• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Just Wingin' it 2013

Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Simmons
Last year about this time Linda and I took my trusty old ST1300 to Arkansas and Missouri for a week.
When we returned Linda said we needed to have a more comfortable bike for her if I wanted her to do any more multi-day trips with me. Within a month we bought a used Goldwing.

Last week would be our first real big trip on the Wing. Deals Gap has been on Linda's motorcycle ride Bucket List for many years. So we put together a plan that would take in Deals Gap, and the Bonus Pie Run, plus do other site seeing along the way.

Day 1 Fort Worth to Hope, Arkansas.

We both worked a ¾ day at work and then hurried home to hit the road . We would Interstate it to Hope since we were leaving in the afternoon.

At our gas stop:

IMGP5755-L.jpg

After finding a room for the night we headed for supper. Had a great meal at Jakes. We highly recommend it if you are ever passing through the area.

2013-05-23%2019.00.21-L.jpg

Day 2 Hope to Batesville, MS

The plan for the rest of the ride was to stay on secondary roads and stop more often to see things.

Linda ready to roll

IMGP5757-L.jpg

Our first stop was 5 minutes after we left the Hotel. Bill's house is much bigger than another celebrities house we would visit a couple days from now.

IMGP5759-L.jpg

We rolled on having a great ride through Arkansas until all of a sudden the scenery really flattened out and all the trees disappeared. We were closing in on the mighty Mississippi River.

IMGP5764-L.jpg

DSCN3686-L.jpg

Our next stop would be at “The Crossroads” in the Mississippi Delta town of Clarksdale to see where legend has it that Blues great Robert Johnson sold his sole to the devil to achieve success.

DSCN3705-L.jpg

We then headed to the Ground Zero Blues Club for lunch. The food was good and the atmosphere great.

DSCN3710-L.jpg

IMGP5783-L.jpg

DSCN3717-L.jpg

DSCN3719-L.jpg

DSCN3713-L.jpg

After lunch we walked next dore to spend some time in the Delta Blues Museum.

IMGP5789-L.jpg

IMGP5791-L.jpg

IMGP5792-L.jpg

Unfortunately, we weren't allowed to take pictures inside, but the museum was really neat if you are any fan of the Blues at all.

http://www.deltabluesmuseum.org/index.asp

After the museum we continued East to Batesville, MS and called it a day.

Day 3 Batesville to Fayetteville, Tennessee

We got up early and got rolling so that we didn't waste any cool air to ride. Our stop was to visit the birth place of The King Elvis.

IMGP5796-L.jpg

IMGP5797-L.jpg

IMGP5805-L.jpg

Linda greeting a young Elvis

IMGP5799-L.jpg

DSCN3737-L.jpg

DSCN3741-L.jpg

IMGP5804-L.jpg

Back on the road we go

IMGP5812-L.jpg

We saw this character at our next gas stop

IMGP5813-L.jpg

He walked over to chat with us and we both had a real hard time understanding what he was saying.

After gassing up we were headed for a short stretch of the Natchez Trace.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natchez_Trace

But not before we took a wrong turn and took the “scenic” route to back to where need to go.

IMGP5814-L.jpg

IMGP5817-L.jpg

IMGP5809-L.jpg

IMGP5821-L.jpg

After getting off the Trace we had a short ride to Fayetteville. The town was very nice especially the town square where we stopped to see what kind of lodging was available.

IMGP5825-L.jpg

IMGP5827-L.jpg

IMGP5828-L.jpg

IMGP5829-L.jpg

Day 4 Fayetteville to Athens, Tennessee

Today would be a pretty short mileage day so we had plenty of time to visit Lynchburg. First stop would be for a Tour of the Jack Daniels Distillery. The tour was very interesting enough for those that are not Whiskey drinkers

IMGP5833-L.jpg

JD%20Tour%202013-L.jpg

IMGP5837-L.jpg

Charcoal used for mellowing is made from the wood in the background.

IMGP5839-L.jpg

Where the magic water comes from to make Jack Daniels

IMGP5845-L.jpg

IMGP5847-L.jpg

IMGP5850-L.jpg

IMGP5849-L.jpg

After the tour we went to Historic downtown Lynchburg to check it out. Since it was Sunday morning there was not a huge amount of activity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynchburg,_Tennessee

IMGP5853-L.jpg

IMGP5857-L.jpg

IMGP5860-L.jpg

IMGP5863-L.jpg

IMGP5865-L.jpg

An hour or so after leaving Lynchburg we decided to stop for a snack and a drink. Shortly after we pulled in two DR650's and Triumph Tiger pulled in loaded for bear. They told us they were from North Carolina and were going to see how far they could get on the Trans America Trail (TAT) in 2 weeks. They were on the second day of their trip and told us they had been having navigation problems between Sams roll chart and their GPS's. Since we road on the same road they were on can I claim I rode on the TAT on Wing?

IMGP5867-L.jpg

Day 5 Athens to Gatlinburg, Tennessee

It was cool and sunny when we left the Hotel for Gatlinburg. Before getting there we had some great roads to ride starting out with the Cherohala Skyway. While not technically challenging the Cherohala has nice sweeping turns and great scenery.

IMGP5870-L.jpg

IMGP5880-L.jpg

IMGP5881-L.jpg

IMGP5887-L.jpg

Since Linda is a Graham birth this photo was special for her.

IMGP5888-L.jpg

Click next one for video

IMGP5883-L.jpg

IMGP5902-L.jpg

IMGP5931-L.jpg

Next stop would be Lynn's place for the TWT Bonus Pie Run. We waited around until the appointed time and then when in ate. The pulled pork special was good the peanut butter pie even better.

IMGP5935-L.jpg

IMGP5941-L.jpg

2013-05-27%2012.36.17-L.jpg

We would late find out the that the Pie Man and crew were delayed due to the case of the missing fingers.

We were asked to sign the dragon before leaving Lynn's

IMGP5945-L.jpg

Across the street from Lynn's was the old Court House.

IMGP5938-L.jpg

IMGP5937-L.jpg

IMGP5939-L.jpg

Next stop Deal Gap for Linda cross out another bucket list item.

IMGP5949-L.jpg

2013-05-27%2013.21.41-L.jpg

IMGP5951-L.jpg

2013-05-27%2013.29.41-L.jpg

2013-05-27%2013.32.56-L.jpg

There would plenty of these on ride through the Gap enforcing the now 30 mph speed limit.

IMGP5974-L.jpg

1831618-129Slayer%20%282%29-L.jpg

IMGP5971-L.jpg

307290-L.jpg

307291-L.jpg

King%20Resto-L.jpg

Next up would the Foothills Parkway on the way to Gatlinburg.

IMGP5997-L.jpg

IMGP5999-L.jpg

We arrived in Gatlinburg and found a pretty nice old Hotel in the middle of the tourist area. After cleaning up we went for a stroll and immediately found my favorite beer that unfortunately you can't buy at home in Texas.

2013-05-27%2018.36.08-L.jpg

IMGP6004-L.jpg

IMGP6006-L.jpg

IMGP6007-L.jpg

IMGP6018-L.jpg

IMGP6018-L.jpg

IMGP6016-L.jpg

IMGP6023-L.jpg

IMGP6025-L.jpg

We called it an early night and got a good nights sleep.

Day 6 Gatlinburg rest day.

Today was a planned day off the bike to walk around do some touristy stuff. We started off by walking to the Aquarium.

IMGP6030-L.jpg

IMGP6032-L.jpg

IMGP6035-L.jpg

DSCN3753-L.jpg

DSCN3755-L.jpg

Aquarium-L.jpg

DSCN3762-L.jpg

DSCN3781-L.jpg

IMGP6061-L.jpg

DSCN3812-L.jpg

IMGP6052-L.jpg

IMGP6057-L.jpg

IMGP6063-L.jpg

After the Aquarium we walked back towards the Hotel on the opposite side of the main drag.

IMGP6068-L.jpg

IMGP6071-L.jpg

Had lunch and a rest and then checked out some cool TV Show cars

IMGP6073-L.jpg

IMGP6082-L.jpg

IMGP6076-L.jpg

IMGP6083-L.jpg

IMGP6086-L.jpg

IMGP6097-L.jpg

IMGP6110-L.jpg

After a quick walk through the Guinness Records Museum and our short visit to Gatlinburg was finished.

IMGP6149-L.jpg

IMGP6160-L.jpg

IMGP6170-L.jpg

IMGP6176-L.jpg

IMGP6178-L.jpg

Day 7 Gatlinburg to Roswell, Ga

Today we would take a ride through Smoky Mountain National Park on the way to my brothers house.

IMGP6183-L.jpg

IMGP6186-L.jpg

IMGP6188-L.jpg

IMGP6206-L.jpg

We would soon be back in North Carolina at Newfound Gap.

DSCN3820-L.jpg

IMGP6214-L.jpg

While at this stop we saw a strange thing happen considering where were standing. A Taxi cab pulled in and three people got out with big pack backs. They were being dropped off to do a little hiking for the summer. They were headed to Maine.

IMGP6218-L.jpg

The views from here were just gorgeous.

DSCN3819-L.jpg

DSCN3821-L.jpg

DSCN3825-L.jpg

DSCN3824-L.jpg

DSCN3829-L.jpg

IMGP6225-L.jpg

IMGP6231-L.jpg

Next up would go check out Clingman Dome which is supposed to have a 360 degree view of the Smoky's. To get there was a 7 mile twisty road to the parking area and then a ½ mile hike to the overlook.

IMGP6227-L.jpg

DSCN3835-L.jpg

DSCN3838-L.jpg

IMGP6232-L.jpg

IMGP6235-L.jpg

IMGP6240-L.jpg

IMGP6243-L.jpg

IMGP6244-L.jpg

IMGP6247-L.jpg

Back on the road to Roswell.

DSCN3855-L.jpg

DSCN3863-L.jpg

DSCN3872-L.jpg

IMGP6249-L.jpg

IMGP6251-L.jpg

IMGP6255-L.jpg

After this stop I made a bit of a boo boo and tipped over the Wing in the middle of the road. A couple cars stopped and a very nice guy helped me pick up the bike. Linda said she hit her elbow and my right foot really hurt bad. After we collected ourselves we continued on.

We crossed over in to the mountains of North Georgia and the roads were still awesome. 197 on the West side of Burton Lake was one of the better roads. It was almost 2pm so we decided to stop for lunch. My foot was really hurting but I decided not to take my boot off until we were in Roswell.

IMGP6264-L.jpg

IMGP6259-L.jpg

IMGP6262-L.jpg

IMGP6263-L.jpg

We both had the special Prime Rib French dip that was excellent.

IMGP6266-L.jpg

We pulled into my brother Steve's garage and I soon had my boot off to inspect my foot. Only damage was to my big toe.

IMGP6267-L.jpg

We had great relaxing dinner and visit with Steve and Anita and then hit the hay.

Day 8 Roswell to Jasper. Alabama

We left Roswell around 9am headed West to work our way back home. Linda and Anita when we were departing.

IMGP6268-L.jpg

IMGP6269-L.jpg

My foot was throbbing pretty good we had stayed up late visting the night before so we stopped earlier than planned. We both took long naps and then walked next door for supper and then to see the new Star Trek movies. All in all still good day.

Day 9 Jasper to Crossett, Arkansas

After riding for an hour or so we did another 30 mile section of the Natchez Trace to connect a couple roads together.

IMGP6270-L.jpg

IMGP6271-L.jpg

IMGP6272-L.jpg

After a quick stop for gas in Greenwood we headed to Indianola to check out the BB King Museum.

DSCN3877-L.jpg

DSCN3874-L.jpg

IMGP6274-L.jpg

DSCN3876-L.jpg

IMGP6276-L.jpg

The museum was very well done with a lot of history about BB King and about living in Mississippi during the birth of the Blues era. Unfortunately, like the Delta Blues Museum in Clarksdale no photos were allowed inside.

It was pretty warm steamy outside when left the museum. After yesterdays short day Linda said she was good for a couple more hours of riding to make up a little for yesterday. We crossed back over the Mississippi on what looked like almost a new bridge and finished or day in Crossett.

Day 10 Crossett to Fort Worth

Since there was a 60% chance of thunder showers we decided to take I-30 when we got to Texarkana to make a little better time getting home.

IMGP6277-L.jpg

This was our basic route:

https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=6af251992a3ac5233

With the exception of the tip over in the Smoky's it was a great trip. There were severe storms all over the place while we were traveling and we only managed to get sprinkled on a couple times all week. The Wing worked very well for Linda and I on this trip.

Rich, great pictures, enviable trip.
Hope the toe is better and glad there were no other injuries.

Thanks for sharing. I took the wife bike shopping a couple days ago, since she's thinking she'd rather be a passenger than a rider. I should've never done it, but I let her test-sit a Goldwing, and now I might be doomed. Your story shows me that it might not be all bad.

Nice report, funny thing is the wife and I rode almost everyone of those places when I had my Wing. Touring is great fun, I miss it. Enjoy.

..When we returned Linda said we needed to have a more comfortable bike for her if I wanted her to do any more multi-day trips with me...

Haha. That's how we ended up with the LT.
Looks like it was a good trip.

Great trip! Someday we will do the same. Just have to wait till kids finish school. :-)

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk HD

Rich,

What a great trip report. I enjoyed the pictures you took of the delta region, land of the blues. I recognized the bar in Clarksdale you went into. It was used in a rock video by the 80's group called The Firm. The band consisted of former Led Zeppelin guitar hero Jimmy Page and Paul Rodgers, the former singer from Bad Company. Anyway, the video is shot inside that bar. The video ends with Jimmy playing slide guitar on a beer bottle. I think the song was called Satisfaction Guaranteed. Anyway, if it was not for the delta blues, the rip off British rock acts of the 60's probably would have not materialized. Those Brits stole copyright delta blues songs all over the place...including those from poor ol' Willie Dixon.

It looks like you rode one of the best bikes for touring ever made. Your gal sure looked like she was comfortable. I bet you really like the custom suspension work on it too!

Thanks for taking us along!

RB

Great pictures!:clap: Planing on going to deals gap this summer 1st time for me.

What a fantastic report! Thanks for sharing! :clap: :sun:

Yep looks like a fun trip. Likin' that white Wing.

Was traffic bad thru Smokey Mt. Natl. Park? I went on a nature photo clinic and it was always stop n go. That dome is cool.

Was traffic bad thru Smokey Mt. Natl. Park? I went on a nature photo clinic and it was always stop n go.

Traffic was not bad at all. We rode through there on a Wednesday morning, and all not schools were out yet.

Fantastic report, great pictures! Thanks for providing my vacation this year.

Rich....Ya'll sure got some great shots from the trip. Makes me wanna head east real bad. My last trip over was in the Fall with all the trees in full on foliage mode. NICE

Back