• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Pagosa Springs & Ouray Ride - 2 young men and 1 old man

Reaction score
The backdrop is as follows: Three men setting out for the ride of a lifetime. Translation: Two much younger men try and kill an old man. The first young buck is riding a newly acquired 2006 KLX250s (aka KLexslax) and will be knighted as Sir Stuart (aka cheap dirt bag #1). The second young buck is riding a newly acquired 2001 DRZ400e (aka DRizzl-Eee) bike with all the sweet mods necessary to bring it to street worthiness and the pilot will be knighted Sir Brian (aka cheap dirt bag #2). Finally the old man (aka cheap dirt bag #3) will be riding the brand new 2013 Husqvarna Te449 (aka TeaBagger that needs oil changed more than my diapers).
ColoradoTrip005.jpg

The joy comes in part from the planning of the event; for me at least. I postulate a plan that will encompass most of the “must see” passes around Ouray, Colorado. Based on the readings from other ride reports and epic journeys others have posted here and on Advrider. The adventure is planned and agreed to by all dirt bag riders (FYI-difficult to get all three dirt bags on the same page considering all would prefer to out “cheap” each other). Much like herding cats I believe. Nevertheless, we agree to stay in Pagosa Springs, Colorado for the first leg of the trip and then migrate up to Ouray, Colorado for the second leg of camping and exploring. Sounds perfect huh? Dang I am planning genius!
Navigation will be handled by the Sir Stuart for the first leg in Pagosa Springs, as his parents have a cabin there and were generous enough to allow two cheap dirt bags (#2,#3) to stay with their son for free99. Did I mention we are cheap? The second leg, in Ouray, will be navigated by yours truly – cheap dirt bag #3-Sir Markus)
ColoradoTrip001.jpg

The departure begins at 6 a.m. sharp. For Sir Stuart this means a sleepless night, since his A/C unit in his house crapped out on him leaving a puddle of water in the drain reservoir. We will be taking Brian’s truck (awesome machine) and pulling a trailer (Stuarts) full of ponies (majority from the Te449). Notice how I manage to escape any vehicle cost or wear and tear – insert cheap smile here:trust:. Believe me, it is an art form to out cheap this group. Trailer is loaded with bikes the previous night to allow for an early start.

Dirt bag #1's (Stuart) packing list:
Elephant Circus Tent (Extremely large tent)
IT equipment, IT equipment, IT equipment, IT equipment and more IT equipment
Power Surge protector
100' extension cord
Laptop
Charges, USB ports
Multiple batteries
General rats nest of wires
*Notice a trend above - -yeah Stuart is an IT guru:eek2:

Dirt bag #2's (Brian) packing list:
Normal size tent
Camping supplies
Clothes
Sleeping bag
Camping stove
Air mattress
Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer, and yes more beer, and liquor
*Note a trend above -- yeah Brian is well stocked :clap:

Dirt bag #3's (Me) packing list:
Infant tent (tiny tent barely room for a small child)
Camping supplies
Clothes
Sleeping bag
Lantern
Air mattress
Depends under garments (jk)

ColoradoTrip009.jpg

The journey begins – thank goodness Brian’s truck has a Saudi gas reserve added to it (that thing is the KLR of trucks). I think it has like a 70 gallon tank in the bed? We leave Waco and head towards Abilene and Brian (thinking cheaply) suggests we stop at his uncle/aunts house to get a free breakfast. This is a no brainer; considering we are all cheap. We stop and meet his uncle (super nice guy – ex military). His uncle buys us all a fantastic breakfast at this little Mexican place in Baird, Texas. We check the straps and Brian makes the necessary pee break (every five minutes or so – hmmmm maybe he should use my depends under garments).
ColoradoTrip010.jpg

ColoradoTrip013.jpg

We travel through Texas without incident and come into New Mexico while it is slightly raining. We decide to stop at Alotaburger (according to Brian this is the equivalent to Whataburger in Texas). The food is good and we check the straps and load – all is well. Load back up and head further north. The Chevy carriage is developing a funny odor – could this be feet? Oh yes, Markus has slipped his shoes off and privileged the young bucks with some nice pheromones like potpourri. Sweet justice for all the “old man” comments!
ColoradoTrip015.jpg

ColoradoTrip016.jpg

ColoradoTrip019.jpg

ColoradoTrip020.jpg

ColoradoTrip022.jpg

There is also a trend to blaze down the road at rocket speeds to make sure and avoid the loss of a bet. I mistakenly bet the two young bucks that if we leave at 6 am Friday morning we would not get there before dusk. It takes 15 hours of driving to get to Pagosa Springs from Waco. I did not account for the 1-hour reduction in time zone so my estimation was completely off. I lost, but with the aid of speedy and rapido driving like they stole something, breaking most laws between Waco and Colorado. We still barely beat the deadline of dusk and I subsequently owed them one margarita each. I am pretty sure I saw most of New Mexico and Colorado in a blur.
ColoradoTrip024.jpg

ColoradoTrip025.jpg

ColoradoTrip026.jpg

ColoradoTrip027.jpg

ColoradoTrip028.jpg

ColoradoTrip032.jpg

ColoradoTrip033.jpg

The consensus was to begin slow and let us each adjust to the more difficult terrain. In other words, gradually build to the more technical type riding tackling light to moderate trails first then moving on to more difficult trails. Sounds like a great plan. Implementation however; was much different. Dialogue is as follows:

Markus:so we are headed toward the easier trails?
Stuart: oh yes, that is what I would prefer as well, follow me.
Brian: sweet! let’s hit the hardest trail first and kill the old man.
Markus: are you guys sure this one is the easiest one?
Markus: Is there anything I should know about since I am blazing up the trail first?
Stuart: ummm, yes this is the easiest -- nothing to worrying about.
Brian: HAHAHAHA…..sucker!!
Markus: OH Crud! (crashing and sliding down jagged rocks)
Stuart: Lmao; that is exactly where I crashed – that stump will get ya!
Brian: LOL – get out the way old man let me show you how it is done.
(scurries up the trail like it was nothing)
Stuart: I didn’t make it. (crashing)

**Note: Brian came back down and helped me pick up the bike and pointed me in the right direction – excellent rider and genuinely a great guy.

ColoradoTrip036.jpg

We all make it to the top without damaging the bikes or ourselves (except for my riding ego and confidence). I am still under the impression this is the easiest trail to be attempted and I begin to fret over my ability. More on that later.
ColoradoTrip039.jpg

ColoradoTrip041.jpg

At the top we find several splits and turn off and we venture off with Brian leading this time – as I no longer trust the dirt bags . We do several nice little trails with small whoops and mud puddles (lots of fun) then we stop for lunch at the top of the mountain. Stuart really knows his way around the area and splits us out on the main road to transport us to Devils mountain pass.

It is becoming late afternoon and we start the climb up Devil’s mountain. It is steep and rocky (but everything is up here) but manageable. It begins to lightly rain as we continue our ascent. We get ¾ of the way up and it starts becoming very slick and difficult. Here I go down again; I was following Stuart on a long ascent and failed to maintain adequate following distance and came up on him very quickly and down I went. Luckily my elbow and shoulder landed softly on two nicely sharpened rocks and my handle bars gently massaged my right knee . Gotta love the Rockies!

ColoradoTrip057.jpg

My fellow riders rush to my aid and help me upright the bike – I think they were actually feeling sorry for the old man at this point (I’ll take it). This would be my last fall of the trip. The first day and I have dropped the bike twice, ***. Am I losing my touch? Not hardly, I proceeded to take the lead and never looked back – except to await my travel companions. It began to rain harder and we all were forced to cut the climb short of the top. We will be back tomorrow to conquer this beast. That night we went to the local pub for a night cap and some vittles.

The morning brought with it the smell of some awesome food Brian had prepared – excellent cook. Sausage, pancakes, and bacon mmmmmm! We prepped the bikes and were off to conquer Devils mountain and see what else we could tackle. At the foot of the mountain was a dead animal and would make for an excellent lunch break upon our trip up and back down (Stuart is a vulture). The journey up was much easier this time, beginning with some good ruts and nice puddles. I seized this opportunity to blast through it since my stock tires are really designed for mud/sand not jagged rocks. But when someone has a hammer everything becomes a nail . To the top we go – but wait I find another very technical spot of about 25 yards of very large boulders during a nice angle climb. This time I will let the “boss” handle this spot first. In true form Brian hits these boulders and just picks the perfect line and squirts out the other side; making it look like it is smooth black top. He turns around and smiles and says: Piece of cake!
ColoradoTrip046.jpg

ColoradoTrip045.jpg

My turn; when in doubt throttle out! I hopped on the 37.5 inch saddle and blasted through the garden of stones. There will be no Te449 fertilizer for this garden . The little green goat (KLX250s) is next and scampers over the stones without incident. The top of the mountain is just over the next batch of aspens and ends with a little loop. There is a geological survey marker at the apex to mark the feet level.

ColoradoTrip042.jpg

ColoradoTrip043.jpg

ColoradoTrip044.jpg

On the way back down it gets interesting; as we have decided to let Brian lead. I could not help but notice the unfamiliarity of the terrain but I am game for a new path. Off he goes down the little unmarked trail that rapidly has some steep whoops and trickling creeks (I would insert a pic here but we don’t stop for such things when Brian has the reins). The little trail ends without event and we begin to back track when Brian finds another trail. This is appropriately hidden and is more of a chipmunk path than trail. It narrows and steepens then becomes largely populated with beach ball size rocks and deadfall trees. We pass under several timbers lying diagonal across the tightrope that we are now navigating. The edge is almost straight down and unencumbered except for the occasional impelling tree or jagged stone. Finally, we come to an abrupt end where there is no way to press forward, not to my surprise Brian dismounts and looks for a way over this huge 80% grade mound. Literally he climbs 10/12 feet up this ledge and finally gives way to sanity and comes back down to the bike. Later I would ask him if he actually thought he might try and scale that with his bike – response was: if there had been something on the other side, yes. Nonetheless, we must somehow turn the bikes around and navigate back the way we came. Good trail all in all – great views!
Minitrail.jpg

ColoradoTrip056.jpg

ColoradoTrip055.jpg

ColoradoTrip054.jpg

ColoradoTrip053.jpg

ColoradoTrip051.jpg

ColoradoTrip050.jpg

ColoradoTrip049-1.jpg

ColoradoTrip048.jpg

ColoradoTrip065.jpg

Lunch at the bottom and damage review of previous days crash:
ColoradoTrip041.jpg

Old creek mining box (slush?msp)
ColoradoTrip083.jpg

On the return trip we find an excellent gravel road and take it back to the cabin for a break. After dinner we did some light forest roads and some trails around Pagosa Springs. The next day we would head up to Wolf Creek Pass on hwy 160. This would carry us to Lobo Lookout around 11.7k feet and carry us through a great tunnel (wheelie spot)

ColoradoTrip067.jpg

ColoradoTrip068.jpg

ColoradoTrip069.jpg

ColoradoTrip071.jpg

ColoradoTrip073.jpg

Next we would journey to a killer water fall on a forest road and get to enjoy some of the most epic vistas I have seen.

ColoradoTrip059.jpg

ColoradoTrip060.jpg

ColoradoTrip063.jpg

ColoradoTrip074-1.jpg

She is a glory hound -- and her owner is super happy to snap a photo when allowed to stop!
ColoradoTrip076.jpg

Against my companions advice I seize the opportunity to take my ride to the apex of the look out point and snap a killer photo :trust:
ColoradoTrip078.jpg

ColoradoTrip080.jpg

ColoradoTrip081.jpg

Brian
ColoradoTrip082.jpg

ColoradoTrip087.jpg

Over the edge:
ColoradoTrip088.jpg

ColoradoTrip089.jpg

Panoramic view:
ColoradoTrip090.jpg

Standing on edge :eek2:
ColoradoTrip091.jpg

Taken while the young men were distracted by other old people talking to them :trust:
ColoradoTrip092.jpg

My ride report -- so the obligatory beautiful old face :lol2:
ColoradoTrip093.jpg

Stuart conquering the rock on the way to waterfall
ColoradoTrip101.jpg

Brian - ready to attack the next challenge
ColoradoTrip102.jpg

ColoradoTrip106.jpg

The whole time we are hiking up this trail - Brian is saying let's do this on the bikes....
ColoradoTrip107.jpg

ColoradoTrip110.jpg

ColoradoTrip111.jpg

Great shot of both the young men!:rider:
ColoradoTrip112.jpg

Be careful Brian - i think i see a smile there?:lol2:
ColoradoTrip121.jpg

Stuart with the ever ready eager look :mrgreen:
ColoradoTrip124.jpg

ColoradoTrip114.jpg

Monday night after riding; we would load the trailer back up and head for Ouray, Colorado via “Million Dollar Hwy – 550). The road to Durango, Silverton and Ouray is packed full of tight twists and wonderful view points, so much so I managed to get car sick for the first time. We stopped in Durango, picked up camping supplies and filters for the Japanese bikes – the Husky parts are nowhere to be found . No worries the bike is running spot on.

ColoradoTrip131.jpg

ColoradoTrip132.jpg

ColoradoTrip134.jpg

ColoradoTrip135.jpg

ColoradoTrip138.jpg

ColoradoTrip141.jpg

Blurred by lightening speeds and refusal to stop :rofl:
ColoradoTrip143.jpg

ColoradoTrip144.jpg

ColoradoTrip145.jpg

:puke:
We arrived in Ouray, checked in and made camp by 2 pm. This enable us to offload the bikes and get a quick ride up to Yankee Boy Basin. Right on schedule . This pass was very easy until the very top section where there were loose sections of large shale looking grey rock during the switch backs. Not a problem for me or Brian. Stuart’s KLX gave him a bit of grief going up the third to last switch back where Stuart decided to park his bike in the wheelie position and dismount. Then the bike would not start. This prompted Brian to laugh so hard he dropped the DRZe. I come back down to see where they are at and make sure they are okay; Brian then proceeds up the pass to complete it while I stay with Stuart and try and get the KLX running. After some time Brian comes back down and we all get his bike going after I magically pull a spark plug socket out of my tool kit – I didn’t even know I put it in there? Anyways we made the change and the KLX fired up without incident going forward. This pass is the one with the beautiful hang over rock – some call the “jeep wash”. This is also where the Coors commercial is filmed.
Yankeeboybasinoverhang.jpg

ColoradoTrip164.jpg

ColoradoTrip165.jpg

ColoradoTrip167.jpg

ColoradoTrip168.jpg

ColoradoTrip170.jpg

Stuarts first real wheelie:
KLXWheelie.jpg

We return to the TentmaHall (Stuart’s 50 man tent) and get to know our neighbors. Three gentlemen riding 2-DRZs and 1-KTM. One guy had broken his foot on Black Bear Pass and the foot looked nasty! He seemed in really good spirits and even road on it the day after it happened. Nice guys! They suggested we do Corksrew Pass, Hurricane Pass, California Pass, and Cinnamon Pass to warm up. This was perfect – as that had been my plan from the beginning.

The next morning we flew up Corkscrew Pass passing most everyone without a single incident. Once we reached the top; I had trouble locating the proper direction but eventually worked it out. While we were up on top I was humbled by this rider on a F800s BMW completely loaded down with gear. The rider came up that pass and dropped it on a few switch backs but made it up there on that heavy bike. Then the helmet came off and it was a young lady with pigtails and a huge smile! Wow; what a rider to journey up that pass with such a heavy bike. I would not have tried it on that bike. She made it and has serious courage. Turns out they are journeying back roads to Canada. They were super nice.
ColoradoTrip176.jpg

ColoradoTrip177.jpg

ColoradoTrip178.jpg

ColoradoTrip179.jpg

ColoradoTrip180.jpg

ColoradoTrip181.jpg

Stuart making some adjustments:
ColoradoTrip183.jpg

ColoradoTrip186.jpg

ColoradoTrip187.jpg

Brian claiming victory:clap:
ColoradoTrip188.jpg

She's a beaut!! And the terrain looks good too ;-)
ColoradoTrip191-1.jpg

Sorry - the sexy redhead loves the headshots :trust:
ColoradoTrip193.jpg

I was not even allowed to get off my bike in this location -- we were in hurry up offense again :doh:
ColoradoTrip196-1.jpg

Red Mountain pass, Hurricane pass and California Pass seemed to blend together but each had there challenges. I kept the lead throughout and never stumbled (although the heights and large rocks were challenging for sure). There was lots of traffic on the passes. Four-wheelers, side-by-sides, jeeps, and motorcycles all crowded the pathways and presented excellent opportunities for new techniques. The climb up Cinnamon Pass was great! The air was cool and the traffic eased a bit. Coming down Cinnamon carried us across Mill Creek and Williams Creek mines and eventually took us around the San Cristobal Lake (very beautiful and large easy gravel road). The gravel road would parallel the Lake Fork Gunnison River and provide us with a cool breeze and wonderful views. Eventually this would place us in Lake City, Colorado around 12 pm. We ate lunch at a local place and got fuel.

We began a journey back up Cinnamon Pass and split over to Animas Forks to catch the bottom of Engineers Pass. Stuart and Brian would tackle climbing to the peak without me. I was not up to the task and had heard bad things about Engineers pass. It was only 1.5 miles up to the peak and I could see them make the climb – in retrospect I would have tackled that peak if I knew it was like Cinnamon (which I later found out it was). Once my party rejoined me at the forks; we started the descent down the lower part of Engineers Pass. This rapidly became very technical and difficult – later Brain would even say “I would not try to go up Engineers Pass the way we came down”. I think he has since amended that statement, however. During the descent Stuart drops his bike, although I didn’t actually see it happen. Also, we see a jeep tipped over hanging off the cliff. Another 4X4 truck is strapped to the jeep attempting to pull it free to no avail. The jeep is literary hanging on some branches to keep it from falling off the cliff. I proceed to jockey around the event.

After I pass the jeep; I notice a small trail to my left – this is the evil “Poughkeepsie Trail”. Which none of us wished to try, given the advice of other riders. Duly noted. Back at camp Tentropolis (Stuart’s huge tent) the guys go for some beers and I just hang out at camp. I have tent envy.

ColoradoTrip198.jpg

Literally the only two photos i have of going down Engineers Pass :doh:
ColoradoTrip202.jpg

Courtesy of Stuart snapping one of me going around the jeep:eek2:
ColoradoTrip206.jpg

:eat:
ColoradoTrip205.jpg

The following morning we discussed what to do. The guys said it did not matter to them and they would do whatever. I then said: If it was me and I felt more comfortable doing these passes, I would certainly not miss the opportunity to tackle Black Bear Pass and Imogene. I myself would not feel comfortable doing Imogene since it would be going up and I heard it was much more difficult than Corkscrew. I told them they should give it a go and I would take Olphir Pass back instead of Imogene. The next day our itinerary included Black Bear Pass, Imogene Pass, or Olphir Pass. I opted for Olphir and Stuart and Brian opted for Imogene. We would split up after Black Bear Pass down into Telluride. We started the climb up to Black Bear Pass and met a few 4-wheelers and hikers. The pass going up is very simple and easy. We all reached the top without any problems. I was leading.
ColoradoTrip207-1.jpg

ColoradoTrip208.jpg

ColoradoTrip210.jpg

ColoradoTrip211-1.jpg

I began the descent and it seemed pretty easy at first then began to get more challenging. There were a series of 8”-12” drop offs and loose rocks, then the drop offs began to become more and more frequent. I thought this might be the “steps” – wrong!

Then all the sudden I look ahead and see lots of different variable step downs and rises. This was for sure the beginning of the steps. I wait for my group to catch up. I stopped replaced the GoPro battery and made sure I had enough memory to film the entire death show.
ColoradoTrip223.jpg

The angle looks deceiving :giveup:
ColoradoTrip224.jpg

This is more accurate :eek2:
ColoradoTrip225.jpg

In conjunction with this....:giveup:
ColoradoTrip226.jpg

ColoradoTrip227.jpg

ColoradoTrip229.jpg

Not a problem :clap:
ColoradoTrip248-2.jpg

ec9e7d47-0dba-41f1-bcd2-677446cc7932.jpg
:zen:

Brian and Stuart both proceed to walk down to see what they are getting into. I completely blow that process off and stay just above the steps – I don’t want to lose nerve . Three KTM riders come up behind me; stop for a moment and talk with me. They have all done this pass already. They blaze forward one at a time until the last one I can no longer see. The steps are in conjunction with a hard right hand curve and slight off-camber slope; so you really can’t see what is around the corner. I give the KTM guys some time and then I just take off. Slow and easy….after the first couple of smaller steps I see Brian coming up the trail – he stops me and says stay to the right and you will be fine.

Stay to the right!! Yeah; cause the left is a sheer drop off…..no joke!! So I restart and keep my feet on the pegs and just go. Back wheel locking up and sliding (stupid mud tires :doh:) and poking along as slow as I can muster without falling over – thank you 51” rear sprocket. Made it down and around the pass and scooted to the bottom of the first switch back. HA! Old man did it like a champ. Brian is next and, of course, makes it look like baby food – I pretty much hate him now!
ColoradoTrip220.jpg

Stuart almost asked one of us to ride it down; but musters the courage and rides that bad boy all the way down! I hate him too…youth is wasted on dirt bags. LOL – jk.
stuartnosedivingBBPass.png

StuartcomingdownBBPass.png

Look from Brian's handlebars:
Brianhandlebarlookout.jpg

BrianBB.jpg

Stuart rounding Black Bear steps:
StuartBB.jpg

player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid1216.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fdd375%2Fmarkusarealuis%2FColoradoTrip228.mp4">

The switch backs are tight on the rest of the journey down and I believe Stuart eats it on one of them – although again, I do not have video evidence.
ColoradoTrip246-1.jpg

ColoradoTrip244-1.jpg

ColoradoTrip242-1.jpg

ColoradoTrip241.jpg

Can you tell i love my bike?
ColoradoTrip240.jpg

Switch backs.....
ColoradoTrip233.jpg

Telluride is an interesting town for sure; one gas station that is difficult to find if relying on Stuart’s crackberry phone at least. We fill up on fuel and a burger at a local pub and then we split the group. Stuart and Brian go up Imogene and I head for Olphir Pass (easy ride). Later I get a text message from Stuart saying he broke a brake line and had to come back down after going halfway up Imogene. Brian would complete Imogene and meet Stuart back in Telluride and they would take the highway 50 miles back to Ouray.
Brian & Stuart's love tunnel:
BrianampStuartLovetunnel.jpg

This is my first attempt at a ride report – so please forgive any stupidities. Blessings!!

Last edited:
:tab Man that brings back some great memories!! I especially like the shots of Black Bear. I did that on my KLR 650 and that had to be the most "concerned" I have ever been doing that kind of riding :lol2: The pics just don't really capture how steep, rough, and loose it is.

:tab I love the Geographical Survey marker. You know it has been there a LONG time because the fine for messing with it is only $250 :lol2: Had it been placed recently it would likely be more like $25,000! :doh:

:tab Great stuff! My only recommendation would be about formatting of your report. If you leave a few lines between images, it just makes it more readable and the images don't blend together. Otherwise, well done! :clap:

Thank you very much - Tourmeister! Yes, I agree next time I will add the spaces between the photos to add some clarity. I would not want to try Black Bear on a KLR650 :hail:

No footage of said "crashes" = no crashes! :lol2:

Except the awesome hill wheelie. I'll take credit for that one!

Nice rr. :clap: You guys will look back on that trip and smile for years to come. :thumb:

A buddy & I did Black Bear pass and Imogene last year. Ophir & Imogene the year before. Good stuff. :rider:

Last year we did Poopskeepie going down. It was a bugger. The year before we started going up and had to turn around and we hadn't even gotten to the really hard stuff yet. :brainsnap

Great ride and great pics. Thanks for sharing it with us!

Love that area and often base out at Pagosa for multi day rides , both street and dirt. I also have done most of those passes on my KLR, a few solo so you have to be real careful. And, that was about 10 years back on the KLR. Now, hmmm, Not.
Thanks for sharing.

Tourmeister,
How would you compare Ouray to climbing King Kong down in big bend? I want to know if the difficulty is about the same and if I can try and tackle that hill this winter .... Any guidance or advice is appreciated :/)
Thanks mark

Back