• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

A week in West Texas: Big Bend and beyond!

Reaction score
I’d like to tell you about a journey I made, a “giant loop” (if you will) through West Texas which took me to Big Bend…

BB_0_zpsd322cdb1.jpg

SC_12_zps0a93f962.jpg

but as only one of many destinations. The first day started in Houston, but ended at Seminole Canyon State Historical Park…

SC_0_zps9f45c45b.jpg

where, as the sole occupant of the campground I witnessed a sublime sunset!

SC_01_zpsff6335af.jpg

There, the next day, I would see an archeological treasure known around the world…

SC_5_zpsb17a10d9.jpg

A knowledgeable local guide told us of a people…

SC_6_zps5f3e089c.jpg

SC_7_zps2c50120f.jpg

SC_1_zps61e647ab.jpg

and culture that dates back over three-thousand years…

SC_8_zps55a40c6d.jpg

SC_9_zps34a3c869.jpg

SC_95_zps66e46433.jpg

I hope you’ll come along for some riding…

SC_10_zps4167c53d.jpg

restoration and reflection…

SC_11_zpsa80c95c5.jpg

and stunning West Texas beauty!

SC_4_zps403c1476.jpg

SC_3_zps7c4e9ae4.jpg

[/FONT]

Day 2

Seminole Canyon State Historical Park is phenomenal! I’ve passed it several times headed to, and returning from Big Bend and have always wanted to give it a closer look. Their website revealed the park features abundant pictograph sites, something I’ve taken an interest in. Let me say, it’s an adventures paradise with $8 primitive campsites a short walk from a hot shower, incredibly friendly staff, a first-class museum, and plenty to see and do if you’re into geology, archeology, anthropology, paleontology, (or any other “-ology” for that matter). As a bonus, the landscape is stunning and you are at the gateway of the Big Bend region.

Day two was pretty much devoted to seeing as much of the park as I could, with plans to attend the guided hike to the Fate Bell Shelter at 10 am, and again at 3 pm. A friend with only the weekend to spare was riding his super-ten from Houston, all the way, to the park with plans to make the 3 PM tour. He would then camp for the night and return to Houston the next day (a Sunday). He’s from Europe, which probably accounts for his intrepid spirit. So, the pictures that follow feature Seminole Canyon, the shelter, pictographs, fossils, and miscellaneous curiosities. More on the people that occupied the site, as well as other sites in the Pecos River Region, can be found at www.rockart.org. I hope you enjoy this installment, and thanks for looking!

Day1_1_zps17252667.jpg

Day1_5_zps3f1a1f69.jpg

Day1_6_zpsab3352c6.jpg

Day1_7_zpsa733a7e9.jpg

Day1_8_zpsf97dc4a0.jpg

Day1_9_zpsb6878e95.jpg

Day1_10_zps0e21f7dd.jpg

Day1_12_zpsc5a980e4.jpg

Day1_11_zps775ec1fd.jpg

Day1_13_zpsa7500b2d.jpg

Day1_14_zps4df95c45.jpg

Day1_15_zps2a69b605.jpg

Day1_16_zpsf0f317bb.jpg

Day1_17_zps48cd4d9e.jpg

Day1_4_zps2ab50ae6.jpg

Day1_18_zps06ca24b7.jpg

Great pics.
I live in Lubbock, which isn't too far from Big Bend. Camping there is WAY high on my list of things to do.
What time of the year were these pics taken? I'm thinking an early Spring trip is what I'm looking at.
Thanks.

Great pics.
I live in Lubbock, which isn't too far from Big Bend. Camping there is WAY high on my list of things to do.
What time of the year were these pics taken? I'm thinking an early Spring trip is what I'm looking at.
Thanks.

Howdy, Bug,

Yep, not a bad ride at all for you from Lubbock! Spring should be excellent. Your route might take you through Monahans, and I camped at the state park there during the trip I'm reporting here. The sandhills are really neat (pictures to come).

I just made this trip (departed Dec. 13th), so the pictures are recent.

Cheers!

Day 3

A very cold night…

MBB_0_zps713ed329.jpg

…begs a camp-stove breakfast and hot coffee! After, we pack up, and motors are running by 9 am. My buddy turns right on Hwy. 90 and points his super-ten towards Houston; I hang a left towards Marathon.

Day1_2_zpsdef5feb8.jpg

Day1_3_zpsc57e335e.jpg

This stretch of highway, to me, is one of the most scenic in the state. My goal is lunch at my favorite dive in Marathon, then on to the Chisos Basin campground to find a home for the next few days.

MBB_11_zps3bfe2283.jpg

MBB_1_zps47374cb5.jpg

MBB_2_zpsbbb21a13.jpg

MBB_3_zpsb884c6e1.jpg

MBB_4_zps93327610.jpg

MBB_6_zps0bc8a124.jpg

MBB_7_zps12758c9a.jpg

MBB_9_zps6e30a32a.jpg

MBB_8_zps721971f6.jpg

MBB_5_zps24d47ab6.jpg

Howdy, Bug,

Yep, not a bad ride at all for you from Lubbock! Spring should be excellent. Your route might take you through Monahans, and I camped at the state park there during the trip I'm reporting here. The sandhills are really neat (pictures to come).

I just made this trip (departed Dec. 13th), so the pictures are recent.

Cheers!

I don't think I've ever been to Monahans or it's state park. I'll look it up on the map.

Your pics have really given me the "itch". :drool: May not be able to wait until Spring.

My little Unigo trailer that I haul my camping gear in is disassembled for painting. I'll have to wait till that project is finished before I can go.

Thanks for posting the pics. I thoroughly enjoyed them.

I don't think I've ever been to Monahans or it's state park. I'll look it up on the map.

Your pics have really given me the "itch". :drool: May not be able to wait until Spring.

My little Unigo trailer that I haul my camping gear in is disassembled for painting. I'll have to wait till that project is finished before I can go.

Thanks for posting the pics. I thoroughly enjoyed them.

You will love Big Bend, and the Trans Pecos eco-region in general; but be careful, it can get in your blood and you'll end up going out there one or more times a year! Keep us posted, and I'd dig seeing pictures of your bike and Unigo all rigged out for a trip!

You will love Big Bend, and the Trans Pecos eco-region in general; but be careful, it can get in your blood and you'll end up going out there one or more times a year! Keep us posted, and I'd dig seeing pictures of your bike and Unigo all rigged out for a trip!

Here's a pic from last Summer. We were heading to a campout in the San Angelo area.

A few months ago, I had the wild idea of painting my trailer to match my bike. :lol2: I learned that painting is a true skill........ one that I don't have. I decided to let a pro paint it for me, but I had to put the project on the back burner until after Christmas. Sooooooooo, my Unigo is in the garage in parts with a messed up paint job. Hopefully, I'll have it finished next month. I'll post a pic of the "new" paint job when it gets finished.

mini-P1050611.jpg

Day 4

Wanted to do some riding in the park, wanted to do some hiking too. Rode from the Basin to the trail head for the “Chimneys” via the Ross Maxwell Scenic Drive. Fantastic ride, even at the parks strictly enforced 45 MPH. Made to hike to the Chimneys, checked out the pictoglyphs on the southern most pinnacle, had a Clif Bar lunch, and photographed some desert plants and wildlife. I’ll leave you all with a few pictures, and wish you Merry Christmas!

CT_00_zps4f4e4480.jpg

CT_01_zps890fcb02.jpg

CT_06_zpsbe8f617c.jpg

CT_02_zps2dd04d1e.jpg

CT_03_zps404cefed.jpg

CT_04_zpsa9222e86.jpg

CT_05_zps67876f35.jpg

CT_07_zpsbacf23b6.jpg

Day 5

I left Big Bend reluctantly, but I wanted keep moving. I considered staying a night at “El Cosmico” in Marfa, but settled on Fort Davis State Park since I wanted to do some more hiking. I was packed and moving by 9:15, and had a great ride descending from the Basin, through the park, to Marathon…

CT_08_zpsb35cca8f.jpg

…then on to Marfa. Some time ago, I had heard about this Swiss café called “Squeeze Marfa” and was intrigued. I was hungry, it was lunch time, so after wandering around the town a bit and getting directions from two locals, I found it tucked away in a little alley on a side street.

CT_09_zpsb4b8d95e-1.jpg

Nothing fancy, but the food was delicious and the folks that helped me were very friendly. I highly recommend it (provided you can find it!).

CT_10_zps202979f2.jpg

…Feeling sluggish, and enjoying just sitting in the café, I checked availability for a campsite at Fort Davis State Park. To my chagrin, the park was closed for renovation. So, what to do? I considered camping locally again, but I really wanted to hike, or at least see something I’d not seen before. I’ve always wanted to visit Monahans Sandhills State Park which is the site of an extensive system of inland sand dunes. I called the park and they had plenty of campsites available and it was only about three hours from Marfa, putting me there well before sunset with plenty of time for a hike. I was off!

I arrived at MSSP around 3:30 pm!

MSH_00_zpsb6b8827a.jpg

So I queried when I checked in if it was a long hike from the camping area to the dunes (I was really anxious to see Texas’ famous inland sand dunes). The clerk gave me an odd look, and replied that the dunes “spill into” the campsite. I wasn't exactly sure what she meant, but I would find out as soon as I arrived at site 22.

Great pics and trip report!
I'd love to see more pics of Monahans SP.

Thank you! And you got it! It's a fascinating park, and it turns out that that park facilities were built "in" the dunes. Sand sand everywhere! But the sand (of uncertain origin according to park interpretive exhibits) is fairly coarse and made a soft and excellent base for my tent.

MSH_01_zps131a08d1.jpg

After setting up I began to explore and quickly appreciate the unique beauty of the landscape! The dunes are still active, shifting and building here, disappearing there; except where stabilized by vegetation, especially by a unique stunted tree called the “shinoak”.

MSH_05_zps8fd88045.jpg

MSH_07_zps88eedb54.jpg

MSH_06_zpsad729170.jpg

The landscape seems harsh, but signs of life are everywhere…

MSH_08_zps9493e099.jpg

A couple of families were parked in a day use area and partaking in “sand-surfing”, apparently a popular local activity…

MSH_02_zps088d4a34.jpg

As it began to get dark, I took advantage of the facilities (my first hot shower in a few days), cooked supper, and hiked to the top of a dune behind my site to watch the sun set. As I sat there, I began to think about working my home starting in the morning.

MSH_04_zps950ca6ce.jpg

MSH_03_zps1b0ef0fb.jpg

Great pics. Looks like I've got another destination to check out.
Desert areas have a certain beauty that I love. Of all the places I've ridden, the area around Alpine, Balmorhea, Big Bend are my favorite.

Great pics. Looks like I've got another destination to check out.
Desert areas have a certain beauty that I love. Of all the places I've ridden, the area around Alpine, Balmorhea, Big Bend are my favorite.

I'm with you Bugslayer! :rider:

Looks like a nice trip. I am jealous. I love that area.

Seminole Canyon Park looks really cool. I've never been there. Maybe I can make that a family trip and also make it a homeschooling field trip :-P I think my kids would enjoy it.

Back