• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

::: Viethorse visited GA and ride on Smoky Mountain

:tab Do you have public/government funded/run schools?

We do have those school. But they are not using the old car like that. All of them are pretty new. And you may not know that car is for school pupils if you are not seeing the banner on the cars.

Passed Cherokee, I keep continuing on 107 down to Glenville and Cashiers.
DSC04313.jpg

The roads to Glenville was awesome, a bit small but very few traffic, and lots of twisty:
DSC04314.jpg

Arrived Glenville around 3:30PM. I was quite worried because there was still quite long way back to Robbinsville, and I did not know how the road would be:
DSC04317.jpg

Glenville Post office:
DSC04316.jpg

DSC04318.jpg

I stopped for a while. Look at the map, try to figure out the location and the route back to Robinsville from Glenville. I was thinking of riding in the dark on 129 when getting back the cabin. Then I decided to continue with the planned route.
Kept going for a little while, I saw a very nice lake on the right:

DSC04320-1.jpg

That's the boat rental station:
DSC04322.jpg

The bike in the sun:
DSC04325.jpg

DSC04327.jpg

Quickly got on the bike, to Cashiers in about some miles, then I turn right at Cashiers to 64.
The 64 to Highlands and the 28 to Franklin were really great as well. However I was feeling not really comfortable as the sunlight hit directly to my eyes. It was quite difficult for me at many corners.

It was quite late, darker and darker so I did not take anymore photo, except this:
DSC04330.jpg

In Vietnamese, Macon, actually "Ma con" means a "little ghost". I was reading that in Vietnamese all the way back to Robbinsville. ****, that night was the first night I stayed alone in the Robbinsville cabin!!

Hit back to the town, had dinner and end the riding day.
I turned all the light inside and outside the cabin that night. Made some plans for the cases of someone knock at the door at the midnight... ect... ****, that was a long night!

:))

Noooo... you did 28 between Franklin and Hwy 19 in the dark!? :doh:

You went right by one of my all time favorite roads when you went South on 107. It cuts to the SW from Cullowhee (on 107) down to 28 South of Franklin. It is a wonderful insanely twisty little back road that rarely has any traffic at all, NC 1001, also known as Ellijay Road.

Here is a small sample of it :rider: (it was raining before we got there).
IMG_7453.jpg

:tab You HAVE to come back! You just barely scratched the surface of all the incredible riding out there.

It was not so dark that time Scott. However, the sun was going down and it flared to my face all the way. As I mentioned, that road has a lot of trees at sides and it quite narrow and it not so dry. Some places having lots of leaves on road surface.
For sure it's really fun road in the sun.

You can check this link to see if I was on the exactly same road as yours:
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1855990#

:tab You rode it! In the dry and without the leaves it is a superb ride!

:tab If you follow 64 West out of Franklin, you will see that other road that runs over to Nantahala Lake. That is Wayah Bald Rd. It comes out on 19 right at the upper right of that U shaped portion of the route where you head back to Robbinsville. It is another excellent road, but it has been getting better known in recent years and thus is seeing more traffic than in the past.

LOTS of this on Wayah Bald Rd.
DSC02337.JPG

:tab I am telling you, you HAVE to come back!! :lol2:

:tab You rode it! In the dry and without the leaves it is a superb ride!

:tab If you follow 64 West out of Franklin, you will see that other road that runs over to Nantahala Lake. That is Wayah Bald Rd. It comes out on 19 right at the upper right of that U shaped portion of the route where you head back to Robbinsville. It is another excellent road, but it has been getting better known in recent years and thus is seeing more traffic than in the past.

LOTS of this on Wayah Bald Rd.

:tab I am telling you, you HAVE to come back!! :lol2:

Just saw the Wayah road on Google Earth. Doh, that's lots of twisties.
I believe there are still bunch of roads, I meant really nice roads, which I 've never been thru. Really love to come back to ride, Bro.
Need to work very hard to save some money from now on,.... :rider: :eat:

P/S: If you were be able to hook up with me to NC that time.... dude...

Just saw the Wayah road on Google Earth. Doh, that's lots of twisties.
I believe there are still bunch of roads, I meant really nice roads, which I 've never been thru. Really love to come back to ride, Bro.
Need to work very hard to save some money from now on,.... :rider: :eat:

P/S: If you were be able to hook up with me to NC that time.... dude...

:tab I have been out there maybe 6-7 times, each time for six days of riding. Every trip I try to ride new roads even though there are some I hit on every trip. I have barely scratched the surface. If you include unpaved roads, the number of great roads increases dramatically!! Many great paved roads run about 2/3 the way up a ridge, then it is dirt to the top and back down the other side where it becomes pavement for the lower 2/3. On a street only bike, this makes for some dead ends and makes routing a challenge. On a dualsport, you can connect them and make fantastic routes. Most of the unpaved stuff is not real difficult. It is stuff you can drive a typical car on without any problems.

:tab I will definitely be trying to get back out there in the future, just not sure exactly when. I would very much like to get over to Vietnam and explore, but that would mean dealing with our beloved TSA and I am not doing that.

No doubt about dual sport bike. There will be lot more choice for roads.
What is TSA? Is that the Transportation Security Admin?
For riding in Vietnam, if you are not so familiar with the roads and traffic here, you should not choose naked or sport bikes for your ride. Dirt bike or Dual sport bike would be the best.
There are a lot riders coming over from some neighbor countries to ride in Vietnam, or even lots of them came from EU, US or Australia.
You can easily find their ride reports on ADV, gt-rider.com, rideasia.net, etc...

Day 5 with VFR.

It was the day I plan to move away from the Cabin in Robbinsville. I was hopping I can head North to reach Virginia, just pass the state line couple of miles then I can claim that I 've been to one more State.
tongue.png

Well, If having a local with me, for sure I can make it. However, I chose the safer option which could let me take an easy day and really enjoy the ride.

Here is my tracklog of the day 5:
Day5.jpg

Last time see this:
DSC04332.jpg

Got off the cabin, started the bike, it was quite chilly:
DSC04340-1.jpg

DSC04341.jpg

I headed to Dragon from theere. Done the last round of the Dragon.
Nothing else to see and taking photos others than these - RWB VFR at the state line btw NC and TN:
DSC04345.jpg

DSC04351.jpg

DSC04353.jpg

I left the Dragon with the same route #80. But this time, I have chance to take photos with the very beautiful lake, I think it may just around within 10miles from the Dragon:

DSC04368.jpg

DSC04366-1.jpg

DSC04360.jpg

DSC04356-1.jpg

I headed to Blue Ridge Parkway. Passed Bryson City, I think I went for the wrong way for a while. Then came back to get thru Cherokee one more time. That was the last time I passed those two places.

And after that I again missed the turn from the Hwy 19 to Blue Ridge Parkway. I gotta make another U-turn.
Finally, I got this:

DSC04371.jpg

DSC04373.jpg

I was so happy when reaching that area. Further more, that day was really beautiful weather.
I don't know it 's allowed or not. But who cares!?
DSC04376.jpg

Wow... many and many wow... I was really ecstatic with the beauty of the scenes on Blue Ridge Parkway:
DSC04377.jpg

DSC04379.jpg

(to be continued...)

The Blue Ridge Parkway may be familiar with lots of you guys, but for me, it was really awesome. I would never forget my excitement when seeing all those wonderful color.
Words may not be able to express all the beauty of the trees, roads, and mountains there.

DSC04377.jpg

DSC04380.jpg

DSC04381.jpg

DSC04382.jpg

I stopped at quite numbers of overlook area. Some places I just pulled off, still sitting on the bike, enjoy the view for some seconds, then kept riding. Some others made me to off the bike, pulled my camera up and shot:

DSC04383.jpg

DSC04386.jpg

DSC04387.jpg

DSC04390.jpg

I reached the highest point of the Blue Ridge Parkway:
DSC04394.jpg

I was wishing of Wrestler and RollingAgain being there with me:
DSC04391.jpg

(to be continued...)

I reached the highest point of the Blue Ridge Parkway:
DSC04394.jpg

I was wishing of Wrestler and RollingAgain being there with me:
DSC04391.jpg

(to be continued...)

I think those are mandatory pictures if you ride the BRP :lol2:

Last time I was there, we had to wait in line to get our shots.

Thanks for Sharing was a great story and some real nice pictures, Also gives me some ideas of maybe some summer fun :)

I keep promising myself to go back to the Eastern Mountains again every year. But I get on the road and end up in New Mexico to Montana to California. I just gotta go back East this coming year. Sigh!. I want to see the Blue Ridge as in your pictures. My last two times was either foggy or rain. Sigh!
Great report and pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you guys.
Hopefully my trip report would not make you guys have to be queuing for taking photos on BRP. If so, pls forgive me. LOL....

Left the highest point of the Blue Rigde Parkway, I kept riding toward the Ashville area.
The parkway offered lots of amazing sceneries, all the beautiful looks which I had seen only on screen:

DSC04395.jpg

DSC04396.jpg

DSC04398.jpg

DSC04404.jpg

DSC04407.jpg

DSC04410.jpg

DSC04412.jpg

DSC04414.jpg

One of the most beautiful look to me:
DSC04438.jpg

and this:
DSC04457.jpg

DSC04459.jpg

There was a tunnel:
DSC04472.jpg

DSC04497.jpg

I was riding near to Ashville. I sent messages to Wrestler and Earthshake to ask for some places to stay that night.
Besides, I also looked into my Garmin GPS to find the place. Lucky me, I found the Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground. I calle the number on the GPS and the owner answered. Room was available, wifi free, price was ok to me.
Headed to Ashville for some more gas and turned back a bit to the Campground. It was somewhere at the middle of the Blue Rige Parkway.

With my GPS, I can find the place without any difficulties. I saw some bikers just heading out of the campground, some were setting up their tents.
Met the owner, he showed me the cabins:

DSC04499.jpg

They looked nice and okay to me.

This was my cabin for that night:
DSC04498.jpg

There was nothing inside the cabin except a bed, a small heater and some clothes hangers on the walls.
The area has the free public bathroom and toilet. Had the washing machine, but they need coins to work.
icon10.gif

With my gears still on, I headed out about 5-7 miles for dinner. I had dinner in a Mexican restaurant that night. Food was really great.
Come back and had bath.
After that I brought my laptop to the recreation room (a common room of the campground) to connect to stronger wifi and chit chat with the bikers in there.
Other riders were so supprise that I am all over from Vietnam to there and ride.
Slept not so well that night because the small heater and thin blanket did not help.

Tracklog for the Day 5:

Day5.jpg

:tab If that is the campground I am thinking of, it got wiped out a few years back during a bad flood. There is a bridge that crosses a creek at the entrance and it was swept away. Good to see they got back in business. There are a LOT of really cool places to stay in the area that cater to riders.

Yes Scott. That's the campground with the entrance bridge over the creek. I have no info about the flood as you mentioned. That campground seems famous as I saw lots of big group photos and event photos in the common room.
I was not asking how much they charge for the tent or just the ground area.

My bad that I was riding alone that time and not knowing much about the area, don't really know where esle I could stay that night.
However, staying that Motorcycle campground was my great experience though.

You may recognize the area with below picx:

-------------------

Day 6 with VFR.

After a cold night in the cabin of Blue Ridge Campground, wake up with sleepy eyes...

DSC04504.jpg

This side of the Campground is cabin area:
DSC04501.jpg

This is the office and recreation room:
DSC04505.jpg

And here is place for those who have their own tents - the house in the middle of the photo is bathrooms and laundry rooms:
DSC04506.jpg

Morning smile for a good day, why not?
DSC04508.jpg

I will leave the campground, cross the Blue Ridge Parkway, thru Highlands and toward the South. Destination of the day would be Clayton (GA)
Day6.jpg

It was wonderful day for ride:
DSC04510.jpg

All the road from the beginning of the day are all good.
Stopped beside this lake:
DSC04512.jpg

DSC04513.jpg

DSC04517.jpg

Really calm water, like a mirror:
DSC04520.jpg

After that, I had to ride on a very dangerous road, the pavement was not good. The loose little sands on the road surface made me really scare. And the road was almost empty, I could not see any one, bike or car, on the road.

DSC04523.jpg

DSC04524.jpg

Then I got to the better road:
DSC04527.jpg

Looks like the road on Blue Ridge Parkway:
DSC04533.jpg

DSC04534.jpg

DSC04544.jpg

(to be continued...)

Don't know the place, but I took the right turn at this cross, well toward the Lake Toxaway:
DSC04545.jpg

That's where I turned into:
DSC04546.jpg

That was almost noon time. Arrived Cashiers and had lunch there. There was nice talk with an old man in the Subway. He saw me wearing the Texas T-shirt and was thinking that I rode all the way from Texas. He seemed know very clearly about the Blue Ridge Parkway. He said that there were lots of trees has been killed, by some sorts of insect.

Left Cashiers, heading to the Lake Glenville. I saw on the Google Earth and realized that the road around the lake is very twisty, so I decided to make a circle around the lake.

Really nice lake, which I took some photos the other day:
DSC04548.jpg

DSC04550.jpg

And of course, the road surrounding the lake also very amazing!
DSC04551.jpg

Let's see this - how to compare with the Dragon?
DSC04558.jpg

And this:
DSC04566-1.jpg

DSC04567.jpg

For you if you like to check the road out - it's Norton Road - a very motorcycle name LOL:
DSC04568.jpg

(to be continued..)

What software are you using for maps and tracking ?

I used the Garmin Nuvi500, then export the tracklogs to Computer by Garmin Mapsource or BaseCamp - to .gdb files.
From the .gdb files, I can either view on Google Earth, or sync them with the RidewithGPS website.
The map you see above is snapshot from RidewithGPS.

Link to the Day6 tracklog as an example: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1856037

Looks like you really picked the most colorful time of year, as shown in your photos. :thumb:

It looks like you found some good roads here and back east. I hope that your trip was what you wanted (anf maybe better than expected).

Next time you will need to hit the Rocky Mountains...

Looks like you really picked the most colorful time of year, as shown in your photos. :thumb:

It looks like you found some good roads here and back east. I hope that your trip was what you wanted (anf maybe better than expected).

Next time you will need to hit the Rocky Mountains...

Yes, thanks!
It was just the right time, the most beautiful week of the year. The leaves started to fall just the week after I left. And you know that's not good for riding when all the leaves fall, with some fog or rain things will come to be not good at all.
For the time in TX, I was not expected to have such kind of twisty roads, just thinking of long and boring lab roads. But the TWT guys made my time, lots of good roads.
I heard a lot about Rocky Mountains, as well as Ozarks, Colorado.... all the great area to ride... Gotta be there one day.... :eat: :rider:

Very nice pictures, these all look like promotional tourist postcard!

Some of my photos have been selected to print on a 2013 Calendar in US. And they are selling them :eat:....

---------------------
Left the Norton road, saw the Macon County signboard again:
DSC04569.jpg

Then I passed the Highlands. It is very nice town. I rode around Highlands and saw quite a lot bikers there:
DSC04571.jpg

Dont remember why I did not many photos there. Just remember that I lost my way for a while coz confusing of the roads due to their elevation (from GPS looks different from actual). I passed the Highlands Plaza at least twice LOL...

DSC04573.jpg

Toward Franklin:
DSC04572.jpg

This was on the way leaving Highlands:
DSC04576.jpg

DSC04579.jpg

DSC04580.jpg

Oh, it's already Georgia:
DSC04586.jpg

And North Carolina was at the back:
DSC04583.jpg

(to be continued...)