• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Re: Pie run VIII: River City grille, Marble Falls

Reaction score
First Name
Scott

Just a couple shots of the group.

Attachments

• IMG_0222.jpg
    IMG_0222.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_0224.jpg
    IMG_0224.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 251

Good day. Started out with rain in the DFW area, but the FJR with windshield up punched a nice sized hole in the wall of rain. I managed to come through with just a wet helmet and arms despite my mesh suit and that I never bothered with the rain suit. First test, I'm quite pleased.

I stopped for oatmeal on the way.

2012-08-25110505.jpg

Hey Mr2Mch, I found some of the roads. I need to find the rest of them, because 281 has now become the slog. 67 even more so. :rofl:

Still way better than 35 though! :giveup:

WELL ALLRIGHT!!! Oatmeal Tx ....just south of Bertram on FM243 @ CR336
Tons o nice paved CRs in that area. Be sure to use these 2 Google maps to find all those other paved goodies. (Even tho the maps are named Dual Sport & Dirt....the pavement content is astounding.) All the stuff from DFW to SA just west of I35 generally.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...77068&sspn=23.622808,35.244141&mid=1307322470

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...977250492172067101.00047dacc95555dff257f&z=10

I'm still in the process of movin some of the northernmost roads from the Hill Country map to the DFW DS map. Should make that HC map faster to load than it is now.

Sorry I didn't make it down for this one (right in my favorite zone) but I was ridin the gravel goodies up around Hamilton/Cranfills Gap with a few other guys (one of shadysmurf's last rides before movin to Allybammy)

Good pie run, was great to see Kenneth again and Beemer Bob and Cdc and to put a face to Don Roger's avatar! And of course all the usual Billy's/ Ken's Coffee folks...Thanks to Thomas and Vinny for the neat ride back through Spicewood/Disneyland....I mean Lakeway.

:sun:

Had a nice, not too hot ride but was off for about an hour for arrival. Got to see the Austin bunch ^ and some of the other fellows.

Wanted to return to Austin with the 'locals' on some scenic roads, but being late, we ate our meal with no rush..

Good hamburger an a nice restaurant.
Lost my riding partners near Austin, so decided to make a parent rest.
For home late after 450 miles of riding, the Last Pie Run for the FJR .

Next week Beyond Epic...

From mobile

Just a couple shots of the group.

What a handsome pair--- of Vstroms:-P
Enjoyed the long ride and talking with everyone and loking at all the bikes and the view and eating good food and....

Great time at the camp out too. Hizzo and me spent half the day at the Adventure Park nearby on rental bikes. Great time there to even if a little hot.

320164_4489370118477_1819452357_n.jpg

422306_4489371358508_1672556374_n.jpg

480521_4489372158528_1750110205_n.jpg

217816_4489373598564_514878836_n.jpg

Discussing how were going to "dispose" of my bike lol :rider:

405313_4489374238580_1220272434_n.jpg

556572_4489375118602_2062117110_n.jpg

394411_4489376278631_439609096_n.jpg

284995_4489377398659_666572968_n.jpg

Good Ol KLR inginuity
419908_4489378598689_8696419_n.jpg

558541_4489379958723_1076267399_n.jpg

533207_4489380838745_585023108_n.jpg

Had to shrink 'em down to internet size. Here's the crew from Austin (the Billy's and Ken's Coffee crew)...

DSC00001a.jpg
DSC00004a.jpg

Our stop on Cow Creek Road, we were all thankful none of us got killed or injured on Fred's impromptu road block on Lime Creek Road about 20 minutes earlier.

DSC00005a.jpg
DSC00007a.jpg
DSC00016a.jpg
DSC00017a.jpg

In Marble Falls.

DSC00019a.jpg
DSC00020a.jpg
DSC00021a.jpg
DSC00022a.jpg

Some of the Austin group at the adult table. The kids table is not pictured.

DSC00023a.jpg

Last edited:

I led our Billy's lunch group consisting of Gravel Guy, M38A1, Vinny, Jerry, Sov, Dave.Tx with his fiancée as a passenger, WoodButcher, ThomasM, HutchPhoto and a couple of other late-comers to the humble pie run in Marble Falls.

We first gathered at Ken's Hot Rod Trailer on Burnet around 8:30 AM. Following a cup of cappuccino with breakfast treats, we took a relaxing stroll as FM 1431 provided breathtaking scenery both northwest and southeast over winding curves and hills, with frequent glimpses of the Highland Lakes. A portion of the excursion was Lime Creek Road running south from 1431 west of Cedar Park connecting with 2769 at Volente. This loop around the Northeast side of Lake Travis is the tightest, gnarliest, kinkiest, nastiest, hilliest piece of 2 lane blacktop ever. On top of that it has grand views of the lake. For the non-believers, this road has found more converts than a Billy Graham revival. We then took Cow Creek Road just off highway 1431. It was here that one our ride members suggested skinny dipping would not be a good idea (hint: Scott!). After this comical interlude, we soon encountered a large group of wild turkeys and some inquisitive cows that appeared to want to charge some of the Beemer riders in our group. According to local legend, the Harley Davidson cruisers don't incite the same reaction from the animals! After our detour on Cow Creek Road we took 1431 back into Marble Falls.

Lunch was delicious consisting of salmon with Chipolte sauce, zucchini and of course lemon pie - compliments of Leon, our fearless pie leader. It was great to meet the pie run regulars and saying hello to new members as well. Following lunch, most of the Austin Billy's crowd was tired and ready for a siesta back in Austin. Jerry and I proceeded to ride a couple of hundred more miles after lunch following some routes I was able to chart from Butler Maps.

Till next time folks!

RB

I forgot to mention, my oatmeal pic...that's the DFW group. :mrgreen:

Always fun to see old friends and meet new ones.

Thx Fred for leading a great route.

And a huge thanks to Leon for the pie! I owe you one.

Always fun to see old friends and meet new ones.

Thx Fred for leading a great route.

And a huge thanks to Leon for the pie! I owe you one.

Cheers Scott.

I was hoping Dave.Tx would propose to Melody on the scenic, remote part of Lime Creek Road where we pulled over. Dave has been carrying the large Cubic Zirconia ring around for the past couple of weeks, but I guess the big day is still a somehere in the future.

:lol2:

RB

It was great to finally make another Pie Run!!

Hit some rain on the way down starting just east of Cresson on 377 and ending for me as I got onto 67 after riding down the best part of 51.

Caught up with a small DFW group just as I entered Marble Falls. ;-)

The Tiger at it's first Pie Run.
IMG_5100.jpg

The parking lot was full of a great assortment.

IMG_5113.jpg

IMG_5115.jpg

IMG_5109.jpg

IMG_5107.jpg

IMG_5105.jpg

IMG_5106.jpg

Already posted once but I think Mark is ingenious!!!
IMG_5119.jpg

If you have a need, and stuff is laying around, make do!!!
IMG_5120.jpg

Leon is a great guy for providing the pie but it looked like there were certainly more than "31" people there so I skipped the pie. After all, I had a "better plan".

After leaving, I took the scenic route to Fredericksburg to visit some of my Grandkids.

Old Sandy Road heads west from 281. (Finally, a gravel road on purpose)
IMG_5122.jpg

more of the same....
IMG_5135.jpg

My plans went awry. I arrived in Fredericksburg to find that the Fredericksburg Pie Company was closed......

Missed this part of the webpage while checking business hours.....

Fredericksburg Pie Company said:
VACATION TIME
Aug 19 - Aug 30
We will Reopen on Friday Aug 31
Just in time for Labor Day

Oh well!

At the Grandkids for Saturday and most of Sunday!
IMG_5142.jpg

The ride home Sunday was great! Hit the rain in Priddy and lasted until Comanche. A good bit of drizzle heading up 377 until Tolar where it finally cleared up for the rest of the trip.
IMG_5147.jpg

It was great seeing everyone and adding more faces to usernames. :clap:

I see Bob's Ural actually made it to a pie run. Anyone know if he trailered it to the restaraunt? :D. Nice new art work. I didn't realize how much Bob actually looks like snoopy until now. ;)

a6937b91-8a3a-371b.jpg

Actually, I want to call out Bob's great deed for the weekend. He made a rescue run to help another rider on Friday when mechanical problems left a fellow rider on the side of the road. Awesome job Bob! You da man!

Safe travels,
TTR

This is the Montgomery County group at our 1st stop.
I had another plan also. We went to The Texan in Hutto for pie! (old photo)

Attachments

• Hutto.jpg
    Hutto.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 221
  • 20120825_072053_resized.jpg
    20120825_072053_resized.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 186

Good pics, Don, and good write up too.

Fred, it'll happen someday but not yet. Today is her first day of teaching 1st grade so she had enough to worry about this weekend, didn't need to mess it up by proposing. :-P BTW, as far as I know she's not on this forum...

It was great to see everyone again!
My ride started out heading down to the Johnson County Courthouse to meet up with Brian and Leon. Nature decided she wanted to keep us cool, so I was perfectly fine with a little rain compared to a hot morning ride. Don caught us just outside of town and rolled into Marble Falls just in time to watch all the scoots come rolling in. Shortly after, I got to meet Mark in the daylight, as my usual arrangements for rolling into Bob's camp outs is at night, once the spirits have started dancing.

After eating my fill of fish tacos, Josh and I rolled over to the Hidden Falls Adventure Park, short of 2 Urals. Something about running in or breaking down, or a combination of the two. Upon looking at the maps, we think we found out why. Apparently (former, as his GS is up for grabs) BeemerBob has been there before.

IMG953922.jpg

The park was a blast, and I highly recommend it for anyone that is thinking about visiting it. Just make sure you bring a spare set of levers and a buddy to help you walk up your bike on the MX trails. After Josh and I had our fill of the park, we picked up grub for the guys back at camp and headed back to get cleaned up. Upon arrival, we found they already had the fire going and were enjoying their cool refreshments. There we met up with Rusty and Drew came sneaking up on his Connie. No chairs were harmed during the enjoyment of this camp out.

After everyone broke camp the next morning, I gave PR 4, in front of Inks SP a few runs, as this was a beautiful curvy road and headed back home. With my luck, it started raining. Again, rain over heat any day :sun:

Looking forward to the next pie run and camp out... lets hope for more beautiful weather.

Good pie run, was great to see Kenneth again and Beemer Bob and Cdc and to put a face to Don Roger's avatar! And of course all the usual Billy's/ Ken's Coffee folks...Thanks to Thomas and Vinny for the neat ride back through Spicewood/Disneyland....I mean Lakeway.

:sun:

What an awesome day on the bike. I'll ride Bullock Hollow and Lime Creek any time the sun is shining. :sun:

For those of you that followed me home, that was Double Horn Rd to Mike Wall Rd to Haynie Flat Rd to Paleface Ranch Rd, all of which is County Road 404. Then we hit Bee Creek Rd to Lakeway.

That brand new bridge a couple miles in on Double Horn looked like this the last time I rode it:

IMG_0851.jpg

That was the first time I took the GS "off road". :rider:

Looking forward to the next one!

Back