• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Keeping Austin Weird...

M38A1

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Only in Austin can you find a multi-colored painted piano on a pedestrian bridge in city center being played by a homeless person at 2:30pm in the afternoon...

i-G4qDkRM-XL.jpg

A recent news article said there are 14 of them placed about as public art.

I had read that as well.... Maybe I'll try to shoot a series of all 14. Hmmm....

It's all part of the "Play me, I'm yours" art project....

http://www.streetpianos.com/austin2011/

Austin
1. 1st Street Pedestrian Bridge
2. Butler Park (atop Doug Sahm Hill)
3. City Hall Plaza
4. Duncan Park
5. Fannie Davis Gazebo
6. Frost Bank Tower
7. Lou Neff Point
8. Pfluger Bridge
9. Pfluger Bridge Garden
10. Shoal Creek Peninsula
11. The Long Center
12. Travis County Jail
13. W Austin
14. Wooldridge Square Gazebo

Last edited:
Which location will you be playing Scott? I'll come take picture of you doing your part to keep Austin weird. :brainsnap:rofl:

:duck:

Dennis - thank you for the kind offer to capture what would only be described as key-banging of the finest form. I'm as musically inclined as a duck is to playing checkers.

Dennis - thank you for the kind offer to capture what would only be described as key-banging of the finest form. I'm as musically inclined as a duck is to playing checkers.

Maybe, but you have great style and energy. :thumb:

HAHAHA...hope the "art" was privately funded.
:clap:

rt Alliance Austin (est. 1956) is a non-profit 501(c)(3), member-powered organization that promotes and funds visual art by supporting local art institutions and artists. It also commissions public art, hosts an annual international architecture competition, and produces a myriad of events that bring artists and collectors together while generating economic benefit for the entire city. Art Alliance Austin 2010 events include Art Night Austin, Art City Austin, Art Week Austin, co-production of Pecha Kucha Night Austin and Art Night Austin EAST.

Doubtful.

"Later on News8 Austin, a story about 14 pianos mysteriously dissappearing from different areas of Austin. Mexican drug cartels are suspected in using them as micro-submarines to ship copious amounts of cocaine across the state". :doh:

Only in Austin can you find a multi-colored painted piano on a pedestrian bridge in city center being played by a homeless person at 2:30pm in the afternoon...

i-G4qDkRM-XL.jpg

I like the B&W photo as street pj. Might try cropping the concrete outcropping on the left. :shrug:

I think the colors would to be interesting at the right time of day. Partial face/piano/bridge graffiti

Thanks Gary....

I went back and forth on the cropping. I could crop out that left 'block' and one vertical building fairly easily, but I was trying to keep 'skyline' as much as I could. As for the color, you'd hate to see the original as it was shot at 2:30pm in super-bright/cloudy condition. :eek2:

I might have to talk my little gal into taking a walking tour downtown this weekend. It could make for some fun times.

Does anyone else think the shot is 'soft'? Using f/9.5 I'm just not feeling the love...

i-G4qDkRM-XL.jpg

Due to the phenomenal blocking rules at work, I couldn't see your smugmug picture. I forwarded the link to my daughter and she copied the pic and sent it back to me.

All I can say is :clap::thumb:. I think it's a phenomenal shot and it looks great in B&W. She called it 'breathtaking'.

Seems like I remember a picture of a couple of TWTer's back in college with a piano hooked to a motorcycle? And the person playing the piano was dressed maybe a bit different? I wonder if it was taken in Austin?

Nope, that wasn't it. And Kurt, I think the piano player had the same last name as you.

Does anyone else think the shot is 'soft'? Using f/9.5 I'm just not feeling the love...

well, my take is this might be one of those pictures where you let the color show for the piano and leave the rest b&w. Unless this was film then never mind.:doh:

Back