• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Great place to stop for gas in New Mexico.

Reaction score
First Name
Dennie
Last Name
Spears
For those that are traveling to Arizona, New Mexico or Colorado, I stumbled upon an interesting attraction. There is a fairly new station at exit 369, highway 93 and 392, just after crossing the border into New Mexico on I-40. The sign says, “Free car show,” but there’s much more than cars.
There are 2 child cars
IMG_5973_zps727bb1ca.jpg

Old kerosene pumps like my grandfather had at his grocery store.
IMG_5972_zps0deac18f.jpg

Some toys
IMG_5971_zps92a2078c.jpg

Coke machines, Juke boxes and several old cash registers.
IMG_5967_zps6b158e25.jpg

IMG_5968_zps5806e24a.jpg

A few trucks
IMG_5960_zps93d5e4a9.jpg

IMG_5939_zps76485614.jpg

A scooter. A question for you scooter experts: Cushman said my tank shift Eagle was a 3 speed, but there was back, forward and middle which was neutral. Did Cushman consider neutral a speed or is my memory failing me?

IMG_5938_zpse4a5d87e.jpg

A goldwing
IMG_5936_zpsa73d0100.jpg

This VW beetle limo was traveling from Oklahoma City to Albuquerque and back. It was not part of the show, but was parked in the parking lot.
IMG_5934_zps057b6cb1.jpg

I believe it is made from a ‘71 and a’73 bug
IMG_5933_zpsadb18cdb.jpg

IMG_5932_zps0c71c82f.jpg

Lots of convertibles, like this 1st year T-Bird.
IMG_5956_zps9d6de92a.jpg

And these
IMG_5940_zpsef835c7d.jpg

IMG_5941_zps786e79cd.jpg

IMG_5942_zps4bf4fbb5.jpg

Lots more room to work back in the day
IMG_5962_zpsfbafc008.jpg

IMG_5953_zps2c742066.jpg

Lots more. Look at all the small stuff in the background. It’s a good place to stop, for sure.

Back was low, forward was high. Why call it a 3 speed?

Thanks for all the pics. They do bring back some memory's.
I would take the Vet in a heartbeat...

Back was low, forward was high. Why call it a 3 speed?

the Cushman truckster had/ has a three speed transmission plus reverse. I have only seen two speed transmissions on the two wheeled models but there is a guy who makes a three speed transmission for them.

been driving thru there for ever & never homed in on it

will be back thru there in the fall & will have to verify ..........

thx

sw

The place is called "Russel's". (not sure of the spelling) There is a smaller version (much smaller) on I-25 north of Springer, NM where highway 58 heads for Cimarron.

The place is called "Russel's". (not sure of the spelling) There is a smaller version (much smaller) on I-25 north of Springer, NM where highway 58 heads for Cimarron.

That's why it looks familiar. The location didn't make sense to me. I've stopped at the one on 58 several times.

I see where it is on the map now will try that way next time we head that direction. Normally cross over to NM at Clovis/Farwell. Drew

been driving thru there for ever & never homed in on it

will be back thru there in the fall & will have to verify ..........

thx

sw

I think it's fairly new. It probably wasn't there the last time you were there.

Back