• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2012 pie run schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.
since yesterday was my 1st PIE, i guess i'm just probably un-informed

but...

¿ did i miss the sign in / tally sheet ?

or is the PIE RUN intended to be a secret event, where:

WHAT HAPPENS ON/@/TO... PIE, STAYS THERE...

i saw the PRE-PIE lists

but, never found a sign in sheet @ the Moosehead

just a ponderment

btw:

saw some nice skoots & visited w/ some nice folks

only wish the Moosehead hadn't run so short on PIE

& the ride home was way more pleasant than the ride down

the sun was rising, as i geared up

the sun disappeared just east of Dallas

the fog set in just south of Athens

the drizzle started just after that

the sun came back out during PIE ( ¿ an omen ¿ )

& the sun blessed me, all the way home

& the sun was setting as i pulled my gear off & rolled the WEE in the garage

ALL IN ALL, PIE IS A GOOD EXCUSE FOR A RIDE (like one is ever needed)

shiny side up

since yesterday was my 1st PIE, i guess I'm just probably un-informed

but...

¿ did i miss the sign in / tally sheet ?

or is the PIE RUN intended to be a secret event, where:

WHAT HAPPENS ON/@/TO... PIE, STAYS THERE...

i saw the PRE-PIE lists

but, never found a sign in sheet @ the Moosehead

just a ponderment

Normally there is not a sign in at the destination, we are not that formal.
the Pie Runs are more a excuse to ride someplace different and meet strange different people and check out their bikes.

there have been drawings for prizes in the past and that involved signing a entry card and those were used to get a head count.

often someone will do a bike count, Crockett is a hard place to do a bike count as the bikes are spread out all over the square.

we do the sign up so we can give a heads up to the destination of how many people to expect. sometimes more people show up than say are coming, or some have more than one slice of pie, or in the one case the place deliberately didn't have pie knowing we were coming for the pie.

what happens at a pie run can go viral on You Tube!:lol2: to many cameras and witnesses!

It looks like there is no planned pie meeting locations west of Kerrville if you draw a straight line to the top of Texas. What about Midland, Big Bend or perhaps Amarillo'ish?

It only means an extra 500-700 miles of riding for those in East Texas.

RB

Historically, they haven't been well attended. Adrian was about a dozen riders and Ft. Davis was less than 20 IIRC.

Historically, they haven't been well attended. Adrian was about a dozen riders and Ft. Davis was less than 20 IIRC.

I was at the Ft. Davis pie run and I counted around 20-25. Several people arrived unannounced and quite a few folks camped out in the park. I believe you rode your Goldwing at the time if I recall.

...25 riders sounds good to me. :rider:

RB

I was at the Ft. Davis pie run and I counted around 20-25. Several people arrived unannounced and quite a few folks camped out in the park. I believe you rode your Goldwing at the time if I recall.

...25 riders sounds good to me. :rider:

RB

But 22 or 23 of the 25 were from the DFW/Houston/Austin Triangle.

I'm all for a westerly pie run. I'd just like to meet some westerly people!

Are some of these going to be a "over-nighter"?

Perhaps, if we have a distant location. I think 3 over-nighters would be fun. I suggest one at Padre Island, the Panhandle area like Canyon city west of Palo Duro canyon and the other at Fort Davis north of Big Bend.

I will be sending Ed and Rich as the official scouts to find adequate pie facilities. They report back with detailed results including a comprehensive demographic study of the region if possible. :clap:

Let's try 3 out of the way locations....jump out of the box of routine fellas.

Your Trusty Scribe,

RB

Over nighters might appeal to some but I suspect the overall turnout for them will be much lower because it is difficult for a lot of people to devote that much time and money to them.

Over nighters might appeal to some but I suspect the overall turnout for them will be much lower because it is difficult for a lot of people to devote that much time and money to them.

Unless you moved the overnight pie run to a Sunday. Saturday could be used to get there and relax. Sunday would be an early lunch and pie and then hit the road back home.

Of course, if y'all come out to Pie Town that would probably need to be a Fri-Sun event.

Unless you moved the overnight pie run to a Sunday. Saturday could be used to get there and relax. Sunday would be an early lunch and pie and then hit the road back home.

Of course, if y'all come out to Pie Town that would probably need to be a Fri-Sun event.

:sun:

I like the idea. Perhaps something to consider for 2013?

Keep on Truckin,

RB

That's the trick with making an overnighter. Since lunch is lunch (already as early as 11am), you can't get home much earlier. The overnighter can alleviate pre-dawn starts; but for summer months, early starts aren't necessarily a bad thing.

An overnighter to an area that has great riding roads (e.g. 3 sisters) would be more incentive. Ride out to the area the previous day, spend the afternoon enjoying the locale, overnight, a little more local riding in the morning and then lunch and head home. As Tx T pointed out, it helps to move the pie day to Sunday.

Another idea could be to set it up as part of a SS1k.
For example, the east and SE Tx crowd starts in Katy or Orange, ride to pie/lunch around Junction. Finish the 1k towards Midland by way of El Paso. Overnight and then head home the next day. This can leave the pie day on Saturday.

:sun:

I like the idea. Perhaps something to consider for 2013?

Keep on Truckin,

RB

Personally I think some of these would be fun to attend but need to be in addition to, not in place of some of the existing Pie Runs which tend to have "local" attendees.

I attend roughly 7 or 8 Pie Runs a year. There are only a few of the same people that I see at every Pie Run I attend. My perception is that the majority of the people at each Pie Run live with in a 200 mileish round trip ride from their homes. I am guessing that very few of these folks would ever contemplate attending a long distance Pie Run.

Another idea could be to set it up as part of a SS1k.
For example, the east and SE Tx crowd starts in Katy or Orange, ride to pie/lunch around Junction. Finish the 1k towards Midland by way of El Paso. Overnight and then head home the next day. This can leave the pie day on Saturday.

I'll wager that this will be treated with resounding enthusiasm (not). :trust:

Folks that throw a leg over and ride and ride and ride just for the sake of putting miles on the bike are few and far between on TWT. ;-)

BUT... (there's always a but, isn't there?) maybe one SS1K a year might be doable for some that are looking to get their first cert? Pie Town would certainly be a destination for something memorable as a destination.

EDIT: Houston via I-10, to I-25, to 60, to Pie Town is 1017 miles. 16.5 hours.
EDIT: Fut Wurth to San Antonio and then pick up the Houston group would be right at 1099 miles depending upon the start location.
If people were interested in doing this I'm sure there would be no shortage of witnesses available to sign the documentation on the starting end, and as long as I didn't have anything else going on that weekend I could be there to sign the ending witness forms. (if you ride together you can't sign each other's forms)

For those with a little time to kill, after pie they could ride over to Eager on Hwy 60 and then ride the Devil's Highway south to Safford. A ride of a lifetime if you've never been on it before.

EDIT: This could literally turn into a major RTE destination. Houston or DFW via San Antonio to Safford AZ is right at 1050 miles. Do this on a Friday. Overnight in Safford, then ride early Saturday morning up the Devil's Highway (191) to Eager, east on 60 to Pie Town for lunch, then down 12 to Reserve, pick up 180 S to Silver City. Overnight there if you want, or continue on to Deming, El Paso, and points east at your own discretion. Warning: riding through west Tejas at night is not for everyone. Mega deer population out there.

Last edited:
Funny thing, I saw my first deer in a looong time last night, except I was in my cage, driving on the north side of San Antonio, not much more than a mile away from 410.:brainsnap

Regarding camping, you don't even need camping equipment if the weather is good. Just be prepared to fend off the ravenous hoards of wild squirrels. :-)

the Adrian pie run had four members show up, two were from DFW area, Chuck and myself, the others that turned out a panhandle member rounded up.
the one person who lobbied for a run out there didn't show.

didn't matter to me, I enjoyed the long ride and had fun following Chuck all over the panhandle in search of court houses.

I am doing a run to Pie Town, New Mexico this year and just need the ok from the Boss's to make it a official bonus pie run.

was looking at doing it the second week in July but leaning towards moving it up to mid june.

EDIT: Houston via I-10, to I-25, to 60, to Pie Town is 1017 miles. 16.5 hours.

I will be there on the Wing next month, Feb 15th - 19th. Do you have a recommendation for purchasing and installing a rear tire (180/60R16) in the Phoenix area? Pie would be good too! League City to Phoenix 1238 miles, 18.4 hours. I am thinking I will stop overnight on the way though, but may be not ... hmmmm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back