• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

april Wharton pie run ride reports

I am getting to old for getting up after two and a half hours of sleep and doing a 533 mile round trip for pie and end up not getting any pie!!:doh::lol2:

ran through pretty evil fog south of Waco that transitioned to off and on light rain and drizzle to a bit south of Eagle Lake.

the return trip had me run into pretty heavy rain quickly that lasted till just outside LaGrange and it was dry running the rest of the way home despite the clouds doing their best to turn evil looking.
got back to the house at 5:40pm

good to see everybody, especially Rebbecca who had a new bike to show off for pie run show and tell, and my good buddy Hunter!

With only a 20% chance of rain my wife and I were confident we would not have to deal with rain. We hit a few light patches in Hempstead,, Bellville and Sealy on the way to Wharton. Not bad. If that were all mother nature would throw our way we knew we would be fine.

...after Wharton was another story. Hit pretty heavy rain in Rosenberg. We went on to Katy for a little get together a friend was having. While there the rain became torrential. Their street flooded in 30 minutes and water came half way up their lawn. I pushed my VFR up in to a neighbors driveway when the water reached my axles. After the water receded we made a break for it and 1 minute down I10 the rain became torrential again. I could barely see anything.

Fortunately my mother lived right by there and I stopped and pulled the VFR in to the garage, jumped in my mothers car and headed the rest of the way to Tomball. It was just way to bad to risk it on the bike. Weather.com sais 20% chance of rain this morning until 4:00PM when it would go to 40%. I think they meant it was a 20% chance of not getting rain.....

Here are the few picks I got today! Nice to see many of again and meet a few new folks!

DSC04777.jpg

DSC04776.jpg

DSC04775.jpg

DSC04774.jpg

DSC04773.jpg

DSC04772.jpg

DSC04771.jpg

DSC04770.jpg

DSC04769.jpg

DSC04768.jpg

I had a great time at my first pie run. TWT has some wonderful people. Yep, got a bit wet on my run back north on 60, then east on 90 to Sugar Land. Just made a donation to TWT as promised. I will be watching for other chances to rendezvous....

I had a wonderful time on my first pie run. It was great meeting some of you and regret not being able to visit with everyone. Nametags would be awesome as I'm struggling to remember everyone's names. Rain wasn't bad on my short trip south but I did have to stop and adjust my idle. I can't wait for the next meetup. I didn't get as many pics as I planned but here are a few.
6atajumy.jpg

seregy8y.jpg

6ese4epa.jpg

Brought to you courtesy of Tapatalk

Nametags would be awesome as I'm struggling to remember everyone's names.

We used to do that, but once some of the runs got to the 50+ participant level it got a little more difficult to manage. I think I wrote out 136 tags at the Conroe Pie Run one year. :sun:

I do still have my magnetic badge that Squeeky (Beemer Becca) made for us one time. :clap:

Cleatus...your comment just turned my Guzzi's spark plug wires red...:sun:

I arrived 'just a bit late' thanks to a couple of road closures and one or two wrong turns. We'll call it fashionable late.

BBQ was great. It was nice chatting with folks I had not seen in a while.

After getting lightly rained on in the parking lot, I decided the worst of the rain had passed us by, and i would take a more relaxed ride home. I meandered northward along the county roads, just making sure I was generally headed in the right direction.

As I approached I-10, I could see dark clouds to the North. OK, maybe I'd cut the meandering short just a bit. I got on I-10 and soon the dark clouds were behind. After seeing Snoopsters F700, I figured I had a few minutes to stop in at Wild West Honda to see what they had on floor. No F700 on the floor, but there was an F800 looking for a home!

I was about 7 miles from home when the sky opened up. Luckily me and the bike are both waterproof.

Had a great time. I hope I can make the next one!

Who was it that was joking about selling their Triumph Tiger 800?

I believe Snoopster has the F800GS, not the newer F700.

I believe Snoopster has the F800GS, not the newer F700.

it is actually a F650GS (see picture above ^^) it does look like a brand new F700GS but is "previously owned"
all three have the same displacement engine, I have no clue what they were smoking when they came up with different numbers instead of letters.

the F650GS should have been F800GS and the full power fancy F800GS could have been the F800GSA. the F700GS is just the newest version of the F650GS with a few more HP.

Last edited:
it is actually a F650GS (see picture above ^^) it does look like a brand new F700GS but is "previously owned"
all three have the same displacement engine, I have no clue what they were smoking when they came up with different numbers instead of letters.

the F650GS should have been F800GS and the full power fancy F800GS could have been the F800GSA. the F700GS is just the newest version of the F650GS with a few more HP.

Right... I knew that and I STILL get confused by their ridiculous naming scheme :doh:

They call it a 650 because they were trying to maintain some kind of model loyalty identity link with the older 650 thumpers even though it has a totally different engine :roll:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367991992.761535.jpg. That is my new to me F650GS that y'all were discussing. Nice turnout and great meeting new faces. Erik & I got a sprinkles on our long trek home to Wallis.

I had a wonderful time on my first pie run. It was great meeting some of you and regret not being able to visit with everyone. Nametags would be awesome as I'm struggling to remember everyone's names.

Glad u enjoyed ur 1st Pie Run. It was nice talking with u. Don't feel bad about remembering names. I meet so many riders, I just usually say, "we've probably met before but I'm horrible with names ...." And then u have a member name and real name to keep up with.

Back