• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The Adventure Begins... Tejas A La Tierra

Re: Troy Sighting

He's like one of those garden gnomes that gets stolen from your yard and starts turning up all over the world...

i-J8vnD3k-L.jpg

Too funny. Good to see you in Bend, Oregon.

Troy,

The winter scene in the photo above is quite a departure from most of the pictures on your trip! Welcome back to the north side of the border. I hope you make it back to TEXAS soon.

Dale

Re: The Adventure Begins... Iguazu Falls and Foz do Iguacu, Brazil

From Puerto Iguazu, Argentina I traveled a short distance to Foz do Iguacu, Brazil.
Brazil+-+0358.jpg

There was an immigration and customs checkpoint that I passed through with no problems. I dropped my things off at a hostel and rode to the park on the Brazilian side.
Brazil+-+0368.jpg

I signed up for a tour of the park which included a ride in a tram and boat.
Brazil+-+0375.jpg

The guide took our group through a number of trails and pointed out unique characteristics of the flora and fauna.
Brazil+-+0380.jpg

But the real adventure began once we put on these life preservers.
Brazil+-+0617.jpg

We boarded a zodiac boat and headed down the Parana River.
Brazil+-+0624.jpg

It started out as a pretty calm ride down the river.
Brazil+-+0269.jpg

But we also passed through some rapids.
Brazil+-+0628.jpg

We were able to pass nearby the falls on the Argentinian side.
Brazil+-+0640.jpg

And passed by this complete rainbow.
Brazil+-+0665.jpg

And then we approached the falls up close and personal on the Brazilian side.
See Video
Here is a short 1 minute video about riding the zodiac boat through Iguazu Falls. We actually passed under the falls 3 or 4 times.
Brazil+-+0360.jpg

After the tour I hopped on a bus to visit another part of the falls.
Brazil+-+0413.jpg

I got off the bus and started walking along a trail.
Brazil+-+0381.jpg

I could see the falls in the distance.
Brazil+-+0385.jpg

As I got closer I caught a better view.
Brazil+-+0399.jpg

And then from this vantage point I could see almost the entirety of the falls on the Argentinian side.
Brazil+-+0436.jpg

I walked some more and caught glimpses of various falls on the Brazilian side.
Brazil+-+0468.jpg

I liked this image with the mist rising off the falls.
Brazil+-+0501.jpg

A different vantage point allowed me to look down the river.
Brazil+-+0584.jpg

At this location I was practically standing on top of the falls.
Brazil+-+0589.jpg

Another day... another sunset... over Iguazu Falls.
Brazil+-+0465.jpg

Iguazu Falls... one of the seven wonders of the natural world.

For the complete story visit www.TheAdventureBegins.tv

Re: The Adventure Begins... Motorcycle Maintenance on the Go

I left Foz do Iguacu and headed east.
Brazil+-+0748.jpg

Along the way I stopped at a gas station to fill up with gas and rest. I could tell that a few other motorcyclists had stopped at this station due to the large number of motorcyclists stickers on the window. It's a common thing in Brazil at certain resting points for motorcyclists to leave a sticker of their club, journey or sponsor.
Brazil+-+0751.jpg

Realizing that the gas station was probably friendly to motorcyclists I decided to ask them if I could change my oil in their maintenance garage. The said that it would be okay and even offered me a drip pan made out of an old plastic container. I did a quick change of the oil... then back onto the road... east.

For more visit www.TheAdventureBegins.tv

Re: The Adventure Begins... Curitiba, Brazil... A Tour of the City

After a very long day of riding... probably 10 hours... I arrived into the town of Curitiba, Brazil.
Brazil+-+0752.jpg

While in Foz do Iguacu I met a fellow motorcyclist named Rodolfo. Rodolfo was in the process of starting a business and hostel for motorcyclists in Foz do Iguacu. His business is called The Biker's Help Desk. Stop by if you are in the neighborhood. Well, Rodolfo introduced me to his brother Roberto and they offered to let me stay at his brother's apartment in Curitiba. This is Roberto and his roommate Gaspar.
Brazil+-+0753.jpg

I took a tour of Curitiba. The city is a very modern and clean city. It looks as if it may have been master planned. The city has a nice system of mass transit, parks and commercial areas.
Brazil+-+0756.jpg

This is the botanical gardens.
Brazil+-+0758.jpg

The city center and cathedral.
Brazil+-+0760.jpg

I came across this production being filmed on a Red camera.
Brazil+-+0785.jpg

The city center historical district.

Church

Water fountain and sculpture

Blooming tree in the city center

Paiol Theatre

Parana Pine Tree

Arab memorial and museum

The Mercado Municipal was perhaps the best market that I visited in all my travels.

They had all sorts of goods.

Fresh fruits and vegetables.

Sauces

Dried goods

Seafood

Wine

They even had an organic section with fresh produce

And a very nice food court within the market.

I just stayed for a short time in Curitiba, because I was anxious to visit the Brazilian coast.

For the complete story with photos visit Curitiba

How interesting. I actually recognize one sticker-Team Ruptured Buzzard from my friend and author Stovebolt.

Re: The Adventure Begins... The Novo Museu or Oscar Niemeyer Museum and Street Art

Brazil+-+0822.jpg

While in Curitiba, I visited the Oscar Niemeyer Museum. The museum focuses on the visual arts, architecture and design. It is also known as Museu do Olho or Museum of the Eye, due to the design of the building.

Oscar Niemeyer was a Brazilian architect who is considered to be one of the key figures in the development of modern architecture. Niemeyer was best known for his design of civic buildings for Brasília, a planned city which became Brazil's capital in 1960, as well as his collaboration with other architects on the United Nations Headquarters in New York City. His exploration of the aesthetic possibilities of reinforced concrete was highly influential on the architecture of the late 20th and early 21st centuries.
Brazil+-+0813.jpg

Brazil+-+0830.jpg

Brazil+-+0833.jpg

Brazil+-+0838.jpg

After visiting the museum I must say that I was more impressed with the design of the exterior building that the collection of art.
Brazil+-+0761.jpg

I also took a walk around Curitiba and saw some pretty interesting street art.

For the full story with photos visit The Novo Museu

Re: The Adventure Begins... Ilha do Mel (Island of Honey)...beaches...beaches...

When I think of Brazil, I think of miles and miles of coast and beautiful beaches. I was ready for a little sun and fun. So, from Curitiba I headed due east to the coast. My destination was the Ilha do Mel (Island of Honey).
brazil+-+ilhadomel.jpg

I rode about 120km to a small town on the coast called Ponta do Sul. In Ponta do Sul I found a pay-by-the-day garage and parked my moto. I think that it cost me about 15 Brazilian Reales. Then I walked down the street and caught a ferry. On Ilha do Mel... no vehicles are allowed.
Brazil+-+0843.jpg

The ferry ride was a short ride across a bay that lasted about 30 minutes.
Brazil+-+mapa_ilha_do_mel.jpg

There were basically three small towns on Ilha do Mel... Fortaleza, Brasilia and Encantadas. I landed in Encantadas.
Brazil+-+0848.jpg

When the road ended, the adventure began on foot.
Brazil+-+0850.jpg

No worries... all the roads on the island were actually sand trails.

Encantadas seemed to consist of a scattering of houses, a few small hotels and a few restaurants all interlinked by the sand trails.

A typical colorful house.

A typical restaurant.

A nice little hotel.
Brazil+-+0852.jpg

It was the middle of the week and there were not many tourists on the island. I think that I spotted maybe six. On my first day on Ilha do Mel I decided to take a walk to the other side of the island... I followed this sand trail.

It opened up to the ocean.

I walked a little further along some marsh and sand dunes.

I found a trail that passed over a hill and by a rock outcropping.
Brazil+-+0863.jpg

The trail led to a secluded beach.

On the far side of the secluded beach I found La Gruta das Encantadas (Cavern of Enchantment).
Brazil+-+0873.jpg

I walked on and found this picturesque cove.

The sun started to set in the west.

I headed back to town by a pathway through some grasslands.
Brazil+-+0886.jpg

Back in Encantadas, I enjoyed a dinner of shrimp, fries, carrots, beats, tomatoes, rice and feijao (beans).

The next day I decided to explore a little more of the island.

I headed down a different trail.

Crossed a few beaches and hills... came across this cross.
Brazil+-+0893.jpg

Passed by this shrine by the sea.

Sea urchins in a tide pool.

Mollusks clinging to the rocks.

Lichen on the rocks.

A mollusk shell in the tide.

A sand dollar in the tide.

A crab in the tide.

A sand sculpture of sorts.
Brazil+-+0906.jpg

Actually I came across this group of people combing the beach. I stopped and talked with them for a while. The man held a long tube with a suction pump. He would walk along the beach, then poke the tube into the sand and pull the suction pump. He would then release the pump and the contents would be released. Turns out they were combing the beach for some shell fish.
Brazil+-+0905.jpg

They were collecting these little camerao (shrimp).

In the middle of the island at one outcropping there was the Farol das Conchas (lighthouse)

I hiked up the hill to get a closer look.

The lighthouse was constructed in 1870.

From the lighthouse, I could look to the left and see the west side of the island.

I could look to the right and see the east side of the island.

I continued with my walk along the beach.
Brazil+-+0918.jpg

I came across a little village and this wooden fishing boat.

Sea gulls fishing in the marsh.

A young boy, his brother and a bicycle on the beach.
Brazil+-+0921.jpg

At the far north end of the island is a fort.

The Fortaleza Nossa Senhora dos Prazeres.

The fort was constructed in 1769

It contained a courtyard surrounded by thick walls.

The walls had cobblestone walkways

There were a number of antique canons positioned to protect the fort

The fort was surrounded by the tropical jungle.

There was even a jail within the fort.

And the front entrance to the fort had a pretty scenic view of the ocean.

Around the back of the fort there was another trail.
Brazil+-+0948.jpg

The trail led to a battery with more modern artillery weapons.

There were some stone trenches dug into the mountainside.

I walked within the labyrinth of trenches.

A pathway of a different kind.

From the battery, I could look down upon the fort.

As the day drew long, I headed back to Encantadas.
Brazil+-+0884.jpg

The next day I hung out in the town and watched some fishing vessels return to the port.

Soon enough, it was time for me to catch the ferry back to the mainland and leave Ilha do Mel.
Brazil+-+0957.jpg

Taking only pictures and leaving only footprints.

For the full story with photos visit Ilha do Mel

Re: The Adventure Begins... Sand Dollars... Wealth

Brazil+-+0909.jpg

I am going to start counting sand dollars as part of my wealth... making me a very wealthy man to date.

Re: The Adventure Begins... Ilha do Mel (Island of Honey)...beaches...beaches...

Soon enough, it was time for me to catch the ferry back to the mainland and leave Ilha do Mel.
Brazil+-+0957.jpg

Taking only pictures and leaving only footprints.

For the full story with photos visit Ilha do Mel

Most Excellent! So many times during this trip you have left us breathless with your pictures and your stories. :bow:
Mrs. C and myself would just like to say Thank You :clap: for taking us along. Sam

So Troy ... where the heck are you????

We are in Buenos Aires, but you have got to be back home.

So Troy ... where the heck are you????

We are in Buenos Aires, but you have got to be back home.

I am back home. I'm just really behind on my post. Have fun in BA. I'm keeping up with your post. Looks like a pretty epic adventure you're having yourself.

Most Excellent! So many times during this trip you have left us breathless with your pictures and your stories. :bow:
Mrs. C and myself would just like to say Thank You :clap: for taking us along. Sam

I try to make it interesting. Thanks for following along. I had to start somewhere. I never would have been able to take this trip if you had not invited me to that one pie run. Thank you, Sam

My wife and I are on the plane headed to Iguazu. Yesterday in the business district we had the same thing happen to us that happened to yo. A woman sprayed some nasty smelling stuff on us and then tried to help clean it up. Remembering your story we just kept on walking. If I had been a little quicker I would have gotten a picture.

My wife and I are on the plane headed to Iguazu. Yesterday in the business district we had the same thing happen to us that happened to yo. A woman sprayed some nasty smelling stuff on us and then tried to help clean it up. Remembering your story we just kept on walking. If I had been a little quicker I would have gotten a picture.

Glad that you realized what was going on and didn't loose anything. I think that it is best not to escalate the situation. You never know if they have some muscle nearby, they usually work in teams. The worst part for me was that I had clean clothes on because I had just washed my clothes. Oh well, it's a fun story to tell.

Enjoy!

Re: The Adventure Begins... 2013 Dakar Rally

If anyone is interested I'm posting daily the video highlights of the 2013 Dakar Rally on my website... www.TheAdventureBegins.tv

I just finished watching day 6. Thanks for the reminder. I also set my TV to record the highlights on NBCSHD at 0100 am daily.

You are up late.

Re: The Adventure Begins... Sao Paulo... Big Bold City

Okay, I'm going to try to finish up this tale of adventure within the next few days. Here it goes...
Brazil%2B-%2BSaoPaolo.jpg

From Florianopolis I headed north to Sao Paulo. Not much scenery along the way. It was a two lane highway with lots of cars and big trucks. It was a long day of riding... I think maybe 9 or 10 hours. I arrived into the city just as it was turning dark. Luckily the hostel allowed me to pull my motorcycle into the lobby to park it. I checked into the hostel, ate some street food and went to sleep.
Brazil+-+1041.jpg

The next day, I left my moto at the hostel and set off on foot... and subway.
Brazil+-+1083.jpg

São Paulo is the largest city in Brazil, the largest city in the southern hemisphere, and the world's eighth largest city by population.

The first place I visited was the Edificio Italia (Italian Building). It is a tall skyscraper that allows visitors to ascend in an elevator and look out the windows for a pretty magnificent panoramic view of the city.

As I arrived into the city, I could sense that the air quality was not the best. When I looked out over the city and saw all the smog I could understand why. But there were some interesting architecture.
Brazil+-+1067.jpg

I walked around a bit and passed through this railway station. The design of the station was classic. There were huge arcs spanning the interior forming the ceiling, elegant brick masonry, light posts and an abundance of iron craft around the balconies and walkways.
Brazil+-+1065.jpg

I decided to check out one of the museums... the Pinaocteca do Estado.
Brazil+-+1043.jpg

The museum's collection consisted mostly of contemporary art.
Brazil+-+1059.jpg

This giant plate of people made me happy for some reason. The plate was probably about 8 feet in diameter.
Brazil+-+1049.jpg

I was a bit entranced by this collection of chromatic art.

Of course, the photos do not represent the real visual experience of seeing the art in person.

Trust me, it was very alive.
Brazil+-+1058.jpg

Also, I did find a few oil paintings that I really enjoyed.

This collection of oil paintings really seemed to capture rural life in Brazil's past.
Brazil+-+1068.jpg

I made another stop at the Mercado Municipal (Municipal Market).

It was a bustling market with everything a foodie could possibly want.

Wine

Olive oil

Seafood

Spices

Fruits

Cheese

Cured items

Preserves

Fresh meats
Brazil+-+1078.jpg

And a nice dining area to enjoy all the delicacies.
Brazil+-+1087.jpg

I continued walking around the city admiring some of the buildings.

There seemed to be an abundance of sculptures

I only spent two days in Sao Paulo. After spending so much time on secluded beaches, I was not really feeling the vibe of the city. Plus, there was somewhere else that I really wanted to visit... Rio!

For the full story with photos see Sao Paulo

Re: The Adventure Begins... Rio de Janeiro... Cidade Maravilhosa

Brazil+-+1115.jpg

From Sao Paulo I headed east. The countryside turned into gentle rolling green hills.
Brazil+-+1121.jpg

Still, almost the entire ride was along a two lane highway.
Brazil+-+1116.jpg

I rarely pulled over to take photos out of fear that one of the big trucks might roll right over me.
Brazil+-+1128.jpg

After about six hours of riding I reached... Rio de Janeiro!
Brazil+-+1130.jpg

Rio de Janeiro commonly referred to simply as Rio is the second largest city of Brazil, and the third largest metropolitan area in South America.
Brazil+-+1131.jpg

Rio boasts approximately 6.3 million people within the city proper, making it the 6th largest in the Americas, and 26th in the world.
Brazil+-+1136.jpg

Rio is nicknamed the Cidade Maravilhosa or "Marvelous City". Granted on 1 July 2012 in the category Cultural Landscape, Rio de Janeiro is a UNESCO World Heritage Site named "Rio de Janeiro: Carioca Landscapes between the Mountain and the Sea".

It is easy to see why.

Re: The Adventure Begins... Rio de Janeiro... A Normal Day

Brazil+-+1169.jpg

A normal day in Rio involves dressing casual and taking the subway. Today I was taking the subway... then a bus... to arrive at the Parque Nacional da Tijuca.
Brazil+-+1142.jpg

On my second day in Rio, I met a few locals through Couchsurfing.org and we went on a hike in the park. There was Me, Partick, Augusto, Mario and Thatiana.
Brazil+-+1147.jpg

Mario led us down some trails.
Brazil+-+1163.jpg

Around some obstacles
Brazil+-+1146.jpg

We were amongst the trees
Brazil+-+1145.jpg

Even got inside one
Brazil+-+1161.jpg

Found a waterfall
Brazil+-+1155.jpg

Even went for a dip in the water.
Brazil+-+1175.jpg

Then it was back to the city. All in a normal day in Rio.
Brazil+-+1187.jpg

I decided to stay outside of the main tourist areas of Ipanema and Copacabana and chose to stay in the working class neighborhood of Tijuca. This is a park near the subway station. These guys are flying little kites.
Brazil+-+1188.jpg

There is a bit of a kite battle going one to see if one person can cut the line of another person. It's really quite an impassioned past time in Tijuca.
Brazil+-+1127.jpg

Ahhhh... Rio!

Rio looks great.
Did you have any problems with safety/crime there?
How expensive was it compared to the other areas you traveled?
Looks like a city that needs to be visited, no matter what.:sun:
I picture a steak house in every corner too.

Vinny

Rio looks great.
Did you have any problems with safety/crime there?
How expensive was it compared to the other areas you traveled?
Looks like a city that needs to be visited, no matter what.:sun:
I picture a steak house in every corner too.

Vinny

I didn't have any problem with safety/crime, but it does happen. I was living outside of the main tourist area in a working class part of town. So, I think that I was not a typical tourist target. When I did venture into the tourists areas, I traveled light. Definitely the city is trying to reduce crime in advance of the World Cup of Soccer and the Olympics. It's worth a visit.

There are not steak houses on every corner, but there are Sucos (Juice Bars).

Definitely worth a visit.

How did you get along, language wise in Brazil? Do you speak any Portuguese? If not, how hard was it to get along in English ans Spanish?

How did you get along, language wise in Brazil? Do you speak any Portuguese? If not, how hard was it to get along in English ans Spanish?

Andy, I speak Spanish and started learning Portuguese. If I spoke Spanish most of the Brazilians could understand me. But understanding Brazilian Portuguese was a little tough. I ended up spending about 3 months in Brazil and 2 months in Rio. By the end of my time I could speak and understand some basic Portuguese.

Back