• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Dumpity Dump

Reaction score
First Name
Georgia
Last Name
Rennick
This morning Mark had to attend a meeting at Camp Strake which is a scout camp in The Woodlands, TX. He asked me if I wanted to ride with him. As I have been wanting to capture a picture of a ‘big pig’ barbeque sign located on Hwy105 and Hwy 1486, I said sure and packed my camera and off we went. As usual, I did not take enough pictures. The morning started off cool and when we reached Strake it was a beautiful canvas of sunbeams through the trees and mist coming off the lake. It’s got fun little twisty roads, which are very enjoyable even with the 20 mph speed limit you must obey.

strake1.jpg

strake2.jpg

I left Mark as he traveled on the Goldwing down one of the dirt roads to his meeting area (dang it, no pic) and stopped here….

Can you, canoe?
strake3.jpg

Left the camp and headed South of I45 to 1488 going West, thinking 1486 intersected with 1488. It wasn’t until I passed 1774 that I realized that I am not going to intersect with 1486 and decide to turn the bike around. I spotted a street where I could make a u-turn and pulled in. Well, this innocuous little road was on an incline and was slightly cantered. I went in and up, turned to come back down so I would be pointing the right direction to go back East, but when I went to put my foot down it was on the side of the road which slanted down more than I thought and where I thought there would be asphalt, was nothing but air. By the time my foot made contact, the bike was already on it’s way down and I couldn’t stop it. Plunk! (dang it, no pic, so it never really happened) I had the camera in my tank bag, but by the time I took off my helmet and placed it on the ground, my knight in shining armour was already pulling over in his F250 to save the day. His friend was driving and I swear he was jumping out of the truck before they stopped asking me if I was ok. After we picked it up, I check for fluid leaks and did see some spots so I stuck my finger in them to see what it was, turned out to be coolant. I checked her over and beside the mirror being pushed in, I couldn’t see any other damage. I noticed my tail bag was no longer connected on the right front – ding it, the strap broke.
brokenstrap.jpg
Luckily two weeks ago, I thought it would be a good ideal to start carrying tie wraps on both the bikes which came in handy this morning.

My new found friend said that particular road where I tried to turn was a badly angled hill and help me straighten out the bike so when I got back on, it would not get pulled down again. Well, I was still a little shaky after this and still didn’t think about the camera (ding it, missed a mutt park pic). Climbed back on, hit the button and she fired right up.

Resume search for the pig. 1488 East to 1774 Northwest then to 1486 where I want to be. Along 1486 there are still some wildflowers blooming, but not blue bonnets.

flowers.jpg

Next to this patch of road, there was a pasture with these two big guys. When I first stopped the white one looked me square in the face, but I couldn’t fire the camera fast enough.

boys.jpg

Finally find the big pig.
bigpig.jpg

I really didn’t think I was going to have an adventure this morning, but turned out I was wrong. A simple U Turn changed my day….I am just glad that I called Touratech and had them partial ship my fairing guard and engine guard which we installed about two weeks ago! You know what they say, it’s not a matter of “if”, it’s a matter of “when.” I was wearing my PowerTripp leather jacket and landed on my left elbow, but the jacket doesn't even have a scratch. On the way home, I went back to the road where I fell and, looking at it the second time it looked flatter than the first time, Not even photo worthy to say “this is how bad it was,” but, I made my U Turn at the next gas station…then continued on home.

Georgiapeach said:
attend a meeting at Camp Strake which is a scout camp in The Woodlands, TX.

:doh: No, No, No, No it's in Conroe, not the Woodlands............ :headbang:

Sorry, couldn't resist that. Nice pictures, too bad there isn't a lot of public roads or paths like the one leading back in to the camp property.

Georgiapeach said:
but when I went to put my foot down it was on the side of the road which slanted down more than I thought and where I thought there would be asphalt, was nothing but air.

Do you usually put a foot down doing turns? Not dogging you, but just curious. I finally got my instructor credentials and was toying with the idea of putting together a skills class that would not be affiliated with MSF.

this begs a question I have wanted to ask. In the pictures at the top that run by, why is it there are so many pictures of bikes laid over? I would assume you would want to pick them up as quickly as possible, but it seems this is more of a camera ready event.
What am I missing here?

10-95 said:
Do you usually put a foot down doing turns? Not dogging you, but just curious. I finally got my instructor credentials and was toying with the idea of putting together a skills class that would not be affiliated with MSF.

I was stopped after having already turned around, but I can always use new skills, I think the ones I got are used up.

TexasTri said:
this begs a question I have wanted to ask. In the pictures at the top that run by, why is it there are so many pictures of bikes laid over? I would assume you would want to pick them up as quickly as possible, but it seems this is more of a camera ready event.
What am I missing here?

The guys at advrider have a special place for those photos (mutt parks). You're right, when your bike falls over, the only thing you can think about is picking it back up again, quickly! Maybe if I had been in the dirt, I wouldn't have gotten as shaken up and would have snapped a picture.

Georgia, have you eaten at the big pig? Holder's there in Dobbin serves up some good grub! Terri, Megan and I ate there on the 1st of May for lunch. We ended up there by chance. I told my wife that we were going to eat somewhere that we haven't eaten before, and it was not to be a 'chain' restaurant.

Today I ate at Mock's across the road from Holder's. The BBQ is great, but nowhere to sit with a group. They offered me a seat at a table inside where the store office is which felt strange at first, but the AC was nice and cold. :) See my ride report in the Texas Dualsport Riding After the Ride section in the May 1st report. I added my May 2nd pics and stuff there.

Sorry to hear about the boo-boo on your bike. Been there, done that!

Hey, now mo' better and a tad smarter. Thanks for the pix....springtime in Texas...oh yea !

Chris-V65Magna-TX said:
Georgia, have you eaten at the big pig? Holder's there in Dobbin serves up some good grub! Terri, Megan and I ate there on the 1st of May for lunch. We ended up there by chance. I told my wife that we were going to eat somewhere that we haven't eaten before, and it was not to be a 'chain' restaurant.

Today I ate at Mock's across the road from Holder's. The BBQ is great, but nowhere to sit with a group. They offered me a seat at a table inside where the store office is which felt strange at first, but the AC was nice and cold. :) See my ride report in the Texas Dualsport Riding After the Ride section in the May 1st report. I added my May 2nd pics and stuff there.

Sorry to hear about the boo-boo on your bike. Been there, done that!

No, I have never eaten there, didn't know it existed until one of my bicycle friends told me about it because of the sign. I noticed the place across the street that day because people were outside on the porch. We will have to go someday.

Georgiapeach said:
I can always use new skills, I think the ones I got are used up.
:rofl:
Thats good, I recommend ride like a pro It has helped me in my low speed "manure", any one every do a U turn on a one lane road? Do they end up being a two point turn? Then this video well help fix that also low speed parking lot navigation. I have about a thousand pounds or more and at low speeds it can become something of a handful.

Hemibee said:
:doh: No, No, No, No it's in Conroe, not the Woodlands............ :headbang:

Sorry, couldn't resist that. Nice pictures, too bad there isn't a lot of public roads or paths like the one leading back in to the camp property.

Right next to Cub World!!!

Lee
(Cub Scout Leader)

Back