 60 mph and I believe them. That was another long ride hanging off the bike and hoping the bike wasn't lifted off the road. I have since redefined what I think a windy day is.

Due to the wind, no more pictures for the day. 359 miles.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U....715202,-108.945923&spn=2.321092,4.213257&z=8

This is great so far, and looking forward to the rest. So far, I'm reliving our Trippin' Connies ride from last year, lots of the same roads. 152 is one sweet road. I liked 35 and 15 as well, they are definitely off the beaten path. I really enjoyed 78 running into AZ. 191 just speaks for itself. :rider:

Once again, looking forward to the rest.

Steve, great write-up and photos. Looking forward to the rest as we're reversing your trip at the end of June... North Rim, Zion, Bryce Canyon, Capitol Reef, Monument Valley.

This is great so far, and looking forward to the rest. So far, I'm reliving our Trippin' Connies ride from last year, lots of the same roads. 152 is one sweet road. I liked 35 and 15 as well, they are definitely off the beaten path. I really enjoyed 78 running into AZ. 191 just speaks for itself. :rider:

Once again, looking forward to the rest.

+1

A buddy of mine and I did a similar trip last year except we went to the North Rim and through Colorado instead of Zion and Bryce. We did it in a week and passed by some things that I wished we had more time to check out. 152 wasn't much fun for us in the pouring rain last year.

Going that direction again the first week of July hitting Zion, Bryce and Capitol Reef this trip.

Looking forward to the rest of your report

Ray standing awfully close to Kathleen.

IMG_2301.jpg

Not to worry. She had all her protective gear on. As did he. :lol2:

Looking forward to the rest of this.

Cloudcroft is a nice place, or it was many years ago when I stopped there on the way to Alamogordo. There used to be lots of little stands that sold wonderful cherry cider.

Day four.

The goal for the day was to reach Jerome where we had reservations at the world famous (allegedly haunted) Conner hotel.

We left Show Low to cooler temps and hopes that the winds would die down.

As we headed west on 260 enroute to Payson the FJR displayed temps down to 43 (not a lot of photos at this point). We were and would spend most of the days ride in higher elevations (like yesterday) and National Forest. I'd learned that there sure is a lot of Arizona that is not a desert or hot.

Obviously there had been a lot of fire damage in these parts in the last few years.

A view of the undisturbed forest and not what I used to picture when I thought of Arizona.

IMG_2342.jpg

IMG_2340.jpg

At Payson 260 joined 87 as we turned north.

Trying to leave Payson, somebody saw debris on the track and threw the yellow flag bunching us all up. :-)

IMG_2338.jpg

This was one of the few construction areas that cost us any time on the whole trip.

We left 260/87 for just 260 enroute to Camp Verde and Cottonwood. 260/87 had been fun with some big sweepers and a rise in elevation.

Once on 260 we started a decent to Camp Verde with big sweepers while the surrounding area dried out.

IMG_2348.jpg

In Cottonwood, we turned SW on 89A torwads Jerome. Jerome is built on a hill with litte room for expansion. There is only one way in and one way out and its going to be on a hill with plenty of switch backs. Just a short climb from Cottonwood but heading to Prescott you'll get 158 curves in 12 miles. Not the greatest pavement and it looked like some fine gravel in a few corners but my tires never lost grip.

Going down please.

IMG_2374.jpg

Climbing into Jerome.

IMG_2383.jpg

Just atop Jerome.

IMG_2375.jpg

IMG_2377.jpg

IMG_2381.jpg

Jerome is a tourist town that I liked and my wife loved.

The Conner Hotel with the Spirit Room on the bottom right corner.

IMG_2409.jpg

IMG_2385.jpg

We had a litte rain storm move through the area shortly after we got off the bike for the day.

IMG_2387.jpg

IMG_2397.jpg

Various stuctures in Jerome.

IMG_2411.jpg

IMG_2406.jpg

IMG_2395.jpg

IMG_2407.jpg

The last building on the right sticking out is the Haunted Hamburger. We had a couple of great burgers there for dinner.

IMG_2403.jpg

We arrived in Jerome about mid-afternoon. I had heard good things about 89A and 89 through Prescott so we thought we'd try them out.

In the Prescott Valley the terrain changed again. The rocks were now the focus.

IMG_2361.jpg

IMG_2362.jpg

IMG_2363.jpg

IMG_2356.jpg

My FAVORITE ROAD OF THE TRIP belongs to 89 just south of Prescott. Approximatly 14 miles enroute to Wilhoit. Prepare to use 2nd, 3rd and maybe 4th just a little, as you ride along the walls of a canyon that is almost as much fun as a track day. Finish one way then turn around and race, I mean ride back. Sorry, no pictures as I was having to much fun!

Back in Jerome with 276 miles completed and time to shop.

Google map link.
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...d=113583176119480680152.0004876e8b25b9d02e2d7

Day five.
(retry, just about had day five finished when my computer crashed)

We left Jerome with fond memories. Today would be a short mileage day up 89A through Sedona, then Flagstaff and ultimately the South Rim of the Grand Canyon.

A last look back at Jerome. Its more of a hill then appears in this picture.

IMG_2418.jpg

We were really looking forward seeing the Sedona area. Again the terrain changed with the rock becoming much more red.

IMG_2446.jpg

IMG_2449.jpg

We were hungry and ready for breakfast by the time we got into Sedona. Luckily we found the Coffee Cup restaurant on the main drag. The restaurant is named for the rock formation located just behind the building.

IMG_2440-1.jpg

Really, 101 omelettes?

IMG_2438-1.jpg

"24, no 32, no 96." This could take all morning.

IMG_2439.jpg

With our stomachs full we were ready to finish 89A. What a beautiful place to ride through.

IMG_2451.jpg

IMG_2453.jpg

IMG_2454.jpg

IMG_2456.jpg

IMG_2457.jpg

We'll be climbing out of the canyon just up ahead.

IMG_2459.jpg

A stop at the scenic area on top to see where we've been and buy some Indian made souvenirs.

IMG_2460.jpg

Part of the road out of the canyon we had just been on.

IMG_2468.jpg

89A is somewhere down there.

IMG_2463.jpg

IMG_2466.jpg

After a short burst of I-17 and through Flagstaff, we took 180 going around the San Francisco Mtns.

Still snow on Mt. Humphreys.

IMG_2479.jpg

A right turn onto 64 and the next stop is the Grand Canyon National Park.

Lane 3 getting into the parks always ROCKS! Okay, I just made that up.

IMG_2491.jpg

Checked into our room at the Yavapai Lodge and ready to see some of the sights. From Mather Point to Hermit's Rest. Due to time we couldn't make them all but me made a lot. I would recommend using the park's shuttle buses to get around. They really work well besides you can't take your own vehicle into all the viewing points. Heck its free.

Mather point I believe.

Looking right.

IMG_2521.jpg

Looking left.

IMG_2523.jpg

Looking straight ahead.

IMG_2525.jpg

I'll use some from my wife's camera. The date is correct but her midnight is off so the date changes somewhere during the day.

HL012649.jpg

HPIM2643.jpg

IMG_2516.jpg

Hermit's Rest.

IMG_2544.jpg

The Elk hadn't lost their winter coats yet.

IMG_2515.jpg

136 plesant miles for the day and quite the views.

Google maps link.
http://www.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...d=113583176119480680152.00048771deec726675f65

Day six.

This day we would only be riding to Tusayan (just outside the park) and back. About 16 miles round trip.

When we take a long trip I try to schedule a day off if there is anything interesting we can do. Seems like at the Grand Canyon there should be some way to spend the whole day? Who knows, we'll probably never be back so we better see all we can.

So at 6:00am we were at the Tusayan airport getting ready for a 50 minute flight over the Grand Canyon, touching down in Page AZ. 39 degrees at 6am. Sure was cold riding the bike to the airport in our tourist clothes.

IMG_2547.jpg

I'll mix Kathleen's and my pictures. I was seated looking into the sun and Kathleen was across the aisle with the sun on the canyon. We were seated in row 2 so you will see the prop in most of the photos.

our journey to Page.

HPIM2655.jpg

IMG_2550.jpg

IMG_2552.jpg

HPIM2675.jpg

HPIM2670.jpg

HPIM2668.jpg

HPIM2663.jpg

HPIM2661.jpg

IMG_2566.jpg

A stop sign might be nice.

HPIM2685.jpg

Powell Lake and the Glen Canyon Dam area.

The little blue things at the bottom of the picture are the inflatable boats we would be using for a 16 mile ride down Glen Canyon later that afternoon.

IMG_2592.jpg

Lake Powell.
HPIM2717.jpg

Page AZ.

IMG_2617.jpg

We next took a tour of Antelope Canyon just outside Page. Its a slot canyon and we had a great Navajo guide to walk us through.

IMG_2619.jpg

IMG_2620.jpg

Formed by erosion.

IMG_2624.jpg

Looking up.

IMG_2671.jpg

Do you see the heart?

IMG_2647.jpg

IMG_2692.jpg

HPIM2733.jpg

IMG_2652.jpg

Do you see the bear?

IMG_2683.jpg

And our great guide Leonard "Slow Horse."

IMG_2685.jpg

And if you order in the next 20 minutes, we'll throw in this cruise down Glen Canyon at no extra charge!!!

IMG_2699.jpg

IMG_2700.jpg

IMG_2705.jpg

Dinner will not be served on the Ledo deck today.

IMG_2713.jpg

IMG_2728.jpg

IMG_2748.jpg

IMG_2772.jpg

IMG_2774.jpg

IMG_2745.jpg

IMG_2770.jpg

IMG_2784.jpg

IMG_2806.jpg

And with that we exited the river at Lee's Ferry. A bus ride back to the airport and our tour was complete. Great day and a great way to see the Grand Canyon area.

Day seven.

No more hotel reservations from here on out.

We had planned on making a big loop up to and through southern Utah hitting places like Zion, Bryce, Captiol Reef and Mexican Hat before riding back to Arizona on our way home.

After our flight over the Grand Canyon, a 90 mile round trip to the North Rim didn't seem necessary now. Besides we had seen it from the air and we saw snow over there. By the way this was the first day of the year that the North Rim was open.

We opted to head towards the Mexican Hat side of our loop. Two reasons, first with no hotel reservation on a Saturday, Mexican Hat seemed like a easier place to get a room than in the Zion area. Second, after our big day over the canyon it might be nice to have a couple of days to digest before seeing our next big sight (Zion).

So off to Mexican Hat we go but not with out seeing a few more sights as we left the canyon taking 64 east.

Good bye to the Yavapai Lodge.

IMG_2815.jpg

Kathleen's got it made in the shade.

IMG_2827.jpg

IMG_2829.jpg

Slowing down.

IMG_2822.jpg

IMG_2824.jpg

The last look, Desert View.

IMG_2847.jpg

IMG_2851.jpg

And with that its audios to the Grand Canyon.

It doesn't take long to go from this,

IMG_2859.jpg

to this.

IMG_2862.jpg

A brief run up 89 then turned NE on 160. Gassed up in Tuba city on our way to Kayenta. At Kayenta we turned north on 163 through Monument Valley and ended up in Mexican Hat.

We stopped for a breather at a gas station in Kayenta and saw these bikes form California. Apparently the owners are into touring on older 4 clyinder bikes. Kinda cool, but it made me feel very pampered on the FJR. I don't think I could have shown my face if we were on a Gold Wing. :giveup:

IMG_2876.jpg

IMG_2873.jpg

550 if I remember right.

IMG_2874.jpg

Into Monument Valley we go.

IMG_2920.jpg

IMG_2895.jpg

IMG_2904.jpg

IMG_2907.jpg

IMG_2906.jpg

IMG_2897.jpg

IMG_2899.jpg

IMG_2898.jpg

From pictures I'd seen in the past, I knew the gray and maroon rocks ahead meant that Mexican Hat was close at hand.

IMG_2911.jpg

IMG_2956.jpg

Mexican Hat Rock.

IMG_2915.jpg

We arrived in Mexican Hat in the mid afternoon. We got a room and decided to ride a little more. We made a loop out of 163 east to Bluff, 191 north to almost Blanding, 95 west to 261 where we would go south and eventually down the Moki Dugway just a few miles from Mexican Hat.

IMG_2925.jpg

Bluff.

IMG_2928.jpg

191 north.

IMG_2930.jpg

Kathleen thought 95 was the prettiest road there though I have no pictures.

261, Moki Dugway.

A view out from the top.

IMG_2943.jpg

IMG_2942.jpg

IMG_2945.jpg

IMG_2949.jpg

Going Down?

IMG_2952.jpg

IMG_2951.jpg

And the view from a postcard.

HPIM2835.jpg

Really not to bad to ride. The u-turns are paved and the road is pretty hard pack with light washboard in most places.

Back at the motel we met a group of Germans riding from San Francisco to Las Vegas in a round about way.

Kathleen at the upper right and their leader on the lower right "Hanging Loose." San Juan river in the background.

IMG_2968.jpg

What struck me as funny was that the Germans were all on Harleys.

Just some of their rentals.

IMG_2970.jpg

But if you went to the other side of the motel you found about 8 Americans on BMW (GS's) and a KTM adventure. Our lone Japanesse bike was kind of out numbered.

After a cool adult beverage or two with our new German friends, it was off to dinner just up the street.

IMG_2977.jpg

And no its not like picking out your lobster! :-)

IMG_2975.jpg

The swinging steaks.

IMG_2980.jpg

A nice steak, adult beverages with new friends and 303 miles for the day.

Google maps link.
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...d=113583176119480680152.000487a960ce282282c4b

Day eight.

Woke up to a beautiful cloudless morning. Not sure how far we'll be going but I figure we will end up somewhere around Torrey UT.

The view of the San Juan river coming and going from the motel.

IMG_2982.jpg

IMG_2984.jpg

Just after getting on 261, we turned onto 316 for a better view of the San Juan river.

IMG_2991.jpg

The road to Goosenecks State Park is approximately three miles long and paved with no entry fee. The river snakes back and forth about four times although you'll never get them all in one picture.

IMG_2999.jpg

IMG_2995.jpg

IMG_2994.jpg

View from a plane or a postcard.

HPIM2834.jpg

Back up Moki Dugway.

Oh yeah, there it is...somewhere in there?

IMG_3006.jpg

At the top of of the Dugway we took a ride out to Muley Point. Unpaved but hard packed. And its an open range.

IMG_3014.jpg

Muley Point looking over the San Juan towards Monument Valley.

IMG_3017.jpg

IMG_3023.jpg

IMG_3000.jpg

IMG_3032.jpg

IMG_3024.jpg

Kathleen making new friends.

IMG_3025.jpg

Back on pavement (read Kathleen happy again) we traveled up 261 to 95 where we turned west.

A short distance later we arrived at the Natural Bridges National Monument.

IMG_3040.jpg

Sipapu Bridge directly in the center.

IMG_3051.jpg

Sipapu Bridge viewing area.

IMG_3059.jpg

And we move on.

IMG_3070.jpg

IMG_3080.jpg

Back onto 95 (Bicentennial Hwy) west. What a great road! A fair amount of big sweeping curves with drop dead gorgeous views around nearly each one. They just seemed to go on and on.

IMG_3097.jpg

IMG_3102.jpg

IMG_3116.jpg

If you take the RV off road, don't forget about the overhang out back!

IMG_3088.jpg

They were just coming out of the tightest section on 95 and they were really hauling!

IMG_3112.jpg

IMG_3120.jpg

IMG_3123.jpg

A quick stop in Hilte for a look at Lake Powell and buy some overpriced gas.

IMG_3128.jpg

Looking back after leaving Hilte five minutes earlier.

IMG_3144.jpg

I hate Tar Snakes, but the road sure was fun!

IMG_3150.jpg

At Hanksville we said goodbye to 95 and picked up 24 west towards Torrey. We did stop long enough to have a decent burger at Blondies before getting on 24.

Once on 24 the terrain suddenly became quite gray.

IMG_3158.jpg

IMG_3162.jpg

IMG_3163.jpg

The terrain changed again as we began to enter the Capitol Reef National Park.

IMG_3166.jpg

IMG_3169.jpg

IMG_3180.jpg

IMG_3184.jpg

It was still a little early in the afternoon so we found a room in Torrey at the Chuckwagon Lodge. From there we threw our stuff in the room and went back into Capitol Reef. At the visitor center we took a scenic drive that goes back into the park about ten miles. We turned around and went back to the room and called it a day. A few pictures from inside the park.

IMG_3209.jpg

IMG_3213.jpg

IMG_3215.jpg

IMG_3216.jpg

IMG_3218.jpg

IMG_3219.jpg

IMG_3220.jpg

IMG_3221.jpg

Another beutiful day to be alive and riding a motorcycle. 281 miles.

Google maps link.
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...d=113583176119480680152.000487acc652e7341739e

Day nine.

The plan was to go down Hwy 12 through the Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument enroute to Bryce and end up somewhere in the Zion area by the end of the day.

It was a little cool out and it would only get colder as we crossed over the Fishlake National Forest. I saw of low of about 43 degrees near the top.

Only a few miles from Torrey and it looks like we're going up there.

IMG_3232-1.jpg

IMG_3235-1.jpg

IMG_3240-1.jpg

Coming down and out the other side. Again, the terrain's starting to change.

IMG_3244-1.jpg

12 through the forest sure was a lot of fun with plenty of curves and braking points. Like a lot of roads on the trip, I'd like to ride this one again.

Grand Staircase.

Usually on the trip you tended to only have this kind of view on one side. In just a little while the road would ride on a narrow crest (barely wide enough for the road) with the view surrounding you.

IMG_3250-1.jpg

IMG_3251-1.jpg

IMG_3253-1.jpg

IMG_3255-1.jpg

IMG_3256-1.jpg

IMG_3258-1.jpg

IMG_3262-1.jpg

IMG_3266-1.jpg

IMG_3269-1.jpg

Looking back at the road we had just traveled.

IMG_3271-1.jpg

IMG_3272-1.jpg

Looking ahead with the FJR.

IMG_3273-1.jpg

And suddenly you're out of it as you near Escalante.

IMG_3274-1.jpg

IMG_3280-1.jpg

Bryce ahead!

IMG_3288-1.jpg

IMG_3290-1.jpg

IMG_3292-1.jpg

Inside the park.

IMG_3301-1.jpg

Through the shuttle bus window right after we started.

IMG_3302-1.jpg

The view from Bryce Point.

IMG_3305-1.jpg

IMG_3310-1.jpg

IMG_3314-1.jpg

IMG_3322-1.jpg

IMG_3332-1.jpg

Rainbow Point. Elevation 9100 ft.

IMG_3354-1.jpg

Still a little cool up here.

IMG_3362-1.jpg

Our last stop was at Natural Bridge (really an arch). Good-bye Bryce.

IMG_3370-1.jpg

12 had one last surprise and that was Red Canyon. I quess I didn't do enough research. It was nice to drive through.

IMG_3377-1.jpg

IMG_3382-1.jpg

IMG_3384-1.jpg

And then we were at 89. We took 89 south until it came to a junction with 9 (goes into Zion). The winds had picked up again and we had bad cross winds the whole time we were on 89 (No pictures). We arrived at Mount Carmel Junction (89/9) and found a Best Western with a vacancy for the next two nights. We're set, Zion tomorrow!

A quick run into Kanab to the Family Dollar for supplies and back to the hotel.

A very interesting ride today! 262 miles.

Google maps link.
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...d=113583176119480680152.000487aeec31d952b0973

:clap:

Thanks, I'm really enjoying this. I can't wait to get back out that way. Every single mile I've travelled in Utah was beautiful. Can't wait to see your Zion pics. That place is incredible. :zen:

You guys are really hurting me and my plans to make a run to the Smokies next week. Sheesh, I just really love those pictures and they bring back so many places I've ridden out there and some you did , I've not put a tire on yet. Decisions, decisions, and, thanks so much for the time and work to share your great trip.

I just let Brenda take a look at some of the sights we'll be seeing in a few weeks. She's really looking forward to it.

Thanks to those that have responded. I hoped that folks who have been to some of these places with get to look back fondly on where they have been. My other hope is that these pictures might inspire someone to do a part of or all of this trip someday. I know I have been inspired by previous reports posted here and elsewhere.

I did a lot of research on which roads and considering the way we went, I think we did pretty well. Also one of the reasons I included a Google Maps link. Couldn't hit them all though.

Achesley - decisions, decisions. Smokies sound like fun and I hope to get there in the next couple of years but as you know, out west is pretty good too!

KLB1122 - This is my third time to Utah and third different part of the state. Just for the record I have really fallen in love with Utah.

Day ten.

You've heard it before and its been true on this trip but pictures (in this case specifically Zion) don't do it justice.

Today's goal is pretty simple, drive approximately 20 miles to the east entrance of the park and see what we can find in Zion. I also wanted to ride a little west of the park to the town of Virgin. From there we would take Kolob Terrace Road north for about 30 miles (reenters the park) until the pavement ends at Kolob Reservoir. I'm told that its a beautiful drive and not heavily traveled.

The weather forecast from the night before called for rain today as a front was moving through Utah. Luckily for us we were in about the only place in the whole state that didn't get rained on.

Hwy 9 was a pleasant drive.

IMG_3395.jpg

IMG_3396.jpg

IMG_3398.jpg

(Surprise surprise) The terrain is changing again, we must be getting near the park.

IMG_3400.jpg

What no lane three to enter through. But lane three ROCKS, or so I've heard. :-P

IMG_3403.jpg

We were now in the Checkerboard Mesa (6670 ft.)

See the checkerboard cut into the rock.

IMG_3404.jpg

Driving around saying to myself "I can't believe I'm here. This is so COOL!") Said so often on this trip and sorry for quoting myself.

Such a plesant drive. Its one of the few times I was so happy to just go slow.

IMG_3408.jpg

IMG_3409.jpg

IMG_3410.jpg

IMG_3411.jpg

IMG_3412.jpg

IMG_3413.jpg

IMG_3414.jpg

IMG_3415.jpg

IMG_3417.jpg

IMG_3421.jpg

IMG_3424.jpg

IMG_3425.jpg

A tunnel but not THE tunnel.

IMG_3426.jpg

IMG_3427.jpg

IMG_3428.jpg

Waiting on the eastbound traffic to come through the tunnel we got a chance to look around bit. Its amazing where vegetation can grow.

IMG_3432.jpg

THE tunnel. I believe it was built between 1927 - 1930. One way traffic at a time.

IMG_3436.jpg

As the Doors once sang, "Break on through to the other side." Again the ever changing terrain. This place seemed to have a sense of Majesty about it.

What you can't see in this picture is the drop off on the right side of the road. the road zig zags back and forth down the side of the mountain until you're in the Canyon.

IMG_3437.jpg

After going down a zig zag or two we see the Arch of Zion just to the left of center in the picture.

IMG_3441.jpg

IMG_3442.jpg

Turning away from the Arch and this is now you're view. I'm not preaching to anyone but it reaffirms to me that there is a God.

IMG_3443.jpg

Looking straight ahead.

IMG_3445.jpg

Glancing to the left.

IMG_3446.jpg

IMG_3447.jpg

Before we left the hotel that morning I saw a group of about 40 Harley's headed towards the park. Quite impressive on some level. :rider: When we reached the Visitor Center we found this! Other than a Gold Wing or two it was the only non-Harley in that group. They had traveled all the way from Philadelphia. I never met the rider but they referred to him by his nickname, "Stinky."

IMG_3450.jpg

Notice the small puddle (just parked there a short time) near the center stand. Whats that old saying? If there's not oil under it then there's not oil in it.
Not exactly my first choice for a ride but God bless him, it's not keeping him home.

IMG_3449.jpg

From there we got on the shuttle bus to go up Zion Canyon. No personal vehicles here. The shuttles run something like every eight minutes and its quite easy to get up and down the canyon.

IMG_3451.jpg

IMG_3452.jpg

The view from the shuttle bus.

IMG_3456.jpg

IMG_3459.jpg

The path up to Weeping Rock.

IMG_3468.jpg

I could not get a good picture of Weeping Rock. Water that was captured inside the rock is being forced out due to pressure. So the side of this rock structure is weeping like a light rain. The water was tested and found to 800 to 1200 years old (how I have no idea).

Kathleen attempts a picture.

IMG_3475.jpg

Looking back from underneath.

IMG_3480.jpg

Looking across the canyon.

IMG_3479.jpg

Almost to the end and the canyon narrows. Big Bend stop.

IMG_3489.jpg

Looking the other way with the Virgin river flowing by.

IMG_3493.jpg

The last stop (trail goes further) Temple of the Sinawava.

IMG_3494.jpg

I'll bet that's neat when the waters flowing over it!

IMG_3499.jpg

IMG_3498.jpg

Looking north.

IMG_3504.jpg

Looking south.

IMG_3503.jpg

Some of the sights from the shuttle bus near the Zion Human History Museum located just north of the Visitor Center.

IMG_3516.jpg

IMG_3520.jpg

Altar of Sacrifice.

IMG_3521.jpg

IMG_3522.jpg

IMG_3523.jpg

In front of the Visitors's Center.

IMG_3525.jpg

With that we headed west through Sringdale towards Virgin where we would ride Kolob Terrace Road about 30 miles north through another part of the park.

However the skies were looking threatening ahead.

IMG_3529.jpg

IMG_3530.jpg

Time to count your blessings. The entire rest of the Utah was getting rained on and we'd had a great day so far. Rather than riding through a possible deluge we decided to turn around and head back. I'd heard the Kolob Terrace Road was well worth the effort and I'm sorry we didn't get to see it but maybe next time.

Just a few more pictures going east.

Around the Springdale area.

IMG_3536.jpg

IMG_3538.jpg

Just inside the South Entrance.

IMG_3539.jpg

IMG_3541.jpg

IMG_3543.jpg

IMG_3544.jpg

IMG_3546.jpg

A shameless tilt of the camera to make it appear like we're really hauling around that corner. Yeah I remember, dragging a knee there I was! :trust:

IMG_3549.jpg

IMG_3550.jpg

IMG_3552.jpg

IMG_3553.jpg

IMG_3555.jpg

The East Entrance seemed a lot busier this morning.

IMG_3557.jpg

No time in the morning so we took the mandatory shot in the afternoon.

Can't decide which one I like better.

IMG_3559.jpg

IMG_3558.jpg

IMG_3561.jpg

Halfway between the Park and Mount Carmel Junction. Looked like a neat resort/cabins place to stay.

IMG_3565.jpg

IMG_3566.jpg

Mount Carmel Junction just below that rock out cropping.

IMG_3568.jpg

A bad picture of a good wife and the end of a great day.

IMG_3569.jpg

69 miles and zillion smiles.

Link to Google Maps
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...d=113583176119480680152.000487d2c5c3a17cb99d4

"Turning away from the Arch and this is now you're view. I'm not preaching to anyone but it reaffirms to me that there is a God."

And the views of Zion, Bryce, Canyonlands, and Arches, is proof positive that he was having a good day when when he made Utah!

Great ride report. Very inspiring.

Day eleven.

Well Zion sure was a highlight!

The day's goal was to get to northeastern Arizona. After Zion we didn't have any definite plans on how to work our way back home. I'd studied maps and message boards before the trip and knew we'd come up with something.

Along the way we'd heard nice things about Canyon De Chelly (pronounced "Da Shay") and it met our requirements that it could be on our way home. So off to Canyon De Chelly in NE Arizona we go and take as many new roads as possible.

After two nice nights we said good-bye to another nice Best Western.

IMG_3571.jpg

Oh yeah, our room was just off the 5th green of the golf course.

IMG_3570.jpg

Next stop on our way to Page was Kanab for breakfast.

On the way we stopped for a moment by a little park/pond.

Kathleen with a totem pole in the background.

IMG_3579.jpg

IMG_3576.jpg

The view on the way to Kanab.

IMG_3581.jpg

After breakfast we were going to take 89 to Page since it is the shorter distance. I remembered from my studies that 89A was supposed to be the more scenic ride. A last minute decision and we were traveling south on 89A. Whats 45 more miles when you're on vacation?

Okay, so you're wise to the whole tilted camera thing. :yawn:

IMG_3583.jpg

IMG_3585.jpg

After mostly open area for a while after leaving Kanab, we entered the Kaibab National Forest (sorry no pictures/I was having fun). The road rose in elevation up to Jacob Lake and then descended over several miles. The road was twisty, scenic and fun to ride briskly. Seems like we were climbing, descending and twisting back and forth about a half hour.

At which point things opened up again and left us with a nice view of the Vermilion Cliffs on our left.

IMG_3588.jpg

IMG_3592.jpg

IMG_3594.jpg

IMG_3595.jpg

IMG_3601.jpg

IMG_3604.jpg

IMG_3611.jpg

IMG_3614.jpg

We took a little break at the Marble Canyon Trading Post and Restaurant. Other than a Chevron and a small airport across the street, that was about everything. Really what else do you need I suppose.

IMG_3621.jpg

A view back at where we had just come from.

IMG_3619.jpg

After the break we no more than got around the corner and we were traveling over the new Navajo Bridge. The bridge crosses the Colorado River before it enters the Grand Canyon and replaces the old bridge that looks just like it.

A picture of the new bridge taken from the old bridge.

IMG_3628.jpg

Looking north.

IMG_3630.jpg

Looking south.

IMG_3632.jpg

Let me squelch some rumors here. Kathleen could not be heard yelling, "Jump, jump, jump."

IMG_3634.jpg

Both bridges as best as I could capture them.

IMG_3638.jpg

89A came to an end at 89. We turned left to go to Page.

Nice newly paved road up a semi large and curvy hill overlooking some of 89A.

IMG_3645.jpg

IMG_3646.jpg

IMG_3649.jpg

IMG_3650.jpg

IMG_3652.jpg

IMG_3654.jpg

Coming into Page on 89.

IMG_3656.jpg

We turned right on 98 going around Page. 98 was a great unknown to me and I don't remember seeing it discussed. Turned out to be a nice pleasant and often scenic ride through the desert.

Just outside Page is this electric plant.

IMG_3657.jpg

Close to the plant on the other side of the road we stumbled across Antelope Slot Canyon (parking). The same canyon where we were taken to after our flight over the Grand Canyon. In case you see the electric plant in your travels you may want to stop in and take a tour of the canyon. Well worth the time we think.

IMG_3658.jpg

IMG_3662.jpg

IMG_3665.jpg

IMG_3668.jpg

98 came to a dead end at 160. This was the same road that we had ridden a few days earlier between Tuba City and Kayenta. We turned left toward Kayenta. Just a reminder but Kayenta is on the south side of Monument Valley. No pictures on the way to Kayenta.

Eariler on our way past the Vermilion Cliffs we passed two riders on Bandit S's. A 1200 and a 600. We struck up a nice conversation with them back at the Marble Canyon Trading Post before we went on our separate ways.

In Kayenta we were hungry and looking for a place for a late lunch. As we spotted a place to eat we saw our Bandit riders just taking off their gear in front of the resturant. They had taken a completely different route to end up in the same place at the same time. We stopped and had a nice meal with them. Gary and Robin from the St. Louis area. Seems they had a trade show in Las Vegas recently. They had thrown their bikes on the truck going to Vegas and they were now riding them home. Smart thinkers!

IMG_3675.jpg

IMG_3672.jpg

IMG_3674.jpg

With that we wished them well and headed a short distance father up 160.

Just over the hill from this one big rock on 160 we turned right on 59.

IMG_3678.jpg

59 was another unknown road that the map showed to be a secondary road. Turns out the road was very nice if a little remote. We don't like crowds so this worked out fine.

IMG_3680.jpg

IMG_3681.jpg

IMG_3682.jpg

In the middle of nowhere on 59 these houses appeared. There were a lot more of them I could get in the picture and didn't appear occupied. Weird?

IMG_3686.jpg

IMG_3688.jpg

IMG_3690.jpg

When 59 tee'ed into 191 at Many Farms we turned right. Approximately 25 miles later we arrived in Chinle looking for a room.

Lucky for us the offical motel of our trip was represented. I have no relatationship with this chain other than I have recently given them a lot of money.

IMG_3691.jpg

It was still a little early so we took a ride out to see some of the canyon. Okay north or south rim, decisions, decisions. Flip a mental coin. South rim it is.

IMG_3692.jpg

IMG_3693.jpg

IMG_3701.jpg

IMG_3703.jpg

Okay its late in the day. "MAKEUP, WARDROBE chop chop!"

IMG_3704.jpg

IMG_3705.jpg

IMG_3708.jpg

IMG_3707.jpg

To be honest I wasn't overly impressed. To be fair, If this had been one of the first canyons we'd seen instead of the last, I know I would have enjoyed it more.

Oh well, we'll probably never be back so we need to learn everything we can about the area. Back at the motel we booked a 3 hour 4x4 tour up the canyon for the next morning.

Very good day riding. 336 miles.

Google Maps link.
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...d=113583176119480680152.000487d6e68a7729e1033

Along the way we'd heard nice things about Canyon De Chelly (pronounced "Da Shay")
Yay... a non-Arizonan that knows how to pronounce Canyon de Chelly. :clap:

The road rose in elevation up to Jacob Lake and then descended over several miles.
If you had turned right at Jacob Lake you would have been at the North Rim in under an hour.

Lucky for us the offical motel of our trip was represented. I have no relatationship with this chain other than I have recently given them a lot of money.
BW inked a deal with Harley-Davidson a while back; they are the official motel chain for either HD or HOG (I forget which) but they are motorcycle-friendly on purpose. Not every location is on the program but enough of them are to make it worthwhile to stay with them.

To be honest I wasn't overly impressed. To be fair, If this had been one of the first canyons we'd seen instead of the last, I know I would have enjoyed it more.
I was ready to smack you silly right about here.

Oh well, we'll probably never be back so we need to learn everything we can about the area. Back at the motel we booked a 3 hour 4x4 tour up the canyon for the next morning.
But then I read this part. ;-)
I'm ready for the next installment when you talk about the cliff dwellings; how the canyon was used in the movie Mackenzie's Gold; etc.

Steve, this is absolutely one of the better ride reports I've ever waded through. Good job.

Texas T. Remember I'm computer stupid so forgive me for not quoting you.
I would have turned right at Jacob Lake if we hadn't flown over the Grand Canyon. 90 mile round trip seem excessive at this point to some scenic overlooks on the North Rim (as great as I've heard they are).

Canyon De Chelly was nice but the Grand Canyon (and several others) is a hard act to follow. The tour was nice and I left with a much rosier feeling afterwards.

I'm glad you've enjoyed the ride report. I'm a sucker for positive feedback.

We took a little break at the Marble Canyon Trading Post and Restaurant. Other than a Chevron and a small airport across the street, that was about everything. Really what else do you need I suppose.

IMG_3621.jpg

They do have free WiFi and make a KILLER breakfast burrito. :eat:

592330845_zGPvw-M.jpg

I love the west so keep the pics coming :thumb:

Back