• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Beyond EPIC 4: Sep 2-5, 2011, The Ozarks

wife said yes.
boss said yes.
paypal sent.
hotel booked.

now i just need to work out how to carry an extra gallon of gas with me.

What sort of range is needed anyway? i figure the 3.3 gallon on the ktm should be good for 120-130 miles, will that cover it?

That's enough, the longest single day I've done up there was about 140 miles, but I must have passed half a dozen gas stations.

Sounds like a great ride Richard and would love to make it.
The wife and I just came back from putting in over 1500 miles on the bikes in Arkansas. Fine dirt and paved roads. I would like to make this trip and hit some more roads and meet more motorcycle junkies.:lol2: I will have to see how things go. We have a trip planed to BB in November but I would like to swing both.:doh:

Second call -

I'm going (riding from Houston) on Thursday, and have a room reserved for Thurs-Fri-Sat-Sun.

Ride up?

Anyone want to split the room?

Neil

:tab Okay... The KLR lives again!! After ten months of languishing in the garage, it needed a good carb cleaning but runs great now.

:tab The fork seals are leaking, so that is the next project.

:tab Also, it doesn't want to go into and stay in first gear for some reason :ponder: It keeps popping back into neutral unless I hold it in first gear and even then it sometimes tries to pop out of gear. Works fine in all other gears. Any ideas on what might be causing this? It has about 19K miles on it, so maybe the clutch is wearing out?

:tab If I go on this trip, I will be trailering up from Huntsville. I have room for five bikes on the trailer and room in the truck for five people to fit comfortably (total for both). All I ask is that we split the diesel bill.

:tab I'll need a roomie too. Non smoking.

:tab Also, it doesn't want to go into and stay in first gear for some reason :ponder: It keeps popping back into neutral unless I hold it in first gear and even then it sometimes tries to pop out of gear.

Sounds like you need to replace the clutch plates. It is pretty easy to do and after hard 19,000 dual-sport miles, it will make shifting like butter. I did it to my WR after burning a clutch in New Mexico trying to slog through the heavy red, wet mud.

IMG_0696.png

It might also be clutch adjustment etc.

RB

Tried adjusting the cable, but that does not seem to help. I haven't noticed the clutch feeling like it is slipping, just that 1st doesn't want to stay in gear.

I will be heading up on Thursday, have room for one extra bike in my truck. Anyonw who wants to share and ride and gas, let me know.

Tried adjusting the cable, but that does not seem to help. I haven't noticed the clutch feeling like it is slipping, just that 1st doesn't want to stay in gear.

I think it might be the clutch plates if I had to guess...I paid about $120 for the entire clutch pack from Yamaha.

Hope you get it working soon.

:)

RB

Will there be a place to pitch a tent? Funds are running low! Got to try and make it a budget trip if I want to go. lol!!

You can pitch a tent anywhere in the national forest. Just grab a spot and sleep. I don't know of any camping in Clarksville though.

Richard, can you give us the latest count?
Approximately how many pavement 'only'?

Camilo,

As of today 25 riders have signed up. The registration form doesn't ask about planning riding (pavement only or both pavement & dirt) so I don't have any way of estimating how many will be pavement only. Several riders have indicated they are bringing their street bikes but I don't have any sort of count of them.

Don't worry CDC, you will have at least one more rider with you :rider:

Will there be a place to pitch a tent? Funds are running low! Got to try and make it a budget trip if I want to go. lol!!

You can pitch a tent anywhere in the national forest. Just grab a spot and sleep. I don't know of any camping in Clarksville though.

Spadra Creek Use Area is just South of town on Hwy 103. I've had folks stay there on past rides I've organized. I've not stayed there but have driven in to see it and it looks pretty nice. I've no info about cost/availability or how to contact anyone. The folks that stayed there all seemed to like it.

Spadra Creek Use Area is just South of town on Hwy 103. I've had folks stay there on past rides I've organized. I've not stayed there but have driven in to see it and it looks pretty nice. I've no info about cost/availability or how to contact anyone. The folks that stayed there all seemed to like it.

I've stayed there before and have no complaints. It's $10 a night for tent camping if I remember right with a few dollars extra for electricity. They've got real restrooms and showers.

Does Oklahoma or Arkansas have an Off Highway Vehicle Program or permit decal your required to have or display?

According to the Ozark National Forest web site Arkansas has a OHV program for Arkansas residents that costs $10 per year to register your OHV. It doesn't discuss out of state visitors. The Ozark NF has proposed a $40 fee for OHV use of the national forest but it doesn't appear the fee has been approved yet. I suggest contacting the state of Arkansas for definitive info on their OHV program and the National Forest service for an update on their program.

Just watch for the ATVs!!! Legally, they are not supposed to be on the Forest Roads because they are not licensed. That said, I think half the population in Arkansas gets around on ATVs instead of cars/trucks :roll: They also have a nasty habit of treating roads as if they are one way, meaning the way they are traveling and they don't pay much attention to which side of the road they are on, even when cresting blind hills or rounding blind corners. So when YOU crest a hill or round a corner, make sure you are on YOUR side of the road ;-) Of course, that does not always help... :doh:

Just watch for the ATVs!!! Legally, they are not supposed to be on the Forest Roads because they are not licensed.

One point of clarification: The forest service publishes a guide to OHV use of the Ozark National Forest, called Travelling the Backcountry- Guide to Off-Highway Vehicle Routes. It lists all the roads and trails that OHVs can legally travel. There are forest service roads that OHV riders can legally ride on. OHV riders cannot legally ride on all forest service roads - they can only ride on those designated for OHV travel in the OHV guide.

When travelling on OHV legal roads you really have to be on the lookout for them as they may not be operating in a safe manner (i.e. travelling abreast and taking up both sides of the roads). Unfortunately, Tourmeister learned from personal experience that this can be an issue.

The good news is that the Ozarks are not overrun with ATVs.

More variables than I anticipated so being a little more specfic will any of the Beyond Epic off pavement tracks or routes on your next publication require permitting for the DS bikes. Probably what I should have asked in the first place. Thanks for the replys.

All of the dirt routes in the ride guide are on open, public roads. You won't require any sort of permit to ride a street legal ds bike on the dirt routes.

Back