• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Three day tour of the Hill Country Three-Sisters region

Reaction score
Oh it's hot! Not the kind of weather that makes for enjoyable motorcycling or camping, but hey, it beats sitting on the couch until I have to be back at work.

I decided to take a three day tour of the better Hill Country dual-sport roads in the Three-Sisters region originating in Austin, through Utopia, Garner State Park, Leakey, Campwood, Rock Springs and Lost Maples State Park.

Not much to photograph the first day; all ground I've covered before, but I was pleasantly surprised by Elm Pass Rd south of Center Point, 7.5 miles to Old School Rd., 7 more miles to Privilege Creek Rd., then right 2 miles to Hwy 16. I rode into Bandera for food and fuel.

A short distance south of Bander on Hwy 173 to Hwy 1077, then to Bandera Creek Rd. (CR 131) through the Hill Country State Natural Area. A quick jog on Hwy 462 to CR 211 to Seco Rd. into Utopia. From there Hwy 1050 over to the Frio River, and Garner State Park.

I explored all the roads up and down the river from 337 and Leakey to Concan. Dinner an Mama Choles in Leakey, refueled, then paid $25 to camp for the night.

The Frio River, Garner SP
DSCN0209.jpg

DSCN0212.jpg

DSCN0222.jpg

DSCN0213.jpg

Swimming in the Frio, you'd never know it was over 100 deg.
DSCN0214.jpg

Camping was miserable however. No breeze and 90 degrees until after 10pm
DSCN0225.jpg

Next morning, I rode 337 west to Camp Wood, then north to Barksdale where I picked up Cedar Creek rd. The road has recently been maintained and there is a new major property owner in the area, but the basics of this wonderful dual-sport road remain intact.

DSCN0226.jpg

DSCN0230.jpg

DSCN0228.jpg

Transitioning from Cedar Creek Rd to White Mountain Rd. There are at least a dozen Bump-Gates along White Mountain Rd. Bump-gates are better than stopping, opening a conventional gate, passing through, closing the gate, remounting and continuing on, but they do present a bit of challenge nonetheless.

Fortunately I did not have any trouble, although some of the gates were weighted much heavier, and therefore much more difficult to move. The KLR is nothing if not a tractor; lots of torque and plenty of weight unto itself, especially loaded with gear, to combat the bump-gates.

DSCN0236.jpg

DSCN0234.jpg

Stopping to admire the scenery along White Mountain Rd., I had an audience in a small flock of sheep.
DSCN0240.jpg

DSCN0241.jpg

I could have sat in the shade in this desolate spot for hours enjoying the peace, quiet and solitude in sharp contrast to last nights' stay at Garner SP.

DSCN0243.jpg

DSCN0238.jpg

DSCN0242.jpg

Upon reaching Hwy 55 I rode north to Rock Springs for fuel and food. A nice double cheeseburger combo at King Burger and copious quantities of iced tea hit the spot.

Then north 7 miles on Hwy 377 to Hwy 41 for 10 miles until I reach Hackberry Rd. Known for it's scenic meander along the Nueces river, and numerous slippery-slimey water crossings, Hackberry road did not dissapoint. Thankfully there were fewer wet water crossing, owing to the persistent drought, but a few remain demanding full attention to avoid a spill.

DSCN0247.jpg

DSCN0249.jpg

DSCN0253.jpg

DSCN0252.jpg

DSCN0254.jpg

Ending at Hwy 335, I rode south for 8 miles to Hwy 2631 which becomes Bullhead rd. Bullhead is a more of a two-track road in most places along it's path. It's rougher and looser, but no wet water crossings.

DSCN0256.jpg

DSCN0258.jpg

DSCN0259.jpg

After completing Bullhead, I ride Hwy 3235 northeast to Hwy 336, then south 8 miles to Kent Creek Rd.

Kent creek Rd. is different every time I ride it. Some times if its rough but somewhat well traveled, and other times it's been cleared of debris and relatively easy. This time it was rough owing to a few flash floods I suppose, and not traveled much at all judging from the amount of undergrowth taking over the roadway. Much of the road in actually in the creak bed, now dry, but strewn with mounds of rock and boulders. At times It's like riding in deep loose sand, comprised of baseball sized rocks.

DSCN0260.jpg

DSCN0262.jpg

DSCN0261.jpg

DSCN0264.jpg

The Riding River Ranch is the primary property owner along Kent Creek Rd. It's a resort, and they have a few nice natural features accessible to their guests (not passing motorcyclist) along the better developed parts of the southern end of the road. One of these is Evans Springs.

DSCN0273.jpg

DSCN0272.jpg

DSCN0274.jpg

DSCN0267.jpg

DSCN0271.jpg

Continuing down Kent Creek Rd. eventually reconnecting with Hwy 336

DSCN0268.jpg

DSCN0269.jpg

DSCN0270.jpg

Once back on Hwy 336 I head south to Leakey, then east on Hwy 337 toward Vanderpool.

I found myself at the intersection of Hwy 337 and Lower Sabinal Rd. A quick right turn and a moderate pace down Sabinal Road Put me back at Hwy 187 near Utopia. Then north back up Hwy 187 past Hwy 337 to Lost Maples State Park.

I plunk down another $23 for a patch of ground in Lost Maples State Park. It's still too hot for camping, but at least it is much quieter and peaceful.

DSCN0281.jpg

DSCN0277.jpg

DSCN0278.jpg

DSCN0279.jpg

Here is a short video montage if I can figure out how to embed video

13-AUG-2013HillCountryMCtrip.mp4.html

th_13-AUG-2013HillCountryMCtrip.jpg

player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid307.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fnn287%2FSnuggs0802%2F13-AUG-2013HillCountryMCtrip.mp4">

Next morning was cooler and very pleasant for riding, but I could see a dark horizon to the northeast. Up Hwy 187 to Hwy 39, then a few back roads through Kerrville and into Centerpoint, then more back roads north of Hwy 27 over to Comfort. Hwy 473 east to old No.9 road up to Grapetown Rd. I had to stop along the way to don my rain gear. It rain moderately hard from the old No.9 train tunnel to Luckenbach. A short stint east on Hwy 290, then north on Gellerman Rd. to Warhmund-Ahrens Rd., to Hwy's 1631 and 1323. North off of Hwy 1323 on Althaus-Davis Rd. to Hwy 3347, Hwy 962, Hwy 71 and then into Marble Falls via Hwy 2147. A late lunch ar the Blue Bonnet Cafe, then 45 miles to Austin to conclude my Trip.

About 750 miles of the kind of riding tailor made for Dual-Sport motorcycles.

Thanks for great pictures and also video! It's great taking the camera off the rider/bike and riding in and out of frame.

DSCN0256.jpg

Help me out. Is that a tire swing hanging from a cliff? And if so, how the heck do you access it?

Yes it is a tire suspended from a rope hanging from the upper portion of the cliff.
What is not apparent in the picture is that the cliff is carved out like the letter C.
Anyone using the swing would stand inside the hollow of the cliff and then swing out over Bullhead Creek into the water.

Nice. I've ridden many of those roads and really enjoyed Kent Creek and White Mountain. You do have to watch those bump gates though...

He tried to follow through on my bump and didn't time it quite right... :lol2:
IMG_0413.JPG

Many of them are heavy and can slap you right off the bike if you don't get out of the way! Or, as in the pic above, they can squish you like a bug... We got the bike fixed and got him back on the road so we could complete the trip down into Mexico and back.

Back