• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

DAL/FTW: Friday Night Ice Cream Bikes, 6:30 PM

Ha, you're pulling our legs right? :rofl: KLR's hardly have front brakes, much less rear ones.

Honestly? No, I'm not.

I can do stoppies with the front now. It's working better than I expected.

And once I get the back sorted out it will slide the back tire at will.
Or at least that's what I expect it to do.

Like I said, sport bike braking on a KLR! Or as close to it as I can get.

Honestly? No, I'm not.

I can do stoppies with the front now. It's working better than I expected.

And once I get the back sorted out it will slide the back tire at will.
Or at least that's what I expect it to do.

Like I said, sport bike braking on a KLR! Or as close to it as I can get.

So where do we buy tickets for a ride?

Curtis, don't be holding out all your secrets now. Fill us in on the details. Or better yet sign me up for your second test subject.

If there is enough interest I'm thinking of going into production of the brackets for the new calipers by having them laser cut. Some of the guys and I on the KLR Foruim have figured out a way to put on front SV 650 dual piston calipers on the 1st gen KLR's. Most of them are only using the left caliper on the KLR front fork. But I'm working on using the right front caliper on the rear of my 06. These calipers can be had for around $20 for the left. I got lazy and bought both the left and right front calipers for $29.00 off of E Bay. I've got it on and plumbed, but my old Master Cylinder was toast, so I'm having to rebuild it before I can finish my tests.

FYI the second Gen KLR's use dual piston calipers that look exackly like the SV's.

Cheap! and Effective! A win win!
I an KLR manner of speaking. :)

If there is enough interest I'm thinking of going into production of the brackets for the new calipers by having them laser cut. Some of the guys and I on the KLR Foruim have figured out a way to put on front SV 650 dual piston calipers on the 1st gen KLR's. Most of them are only using the left caliper on the KLR front fork. But I'm working on using the right front caliper on the rear of my 06. These calipers can be had for around $20 for the left. I got lazy and bought both the left and right front calipers for $29.00 off of E Bay. I've got it on and plumbed, but my old Master Cylinder was toast, so I'm having to rebuild it before I can finish my tests.

FYI the second Gen KLR's use dual piston calipers that look exackly like the SV's.

Cheap! and Effective! A win win!
I an KLR manner of speaking. :)

So the calipers were the weak link in KLR braking. What parts did you have to make to get this to work? A new bracket? Its an interesting project.

Well since i've got to go get ready for church I'll just post up a link to our thread on the subject and you guys can read up on it for yourselves.

Like I said I'm working researching the rears for mine still. And have permission from the OP to produce these if there's a market. I have two orders for fronts so far.
If there's enough interest I'll have the brackets professionally cut with a laser cutter. But you can make your own if you have the tooling and skills!

http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=99914

if you guys would just show up all your questions would have been answered allready!! Dale has done the mega brake mod already and was on it last friday.

Turn out was better tonight. Great to meet the additional faces.

Sent from my VZW Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

And I managed to make it home with two fountain sodas in my backpack and didn't spill a drop! :)

Good to meet some more people this time. Don't be offended if I have to meet you all a couple more times before I remember all your names...:doh:

And I managed to make it home with two fountain sodas in my backpack and didn't spill a drop! :)

Hmm I don't think I would have done that in a thousand years. Bottles yes, but fountains? That must have been a very very careful ride home lol

Sent from my VZW Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

:lol2:

I do this all the time, because I work near a McD's with their cheap $1 fountain sodas... I only fill the drink like 7/8ths full, with a lid, wrap it in one of their plastic to-go bags, and wedge the drink upright in my backpack using my raingear that's always in there. Zip up, try not to lean TOO far in turns and by the time I get to my destination only a little has spilled into the bag.

It was easier coming from Burger Box because they gave me a cardboard drinkholder too! :sun::rider:

...But enough about my mad beverage-carrying skillz!

I hope to be able to make it out tonight. I just need to get my battery in and hopefully charged soon enough otherwise it may take bribery and pleading to get the GF to ride the 50cc Zuma across town with me.

On a related note, are there any special concerns to watch out for when jump starting a bike from another bike or it is pretty much identical to a car? I ask because I've never found someone strong enough or persistent enough to help me push start my bike when an electrical issue rears its head.

Think bike-to-bike with the bike with the good battery off, is OK.

car-to-bike is OK as long as the car is off. They have heftier batteries anyway. Cars have different charging systems and can toast a bike's electrical system if running.

Yep, what Chuck said. Bike to bike is fine, bike to car make sure the car is off.

I'm planning on making it out tonight. Might have my tall friend and her daughter with me.

My youngest son has been bugging me for two weeks to bring him up there. I'm going to try and make it tonight, studying can wait a few more hours.

I have a new battery! I should be able to make it out on my big boy bike if I can get enough charge in it between getting home and 7pm or so.

New batteries will reach up to 70% charge during activation when you put the acid solution in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will try to make it out for a scoop of ice cream if I get home from work in time to load up the dirt bike for tomorrow. If not, I'll have to try for next week.

Back