• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Galveston

RASZ

Reaction score
All comments are appreciated.

Should I crop this or leave it as is?

Which one of the three below is better?

Last edited by a moderator:
First off, thanks for submitting....

In general, I think there's an issue with the lens flare which appears on the center/left portion of the night shots. Almost looks like a thumb/hand print on the lens is diffusing the image light as it's consistent across the night shots. You might want to check to see if the lens is clean.

I'm no expert, but here's what I see.

Re: #1, I like the attempt. The framing is good with a lot of nice elements of shoreline, piers, boats, diffused sunshine in the clouds. Yet I find the exposure to be sort of unbalanced and that's mostly due to the sun still quite high in the sky when shot. That's a tough shot to do well. And the little dots I assume are two birds? I'd probably have cloned them out. I'm either a half bubble off plumb, or the ocean seems to trail to the side a bit too. Simple post processing can take care of that. Still, a nice attempt.

Re: #2, I like lighthouses and this is a good start to this one. Little things like the power lines are a distraction as is the road surface and yellow line at road center. Possibly by moving to the far side of the road closer to the subject would have done a couple things like eliminate the road/stripe, and put much more of the home/lighthouse which I assume is the focus of the shot in the frame. There's a lot of empty space around it in my opinion.

Re: #3, I'm not feeling the love with this one. It's tilted and the exposure is out of balance. I don't know if you hand-held this or used a tripod, but I can say if a tripod was used, I would have tried to slow down the shutterspeed to 1/30 or 1/15 to get the ferris wheel in the background to be one huge spinning neon circle. They look much better with action going on. And that lens flare/thumbprint.....

Re: #4, Much like #3, the lens flare is still there. I'm also going to assume the camera struggles in low light without the flash based on the amount of noise (little pixels of discolor) for these night shots. But I'm a sucker for amusement parks at night, so I've got to like the attempt. Again, trying to get movement shown via slower shutter speeds works really well for these types of shots.

Re: #5, I think this one needs a crop! Get rid of the car door at the top and see if there's anything to work with just the birds on the crane arm. (is that a pun of sorts? birds and "crane" arm?)

As for which is better of the three, I don't want to be harsh, but you might rethink that shot a bit more. My primary reason for that is, I don't know what the subject is, what you're trying to tell or show me. If it's the two little towers in the back, they're way too small and irrelevant. Yet if I had to choose, I'd take the third one and crop it to remove the telephone pole on the right and play with the exposure a bit to make it pop a bit more.

Again, I'm no expert and I don't want to be harsh, but that's what I see. There is some nice framing going on in a few and with a little work at it, I'd bet you can recreate these to be better next time.

On a related note, try to imagine or create the shot in your head first. In other words, when you saw the buildings and sand/saltgrass dunes, how did you want the image to come in your mind? Then, shoot that.

First off, thanks for submitting....

In general, I think there's an issue with the lens flare which appears on the center/left portion of the night shots. Almost looks like a thumb/hand print on the lens is diffusing the image light as it's consistent across the night shots. You might want to check to see if the lens is clean.

Thank you. I've always respected your input. Would the humidity in Galveston cause some of distortion?

Thank you. I've always respected your input. Would the humidity in Galveston cause some of distortion?

Without a doubt, coming from a cold A/C vehicle and stepping into a warm humid environment can fog a lens or viewfinder. In this case, it would have to be the lens as that's what would affect the image. So yes, a possibility.

Back