• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Day trip from Burleson to Granbury 4-09

pacman

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
I just got in from the ride to Granbury with Gilk51, menwen, and my friend Hank who's not on the forum. I'll post what pics I took. Gilk took a few more that I'm sure he'll post.

Here's where we met. Babe's Chicken in old town Burleson.
100_0735.jpg

We didn't get any photos of the scenery on the way. Perhaps it wasn't quite inspiring enough. Here's one of the Granbury welcome sign with me, menwen and The Beast. That's The Beast on the far left. ;-) Menwen is on the right. Your's truly is in the middle.
100_0739.jpg

Quick switch of the camera and viola', Gilk51 is now is the pic, getting ridiculed by menwen for some reason. Perhaps because he is being forced to stand beside such a nasty beast!:trust:
100_0741.jpg

Here's the Hood County Courthouse.
100_0742.jpg

Which on is uglier? The Beast or the drab rail car sitting behind. Bet you didn't even see the darn rail car, that Beast is such a scene stealer!:rofl:
100_0737.jpg

It was a fun ride. :rider: I would like to have more curves, but I'll take what I can get this close to the metroplex.

WES

Admin-I posted this same thread in the Upcoming Rides section. Realized afterward that it was the wrong forum. Please delete it from that section. :doh: Thx.
WES

Dang it! I missed the thread about this ride. And I was in Granbury too! :doh:

Graubart said:
Dang it! I missed the thread about this ride. And I was in Granbury too! :doh:
I really didn't pay attention to the time, but I think we were in Granbury around 5:30 or so. What time were you there? We ate at Montana which is where FM4 and US377 join...

We waited until 4:15 or so to see if Craig (Hond330) was going to make it. He had indicated he was - hope nothing was wrong and he was just tired from yardwork or something...

Wayne got a call from a 940 area code number while in Granbury - did we ever figure out who that was?

Met two new fellas - Wayne (pacman1) and Hank (not registered but Wayne will beat it into him). Both these guys work at the same place as Steve's (MeNWen) wife - Hugley Hospital.

Wayne (pacman1) is from Burleson, Yamaha XT600
wayne_0200q.jpg

(psst his Florida plates are out-of-date) :roll:

Hank is from Crowley and rides this HD Sportster
hank_0202q.jpg

Steve (MeNWen) from Alvarado, arrives on his Zuk DL1000
steve_0204q.jpg

Steve 'splaining stuff to the other 3
steve_0205q.jpg

Wayne got the "official" shots but here is another
granbury_0206q.jpg

The two 'Stroms were not as prepared to park in the grass in front of the sign
granbury_0207q.jpg

The Granbury courthouse on the Square is impressive
courthouse_0208q.jpg

We went for food at this place
montana_0209q.jpg

(Hint: don't order the Chicken Fried Steak Platter unless you are REALLY REALLY hungry)

Man, I love Daylight Savings Time! This was the perfect late afternoon ride time. Wayne took us down some backroads to FM917 which we took to Godley and then made a short jog via SH171 to FM2331 and FM4.

We took FM167 in Acton to US377 and Hank took off toward home from there. He is a relatively new rider and was feeling a little uncomfortable with some of the roads. He seemed to be doing fine, but I am glad that he didn't force himself into something too fast and he didn't keep going when he got tired out. Hope we will see him on another day.

A jog on 377 got us back to FM167 which we took around to FM51 and into the square in Granbury. We went looking for a place to eat and thought we had a live one when Steve noticed the menu on the door of this one place. :eek2: Too pricey for us, good thing he looked first!

Ended up going back north and finding the Montana place next to a BBQ place. Good to sit down and relax for a bit. Good conversation - found out that Wayne's oldest son is in Cub Scouts and that Steve was wanting to get into that as an adult leader (after having been in himself). Cool since my sons and myself have been involved in that, too.

Really enjoyed the day. Weather and company was great and some good roads sure didn't hurt. Thanks to these young fellers for putting up with an old geezer...

(pictues above have bigger versions hidden behind them, opened witha click)

Old Schmold Chuck. Be thankful you got better hair genes than I do. :rofl:

Enjoyed the ride. It's definately one to do again. Maybe next time we can go east instead of west. See who meets up with us by going that way. I know of a pretty good road east of Wax between 287 and Red Oak. Can't remember the number :scratch: though I do remember where it is.

MeNWen said:
I know of a pretty good road east of Wax between 287 and Red Oak. Can't remember the number :scratch: though I do remember where it is.

HWY 77 is over there... not sure if thats the one your looking for.

If this happens again, I'll sure give it a try

Good to see the Johnson County crew is growing...we'll have to induct you into the Burleson Mafia :mrgreen:

Looks like a good ride, great report.....I hate you all :-P

:-( I sat in the IV room all day and pittied my self for not getting to go. I think I will spend this week looking for a monday thru friday job:deal: It couldnt have been a more beautiful day:sun:

wonder91178 said:
Good to see the Johnson County crew is growing...we'll have to induct you into the Burleson Mafia :mrgreen:

Looks like a good ride, great report.....I hate you all :-P

If it's a riding mafia, I'm in! :mrgreen: I had the most fun on the county roads. I love blasting down those narrow little twisties. The Beast is much more suited to that type of riding.

Hopefully the next time we go out I'll have the thing street legal.;-) I'm still looking for a set of factory blinkers and the tail/brake light/rear fender/license plate bracket. Can't get it from the dealer anymore, so I have to search the salvage yards and eBay.

Anyway, we had fun, and I definately want to do it again.

WES

Back