• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

HB2470 / HB3838 "Malories Law" - Foot Pegs and Grab Handles

Status
Not open for further replies.

M38A1

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
EDIT: IT'S BACK FOR THE 2013 SESSION
Post #763 is the NEW 2013 Version

HB 2470
Author: Phillips
Last Action: 05/05/2011 S Received from the House
Caption: Relating to the regulation of sport bikes and certain other motorcycles.

In a nutshell, they're looking at a series of things to include:
1) Definition of a sportbike
Section 541.201, Transportation Code, is amended
by adding Subdivision (18-a) to read as follows:
(18-a) "Sport bike" means a motorcycle:
(A) that is optimized for speed, acceleration,
braking, and maneuverability on paved roads;
(B) that has a light-weight frame;
(C) on which the rider leans forward over the gas
tank; and
(D) is not a touring, cruiser, standard, or
dual-sport motorcycle.

2) The passenger on a sportbike is defined as one who is 18 or older with an "M" endorsement
SECTION 4. Subchapter I, Chapter 545, Transportation Code,
is amended by adding Section 545.4161 to read as follows:
Sec. 545.4161. OPERATION OF SPORT BIKE. (a) In addition to
the requirements and prohibitions under Section 545.416, an
operator may not carry another person on a sport bike unless the
sport bike is designed to carry more than one person, and unless:
(1) the operator:
(A) is at least 18 years of age; and
(B) has had a Class M license for at least two
years; or
(2) the other person:
(A) is at least 18 years of age and holds a Class
M license; or
(B) is a motorcycle operator training and safety
course instructor certified under Chapter 662.
(b) An operator of a sport bike shall ensure that a
passenger on the sport bike complies with all department
regulations relating to motorcycle safety.

3) The addition of requisite 'safety' equipment to include:
Sec. 547.803. SPORT BIKE SAFETY EQUIPMENT. If a sport bike
is designed to carry more than one person, the sport bike must be
equipped with foot pegs and handholds for use by a passenger on the
sport bike.

4) Defining Motorcycle to include Sportbike
SECTION 7. Section 661.001(1), Transportation Code, is
amended to read as follows:
(1) "Motorcycle" means a motor vehicle designed to
propel itself with not more than three wheels in contact The term
includes a sport bike, as defined by Section 541.201.

Here's the HISTORY of it from the HOUSE side:
http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup/History.aspx?LegSess=82R&Bill=HB2470

Here's the TEXT of it from the HOUSE side:
http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/82R/billtext/html/HB02470I.htm

Last edited:
Re: HB 2470 - Heads up sporkbikes, they're gunning for you...

They're saying that a vehicle designed to carry a passenger can only carry a passenger who is also licensed to be an operator!?! That's absurd.

Re: HB 2470 - Heads up sportbikes, they're gunning for you...

What it says is "until you've had an M endoresement for 2 years your passengers must be 18 and have an M endorsement." After two years the restriction on passengers is removed. The key word is "OR" in 2-(2)(A)

They're saying that a vehicle designed to carry a passenger can only carry a passenger who is also licensed to be an operator!?! That's absurd.

The way I'm reading it is if you've had a motorcycle license less than two years your passenger has to have a motorcycle license.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't really have a problem with the provisions other than for handholds.

None are made for my zx12r.

Gonna need a definition, cuz I'm sure that holding onto the operator is no longer acceptable.

It seems that this bill is written to protect passengers.

James

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weird. I hope it has the same fate the lane splitting bill has had so far. Does a ninja 250 qualify as a sportbike while an FZ1 does not? Idiots.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

What it says is "until you've had an M endoresement for 2 years your passengers must be 18 and have an M endorsement." After two years the restriction on passengers is removed. The key word is "OR" in 2-(2)(A)

Actually, if you read it again, it's pretty convoluted. If I'm reading it correctly it states that only one of the 2 individuals needs to have an endorsement.

(1) the operator:
(A) is at least 18 years of age; and
(B) has had a Class M license for at least two
years; or
(2) the other person:
(A) is at least 18 years of age and holds a Class
M license; or

This is a discriminatory bill; highly discriminatory. AMA contacted.

This is interesting. From that page:

Malorie's Law
Channel 8 news is cracking down on the super sport bike stunt riders. See the note. Please send your comments about Malorie's law to channel 8 news as well so this will perhaps get attention to get house bill 2470 passed, thank you for your support.
May 3 at 11:17pm

More:

Malorie Elise Bullock, a 19 years of age Honor’s College student at Texas A&M University of Commerce, tragically lost her life April 8th 2010, while a passenger on a light weight motorcycle (crotch rocket). This petition is to help prevent further injury or death as a result of being a passenger on light weight motorcycles.

Riders and passengers of light weight motorcycles are required to obtain a permit for carrying a passenger or being a passenger on these motorcycles. Riders carrying passengers may only be experienced riders with the knowledge of changes and adjustments which are needed to carry passengers. A knowledge written test and rider’s skills test will be required, with a passing score, to obtain a passenger permit.

Riders and passengers will be ticketed when either one or both do not have a permit for passengers while riding on the light weight motorcycles.

To support Malorie's Law, please visit the website, download, and follow instructions. Thank you

yeah, because Mr. Midlifecrisis who goes out and buys an 800 Harley know exactly what he's doing. After all, he is wearing a bandanna, that makes him an expert. And his passenger is so much safer too :rollseyes:

They'll use legislative time for this but not for lane splitting..............wont someone think of the children!!!!!!!!!

I'm pretty sure young women die on cruisers, standards and dual sports too.

my guess is, all this will do is increase the number of morons running from the cops with passengers.

What a load of emotionally driven horse****. Figures. Fricking figures.

Well, your comment on the 'Mallories Law' facebook page almost stayed there half an hour.

What was the comment?

I'm all for requiring riders to have 2 years experience before carrying a passenger. Riding with a passenger changes everything about the bike, and you really need to know your bike, and your skills inside and out to do it safely. I don't agree with making it style-specific though.

Well, the petition is being hosted by a bunch of little old ladies who have nothing better to do in their day than some **** as this.

If you followed the links you came to a site for "first ladies of the round table" and no I won't post their site as it's a bunch of self serving drivel.

But I did, however, take the time to pen them a message.

Good Evening,

I discovered your site after doing some research on Malorie's law which recently passed the Texas House.

While I respect the grieving mother for a lost daughter, I take issue to the intent of this law. It is likely that this bill will not pass. If the COC isn't involved, they soon will be and petitions against will be filed. Even if it does, it will most likely not be enforced to any degree.

Just so we are clear, I am Father to a 19 year old son who does not share my passion for riding after running an XR80 into a fence post. I have logged more than 80,000 miles on both Sport Bikes (crotch rockets, etc) and Cruisers since I started riding 7 years ago. I have been down twice and kissed a concrete barricade due to no fault of my own, but to the drivers that pulled into my path. I am a proud member of B.A.C.A. (Bikers Against Child Abuse) and am preparing for a cross country ride to support an awareness of child abuse and Child Advocacy Centers in 16 states.

While I will not say that your intentions in the Malorie case are misguided, I most certainly feel they are uninformed. With your support of the petition and the law as it is written, it seems to me that no member of this organization has ever been on a motorcycle, as either pilot or pillion, and does not understand or recognize the inherent dangers of our sport.

If you have read the facebook page that the mother created there is one post that mentions a local news stations coverage of "super sport stunt bike riders". This obviously shows a lack of knowledge of our sport and what terminology we use. "Supersport" is a class in the AMA Pro racing circuit and refers to a 600cc racebike that has been modified from it's factory configuration. There have been other references to "crotch rocket". I have never understood this term. My first bike was a Suzuki TL1000R which was a full 1000CC Superbike and my current bike is a Cruiser.

Education is what must be focused upon for both the pilot and the pillion.

In closing, I would ask that this be read with objectivity and openness to a differing opinion.

Also, before I end this communication I would like to ask what bike came to mind when I mentioned I ride a Cruiser? Was it "oh, he rides a Harley"? Or was it he rides a 2007 Honda Shadow Spirit VT1100C?

Regards and Respect,

David "Maverick" Milner
BACA Brazos Valley

Last edited by a moderator:

My comment to them:
(as a preface, my bike is listed as a 'Standard' by both definition of HB2470, IIHS and State Farm)
With due respect and condolence to Malorie's family, I am glad that you are taking a stand on motorcycle safety. I fear that this will only be in writing and not enforced like so many other good-intentioned legislations. As a rider, the problem that I see is that sportbike riders typically have less concern for what is written to law than just about any other demographic. Take license plating as an example and the number that run when pursued.

Sportbike riders are the new rebels like Easy Riders were in the 60s-70s. With that said, I believe that all this will accomplish is more runners, more rebellion and possibly more injury and death. Since cruisers are the leading motorcycles in fatalities according to IIHS reports (http://www.iihs.org/research/fatality_facts_2009/motorcycles.html), I think emphasis on safety gear and training for ALL motorcycles will save more lives.
Respectfully,
Corey Sharek

I hope that facts and empirical study might have an effect, but i know better. THis is the most emotionally driven drivel I've seen in a while.

My comment to them:
(as a preface, my bike is listed as a 'Standard' by both definition of HB2470, IIHS and State Farm)
With due respect and condolence to Malorie's family, I am glad that you are taking a stand on motorcycle safety. I fear that this will only be in writing and not enforced like so many other good-intentioned legislations. As a rider, the problem that I see is that sportbike riders typically have less concern for what is written to law than just about any other demographic. Take license plating as an example and the number that run when pursued.

Sportbike riders are the new rebels like Easy Riders were in the 60s-70s. With that said, I believe that all this will accomplish is more runners, more rebellion and possibly more injury and death. Since cruisers are the leading motorcycles in fatalities according to IIHS reports (http://www.iihs.org/research/fatality_facts_2009/motorcycles.html), I think emphasis on safety gear and training for ALL motorcycles will save more lives.
Respectfully,
Corey Sharek

I hope that facts and empirical study might have an effect, but i know better. THis is the most emotionally driven drivel I've seen in a while.

WHOA!!!!!

What is the percentage of sport bike class to cruiser class that the study is focusing on?

Remember, loud pipes save lives, right? :lol2:

I guess Malorie's Law supporters forgot to tell the part of the story where Malorie was forced on the back of the "super sport" bike at gunpoint.

I guess Malorie's Law supporters forgot to tell the part of the story where Malorie was forced on the back of the "super sport" bike at gunpoint.

She was, I'm sure of it and the pilot kept it on her the whole time thus resulting in the accident as he/she was riding backwards.

They did say stunters. **** stunters kidnapping folks. LOL

Apparently this Honors student wasn't too good at decision making. Who on earth would get on a bike with someone riding irresponsibly?

what absolutely boils my blood is that this is another example of legislation in place of personal responsibility. Heaven forbid that she made the choice and that its her fault - obviously we have to make the world safe with laws.

I'm ready for a nerf-coated world devoid of danger and sharp edges - h'bout y'all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back