• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2011 Pie Run Schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.
Working on it :doh:

Tim, we have had very few recommendations westward over the past 6 years. Do you know of anything near Abilene or such? We would be happy to try something out that way, we just don't know of anything. :shrug:

Do these places have pie (that's the theme)? I have a book, Texas Landmark Cafes, that lists quite a few places but they don't mention pie... :giveup:

Mary's has pie...not a lot of varieties and they would definetly need warning to get up to speed...it is more well known for the chicken fried steak and is worth the ride out there for that. So I don't think it would be a great pie run location but is good for a general weekend ride.

OK, I'm looking at "The Pies of Texas" page that I received from the Texan Cafe in Hutto. It is a Texas Monthly article available here. (you have to register to read the whole thing)

They list 9 locations (3 of which we have visited)

---

Garden of (Good) Eatin’ Country Cafe, Nacogdoches

Peabody’s, Goldthwaite

Texan Cafe, Hutto (TWT)

Hill Country Cupboard, Johnson City

Barth’s Restaurant, Kenedy

Love Creek Orchards Patio Cafe, Medina (TWT)

Mrs. Kathy’s Southern Comforts, Snyder

City Cafe, Elgin (TWT)

H & H Cafe and Bakery, Yoakum

Any information on the bold green ones? These look like some "west" possibilities.

---

Another site - Top 10 Places for Pie in Texas lists:

1. Love Those Love Creek Apples, Medina (TWT)

2. Happy Hour by the Slice, Blue Bonnet Cafe, Marble Falls (TWT)

3. Delicious Dozen at Koffee Kup Family Restaurant, Hico (TWT)

4. Must Be Pie Heaven, Brenham (TWT)

5. Pie in the Sky, Conroe (TWT)

6. Big Slice, Small Town, Royer's, Round Top

7. Chappell Hill Sawdust, Bevers Kitchen, Chappell Hill

8. "Life's Short. Eat More Pie.", Texas Pie Co, Kyle (TWT)

9. In Praise of Tootie, Boerne

10. One Last Bite, Midpoint Cafe, Adrian (TWT)

We have hit most of these - only one listed that is out west is Adrian! :-P

Did a little googling and found Shirley's Burnt Biscuit in Marathon, TX. Apparently famous for Fried Pies.
I have never been there personally, wonder if Voni knows anything about the pie situation in the west or rather the Big Bend region?

We tried the Hill Country Cupboard in Johnson City a few years ago, the food was OK, didn't try the pie since it was a breakfast ride, it is a pretty decent sized place, might be able to handle the group. I think the Silver K is a bit too "upscale" to host our group, not really a "cafe", it is more of a sit down restaurant than Koffee Kup style cafe.

The Fredricksburg Pie Company is just a pie place like the The Deutsch Apple in Blanco except they have many types of pie where as the The Deutsch Apple has apple pie and breads. Fredricksburg is crazy on weekends with tourist traffic, it was crazy when we went through there on the way home last Wednesday.

We may try and visit these places next weekend to check them out.

Last edited:
Mrs. Kathy’s Southern Comforts, Snyder

Here's what the pie looks like at Mrs. Kathy's:

mrskathys-coconut-cream-pie.jpg

Apparently, she also has Sundaes, banana splits, etc.

OK, after much wailing and gnashing of teeth, I think I have something to work with.

I looked at comments and relative geographic locations. There were a bunch of comments about Royer's - my biggest concern is their size - I have never been there. If ya'll think they will be too small, I'll find a replacement.

Here is what I have (also in post #1):

Jan 29: Koffee Kup, Hico
Feb 26: Pie in the Sky, Conroe
Mar 19: Royer's Cafe, Round Top (new)
Apr 30: Mosier's (Tiffany's) Cafe, Lake Fork Marina
May 28: Floyd's Ranch House, Ingleside
Jun 25: Downtown cafe, Thorndale (new)
Jul 30: Texan Cafe, Hutto
Aug 27: Sam's Restaurant, Fairfield
Sep 24: TBD, depending on recon - Peabody’s, Goldthwaite (new) or Smokestack Restaurant, Thurber (new)
Oct 29: Murphy's Steakhouse, Winchester (new)
Nov 19: Jake and Dorothy's, Stephenville (new)
Dec 31: Moosehead Cafe, Crockett, 12 noon

:shrug:

Last edited:
according to their web site they can seat around 40 people at Royer's.

WOO HOO!! Ingleside!! we can stay out on the Island this time!

Ponder "Ranchmans" has a great burger and cobbler as well as pie.

I had seriously considered putting Ponder in for 2011 but we had several others in the same area. Plus, several folks have mentioned not liking having to ride thru (or around) DFW to get there.

I had seriously considered putting Ponder in for 2011 but we had several others in the same area. Plus, several folks have mentioned not liking having to ride thru (or around) DFW to get there.

But I thought getting there was half the fun??? :scratch: LOL

As i said earlier, I talked with THE Bud Royer and told me he could handle 50 or so pie eaters...but he needs the heads up and we would need to be there before the crowds show..How many people usually show up for these things ??

Jan 29: Koffee Kup, Hico
Feb 26: Pie in the Sky, Conroe
Mar 26: Royer's Cafe, Round Top (new)
Apr 30: Mosier's (Teresa's) Cafe, Lake Fork Marina
May 28: Floyd's Ranch House, Ingleside
Jun 25: Downtown cafe, Thorndale (new)
Jul 30: Texan Cafe, Hutto
Aug 27: Sam's Restaurant, Fairfield
Sep 24: TBD, depending on recon - Peabody’s, Goldthwaite (new) or Smokestack Restaurant, Thurber (new)
Oct 29: Murphy's Steakhouse, Winchester (new)
Nov 19: Jake and Dorothy's, Stephenville (new)
Dec 31: Moosehead Cafe, Crockett, 12 noon

Looks great Chuck, nice job!

Warning, the March date has changed and is not updated on the map below.

2011twtexpielocate.jpg

Excellent, as always, Chuck.:clap:

If Royer's proves too small, 2010's Godley and Elgin both offered good accomodations and excellent pie.

Thanks for the list Chuck :clap:

There's only two dates that I know I can't make. The rest will work and 3 of the spots are within 100 miles from me, making for a great Saturday ride :rider:

One of my New Year's resolutions is to make more Pie Runs. Of course another one is lose weight. We'll have to see which one of those wins out :lol2:

I don't know if there's anything pie run-worthy in that area, but I'd be up for Slaton. In fact, if any of these runs end up coming further west, I'll be happy to help plan and organize. Just let me know.

How about Mesquite Wood Bar-B-Q in Iraan, Texas...east of Ft. Stockton? I think it can handle 40-50 folks....

RB

How about Mesquite Wood Bar-B-Q in Iraan, Texas...east of Ft. Stockton? I think it can handle 40-50 folks....

RB

Heck yeah, I love that place. We ride down there all the time in the summer. The owners are avid motorcyclists, too. I don't know if they have pie, though. I'd have to call Dana and ask him. If his wife knew bunch of people were coming, though, I bet she'd go all out.

Otherwise, I'm thinking Goldthwaite in September will be a possibility for me. I'd do Hico again, but it was 4 degrees when I left Midland for the Koffee Kup last year. I don't wanna come to another pie run in the car.

I was in San Angelo today, looking for pie places, but danged if I could find any. Oh well –– seems the schedule is pretty much buttoned up, anyhow, and it's a good one at that.

Good work, Chuck. :thumb:

All that said, if anyone is interested in meeting at Mesquite Wood some Saturday just to eat BBQ, let me know and I'll be there with bells on. That's a fun ride for me, and I love eating there.

sheffride0309-006.jpg

Yes I vote for warmer weather for Hico this year. Either that or I'm going to have to break down and buy some heated gloves and socks.

Yes I vote for warmer weather for Hico this year. Either that or I'm going to have to break down and buy some heated gloves and socks.

Weather like that, you need a heated space suit. I had heated gloves last year, so my hands were the only warm spots on me by time two or three hours riding passed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back