• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Loose Rocks and Falling Riders in Big Bend

Reaction score
Seven east Texans, eight days off, a trip planned for over a year, barrels full of fuel and beer - what could possibly go wrong? Yes, the Big Bend Ranch was our destination and we planned to leave no stone unturned.

For those of you who have not been yet, the Big Bend Ranch State Park should be a definite must on your list of Texas dual sport riding destinations.

After a smooth 13 hour ride across our great state, we hit the 27 mile long rock road to the Sauceda ranger station, only high centering the trailer once during this two hour leg of the trip. The 30 foot RV while comfortable for the first 13, seemed like a bad idea on the ranch road. However, much to the astonishment of many of the park staff and the remainder of our group we finally made Sauceda.
BB10-xx-2012034.jpg

For a base of operations during our stay we chose the ranch bunkhouse and let me tell you, for $35 per day per man, it sure beats camping! We considered it but we wanted to focus on riding. Next up we decided wisely, to pre-purchase breakfast and dinner for another $20 a day, leaving lunch time for trail-side snack munching from our bags off the bike.

The bunkhouse, food and park staff were all first class and everyone made us feel welcome with special thanks going out to the camp chef Sandra. Barrett, if you happen to read this, you have an excellent operation running there and we thank all of you.

Anyway, enough of the colorful introduction. For rolling stock (bikes) we had a KTM 450, Husky 630, two XR650Ls, two DRZ400s, and a KDX200, all street legal which is required by the ranch. Rider experience ranged from less than two years (me) to more than twenty for a few.

I have been told by some of the participants that I would get some help posting up on this thread, so feel free to chime in and throw out some pics and commentary fellas, this is your thread.

The scenery here is gorgeous
BB10-xx-2012088.jpg

if you have not been, we will attempt to show you a few of the finer places in photos, but they just do not do it justice. The park requires that you stay only on marked vehicle roads classified from 2 wheel drive access, to 4 wheel high clearance un-maintained. The riding was awesome, and we did not miss any of the 4 wheel drive roads and very few of the other, easier maintained roads.
BB10-xx-2012092.jpg

Looking back, it sure was a blast. We will try to give you a feel for our experience, and I hope it makes you want to go and see for yourself.
All I've got for now, but stay tuned.

Last edited:
only about 6 flats but it was worth it. especially one flat, yaw know what im talking about...

So who's gonna tell the story of the rear wheel?? Jr? Aka JR aka the guy one spoke short of a whole wheel? I'll be posting pics once I get Internet access again. Not gonna try it from my phone.

Hellwig shaking the baby....wait?!?! where did you get a baby?

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    128.1 KB · Views: 238
Mike uses photobucket I think. I have been shrinking the images using paint then adding as attachments which as you can see sucks compared to Mikes pics.

Mike uses photobucket I think. I have been shrinking the images using paint then adding as attachments which as you can see sucks compared to Mikes pics.

Yep Photobucket is the easiest and best quality. Download, resize to 640x480 to frame entirely within website page (larger will require scrolling right to view) and then embed photo link by copy & paste the IMG code. Here's one from bikedork's flicker album I processed.

Warning NSFW alert - full frontal man boob's shown, hahaha

The secret swimming hole in the desert, outside temp was over 95 degrees. Water temp was about 50 degrees. brrrr

8144103227_2f3307fb29_k.jpg

_

First day of riding we covered the Solitario area and hit all the 4 wheel drive access roads in that eastern area surrounding it. The road to nowhere was a nice ride but I thought the Solitario area, for all its unique geography from the air and on the topo maps (it is a volcanic depression, if I remember correctly) was not that spectacular from the ground. The riding was great but I expected awesome scenery as well and there just was not much of it here.
View from NOWHERE, overlooking the Solitario:
BB10-xx-2012033.jpg
Pretty, but not nearly as I imagined it.

To be fair, we really did not spend alot of time exploring all the ruins and historic spots in this side of the park. We came to ride! And ride we did.

As the title of the post goes, this whole park is one huge desert rock depository (much of it, more than simple gravel roads) and it took this east Texan and a few others in the group, some time to find our groove riding in large loose rocks, especially on the hills. Alot of falls and a few get-offs occurred, and I was at least as guilty as the next guy, although I cannot claim the prize for most spectacular crash.
jdfall1.png
Hopefully we will get all the video edited and put up at least one crash montage for your viewing pleasure. Oh, and did I mention everything that grows here has brutal stickers, thorns and spines that managed to find their way into most of us from overhanging the roads?
BB10-xx-2012041.jpg

All in all it was a great first day, we woke up to bacon, eggs, fresh salsa, pancakes, biscuits in some combination every day. Hot coffee, juice, etc.. and it was heavenly, especially since we did not have to cook or clean up. We returned every evening for frosty barley pops (we brought) and plenty of delicious hot chow. Did anyone happen to get pics of the food? If so, post up. I was too busy stuffing my face to think about pictures!
I think we averaged around 35-45 miles per day except for the Terlingua ride and the Cienega ride days. I will cover those more later.

The bunk house food was exceptionally good when I visited :eat:

They even did a birthday cake for MedicJeff's wife that was GOOD.

Did you guys ride the stuff in the NE corner of the park?

The bunk house food was exceptionally good when I visited

They even did a birthday cake for MedicJeff's wife that was GOOD.

Did you guys ride the stuff in the NE corner of the park?

I agree, we ate like hogs. Yes we rode the Northeast Los Alamos trail -at least the parts we could find. Pretty rough stuff and we had a get off in there as well. Those washouts sneak up on you. MLP almost dropped his bike off the edge of a 12 or 15 foot cliff too. The rain out there recently hammered some of the low crossings and creekbeds from what the park staff told us. Miraculously I dont think I dropped the bike in this area, but almost did. Did yall ride here as well?

Sorry I originally replied:(Cienega Mountains or Casa Piedra Trailhead) we covered it pretty extensively. About a 95 mile day from camp to there and back. It was fun riding but not real scenic. Some of the riding was a lot less spectacular than the rest of the park. I did however, still manage to fall twice! It would have been better had we ridden this part first. Also we did have to do some hard looking for some of the mapped roads in this area and we never found a few of the ones we wanted to ride. There were some cool wash outs and creekbeds though in the Southeast section of Casa Piedra Trail. (Where I fell x2) , but these are Northwest, hey its late!

Back