• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2013 Texas Adventure Ride & Challenge report and photos

Thank you to everyone who helped with this year's rally. In particular, though, I have to recognize Connie for her superb handling of all the rally logistics, JT & Jack for running sweep, Uncle for covering bike towing issues, Rusty for taking care of the TAR riders meeting, Tim and crew from the CMA, and Lone Star BMW & Butler Maps for all the wonderful door prizes. Without all the assistance the rally simply would not be possible.

After taming the James we headed west out Salt Branch and finished on some of the most challenging roads of the day in the Blue Mountains.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5-pyJkvnYw"]Bill crosses the mighty James River - YouTube[/ame]

043_zps3628dd42.jpg

044_zps85393035.jpg

045_zpscb08c345.jpg

046_zps74e369f0.jpg

047_zps0dac76f3.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVj6MkynSw8"]James River Take Two - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78Dh6drVpBk"]Salt Branch Road TAR - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub2-oGVGHBg"]Bill on Salt Branch - YouTube[/ame]

048_zpsd95ba45a.jpg

049_zpsb0dfae31.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e97GV2j4Zq4"]Runnin' Wild in Kimble County - YouTube[/ame]

Dad and I had a great time. The riding was all nice and easy and we got to see some neat things and meet some neat folks. Here's a few of my pictures:

Neat old church with a historical marker out in front:
GOPR0z007_zps4c092880.jpg

Some terrain was rather varied:
GOPR0z121_zps54a85d4b.jpg

Getting them back on the road:
GOPR7369_zpsc5e82137.jpg

Pop taking care of the James River Crossing:
GOPR7722_zps87d0cc04.jpg

Do it again, Dad!
JamesRiverTug_zps631c49d2.jpg

Someone, at some time, planned to stick around forever.
GOPR7617_zps7574622e.jpg

Pretty Methodist Church in Hilda, Texas. Sign by the highway said "Welkommen" and gave the times for the services:
HildaChurch_zps25c63ff2.jpg

Minister had a stash of Starbursts secreted away in the pulpit. I didn't take any.
InsideHildaChurch_zpsebf902f3.jpg

Had setups like this on each wall, with different images:
HildaStainedGlass_zpsd9b24d9e.jpg

HildaChurchStainedGlass_zps0ef95ef6.jpg

Click on the picture for a little video of the inside:
th_1CrawfordRhodessVideos_zpsfeb10367.jpg

Check out the smoke. Addiction is rough.
GOPR0z397_zps2a89f313.jpg

Officers' Quarters at Fort Mason, in Mason, Texas. Robert E. Lee was stationed here at one time.
GOPR8362_zpseb432193.jpg

Site of Mission Santa Cruz de San Saba, near Menard, Texas. 2,000 Native American warriors, led by the Comanches, attacked a mission here, killing everyone they found inside and completely destroying the mission. Priests were warned, but they refused to leave. They died.
MissionSantaCruzdeSanSaba_zpsc5d38382.jpg

Store/Post Office/Cafe in Roosevelt, Texas:
RooseveltStore_zpsb470828a.jpg

First half of the interior panorama: It's a taxidermist's mecca.
RooseveltStorePanorama1_zpse577c61d.jpg

Second half of the interior panorama: Yes, that's a bear and at it's feet, either a poorly executed mount of someone's house cat or an albino possum
RooseveltStorePanorama2_zps542b62d4.jpg

I found horse shoes of all types, some raccoon traps, and ...
the library: :lol2:
Roosevelthuntingbooks_zps0167e2d7.jpg

Richard explaining river crossings

Attachments

• Richard on river crossings TAC.jpg
    Richard on river crossings TAC.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 197
Great photos. Thanks! I will definitely be there next year! Can't wait.

I was out on the sisters same time as all of you just with my old FZ1-forum buddies (me on my VFR.) I saw a bunch of you out in Leaky while we were in town for lunch.

Just moments earlier made it to the last bump gate, then pavement , just south of I-10. Approx 40 miles to the finish I felt the bike shake, "please not a flat"! As I slowed down, Roger pulled beside me and pointed to the rear tire. I had everything I needed, and with a little help and support from friends, we made it on to the finish line on time!

Attachments

• KLR Flat TAC 2013.jpg
    KLR Flat TAC 2013.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 188
  • reapair.JPG
    reapair.JPG
    176.4 KB · Views: 192
  • KLR Scew in tire TAC2 2013.JPG
    KLR Scew in tire TAC2 2013.JPG
    153.4 KB · Views: 200
I had a most excellent time doing the TAR with my son!
We did the 'Day in the Dirt' on Friday, then on Saturday we went out on 'Enchanted Rock' and came back 'James River'. I rode my DR650 while he rode his KLX250.

A river crossing on Friday

We got back late Friday evening, and crossing the small creek by this old house in the middle of nowhere was pretty fun in the near darkness.

Saturday, my son learned how NOT to pack! He had a yard sale somewhere west of Llano. Scattered his stuff a country mile. Luckily the sock in his countershaft sprocket didn't make him crash.

He's thinking about how to tackle the James River. I made it, he didn't. Neener neener.

Thanks to everyone who put this on! We're already planning on doing the TAC next year, but after over 600 miles in two days on a stock DR seat, I will be putting a different seat on :mrgreen:

Back