• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Be careful out there.

Reaction score
First Name
John
Last Name
Collins
Kim and I were hit by a Dodge Caravan today while out on our motorcycles.

We had just come to a stop behind a line of cars at a stop light and I was looking over at Kim to tell her we would be turning right at the next light. Her bike suddenly shot forward and into the rear of the Ford Expedition ahead of us. The minivan had hit her and as I saw this happening it's front bumper clipped my left leg and tossed me off my bike. I jumped up and immediately was scared to death. The front bumper of the minivan was only 18 inches away from the rear bumper of the Expedition. Kim's ZR-7S had been shoved under and out on the left rear corner of the SUV. I wasn't able to see Kim and my ridiculous temper began to take over. Fortunately, Kim had been tossed over the driver's side of the hood and landed to the side of the minivan and was apparently okay. She was taken to the hospital where it was determined that she was injury free less some bumps, bruises, and minor sprains. I'm sure she'll be very sore in the morning. Being the stubborn bum that I am, I refused medical care. I have a decent little bruise on my calf, but nothing of any note.

Thank God we had all our gear on.

Here's some crappy pics to show the damage all the typical scuffs scratches and a bunch of busted stuff. The ZR-7S held up surprisingly well....I guess that 530 lbs dry weight makes for a sturdy bike. The police estimated that the speed of the minivan was between 35-40mph at point of impact.
DSCF0042.jpg

DSCF0041.jpg

55a6b058.jpg

1f8a1772.jpg

DSCF0015.jpg

DSCF0005.jpg

You can see that the wheel had a chunk blown out of it from impact.
DSCF0003.jpg

DSCF0002.jpg

DSCF0013.jpg

DSCF0009.jpg

She had just gone over 7k on this bike and we were 4 miles into a fresh tank of gas each when we got hit.
DSCF0016.jpg

Here's the damage to the Z1000.
Busted rearset, typical case scuffs/scratches from a dump, tweaked forks, destroyed mirror, and the Muzzy exhaust was bent inward causing the rear caliper bolt to gouge the carbon fiber can. The crappy part of all of this is that i had just replaced the triples on this bike to straighten out the bent ones that it came with.
DSCF0044.jpg

DSCF0031.jpg

DSCF0027.jpg

DSCF0026.jpg

DSCF0025.jpg

DSCF0023.jpg

DSCF0022.jpg

DSCF0020.jpg

Glad no one was hurt more seriously! That could have been a VERY nasty accident.

Big thanks go out to my home skillet, Markopolean(igo-wfo) for being ready and willing to come help us out with his fleet of blue Dodge Ram's. Thanks again to you and Lisa, good buddy.

I am glad the both of you were not hurt any worse
That is scary glad its only bikes they can be replaced

Man,,, Glad to hear yall are ok!!!!!!!!!! I cannot imagine how you felt when you initially could not see Kim.

Yeep, This is my #1 fear I think while riding in traffic, somebody smackin' in to you from behind.
It's sad you cannot let your guard down even for a nanosecond because this can happen.

It's double bad when it happens to your friends.

We were talking after the fact and the subject of attempted helmet removal by well meaning but sometimes otherwise clueless witnesses, and I was wondering where I could get some of the "don't take my lid off unless you are a trauma doctor" type stickers. :shame:

After hearing Kim tell me about the numerous offers from folks to take hers off at the scene, I want to get some on my lid ASAP in case I am in a situation where I might not be able to tell them to not try and remove my helmet.

I am glad as well that no-one was seriously hurt as well.

A round of Advil is on me.. :chug:

Amazingly here is the extent of my injuries...

Scraped my right knee under my jeans.
DSCF0046.jpg

Got a nice bruise/knot on my left arm.
DSCF0049.jpg

I will be getting a new hemmet too, the Scorpion did it's job :thumb:
DSCF0018.jpg

It was just chaotic after it happened, I was on the ground and wouldn't get up, so many people were trying to check me out and see if I was seriously injured. I had to finally tell people to back off and they were crowding me.

Here's a few conversations I had through the course of the event.

Bystander #1: (Talking to someone calling 911) Tell them this guy is down.
Me: Ma'am, I'm female thank you.
Bystander #1: Oh, female, it's hard to tell.
Me: (Thinking to myself - I have BOOBS and a long braided ponytail, duh!)

Bystander #2: What's your name?
Me: Kim
Bystander #2: How old are you?
Me: 27
Bystander #2: Are you hurting anywhere?
Me: No, I think I'm ok.
Bystander #2: Let's get your helmet off.
Me: No, I don't want it taken off.
Bystander #2: But you said you're ok, let's get it off. (And proceeds to reach for my helmet.)
Me: Yes, and I will take my helmet off AT THE HOSPITAL.

The EMTs check me out and ask if I want to go to the hospital, I say yes because I landed on my head. They said "You seem ok, you sure you want to go to the hospital?". UH, YEAH! :doh:

I'm in the hospital and the EMTs are telling the nurses that I was stopped and fell off my bike. When the nurse comes over to me, she feels my arm and says "You don't look hurt." I tell her I HAD ALL MY GEAR ON!!! She says "Oh".

I tell her I didn't fall off my bike, that my bike is most likely totalled and I was EJECTED off my bike, I didn't just fall off. :roll:

I have NEVER had such bad customer service as this, they made me feel like I was wrong for wanting to go to the hospital. I was frustrated that I was questioned THREE times on if I REALLY wanted to go, like it was a hassle. I was just hit by a frickin' van, yes, I want to go to the hospital....my head hurts...I landed on it you idiots.

I had to tell one EMT my drug allergies THREE times because he was too busy making jokes with the other EMT. The guy asking about my allergies had no idea what one of the medicines I was allergic to was and one of the nurses had to explain it to him....when they put my allergies bracelet on me, one was SPELLED WRONG.

I saw the doctor for about a WHOLE 3 minutes, and he was on the phone for 2 of them. They did x-rays of my head but sent me home without explaining anything to me or showing them to me.

I do NOT recommend the Huguley Medical Center, the longer trip to Harris Methodist might have been worth it.

Mucho thanks to Mark (igo-wfo) and Lisa, without them Squidward and I would have been stranded.

:eek2:

Glad you guys are OK! Did the driver of the van require medical attention after the fact? :box:

I was in a potential rear-ending situation a couple of weeks ago. I was turning right into my neighborhood and checked my mirrors (as I usually do) only to see a van barreling toward me without slowing down. I had my turn signal on and there was a car waiting to turn from the street I was entering. I had to go WOT and miss my turn to keep from being hit. Luckily the turning driver didn't pull out or it would have been pretty nasty.

Now Kim has a reason to get the 749 Dark. :rider:

*ETA* And John just got his steering all sorted out!

I was thinking that i need to put a deposit on a D675

They had 2 at the shop but I think they are both sold. Also, I think the 749 Dark is gone. I didn't see it in the showroom.

Wow, Glad ya'll are in good enough shape to post up about it. You are sure to be sore tomorrow...

Now, I hope they arrested that jerk. Any clue as to why he/she was so clueless?

I hope that you can sort this all out.

Kudos to Mark & Lisa for the help...

Gilk51 said:
Wow, Glad ya'll are in good enough shape to post up about it. You are sure to be sore tomorrow...

Now, I hope they arrested that jerk. Any clue as to why he/she was so clueless?

I hope that you can sort this all out.

Kudos to Mark & Lisa for the help...
She wasn't arrested, but she was certainly shaken up. I kind of felt bad for her....I can't imagine how it would feel to realize that your moment of inattention/impatience almost cost the lives of two fellow humans.

Tourmeister said:
Glad no one was hurt more seriously! That could have been a VERY nasty accident.

Indeed!

Glad y'all are both OK. The bike can be repaired/replaced easily but repairing/replacing humans is harder and more costly.

I hate crashing.:angryfire

749 and Daytona 675, huh? There's a bright, shiny silver lining in this cloud! :-D

It's good to hear that you're both alive and well and in good spirits. Hope you bought lottery tickets today, 'cause your luck has peaked somewhere off the scale.

scratch said:
749 and Daytona 675, huh? There's a bright, shiny silver lining in this cloud! :-D

It's good to hear that you're both alive and well and in good spirits. Hope you bought lottery tickets today, 'cause your luck has peaked somewhere off the scale.

I'm living the lotto lifestyle y'all!

The kid that hit me gave me the oppportunity to see something different. Please get a lawyer NOW!!!

:eek2: Glad you guys are alright (relatively) that just plain stinks!!

As far as the non-service at Huguley, I personally know the director of the hospital, if you want I could probably get you contact info if you'd like to complain.

Heal up quick!!

tx-vfr said:
As far as the non-service at Huguley, I personally know the director of the hospital, if you want I could probably get you contact info if you'd like to complain.

Would they buy me a bike for all my troubles there? :mrgreen:

Honestly there was one girl there that was great through the whole thing. I was laying on the hospital bed and Squidward and igo-wfo were sitting next to me and she comes in and says "Ok, who was it that hit you?" :lol2: A few minutes later she comes back with a police officer who said "Which one did I need to arrest ma'am?" and Squidward and igo-wfo pointed at each other. :rofl:

It's nice to know that even though you don't show signs of major injury someone is still going to try and help you, unlike the rest of the people that were there.

If it would be worth the complaint and they would learn a lesson I would love to submit a complaint, it felt like they were all disappointed I didn't come in bloody and battered.

Another surprise of mine was that so many people were amazed to see a jacket with armor built in....I know, probably most of their bike wrecks they see are either cruisers w/ no gear or squids w/ no gear. :roll:

Man, I'm sorry to hear this, but glad everyone is relatively OK. As far as EMS goes, find out who provided the service, contact their headquarters and file a complaint about lack of assessment, refusal of transport, and any other concerns you have. If that doesn't help, file with the state http://www.tdh.state.tx.us/hcqs/ems/Qihome.htm That is unacceptable, uncompassionate and unprofessional behavior on the part of the EMS crew and their employer. Are there any pictures taken of the scene as part of the investigation? If so those will help.

The correct answer to the "why do you want to go to the hospital" question is "Because you get paid the same whether you are providing professional services to me or sitting on your rear end at the station watching reruns of Emergency".

Last edited:
Whoa, very glad everyone made it through that ok. I was nearly hit by a van yesterday too. Brakes, horn, high beam - when I passed him he still didn't look like he even knew I was there. Kudos to the folks that came out and helped you out, I definitely know what it's like to be stranded and have people drive by like you don't exist. I'm trying to put the PFC that did stop and help us in for a Soldier's Medal.

Emergency Medical Services

The Burleson Fire Department provides Advanced Life Support Services for our citizens. In addition to basic first aid, bandaging and splinting, and CPR, our service includes the capability of intravenous (I.V.) therapy and airway intubations. The department also carries automatic defibrillators. The fire department has a total of 20 Emergency Medical Technicians, 10 Emergency Medical Technician Intermediates, and 7 Paramedics that provide our emergency medical service. MedStar provides ambulance transport.

Looks like Burleson FD is the culprit, assuming this happened on home turf. Change the movie to Backdraft in the previous post.

From Fire Chief Gary A. Wisdom.....

I would like to take this opportunity to welcome you to the Burleson Fire Department's web page. I sincerely hope that you will find it interesting, informative, and gain an understanding of our emergency and non-emergency operations.

Our mission is to improve the quality of life and the safety of our citizens by managing the outcomes of fire, rescue, medical, and environmental incidents through the effective provision of public fire education, code enforcement, and emergency response service.
The Burleson Fire Department understands that every contact, including ourselves, are our valued customers. The Burleson Fire Department will strive to provide excellent customer service in each of our service areas. These service areas include fire administration, fire suppression, community services, emergency medical services, and training. Our customer contact in each of these areas will be legal, ethical, and right for our customers.

The Burleson Fire Department wants you to understand, as one of our valued customers, what we do. We also want to know what you think we can do better in the future. We hope that you will tell others of your experience and help spread the news that the Burleson Fire Department is one of the best around.

Thank you,

Gary A. Wisdom
Fire Chief

Give Gary a call. :rofl:

Last edited:
Actually we were hit in Crowley, I didn't get to see hardly anything, I never saw what hit us, all I was able to see was the corner of the bumper of the Expedition.

Squidward might be able to help me figure out more schtuff :mrgreen:

We should be getting the popo report tomorrow...and dropping the Z from our insurance. :tears:

(Man, my left side is flippin' sore today........ice cream might help, hehe!)

Glad you two are okay...as said, bikes can be replaced.

I've been rear-ended in cars seven times, twice the third car in five-car pileups on Mopac. All happened while stopped, either at lights, stop signs or in traffic.

I'm REAL paranoid while sitting on the bike stopped.

Again, glad you can complain!

Back