• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

So we went to the Ozarks

Reaction score
Whenever DFW life gets to be tedious, the wife and I jump on the scooter and head toward Eureka Springs. We recently returned from a week in the hills.
1st evening was Granbury to Mena by way of Hwy 4 in the valley. We were going to cross the Talamena but it was weather socked.
Stopped for a rest, and restroom break in Watson;
100_0714.jpg

Asked at the store if we could use the facilities, and were informed that the restroom was inoperable. As we were scanning for suitable foilage the elderly gentleman produced a key and informed us that the VFD accross the street has clean restrooms which we were welcome to use, and if we were tired just stretch out on the floor, it was clean. Never met an inhospitable person when traveling on a bike. People's good will always amazes and encourages us.

After freshening up we proceded to Mena, where we had a "cabin" at Mena Mountaintop Cabins. It is up a slight grade, at the bottom of which should be a large sign " place bikes in 4WD before proceeding. It's about 48% and BTW there is a very off camber 90 degree hard right.....in the middle of the climb. the palce is spotless, views are great, and the owners are fantastic.
100_0729.jpg

100_0719.jpg

Where else could you read Good Housekeeping, King James and Cabela's in an an evenings time?
100_0721.jpg

Sunday was travel up 71 via Booneville to Hwy23 and a ride best described as high speed through a kaleidoscope. The rear seater said the colors were so vibrant it looked as though we could eat them. Enjoyable to say the least.

We arrived at dark in Eureka and checked in for 4 days at Tall Pines Inn.
If rustic is your thing and you don't mind deer coming within inches of you while you relax on the porch then this is for you. We WILL be back to this place. The rowdy Beaver is right across the hiway for drinks and dinner.
100_0861.jpg

100_0739.jpg

100_0734.jpg

Colors in the area are spectacular this time of year. This is a pasture off hwy 23 south of Eureka.
100_0852.jpg

In the historic district there are always sights to see, and the glam fairy supervises all;
100_0770.jpg

Humpty takes care of the other side of the hill
100_0858.jpg

Colors of Basin Park
100_0772.jpg

Can't get this anywhere else;
100_0776.jpg

We had a really enjoyable week, and are planning our winter trip in February.
Enjoy.

I like venturing up to Eureka......nice scenery once you get into OK on the back roads.

We did a similar ride to BBB rally in Fayetteville back in Sept but stopped over at http://www.hootiecreekhouse.com/ for night one in Talihina Ok on the way up. Eureka Springs and NWA in general are great riding destinations and scenery compared to flat old DFW. :rider:

We are there (here?) right now...Salem, Ark. at the top of hwy 9.

We rode across the Missouri Ozarks today - absolutely incredible riding. Why doesn't anyone talk about this area?

I believe I talked to you and your wife when we were stopped on the scenic overlook on Hwy 23, down on the Pig Trail end. I was on the black Super Tenere.

Rick,
And it was a pleasent visit on a great day.
We were on our way back to Mena and the talamena drive for a night at Hochatown Lodge.
100_0879.jpg

That looks like the rest stop overlook on the Pig trail. That is one crooked road.

Wow... great time for ride there!
I was having a plan to ride to Ozarks during my time in US.
Really regret when it is still a plan.
Looking for more Ozarks photos with fall color.

Back