• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Fort Worth - Broken Bow - Talimena Byway

Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Gill
I report for my new job at Bell Helicopter on April 30, and I really wanted to make a short motorcycle trip this week, as next week I'll be on Baby Duty. I originally planned to ride to Mena via the Talimena trail yesterday, spend the night, and ride back today. But the weather looked nasty for today, and those roads just wouldn't be fun in the rain. So I made it partway and back in one day.

Here's the route, except I took a short jaunt around Beaver's Bend Park:
http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=H...cWBlhKhjFJ89MvZgm5yQ&mra=ls&via=2,5,7&t=m&z=8

Getting out of Dodge was tough. I left about 6:00 AM. Should have done it a little earlier. But things were easy once I got onto 121. I looked for a nice little cafe for breakfast, but ended up at a Braum's in Bonham. Eminently forgettable. It got a lot cooler as I got close to Bonham, but the weather overall was great.

I didn't take a lot of pics, as there never seems to be a good place to stop without getting run over. I did stop at a "park" outside Paris. This marker was there. The park was about the size of a driveway turnaround.
LamarCounty.jpg

This was on FM 195, I think. That was a great little road, highly recommended. It's not really twisty, but curves enough to make it interesting, and was lined with flowering dogwood and honeysuckle. The smell of dogwood was everywhere on this trip.
TheRoad.jpg

Beaver's Bend is a gorgeous park on a beautiful little lake. Really made me wish I had brought my fly rod.
The spillway:
BeaversBendSpillway.jpg

River running out of the spillway:
BeaversBendRiver.jpg

The lake and some islands:
BeaversBendIslands.jpg

I loved the rock formation on the shore here:
BeaversBendRocks.jpg

289 north from Broken Bow was really a great road. Scenic, good surface, enough curves to make it fun, lots of hills.

I turned west on the Talimena Byway and very quickly ran into vistas like this:
P1070188.jpg

TalimenaByway2.jpg

TalimenaByway1.jpg

P1070183.jpg

P1070174.jpg

I really couldn't take many shots of the road itself, as I have not mastered the art of snapping pics while riding. here's one from a turnout:
OntheByway.jpg

And here's a sign on the Shawnee Ridge Overlook:
ShawneeRidge.jpg

271 coming back south was nice, too, and I probably should have stayed on it south of Talihina instead of peeling off at Clayton. But the road I took (OK 2) was also nice.

Coming home was mainly a repeat of heading out. The winds were now out of the south, and I got battered pretty good by the time I parked the bike. I timed it just right to hit rush hour in the MetroMess, too. One piece of advice: If you need gas on the 121 tollway, don't get off on Spring Valley. I had to ride 6 or 7 miles down Spring Valley to find a station. Then when I got back on 121 there was a station at the next exit.

Finally, a graphic illustration of why I have a windscreen:
WhyIhaveaWindscreen.jpg

Congrats on the new job and great job with the pix. 400 miles for all that ain't bad. I love that part of OK (bought property there) and Arkansas. Looking forward to another visit.

One of my favorite rides. Looks like you had a good time. Here's a couple of pictures from the early '80s. Windshild technology hasn't changed in 30 years. Why should it, the bugs haven't changed.

Wierd clouds flowing out of the valley on the right and into the valley on the left. Their velicity looked around 40 MPH>
lastonesbeforeslides0046.jpg

Our 1980 850 Yamaha triple and my wife.
lastonesbeforeslides0045.jpg

Awesome pictures! I love my airhead, but I do miss my 1980 XS850 - nothing smoother! :rider:

That is a great ride. I am itching to go back. Lots of great scenery in Oklahoma. Thanks for the report.

That was my first time there, and I'll be back.

My trip total was 570 miles. The map shows only back to Paris, and I took a couple of little side trips. 570 miles with DFW on either end is a bit too long . . .

There's a nice NF campground right at the east end of the road, south of Heavener. Next time I'm there, though, I plan to check out the state park.

I know that park marker. 1st wife was from Powderly and that little bump in the road was one of her favorite make out spots.

If only I had know how expensive that would become...................

Back