• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Trip from Russellville, AR to Katy TX

Reaction score
We flew out of Houston, TX to Little Rock, AR to take delivery of our new Goldwing on Friday. Honda of Russellville picked us up at the airport and drove us back to the dealership to take delivery. These people are great! It was truly a nice sales experience. The temperature was 105+ by the time we were on it and off to our first destination point in Hot Springs, AR. We drove down AR-7 to get there. It was a scorcher. My wife was miserable and dehydrated by the time we reached Ola, AR. We stopped in at the Conoco there and started pouring water down her and putting ice bags on her after she had been the A/C for a while. As luck would have it we had no cell service there. The people there were so, nice and let us use their cell phone so we could call her friend in Hot Springs and let her know what was going on. They kept checking on my wife to make sure she was doing OK. Her friend drove up from Hot Spring and she rode back there in her car and I followed on the Goldwing. As luck would have it, there had been a small front that had moved through and cooled things down dramatically. No big deal, she got a chance to catch up with her friend. AR-7 from Russellville to Hot Springs is a VERY fun road. Very scenic and LOTS of turns WOO HOO!! We did some sight seeing and went to bed at a decent time so we could get up early and make good time without battling the heat. We stayed at the Park Hotel. It’s was built back in the 1920’s and still has all the character of a hotel of it’s time. Definitely a no frills hotel but, very nostalgic.

DSCN3150.jpg

DSCN3151.jpg

DSCN3163.jpg

DSCN3167.jpg

DSCN3170.jpg

DSCN3172.jpg

DSCN3189.jpg

We got up early Saturday and continued down AR-7 to I-30 and exited in Hope, AR on AR-27 south. We got caught in a lightning storm about 10 minutes south of Hope,AR and pulled over to an abandoned gas station in Canfield, AR to seek refuge. We waited about 2 hours before the rain and lightning had let up enough to continue south into Louisiana. Unfortunately the Honda dealership we bought the bike from had a poor selection of raingear and sizes so we were braving it without. When we came across the first Walmart we stopped and bought the cheap Coleman Rainsuits. They worked very well IMO. We traveled mostly on LA-3, LA-2, LA-1 until we connected with TX-7 west to Nacogdoches, TX. Right about the time we got to Texas the rain had stopped and the sun was out so we stopped to take off the rain gear. Our next stop was the Brick House Inn B&B. The place was built back in the late 1800’s and located on a steep hill. The entrance will definitely test your skills on hills and elevation changes. The owners are great people. They are a shining example of typical Texas southern hospitality and charm and they like bikers. We chose to freshen up and take the short walk to dinner at the Clear Springs Restaurant. We ate until the world looked level and walked back to the B&B. The place is so peaceful and relaxing. We went to bed early and had such a great nights sleep. Breakfast was great and they spent some time visiting with us.

DSCN3195.jpg

DSCN3196.jpg

DSCN3197.jpg

DSCN3198.jpg

DSCN3200.jpg

DSCN3203.jpg

DSCN3204.jpg

Sunday we were up early and back on TX-7 to TX-21. We took the FM roads home to Katy,TX from there. 583 miles totaled traveled. The wife and I were comfortable the whole way. We met several nice people and got to see lots of things we have never seen before. It’s weekends like this that makes me feel so good that I wish it didn’t have to end.

DSCN3214.jpg

DSCN3215.jpg

DSCN3219.jpg

DSCN3221.jpg

DSCN3227.jpg

DSCN3233.jpg

DSCN3235.jpg

DSCN3240.jpg

yep Russellville Honda is a great dealership. I used to trade there quite often when I lived in Arkansas, and the new store is a very nice dealership as well.

One of those dealerships that remembers that they are there for the customers not the only way around.

BEAUTIFUL!!

your hole up & wait the storm out decisions were right on target

we should never be in such a hurry that we commit stupidity...

& now you have rain suits that are color coordinated to your gorgeous new skoot...

shiny side up

Nice bike, nice scenery, nice nice nice. Just hate to have to work tomorrow after reading posts like this.

OK to not answer, but have to ask. What portion of these $20K+ bikes (Goldwings, Large BMW's) do people finance. Seems like it's essentially a car payment....20% down? I would love to try a gold wing out for a weekend as it seems like a fantastic way to travel.

It feels out of my price range....although if I sell the bike and the guns, I could probably buy one though...:doh:

Very nice ride. Goldwings are great. Several years back, a friend of mine got a speeding ticket one night on his way back to Louisiana in his truck after visiting a lady-friend in Lewisville, AR. The trooper was parked under the canopy at the Canfield Store. :lol2:

My wife was miserable and dehydrated by the time we reached Ola, AR. We stopped in at the Conoco there and started pouring water down her and putting ice bags on her after she had been the A/C for a while.

Simple solution. Luggage rack for the top of the trunk. Camelbak (light blue bag in the photo) goes on top and the hose easily reaches her helmet. Brenda keeps the hose wedged between the seat cushion and the speaker enclosure when she's not drinking. We fill it in the morning with ice and top it off with water and it will normally last her a full day of riding (70 oz).
7390746352_6e71d6e167_c.jpg

A lesson learned after that photo was taken was to secure the Camelbak to the side of the black bag so that the hose intake was always at the bottom. With it laying flat it tended to not deliver water once it began running low.

I use a 34 oz Butler Cup mounted on the front left bar with a plastic hose stuck over the straw so that I merely have to bring the hose to my mouth to drink while riding.
7390745524_d0c2a2081e_c.jpg

Welcome to the clan. :sun:

Simple solution. Luggage rack for the top of the trunk. Camelbak (light blue bag in the photo) goes on top and the hose easily reaches her helmet. Brenda keeps the hose wedged between the seat cushion and the speaker enclosure when she's not drinking. We fill it in the morning with ice and top it off with water and it will normally last her a full day of riding (70 oz).
7390746352_6e71d6e167_c.jpg

A lesson learned after that photo was taken was to secure the Camelbak to the side of the black bag so that the hose intake was always at the bottom. With it laying flat it tended to not deliver water once it began running low.

I use a 34 oz Butler Cup mounted on the front left bar with a plastic hose stuck over the straw so that I merely have to bring the hose to my mouth to drink while riding.
7390745524_d0c2a2081e_c.jpg

Welcome to the clan. :sun:

Thanks for the tip!

with the comfort provided by today's modern skoots, we often find ourselves over-riding our personal needs

even though my LITTLE RED WEE will go 200++ miles, between fuel-ups, my body kneads kneading much more often

personal fluids, walkabout, stretch...

i set 100 miles and 2 hours as rough standards for my stops

these stops end up making my trips much more comfortable

and usually allow me to do more miles/day

the hydration solutions, above look like great ideas

as w/ all m/c purchases and no matter what level of factory farkles you drive out the door with, a new motorcycle is just a STARTER KIT

you guys will love personalizing your loverly new blue wing

keep us posted w/ pics

we love pics!!!

shiny side up

Nice wing! One of these days I'll probably upgrade from my 1500. I love the looks/performance of the 1800s, just can't justify the cost.

If you find yourself in Hot Springs again, my friend has motorcycle friendly cabin rentals not far from there near Degray Lake. They're called Remember When cabins. He also knows the roads up there and is more than willing to help you map out a route. He would probably take you out on a tour of the area if he was asked.

Enjoy the new ride! If you want to ride up in the Tomball area let me know.

Welcome to "the world is my oyster" Winging. GL1800 is arguably the best touring bike ever made (in my opinion it is). I bought a new black Navigation level Wing back in 2006 rode it for 46000 miles over much of the eastern US then sold it in 2010. I did all the PM work and upgrades myself and never had one mechanical issue. I miss that bike and it's hey lets go adventuring call to this day. I made some of my longer rides, one in August, but setup a camelback and did 935 miles and then 845 miles on my day rides at an amazing level of comfort. For two up adventure you can't beat a GL1800, enjoy. It begs to travel cross country. I will own another eventually. :rider:

Back