• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

"The Oasis of my Soul"... A Lifelong Journey on the road...

Ara,
I'm glad to know you and Spirit are home safe now!

Yes, I was able to shoot a single food picture of the bbq 'boat' and some of the red cake. I will have those up on smugmug later this evening I hope, and I will point you to them. Please, feel free to grab what you would like and use as you see fit!

i-CbMmHbq-L.jpg

Roller Coaster Days... Austin, TX

I differ agreeing with some to the fact that my Journal can be controversial. I do agree with the fact if awaiting for a physical ride report, it is just not it. It can be very boring for the ones that search for such pages within the ones I have written. I think photos left untold can portray better than words. How many times could I have written “We rode 176 miles, stopped to eat a Cheeseburger and drunk a Coke, we got fueled up, the Sun was bright, the engine roared at over 100mph... and we almost hit a cow” and on and on... It is not. I simply think if it is the case, everyone is then on “controversial” as each of us are so uniquely molded to be who we are, do what we do and think how we think. There are not two alike individuals. It is what makes the Spice of this Life. Everyone has their own intricate path coming and going and everyone is riding this roller coaster we are on, up and down, fast and slow. I just happen to write as such for each turn of the wheels. Our wheels. That is about all so very plainly said. I run away from controversy, as fast as we can...
I always take away and remain with good memories as was our few days in Austin. I instantly went on overload mode, it went away. Outstanding hospitality, Friends taking us out on the town and foremost Ardys “One Million Mile” ridden Celebration at “Lone Star BMW” Dealer in conjunction with their Christmas Holiday Open House with such an incredible array of food.
Now back at “The Oasis” after a good old time ride, meaning cold, rain and fog, I am nursing this cold and sore throat! Everything comes to a halt... Spirit has to also endure my lethargic time for now.
Maybe too many photos on the Journal today!

Be well, always.

Ara and Spirit

i-Nk47sXB-L.jpg

A “Colorful” Christmas Week... TX

"Winter Soltice Day"... The shortest day of the Year, Sunrise in company of the Moon.

Wishing a very Merry Christmas to all our Friends, from Spirit and I, wishing for Life's path to smile on yours with much Health and Happiness as it should be.
It has been a trying week! Finally, a bit late but did it anyhow, a visit to the Dr ending up with a couple shots and much antibiotics which are barely doing now their job making me feel 3/5 human instead of none these past days. Enduring some bitter cold and even snow in Alpine, not happy with the heating solution anymore, something has to change, I know I am getting softer by the year and yet rare are these frozen nights and days.
I feel as these past times have been as a forced mental vacation flowing also on the physical side as efforts are just worthless. Sleep, read, try to eat... repeat! Poor Spirit did not get much of any enjoyment throughout his own days but I think he is happy having also done some catching up on his own sleep... I can hear him snoring right now, a nice and peaceful sound as probably he often hears me as such!
It is on to Terlingua today and have a meal with some good Friends, it is nice and nicer to have access to driving a car!!! I do have a big smile behind the steering wheel when the conditions are this rough. Like a kid driving for the first time... I remember those days.
Enjoy the black and white photos on this “Colorful Christmas”!... stay safe.

Be well, always.

Ara and Spirit

Merry Christmas Ara and Spirit. Enjoy the day.

Great shot of Spirit on the tree trunk. Did you post the final photo upside down for a reason?

Last edited:
LOve it all!!! Thanks... :clap:

i-cq4CtTd-L.jpg

Strings attached or not?... Texas.

No week is ever alike, and neither not a single day or hour or minute for that matter as forward is always the constant motion, the non changeable common denominator of our Lives. The ones of 2011 somehow are passing by me as a fast forward reel, every frame inducing such mixed emotions and yet, encompassing past Health issues, mechanical ones, here we are... all well, only missing to hear that 12th ring of the clock with my so much missed Lance. It stuns me always. The motion thought of how did this all happen? A mystery I try to not rebel against anymore, the always “bitter-sweet” thoughts. “My “Gratitude” emerges as learned these past Years. It is a must as to not sink in into a space where I was on the first curves of this Journey of ours. I have so many to “Thank” for. Spirit “my shadow” and the extension of my being here “now”, my many Friends and their incredible support always myself hoping I am worthy of their embrace, Mother Nature having been kind to us even on her days of dark and cold and somber days. Our complete surrounding as it is always “what it is” I bow to with much acceptance.

This past week has been cooking a private dinner mixed with a slide show and some videos played, some of our experiences, spaces we have lived on. It has been rewarding. So much so I would love to offer more of those and share as such with others throughout the Country we criss cross. It has been a Doctor's visit finally and much medicine to get over this non sense of a bronchitis. Letters from another Traveler questioning his own Journey and my replies... Never a dull moment.
Wishing you all the Best and Happy and Healthy upcoming new 2012 Year...
Be well, always.

Ara and Spirit

I read about your Canon cameras and the repairs performed for free by Canon on your blog. I am about to replace the 2nd defective Samsung for my daughter. After your story I will try to make it a Canon product.

I read about your Canon cameras and the repairs performed for free by Canon on your blog. I am about to replace the 2nd defective Samsung for my daughter. After your story I will try to make it a Canon product.

They have been really service oriented. Not only the 5D's but I had a G-11 with a bad habit of grabbing the camera by the lens closure... since the distance from the lens closure to the lens is so minimal, I end scratching that lens 3 times and Canon replaced it... even though my error. I end up returning it the third time and exchange it for a S-95 which is an incredible little camera... They have the S-100 now...

Be well... Ara and Spirit

I'm impressed that you're using a "point & shoot" for those beautiful pictures. So many folks seem to think you need lots of high-$ equipment to get shots like that. I went for the baby Leica D-Lux 4 a few years ago and couldn't be happier. I'm no great photog but these show what that little "point n' shoot" is capable of (no post processing).

L1010579.jpg

L1010656.jpg

L1010732-1.jpg

I think I might have explained myself wrongly... I do use a S-95 but only for the close up shots like food or otherwise. It would never compare to the 5D Mark II Canon that I use with a 16~35 2.8 "L" lens. It is a full frame camera.

i-w4JXqzX-L.jpg

And which “Face” should we wear? Texas

The Journal is some paragraphs I wrote over the course of the week leading to New Year's Day. The end of the Year brings on many thoughts as I am sure with everyone, it brings the streamline of the outstanding episodes of months past. Maybe some resolutions are taken, maybe not? Forward momentum is always a good one. Terlingua, mainly the Porch, was an entertaining and kind space for us to spend the Eve and the Day back to back. Much Music, many Friends, Dogs running everywhere, the black-eye pea cook off with again more Music, the best decision for us escaping the sometimes too much solitude of this time of the year. All that chatting with familiar faces and new ones never met before made me think about our reach with each other. For lack of better word, I used “face”. It came to me because we are who we are so deeply spending time projecting our “inner” face, when alone, when “riding” as far as concerning myself, but I am sure for others when driving, sailing and more. And why so have the “proper” face when with Friends... why not be “truly” who we are all the time, speaking freely always from the Heart. I know, all this might be so complicated, but in reality is not... as someone wrote "People are always telling me that I let folks “know too much” about me…but I feel that I am who I am…".
Enjoy the Videos, it was some real good Music and good People...

Be well. Ara and Spirit

i-QcbnKSF-L.jpg

1,895 or so Days later, my 700th Journal entry. TX

All is a bit overwhelming when I think of so many taking a week off or maybe two, barely enough time to taste what the Road offers. It is overwhelming to feel as we have just left and yet such time has passed on. It does not seem time means anything anymore, only the "moment" does, "now".
A huge Gift came our way a couple days ago in the form of an incredible time while riding Big Bend National Park. That's Texas. I knew the moments leading to Sunset were going to be spectacular. Cloud formations of all shapes and colors played incessantly in turmoil and at times calm as on cue for each minute passed. “Sotol Look Out” was were I wanted us to be when those final moments took place, when finally through myriads of hues of reds and crimson and magentas and so much more splashed against the skies background.
One of those Days again which will remain forever in the pages of my own memory and one I share here and on the Journal with the photos taken, and a video.

The game of repacking has already started. Not a strange fact that we are going West instead of East, again! And who knows truly which direction we will go. Nothing written in stone till we pull out. Whatever feels good and right, that is the key encompassing the quality of the moment and not quite as much the destination or it's quantity.

Congrats on the milestone, Ara. We always look forward to your updates. Nice to see you get some publicity on the FB Iron Butt Magazine page too.

Congrats on the milestone, Ara. We always look forward to your updates. Nice to see you get some publicity on the FB Iron Butt Magazine page too.

Thank You! I had not seen that... How can someone keep up with all that!!! Have to pay attention to the Road... and Mr Spirit

Ara and Spirit

Thank You! I had not seen that... How can someone keep up with all that!!! Have to pay attention to the Road... and Mr Spirit

Ara and Spirit

I "liked" their FB page a while back so it shows up when they post a comment/video/photo/etc. They don't update it very often so you don't get inundated with stuff. They have some outstanding photos on their pages.

For example...
378855_10150444282308532_215472378531_8296319_198227986_n.jpg

Last edited:
That is outstanding! Thank You...

i-3ccrxk6-L.jpg

We will be escaping the January Blues... TX

I am writing these lines already from Las Cruces, New Mexico, where parked for a couple nights at some Dear Friends Home going over some maps of the State and... eating good food! Spirit is playing with Luca, Guy and Jones! You have never seen four dogs as such having the time of their lives. “The Oasis” is behind us. Took a while to pack as we are trailering “Old Faithful” with “Sherpa”, a new set of logistics, a bit odd for us, strange and yet comfortable for these winter times as expecting to hit some snow and bad weather. It sure was nice yesterday morning to drive away in freezing temperatures with the heater on and some tunes carrying us away toward this destination. The last days in Texas where spend with much mechanical preparations, new tire, oil change, this and that while going over the machines that will carry us these coming couple months till we return for even more mechanical aspects on “Old Faithful” early April, changing the rear main engine seal before the oil sippage reaches the clutch! Before it turns into a leak.
Very exciting times, it was a must to get away from the too much comfort those few acres left behind where providing us, it is a mental must to experience new spaces as we are going to...
The Journal says it all.

Hi Ara, good to see You and Spirit over here!
I just joined this site this week.
Hope to meet You one of these days, , remember You always have a place to stay, and a shop if needed, when You are near the Panhandle. (Donson from the Cafe)

Hi Ara, good to see You and Spirit over here!
I just joined this site this week.
Hope to meet You one of these days, , remember You always have a place to stay, and a shop if needed, when You are near the Panhandle. (Donson from the Cafe)

Panhandle? Where is that?...

i-4FpQjRM-L.jpg

From the “Three Rivers Petroglyphs” site... NM

I think I have seen this Photo in a Magazine. Something about it I like. This whole area is to be liked, this above included within the White Dunes National Monument where we spend the whole day going around and around awaiting an incredible Sunset as the clouds filled the skies to no end. Not quite cold yet, the nights are and wondering how far North we will push. Slowly getting into getting use to such temperatures as I know we have seen nothing dramatic yet. Maybe a mild winter it will be. New Mexico! I always wonder when in a new space why we have never been here? Time and the fashion we travel or more likely live on the road with no schedule and limitations, the days passing by, decisions taken only when a fork is present. Luck again was on our side discovering this isolated BLM Campground only yards away from over 20,000 Petroglyphs and a dirt road into the Sacramento Mountains. We will be here for a while, “a while” having no definition for us...
Enjoy the centuries old “tablets” as I have been calling them. I think they are the original I-Pads!

Be well... Always.
Ara and Spirit

i-Wj54mcR-L.jpg

“Gotta' Keep Movin' on” . NM

Camping at “Three Rivers”, New Mexico, has only been the tip of the iceberg. This great gifted State we have never quite explored before however is still in it's cold state of mind with shorter days increasing the logistical difficulties. Maybe not difficulties, only the discipline getting back to camp for some dinner cooking, feeding Spirit before darkness prevails. Ah! Just short days...
Besides the many branched out unpaved roads present, a single area with over 20,000 Petroglyphs, a little Church at the bottom of the adjacent Mountains where we spend the day on Lance's Eight year passing away Anniversary, one of the main highlights has been the White Sands Dunes National Monuments. Wishing we could have stayed there for days even if the winds sandblasted us and yet having enough reprise to take some photos of the area on a day so lucky with the skies filled with clouds.
A couple entries, has been quiet times, painful on January 26th, another year ahead of us to confront and stay strong. Thank you for your support...

Be well... Always.
Ara and Spirit

Ara and Spirit: We think of you often and keep you in our prayers. Your latest journal entry was especially heartwarming to me as I grew up in Albuquerque and put many thousands of miles on my little 150cc scooter. In fact, you have been to many places I did not get a chance to see before moving away. Someday.....................

Ara and Spirit: We think of you often and keep you in our prayers. Your latest journal entry was especially heartwarming to me as I grew up in Albuquerque and put many thousands of miles on my little 150cc scooter. In fact, you have been to many places I did not get a chance to see before moving away. Someday.....................

Make it sooner than later...

i-9GJSCch-L.jpg

Fort Stanton. Ghost Town. NM.

It seems as throughout our wanderings, there is always a harsher reality when the Human element has come into play with the space we are planted on. Such was the case while in Fort Stanton, New Mexico. It was as instantly Mother Nature gave away what could have just been rolling hills and a landscape so inviting while on the way. Buildings after buildings, now unoccupied, vestiges of past History, only the winds of a different pitch were the sounds of what was once filled with voices of Human presence. I read the words and pages of such History and can only find an unfairness of past acts, I know of a touchy subject, maybe taboo for most, and yet without personally much comprehension on how such greed has lead to such times. “Riding”, “The Road”... all are such incredible sources of constant thoughts, it is when they enter the mind and the thinking goes on and on, so much so I can only pull over to write them down with always the fear I will forget, or better often dictate as the memory can linger and loose them, loose the correlation between my own present time and those words making their way, jumping in some sort expressing their own reality. Yes, Fort Stanton is worth the visit. You can read about how it made me feel, maybe your own take will be different.
Be well... Always.
Ara and Spirit

i-4jXPdKW-L.jpg

Mystified in Death Valley, NV.

This time around we are here for about a month as already a week has passed. Fast it goes within this incredibly immense stage. Stage which is also the death of any kind of Internet connection, it is Nature and us and some unseasonably warm weather. Some nice clouds here and there, sunrises ans sunsets always a treat while cooking dinner in the open air, nothing like it. Yet, the space has been a bit intimidating. As I see groups riding, driving, I feel as being by ourselves a bit more caution is a must around here. Point A to point B is always a lot of miles and even though we have a SPOT and a SAT phone with the local numbers (911 from a SAT phone goes to New Jersey!) and it has taken me a bit to absorb what this area is all about. A winter in Death Valley! Thinking snow and cold as our previous short trips here, instead mid seventies every day... Good Karma!
Enjoy the Photos...
There will be more as we are able to connect.

www.theoasisofmysoul.com The Journal
www.beemerchef.smugmug.com The Photos
www.store.theoasisofmysoul.com The Recipes

www.printfection.com/spiritedoasis T-Shirts and more

5 years, the Stars, living under them…

i-3N5JkLb-L.jpg

Imperfect Perfection. Death Valley. CA

If nothing else we have joined the mile marker "Tea Kettle" en route for the "Racetrack". Yet, there is much more when one has the chance to spend camping a few nights in that desolate space. It feels "way out there" and it is. No light pollution, a few tourists throughout the day a couple miles away, coming in and getting out as fast as they did. Sometimes I don't know why they bother, some not even removing their helmets or a quick window down and up, quick photo and back to where they came from. Mystery.
Spirit had a blast on the Playa which reminded me a bit of the "salt flats" only smaller. One on one, closer we have become. There is a promised certitude of not leaving such a space being the same person inside out. Changes happen as it has happened. It has been a space like no other I must say leaving me to often speechless throughout the time spend.
The "Racetrack" will become as "Valley of the Gods" have, most likely a once a year pilgrimage.
More photos on the Journal...

Be well, Ara and Spirit.

Excellent! :clap:

Do you have some insight as to the moving rocks? What causes them to move and the "s" patterns they seem to like?

Very interesting and nicely captured!

Back