• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Post your Day Rides Here!

Great shots Justin! One of my best friends lives in The Dalles. He used to ride a Husky 500 all over Bend back in the good 'ol days. Hope you get the car sorted out or ya'll might have to start taking the bike! Ha!
wtfisthis.jpg

Wow!

...and we make a big deal about going 2-up.

:rofl:

I think the baby is "Photoshopped" into the picture.

RB

Well, my vacation is almost over and today was just too nice to spend working on the "honey do" list. So out about 8am and back to the house about 4. Miles for the day 340.
Left the house to go to my doctors office to make appointments in February. Done. "Now, Jeff you're on 290 and Huffmeister. Where should you go?" Go west young man. So up the road on 290 and see where I end up.

P1010947.jpg

I'm also posting on ADVRider "Go postal" so I figured two birds, one stone. After beautiful downtown Carmine, it was back west bound towards Austin with real good intentions of Ken's and a slaw dog.

Look, another post office!
Ledbetter, TX 78946
P1010951.jpg

This in the "main" post office. It's small with limited hours.
P1010950.jpg

I wonder what the branch office looks like!

Back out on the road. Made it as far as Giddings. Stopped at the intersection of 290/77. The only red light in town :lol2:. Then the smell of smoke floated thru the air. What is that smell and where is it coming from?

P1010952.jpg

the three meat plate..quarter pound of brisket, three melt in your mouth fall off the bone tender pork ribs and a sausage!
IMG_1117.jpg

Note to the purists here, the sause was on the side. None of the meat needed it at all. For science or taking one for the team, I did try it with the brisket. Yummy!:eat:

After looking for a place for a nap to recover from the food induced coma in Giddings, I got back out on the road heading south this time on 77. La Grange seemed like a nice place to stop. Look, another hole in the wall post office! This one in Warda, TX. Seriously, blink and you miss this one.

P1010953.jpg

Limited hours here too but open from 1pm to 4pm M-F.

Ok, Jeff stop stopping for post offices. Back southbound towards La Grange. Got to 77/71, went east and saw TX 159/237. I'll go to Industry! they've got a killer general store and a post office! Riding along minding my own business and miss the turn for 159. Oh well, I just go north on 237. Time to start heading back anyway. As I approached Round Top, the bike slowed down all by itself. I was looking at the gas gauge, nope thats good. What is wrong now? The bike pulled in and stop out front of here.

P1010954.jpg

I forced myself to once again, take one for the team and have pie and coffee.

P1010955.jpg

Peach Pie! Nice. Passed on the blue bell.
Oh look! A sticker!
P1010956.jpg

I did ask. I swear!
Back on the road up to Burton, no postal pic. FM390 west to east is great. I had never ridden it the full length. Along the way I saw a sign to St Peter's Lutheran Church, nice place to stop for a break I figured.
P1010959.jpg

Met the pastor and got a quick look inside.
P1010960.jpg

Historical markers out front.
P1010958.jpg

P1010957.jpg

Back on the road, stopped for the first time at Old Baylor. Almost twenty years this trip in Texas and I've seen things that I should have seen along time ago.
P1010961.jpg

Back on the road down to TX 105 to Navasota. Decided on TX90 to go get the forest curves. Stopped in Richards for water and ice cream.
P1010962.jpg

While paying for my ice cream and water, the clerk asked me if I was on the red motorcycle, nope I'm on the black Harley. Why? Appearently some on a a red go fast (sounded like a Ducati when he left) motorcycle didn't pay for his gas!:eek2: I offered to pick up the tab ($9.51) but the clerk said no thanks, they've got cameras! :trust: I was going to pay to get some good carma. One can only wave at so many cows. Back thru the forest on 149 to 105 to 2854 to 336 to I-45 and home.

All in all a good day out. Hope that everyone gets out once in awhile.

Nice report....love me some Royers! :sun:
I got my 1000 miles this week! Sweet weather!

Killin me with the "Q" pics.... mmmmm. We may have some great riding here, but haven't found any good barbeque.

Snuck out on Sunday and had a good time, I'll try to get pics posted up this week.

Tonight is my "night out" so ran down to Bend Brewing Company to see my peeps in a snow storm. On the KTM. :rider:

Elgin to Bastrop to Niederwald to Buda and home today, maybe 150 miles handing out cards and gifts.....ate with Trader at Cabelas, then home right at dark....:sun:

pic1- The riverbend on Old Sayers Rd.
pic2- The COTA sign and old faithful.....

There is poetry alive in the golden light of the sunset on the travelling shadow of a motorcycle.........

Attachments

• CRSayersriver.jpg
    CRSayersriver.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 205
  • COTA130.jpg
    COTA130.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 199
Great report Doc! How's the chow up there in Chicago compare to our Texas cuisine?

Elgin to Bastrop to Niederwald to Buda and home today, maybe 150 miles handing out cards and gifts.....ate with Trader at Cabelas, then home right at dark....:sun:

pic1- The riverbend on Old Sayers Rd.
pic2- The COTA sign and old faithful.....

There is poetry alive in the golden light of the sunset on the travelling shadow of a motorcycle.........

I finally made it out to old sayers rd two thursdays ago. Never did post a ride report...or the pics...or the video...I totally missed the turn onto the gravel start of the road then found the tail end of it so covered it twice that day. Still gotta work on my GPS skills. Fun ride. It's in good enough shape for us gravel noobies to practice our skills.

@Mudclod .... There is no BBQ north of the Red River. The pizza ain't bad but I do miss my Q.

Fort Parker State Park

Had to go to my Waco office Friday so decided to throw the camp bag on the bike and figure out where to go if we got done in time. Ended up at Fort Parker State Park. Got everything set up just in time to see the sunset over the lake. It's a nice little park. Definitely worth the visit. Next time I'll bring my daughter and take some time to tour Fort Parker, which is being maintained by the county historical society out there.

8d1babf4cfc1364a2194ce732a57688c.jpg

Had a nice trip back today on some CRs and FMs from Groesbeck, stopping in Calvert for lunch and ending with picking up oil and a filter and a donut from Lone Star.

2db2da6aa32c9dc163d7516698c5d103.jpg

Loretta's in Calvert had the best chicken fried chicken I've had in a while.

We were in Calvert yesterday as well. Man, I could spend some money in that town! Many restored homes in that town, I vow to return for photo's.

Finally. Some rain in Texas! I headed west in search of dust free riding. The roads in Mason and Llano counties had just been graded and were optimal.
002_zps154249cf.jpg
012-1_zps6c0df2e4.jpg
010-2_zpsa1388aa5.jpg
Unfortunately, all water crossings were still dry. It will take much rain before we experience the great riding conditions we used to enjoy.
013_zpsa0d16868.jpg
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY9PWor8zdM"]CR414 Llano County - YouTube[/ame]
003-1_zps3c9eaa78.jpg
006-1_zpsa7a63aed.jpg
011-1_zps7eefdce7.jpg
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ7jn0dNVa4"]King Mountain near Mason, Texas - YouTube[/ame]
015-1_zpsff794354.jpg
019-1_zps13b124e2.jpg
018_zps58c69ab0.jpg

Hey dudes!

Man I can't believe you still have no flowing water... ugh. It's been what, 3 or 4 years? That would wear me out. :(. That looked like a good ride Mud, are you still getting the Dizzer out?

Colder winter than the last here, still sneaking out but it can be a little more "epic" than intended. The day before New Year's Eve my buddy James and I loaded up and headed for Mattawa in Central Washington.

South of Vantage where I-90 crosses the Columbia.
Mattawa-L.jpg

I got back from a Christmas party at about 10:00, packed until midnight, and got up at 4:30 AM to about 4" of snow and 10 degrees. I had to pull the truck forward to load the bike so I could put the ramp on dry concrete and not in a bunch of snow and ice.

After 45 minutes of 4-wheel driving I turned off towards James' house into 6" of unplowed snow, dropping 10 miles down to the Deschutes River before a steep climb in deep snow to his driveway. When I arrived at 6:00 he was busy plowing the driveway and we were looking at each other with raised eyebrows...
IMG_3936-L.jpg

There were more raised eyebrows as we headed North towards Biggs on the Columbia River, 4-wheel drive most of the way.
IMG_3941-L.jpg

136 very sketchy miles later we dropped down into Biggs and saw the pavement for the first time. Lots of big whirley things in the snow on the other side of the river...
IMG_3943-L.jpg

Yay, blue skies!!
IMG_3944-L.jpg

Another 126 miles later and we finally arrived at Mattawa, having added at least two hours to the drive. The Columbia River is down below, with the hills of the Yakima firing range behind. I was knackered, 4 hours of sleep (and insomnia the night before) followed by 6 hours of white knuckle driving.
IMG_3952-L.jpg

This is what greeted us out of the parking lot. The guys we met were raring to go... this guy I hadn't seen in at least 15 years.
IMG_3953-L.jpg

I had a little scare getting going, first my battery was about croaked from 6 hours of deep freeze and then I found that I'd left the oil cap off my transmission. The cap had rode the entire way sitting on top of the motor... whew! I tried not to think about all the snow and slush it ingested along the way. The trail head was high on a hill and I figured it would be easy peasy to bump start the bike. However, the dirt and snow was so wet and the bike so dead it wouldn't start and I dropped lower and lower into a big ravine. I literally gave it one more go as I leveled out in the bottom of the canyon and it burbled a time or two, popped, and finally started. :eek2: That was close.

Back at the trail head it turns out I had the perfect 8mm bolt to keep a flopping silencer from falling off Jay's XR400, and finally getting geared up we were ready to go. "Go" meant dropping into a steep canyon, clawing our way up the snowy other side (Mattawa is an "open" riding area), and dropping into our target canyon for the "trail" at the bottom. It almost felt like a poor man's Romaniacs or something. The trail consisted of a frozen creek in the bottom of the canyon, good ledge-ups, slippery baby head rocks, and large frozen puddles as we headed for higher country.

Looking down the canyon...
IMG_3980-L.jpg

The higher we went the snowier it got until we had to leave the canyon and head back west.... only there wasn't anywhere to leave to! I managed to be the second of only two guys to make the initial snow climb out, crazy stuff. I tended towards the south facing slope and tried to hit every sage brush and rock I could for some traction. My goggles were so fogged up and the hill so steep I had to crane my head and look out a sliver of transparent plastic at the bottom. That was the end of goggles for the day.
IMG_3958-L.jpg

The view from above.
[ame="http://vimeo.com/57992742"]Mattawa Snow Climb on Vimeo[/ame]

As the rest of the group searched for a way up this is what greeted me at the top. Yes, there is single-track under there.
IMG_3955-L.jpg

Justin (yes another one) was the third guy up, thoroughly overheating his CRF450 in the process. That thing plagued him all day.
IMG_3960-L.jpg

CRF Justin makes the climb.
[ame="http://vimeo.com/57992743"]CRF Justin's Attempt at Mattawa on Vimeo[/ame]

Getting some "turns" in...
IMG_3961-L.jpg

Big guy Joah manhandling an old XR600 up through the deep stuff. He made it look like a 125.
IMG_3964-L.jpg

Interestingly, Jay on his old XR400 with MX knobbies on just killed all these climbs. He's a great rider but it looked like he was on a chair lift. My buddy James had pulled the classic "I'll just get one more ride out of these tires" move and was flailing, to say the least.

We headed west towards the river on top of the ridgeline and it got a bit surreal. I was fine as long as I wasn't on the roads, which were 4 - 6" of snow on top of ice. I had my first good off as I came around the corner of a big radio tower and ate it in a big cloud of powder. Totally felt like I'd just been thrown off a snowmobile (or "sled", as they're called up here).

The big snow angel is from my face plant.
IMG_3967-L.jpg

Jay on the XR400 came drifting around the corner like it was nothing. Too bad the sun was behind him.
IMG_3968-L.jpg

You can come up with a caption but I think it went something like this:
Ron: Dudes, this is crazy, what the heck are we doing out here???
Joah: Man if you made an XR600 look this good, you'd be out here too!

IMG_3969-L.jpg

Unfortunately just as we reached the top the fog blew in... but somewhere down there is the Columbia River. Only 1000 feet in X and a 1000 in Y :)
IMG_3970-L.jpg

It felt a little Arctic up there.
IMG_3971-L.jpg

Above the River.
[ame="http://vimeo.com/57992746"]Above the River - Mattawa on Vimeo[/ame]

Meanwhile, we'd lost about half our group who couldn't claw their way up. We figured we'd better go see what was going on, and we found Jay loaning his XR400 to the others (KTM350EXC... KTM450EXC... :lol2:) so they could climb the hills. Needless to say I'm not going to let James forget that one any time soon. ;-):lol2:

Humble KTM rider.
[ame="http://vimeo.com/57992744"]James trades his KTM for an XR400 on Vimeo[/ame]

Having had enough of snow, we dropped back into the Erzberg/Romaniacs canyon and I just had a ball. Loved the stuff.
IMG_3977-L.jpg

My new Motosportz damper got a workout for sure.
IMG_3982-L.jpg

We ran back through the trailhead and after a healthy dose of Eastern Washington whoops headed up another promising looking canyon towards the river. It got gnarly pretty quickly and claimed it's first rider, Ron on a brand new, shiny KTM500EXC. Joah helped him pick it up and then Ron slipped or Joah dumped it on him... Ouchy...
IMG_3984-L.jpg

There was some trepidation but the rest of us made it without too much drama.
IMG_3985-L.jpg

Jay made it look easy.
[ame="http://vimeo.com/57992747"]Jay on the XR in Mattawa on Vimeo[/ame]

Shiny 500EXC not as shiny any more.... but still pretty shiny. :eat:
IMG_3986-L.jpg

The thing about going UP the canyon meant that we were gaining altitude again. Meaning that we were soon to be back in the snow. At this point myself, my buddy James, and Ron on the 500EXC are thinking to ourselves...
... selves, if we go down there, we may never claw our way back out...
IMG_3989-L.jpg

But claw we did... there are two, maybe three bikes in this picture, two of which are being picked up from taking diggers. Most people who ride in this crap have four wheels or two skis and a track. We weren't that smart.
IMG_3991-L.jpg

Ron and I starting to think maybe we'd had enough.
IMG_3992-L.jpg

Jeff after redlining his heart rate and calling it quits. Dunlop D606s are way too hard for this stuff.
IMG_3993-L.jpg

A word from our sponsors... Boneyard Beer and AirLink Critical Care :)
IMG_3995-L.jpg

And one you Texas guys might get a kick out of. :-P
IMG_3996-L.jpg

Time to get the heck out of there. After some serious slip-n-slide on an icy road (I took a good digger and tweaked my bars) we dropped elevation and found softer snow.
IMG_3998-L.jpg

Pretty big country out there.
IMG_4000-L.jpg

Git'n out of Dodge (while trying not to kill ourselves).
IMG_4002-L.jpg

After changing out my wet socks James and I did one more little loop as the sun set below the fog bank.
IMG_4010-L.jpg

Vamanos!
IMG_4011-L.jpg

James and I loaded bikes and headed for an old high-school buddy's house in Kennewick as evening approached. Dropping down towards the river we drove into a bunch of freezing fog. Visibility dropped to the point where we could literally see two of the dashed lines in front of the truck, and that was it. Ugh...

After about an hour of that we popped out and made it to Kennewick. James lasted until 8:00 PM before going completely out, although he was unconscious on his feet for an hour before that. I made it to 9:00. :giveup:

The next morning (New Year's Eve) we beat feet south, dreading that we'd be on snow and ice for hours like the day before. Crossing at Hermiston we passed the massive Umatilla Chemical Depot, with miles and miles of bunkers. Agent Mulder would have a field day out there. A short bit further and we stopped for a great breakfast in a little town called Boardman along the Columbia River. It was still a bit chilly out, with patches of freezing fog...
IMG_4015-L.jpg

In the diner there were pictures along the walls of a very large school and lots of potato fields that were submerged by the John Day Dam in the mid-1960s. They burned the school before the river took it.

Dropping down to the river. Lots of history under that water.
IMG_4018-L.jpg

Thankfully, *huge* thanks actually, the trip home was much better than the one heading out.
IMG_4023-L.jpg

After a much easier cruise we made it home, safe and sound from Snowpacalype 2013! I think we punched our man cards on that one, most people would have gotten out of bed and said "nah.... no way". Not exactly sure if that means we're cool cats or just slower than most...
IMG_4027-L.jpg

Love the pic of your buddy on the CRF, looks like he's as hot as the bike!

I'm thinking the cold keeps you guys from firing on all cylinders! :eek2:

I am sure the riding is a blast, but I HATE being really cold...

I'm thinking the cold keeps you guys from firing on all cylinders! :eek2:

I am sure the riding is a blast, but I HATE being really cold...

Working way too hard to stay upright to be cold, Scott. The only thing cold was my feet... Shoulda put some plastic bags in my boots. Videos are uploaded, with any luck I'll get em added tonight.

Working way too hard to stay upright to be cold, Scott. The only thing cold was my feet... Shoulda put some plastic bags in my boots. Videos are uploaded, with any luck I'll get em added tonight.

When I lived in NYC in the fifth grade, we used empty bread bags. We'd put on one pair of socks, slip the bags over those, then add a second pair of socks. We had to buy our boots a size or so larger than normal. Keeping the feet dry is paramount!!

You Oregon guys are crazy :eek2:

2nd that. You western yankees (wankees?) are made of some stern stuff. :rofl:

Luckily the weather here in CenTex was pleasant enough for the Fredericksburg pilot/owner of a BeechCraft Staggerwing to go up for a flight. I was lucky enough to see his return while out sightseeing the Hill Country. As I was snapping pictures from a distance he waved me over and gave me a tour of the plane. Said it took 30min to preflight and an hour to postflight (mainly cleaning). Should've gotten the bike in at least on of the shots. :doh:

I have a blurry video of it taxiing but the audio is "big radial engine at idle" intoxicating. See if I can figure out how to post it.

Edit: Added taxiing video FB link.

BeechCraft Staggerwing
SW_01.jpg

Cockpit
SW_cockpit.jpg

Spinner
SW_spinner.jpg

His other rides
hanger_toys.jpg

I lunched at the Harper Community Park
harper_comm_park_1.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool. The sound of a radial engine is indeed intoxicating. I've flown into Fredericksburg at least a hundred times (a high school buddy of mine used to run the hotel and cafe there) and don't remember ever meeting that guy. Will have to go look him up and check out his rides.

2nd that. You western yankees (wankees?) are made of some stern stuff. :rofl:

Luckily the weather here in CenTex was pleasant enough for the Fredericksburg pilot/owner of a BeechCraft Staggerwing to go up for a flight. I was lucky enough to see his return while out sightseeing the Hill Country. As I was snapping pictures from a distance he waved me over and gave me a tour of the plane. Said it took 30min to preflight and an hour to postflight (mainly cleaning). Should've gotten the bike in at least on of the shots. :doh:

Awesome! One of the 2 or 3 most beautiful aircraft ever made.

Edit: Scott you lived in NYC???

Edit: Added video content.

Back